Senegal Summer: In the Shade of the Baobab Tree
View Other Details
Discover true generosity; live with a Senegalese family, learn a new craft, drum and dance, find yourself immersed in a new worldview.
You never know what new beauty might emerge in Senegal. Enter a fortuneteller’s hut and ask a question about your future. Spin and dance with Sufi mystics. Discover fluent Spanish speakers on a mangrove island. Speak with a young man preparing to cross the Strait of Gibraltar to find work in Spain. This country is a collision of influences: French, Islamic, African, and increasingly, American and Chinese. Renowned for its hospitality and tolerance, Senegal makes room for all. We delve into pressing modern social issues while immersing ourselves in deep culture. As we sink into the rhythm of Senegalese life, we see that this place has much to teach us about community, global issues, and our own humanity.
Video and Photos
- Discover Senegal's rich artistic heritage, explore Sufi mysticism, and learn more about 'teranga,' Senegal's culture of giving.
- Engage with gender issues and children’s rights, immigration and unemployment, desertification and climate change, public health and education.
- Explore unique variations of West African Islam, Catholicism, and animism.
- Study Wolof, French, and Pulaar with homestay families, guides, and locals. Spend a week with a family in an individual rural village homestay with very rugged amenities, another week in a semi-urban homestay. Possible other group homestays.
- Learn about how our Senegalese hosts serve the environment through reforestation efforts in mangrove swamps and chimpanzee habitats. Give back to communities by dispelling stereotypes and assisting your home-stay families with farm chores.
Where There Be Dragons Financial Aid & 529 Funds
Where There Be Dragons offers need-based financial aid to students that demonstrate reasonable financial need and are excited to engage with communities around the world.