Putney Student Travel | Cultural Exploration in Thailand, Laos & Cambodia

Experience the best of three incredible Southeast Asian countries. Begin in Chiang Mai, Thailand and learn about this ancient city's history as the center of the Lanna Kingdom, learn to cook authentic Thai dishes, take a Muay Thai lesson and shop for souvenirs at the famous Night Bazaar. Head outside of the city to visit an elephant sanctuary and learn about efforts to protect these gentle giants from extinction. Luang Prabang in northern Laos is your next destination. Here Buddhist monks collect morning alms against a backdrop of French-colonial architecture and picturesque temples. Trek into the hills for a village stay, learn local crafts, and swim in a beautiful waterfall in the jungle. Continuing to Siem Reap, explore the ancient ruins of Angkor Wat by bicycle. Return to Thailand for a tropical island getaway at Koh Samet, a tour of Bangkok, and a riverboat ride on the Chao Phraya River.

• Learn about Buddhist traditions, ancient empires, and modern life in Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia
  • Walk with elephants and learn from conservationists at a sanctuary in the mountains
  • Trek in the jungle and spend two nights at a traditional Lao village
  • Explore the magnificent ruins of Angkor Wat by bicycle
  • Swim, snorkel, and relax on the white-sand beaches of Koh Samet

Sarah

Thought-provoking and life-changing experience

My experience in Cambodia was full to the brim. We were immersed in the country in a way that I didn't know was possible. My trip leaders were incredibly well-connected with various people, from farmers to musical conductors, and this allowed us to get to know the country in a way that we otherwise wouldn't have. The community service projects were meaningful and were created in collaboration with the leaders of the various organizations we worked with, rather than an American organization taking control and sticking its nose where it wasn't necessarily welcome. It felt like the trip leaders had taken the time to do deep research into various customs and ways of traveling there that you wouldn't necessarily have been able to find on Google. The places we stayed in were locally owned and seemed to be a part of each community we stayed in. I will never forget this trip or what it taught me.

About Putney Student Travel

Since 1951, Putney Student Travel has offered high school students powerful travel and experiential education programs that help them prepare for college, shape their futures, engage with people from different cultures, and form lasting friendships....