VISIONS Mississippi Volunteer Program

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from VISIONS Service Adventures.

VISIONS offers teenagers opportunities for ambitious service work and cross-cultural immersion in the United States and abroad. We work with and for intercultural communities that lack financial and other development resources. Through service, authentic experience, and active exploration, we encourage new perspectives and dynamic learning.

The North Gulfport area where the VISIONS program lives and works is deeply rooted in the African American community and was devastated by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. In addition to continuing the work of repairing and rebuilding low income housing, students will work with the Audubon center on wetlands restoration and other environmental projects that will decrease the impact of a future storm surge. It's a vivid example of how environmental stewardship goes hand in hand with the health of a community.

After-work activities include a trip to New Orleans, BBQs, exploring the bayou, beach time and hanging out with local friends.

Grace

Mississippi Review for Summer 2016

Best summer camp ever! I had so much fun. The counselors are the best part, I will remember them forever. I was 17 when I went on the trip going into my senior year of high school. Super interesting culture shock for me, loved the community involvement. Best food, loved the adventures, so much fun and also good social and emotional learning. My group was too small, but I still had so much fun and bonded with everyone there.

make sure there are more than 9 kids in a camp group
Michael lorenzo

An experience in Mississippi

This has been an amazing experience for me, and has made me grow in various different aspects of life. I learnt how to make my self useful in everyday life, starting from the tiniest things like making meals and mopping floors, up to restoring houses that were literally fallimg apart. Obviously all of this was just thanks to the help of our staff members who accompanied us throughout our long and hard-working journeys. In addition to all these jobs and hard-working activities I also enjoyed all the other fun stuff that we were offered to do, like canoeing in a nearby river, going into a "wild immersion", which involved us passing through a river in an extremely fun journey, straight into the wild! And last but not least, the awesome journey in New Orleans passed together with all the team and the staff members! It was a really memorable service trip, it really was!

No everything was perfect.

About VISIONS Service Adventures

VISIONS programs are grounded in a philosophy that has been changing the lives of teenagers for 30 years. We believe it is best to do one thing and do it well. That’s why across all programs we have one model, built on the pillars of meaningful...