VISIONS Montana Northern Cheyenne Volunteer Program

VISIONS Montana Northern Cheyenne Volunteer Program

VISIONS offers teenagers opportunities for ambitious service work and cross-cultural immersion in the United States and abroad. We work with and for intercultural communities that lack financial and other development resources. Through service, authentic experience, and active exploration, we encourage new perspectives and dynamic learning.

Lack of adequate housing, sparse social resources, and the highest poverty rates in the U.S. are facts of life for Indian reservations today. For two decades VISIONS has accomplished carpentry and social projects in Lame Deer and Birney Village, a small enclave on the Tongue River where about one hundred families live.

You will meet and spend time with our Cheyenne friends, learn about traditions, hear stories and the language still spoken by some tribal members. You will join a sweat lodge ceremony, taste fry bread and berry pudding, learn beading, and glimpse the tribe’s buffalo herd that grazes in remote parts of the reservation.

North America » United States of America
The longer session is for high school students and runs from June 29 - July 19 2017. The shorter second session is for middle school students and runs from July 23 - August 3. Program tuition includes all costs except for airfare.

Elizabeth
Stratham, NH, United States

VISIONS Montana Northern Cheyenne

The best part of VISIONS is that it doesn't just benefit the communities it serves, it benefits all who come in contact with the program. Namely, it has a huge impact on its participants.
Before VISIONS, I was living inside a bubble of modern society. It seemed like everyone else in the world was exactly like me, pushing to do well in school to get into a good college, and then rushing around in life to do as much as possible and get a job and hopefully do some good along the way.
This world I'd imagined was too stressful, too competitive, and too alienating.
So I am so so thankful that VISIONS came and smashed down the walls that were starting to close in on me.
Through the physically difficult (but oddly soothing) community service we did, spending time with some of the Reservation's seniors, and participating in Circle with my friends, I realized that the world I'd lived in for the first sixteen years of my life was fake.
What was real was the cold water we'd filtered during our hike, the green plastic tub a friend and I heaved onto its side to dump out its soapy content, and the chocolate fur of an excited "Rez" puppy. What was real was the pink and blue sky of a sunset, the grey chunks of tile we fought every inch to take off the floor of the community college library, and the dust that billowed around us like fog as we drove on a dirt road.
During my trip with VISIONS, nothing else mattered, nothing else existed except those things. That feeling, of knowing a world that is wholly itself, has stayed with me ever since. For that, I am so, so grateful that I chose to participate in this program.

Rebecca
Franklin, TN

What a spectacular experience.

From the onset, we felt well-informed with expectations and tips well documented. Leading up to the adventure, both my daughter and I received emails and more details than we could have hoped for. My daughter felt like she was able to really experience the culture, work hard, exert herself physically, and participate well with a group of kids and counselors. She keeps pointing out new discoveries she made - everything from identifying beets in the fridge as something she picked from the ground or the water pump in a museum as something she used for 30-40 minutes to draw clean water. She connected with those she served with as well as those she met in the retirement home and on the "rez". She was already a child mature beyond her years but she came home wiser, more aware of others, and ready to be back next summer.

We're so thankful for the Visions team and the stellar job they do for their communities and the youth that spend just a bit of the summers trying to make a difference. And that the kids make life-long friendships in the program is just a bonus.

Honestly, I can't think of anything that needed improvement. There was one small glitch with travel arrangements but this was Delta's fault - Visions was highly flexible in dealing with the set back.

Eve
New York

MIDDLE SCHOOL MONTANA PROGRAM

The middle school Montana program was an awesome experience. You get to interact with locals and also meet people from all over the country or even all over the world. You also get to do fun community service projects for people around the town. You get such an awesome feeling after completing something here. I am already looking into doing another VISIONS program!

High-quality summer programs for teens who want to accomplish challenging projects and make lasting friendships. Through service work and cross-cultural living, VISIONS offers new perspectives and deep learning while assisting under-resourced communities. Our evenings and weekends are reserved for exploration and adventure. English, Spanish and