Global Routes High School Volunteer Program in Tanzania

Global Routes High School Volunteer Program in Tanzania

This is the program you've been dreaming of.

Your experience in Tanzania begins in Moshi, at the foot of Mt. Kilimanjaro, where you explore the town and admire the ridgeline of the East Africa highlands. Bond with your group members and explore local ecosystem on a three-day safari in the heart of Africa.

After orientation, students join their host families in a rural village outside of Arusha, and begin their service project and meaningful cultural exchange. Living with a host family is a great opportunity for students to pick up some Swahili, as well as some authentic cooking recipes! Students also enjoy a weekend climb up to Mt. Meru, and enjoy the exhilarating views while staying in a hut overnight.

The Tanzania trip ends on the island of Zanzibar, as you explore the alleyways of Stone Town, and relax at the famous beaches of the spice island.

“I loved sipping tea underneath the stars with my host family and just sharing stories.”
-Georgia Macon

Travel Insurance
Age Max
Application Fee
Deposit
Tuition includes all costs with the exception of flights and personal spending money.
Ngorongoro Crater, Mount Meru

Ming
Montclair, NJ

Best Experience Of My Life!

Tanzania was most definitely the best experience i have ever had. I have grown in so many ways. I've learned so much about the culture and customs of Tanzania and i have been able to live a Tanzanian life. I felt really welcomed there and i feel like i have a place and a home in Njoro. I wish i could have stayed longer with my family but i know i couldn't have stayed forever. My favorite part of the trip was every night after dinner, being able to spend time with my brothers and roomie playing games and laughing together. Another was being able to play soccer with locals and although i didn't know enough swahili to know what they were saying, we were able to laugh and enjoy our games. The only downside to the trip was having to leave too soon. Also the language barrier was very challenging but if we had stayed longer it would have become easier. I will never forget this trip and i am looking forward to hopefully going back in a few years to visit again.

More communicating plans and scheduals between leaders and us

Ali
New york

tanzania 2014

The best summer of my life. I feel as if I have another family and home in Tanzania. Our family was welcoming and lovely to spend time with. Most of the food is pasta, beans, fruit, chicken, rice, beef but the leaders do have snacks and you can buy some cookies and such around town. There were always children to play with, and students at the school we worked at to interact and laugh with. A couple of us did have difficulties with minor illnesses (specifically in the bathroom) Everyone eventually got used to using a squatter toilet and taking bucket showers, which really isn't as bad as it seems. Although going to another country to live with another family may seem scary, it was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. Hakuna Matata Tanzania.

Make sure the group leaders can provide information about plans and maybe have a more extensive knowledge of the country.

model
New Jersey

Summer to remember...

I'll never forget my experience in Tanzania--both because it was incredible, exciting, and inspiring, but also challenging physically, emotionally, and mentally.

dbcramos
New York

I've used 3 different programs to go all over the world, and Global Routes is the best

Overall, I had a great time in Tanzania. For reference, the previous summer I went to Ecuador with Global Works and the summer before that I went to Peru with Windsor Mountain International. Specifically I thought there were 2 elements that set this company apart from the other two I participated in:
a) the leaders;the leaders of my trip were very very nice, knowledgeable, well trained, reasonable and generally fun to hang out with. They followed the rules of the program but were always trying their hardest to make it so the students had as much fun as possible. We also had a Tanzanian staff member, named Mohamed who was the single nicest man I have ever met in my entire life. I know people tend to get way hyperbolic in these reviews but in all seriousness, he was an amazing human being. I still maintain contact with him via facebook just to check in every once in a while and make sure hes doing ok.
b) the quality of the service; we worked hard for 3 weeks to construct a bathroom for girls at a school that previously only had one bathroom. It felt like the construction we did in our village of Ilkindinga had way more impact than the other 2 programs I participated in. We actually 100% finished the bathroom, which was impressive (to the leaders as well) and it really seemed like we were doing something to benefit the community, not just our consciences. Global Routes balanced and rotated the different worksite jobs so you were never dreading work. We all worked hard, but never so hard that it really became painful, as there were always some less intense jobs to be done if you really got tired. (Preparing lunch, painting murals etc.)

Also as an animal lover, this trip really held something special for me. The trip begins right away with a 5 day safari trip. I was worried it wouldn't be enough safari time but it turned out to be the perfect amount. The safari was amazing, we saw tons of animals and the drivers and guides were all really nice, fun guys. I remember we did one night of camping in Ngorongoro and I woke up in the middle of the night and peered out my tent to see a water buffalo just munching on some grass 20 feet away, it was unreal.

The final trip in Zanzibar was unreal and as close to paradise as it gets. Its 5 straight days of nonstop fun and relaxation. We got plenty of time on the most beautiful beach I had ever seen in my life and we also got a chance to snorkel, visit some really interesting island (which included more beach time), and eat incredible seafood. As Zazibar is a Muslim enclave in the religiously divided country of Tanzania, it was just so incredibly different from anywhere else I have visited.

My homestay experience was really perfect as well. It might be because I already had practice but I had a particularly strong bond with my homestay family. It was so much fun to be in a family of 10 odd people as there was always someone to hang out with. I had my 3 little guys, Lolu, Nickson and Musa who were respectively 4, 5 and 6 years old, my loving mama and baba, Cuthbert, a teenage boy like myself among many other family members. All of them were so sweet and so hospitable, they really did everything they could to make me feel comfortable, to the point where I felt a little uncomfortable for inconveniencing them so much. We had a rudimentary (bucket showers and hole-in-the-ground toilets) but huge, comfortable and clean house. I honestly did not even feel like I was "roughing it" during the homestay. Another note: Global Routes will tell you that no one in your homestay will speak English, this is false, usually at least one person does, if not more.

Cons:
Except for Zanzibar, I am not the biggest fan of East African food. Its not that it tastes bad, it just doesn't have any variety or too much flavor.

Because we were such outsiders and couldn't speak Swahili, our "free time" was pretty limited. If you want to party, there are other programs out there.

Because Global Routes is responsible for your safety, the leaders will sometimes be forced to kind of "baby" you as they really can't mess around

Be more than a traveler with Global Routes.

Global Routes seeks to foster personal development in our students through cross-cultural experiences that encourage them to step outside of their boundaries and open their hearts and minds to new and diverse people, cultures and ideas. Service