Financial Aid Available

On average, Global Routes is in the position to offer between 10-50% of our High School Summer Program fee to qualified and selected applicants. To apply for financial aid, please complete our brief application.

Global Routes | Tanzania

Walking to School - Tanzania
Walking to School - Tanzania
Sail the clear waters of the Indian Ocean in a wooden dhow
Sail the clear waters of the Indian Ocean in a wooden dhow
Tanzania’s warm, welcoming and loving people make it an ideal setting for self-discovery.
Painting a mural
Tanzanian Schoolchildren
Tanzanian Schoolchildren
Through the window - Tanzania
Through the window - Tanzania

BE MORE THAN A TRAVELER! Tanzania offers a stunning variety of landscapes and wildlife, and the opportunity to immerse yourself in the generous spirit of Africa. This is the perfect experience for the student seeking a totally new perspective in one of the world’s most awe-inspiring backdrops. Live with a local family in a small, rural village while helping to construct a classroom and teach English. Experience a Safari to witness lions, giraffes, zebras, elephants and rhinoceros. Hike the fertile slopes of Mt. Meru and then venture to the ‘spice’ isle of Zanzibar as you sail the clear waters of the Indian Ocean.

“While in Tanzania, I was able to step out of my comfort zone in the best way. This trip planted a seed in my heart that has made me realize how fortunate I am and how much I want to help others. This trip planted a seed in my heart that has made me realize how fortunate I am and how much I want to help others." - Olivia Ridge, Tanzania, Student

• OUR HALLMARK MODEL: meaningful community service, cross-cultural exchange, and living and volunteering in rural homestay communities.
  • DATES: June 25, 2020 - July 30, 2020
  • SERVICE HOURS EARNED: 70-90 hours
  • GROUP SIZE: Up to 18 students (co-ed) 2 U.S. leaders, 2 Tanzanian Staff
  • LEARNING GOALS: Leadership, cooking, hiking, construction

PJ

My Experiences With Global Routes

My experiences this summer with Global Routes taught me the importance of forming a global community and eliminating stereotypes that plague people’s minds. I have learned to open my eyes to new and different ways of life- making many life-long friendships and many memorable experiences in the immersive process. Because of this new sense of understanding, I am reconsidering what I want to do with my life, the importance of travel and service and the impact I want to leave on the planet I call home. Therefore, I can not express how grateful I am for the experiences, lessons, and relationships Global Routes has given to me this summer- and STRONGLY recommend that you take part in one of Global Routes' cultural immersion programs. .

Show-up with an open-mind and with no expectations, because I can assure you these expectations will be blown away and your mind will be filled with new perspectives regarding our awesome planet!
PJ

My Experience With Global Routes

My experiences this summer with Global Routes taught me the importance of forming a global community and eliminating stereotypes that plague people’s minds. I have opened my eyes to another part of the world, and learned how awesome and transforming this process can be- making many life-long friendships in the journey. Because of this new sense of understanding, I am reconsidering what I want to do with my life, the importance of travel and service, who I want to be as a person and the impact I want to leave on this planet. Therefore, I can not express how grateful I am for the experiences, lessons, and relationships Global Routes has given to me this summer, and STRONGLY recommend participating in one of Global Routes' summer programs.

Show-up with little expectations and with an open-mind, because I can assure you these expectations will be blown away and that you will learn so many things from the immersive trip.
Nolan

Summer in Tanzania

I chose Global Routes because my mom used to be a leader with the organization so I knew that it was a good option that was safe and provides a very good experience. Global Routes was the hardest thing I have ever done. It was also by far the best thing I’ve ever done. It taught me a lot about myself and helped me work through some problems; I have since been able to work a lot of what I learned into my life which is really nice. It was also so much fun and an absolutely amazing experience in every aspect. I loved everything we did such as safaris, working on the work-site, and living in a homestay. I also loved all the people on the trip; everyone was so welcoming and nice and it was really easy to fit right in. My leaders, Avy and Mary, were absolutely amazing. They exceeded all of my expectations that I came in with. They were always their when I needed them and were splendid in all aspects. Overall, I have no regrets about going on the trip to Tanzania because it has brought me only good things and I loved every minute of it.

Kim

Global Routes Tanzania Program

Global Routes provided an incredible experience that pushed our daughter out of her comfort zone in a healthy and nurturing way. The service opportunities were unlike anything she would experience in a domestic setting, and I am sure the impact of the trip will be felt for years to come. She came back saying it was life altering and that she can’t wait to return to Africa in the future to be of more service!

In terms of safety and logistics, I can't recommend Global Routes enough. Even though we were sending our 15 year old halfway across the globe, I never feared she would be put in an unsafe situation. In addition, on the return trip there was a major issue with the airline that could easily have created confusion and anxiety in terms of getting the group home. Adam and his team were extremely communicative and were on top of every issue they encountered trying to reroute the group. I was incredibly impressed by how a difficult situation was handled by the organization!

Katelyn

The most wonderful trip

My Global Routes experience was something I will never forget. I learned more than I ever thought possible. It was definitely a challenge but it for sure shaped me to become a better person. Our trip had 3 different phases, first the cultural orientation, the homestay and service project, then an incredible 3 day safari. Our cultural orientation was at the United African Alliance Community Center in Arusha. We learned a few things that would be super useful at the homestay, as well as bond, try some Tanzanian food, learn a bit of Swahili, and grow an appreciation for the welcoming Tanzanians. Our leaders, Adam and Mary, were clearly very experienced in these situations. They made me feel very welcomed and payed attention to me. I had gotten pretty sick on the airplane on the way there, and they made sure that every activity I was doing I was good with and was feeling better. The homestay and worksite was just an indescribable experience, I seriously do not know how to put it into words. It was just so surreal and educational. I had to kept reminding myself that that was their everyday life. I learned how to cook in the dark and with one flame, clean clothes with 2 buckets, use a squatty potty, and my personal favorite, the bucket bath. The building of the classroom was another unforgettable thing. Seeing the joy in the children and the fundis who helped us build the school was so heartwarming. Definitely challenging but super worth it. The safari was just crazy. It felt like a Disney ride. By the end of this trip, we were all one big happy and loving family. We have a very special bond. Asante sana Global Routes for this opportunity. If you are reading this, go on a Global Routes trip. You will not regret it.

in the moment, i wanted somethings different, but afterwards and looking back it all made sense.
avery

Global Routes - Tanzania

This Global Routes trip was the best 2 weeks of my life! Although challenging at times, every moment was truly life changing. I created a new family with my fellow travelers, and the Tanzanians! It was a great experience in which I furthered my global mindfulness and gained a sense of community and family with all of the people I was with throughout the trip. My fellow travelers and I have become friends for life and I will never forget the warm smiles of all the Tanzanians. The trip was amazing and I would do it again in a heartbeat. None of it would have been possible without Global Routes. I truly recommend a Global Routes trip to anyone who wishes to touch others lives while becoming closer with the ones they travel with. If you have any doubts about going on a trip like this, I can assure you that Global Routes leaders offered tremendous amounts of support throughout the trip and they will not let you down.

My advice to future travelers would have to be; take it all in as best you can. At times it can get really challenging and you might want to go home, but you have to remember you're only there for such a short time to leave your mark. Every moment matters during your time spent on a trip like this. The short time spent abroad can fly by so I'd recommend taking some time throughout the trip to center yourself and remember the reason you came.
Sam

Two Summer in Africa with GR

My older sister found out about Global Routes through online searching and introduced the idea to myself and our other sister. We each did separate programs and got hooked on homestay experiences in rural communities. Global Routes introduced me to traveling at age 16 and gave me the tools I needed to eventually travel alone. Constantly being challenged through hiking trips, service in rural communities and forming/performing in a group were key in my growth as a person. I wouldn’t trade my two summers with global routes (Kenya and Morocco) for anything!

Ming

Best Experience Of My Life!

Tanzania was most definitely the best experience i have ever had. I have grown in so many ways. I've learned so much about the culture and customs of Tanzania and i have been able to live a Tanzanian life. I felt really welcomed there and i feel like i have a place and a home in Njoro. I wish i could have stayed longer with my family but i know i couldn't have stayed forever. My favorite part of the trip was every night after dinner, being able to spend time with my brothers and roomie playing games and laughing together. Another was being able to play soccer with locals and although i didn't know enough swahili to know what they were saying, we were able to laugh and enjoy our games. The only downside to the trip was having to leave too soon. Also the language barrier was very challenging but if we had stayed longer it would have become easier. I will never forget this trip and i am looking forward to hopefully going back in a few years to visit again.

More communicating plans and scheduals between leaders and us
Ali

tanzania 2014

The best summer of my life. I feel as if I have another family and home in Tanzania. Our family was welcoming and lovely to spend time with. Most of the food is pasta, beans, fruit, chicken, rice, beef but the leaders do have snacks and you can buy some cookies and such around town. There were always children to play with, and students at the school we worked at to interact and laugh with. A couple of us did have difficulties with minor illnesses (specifically in the bathroom) Everyone eventually got used to using a squatter toilet and taking bucket showers, which really isn't as bad as it seems. Although going to another country to live with another family may seem scary, it was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. Hakuna Matata Tanzania.

Make sure the group leaders can provide information about plans and maybe have a more extensive knowledge of the country.
model

Summer to remember...

I'll never forget my experience in Tanzania--both because it was incredible, exciting, and inspiring, but also challenging physically, emotionally, and mentally.

dbcramos

I've used 3 different programs to go all over the world, and Global Routes is the best

Overall, I had a great time in Tanzania. For reference, the previous summer I went to Ecuador with Global Works and the summer before that I went to Peru with Windsor Mountain International. Specifically I thought there were 2 elements that set this company apart from the other two I participated in:
a) the leaders;the leaders of my trip were very very nice, knowledgeable, well trained, reasonable and generally fun to hang out with. They followed the rules of the program but were always trying their hardest to make it so the students had as much fun as possible. We also had a Tanzanian staff member, named Mohamed who was the single nicest man I have ever met in my entire life. I know people tend to get way hyperbolic in these reviews but in all seriousness, he was an amazing human being. I still maintain contact with him via facebook just to check in every once in a while and make sure hes doing ok.
b) the quality of the service; we worked hard for 3 weeks to construct a bathroom for girls at a school that previously only had one bathroom. It felt like the construction we did in our village of Ilkindinga had way more impact than the other 2 programs I participated in. We actually 100% finished the bathroom, which was impressive (to the leaders as well) and it really seemed like we were doing something to benefit the community, not just our consciences. Global Routes balanced and rotated the different worksite jobs so you were never dreading work. We all worked hard, but never so hard that it really became painful, as there were always some less intense jobs to be done if you really got tired. (Preparing lunch, painting murals etc.)

Also as an animal lover, this trip really held something special for me. The trip begins right away with a 5 day safari trip. I was worried it wouldn't be enough safari time but it turned out to be the perfect amount. The safari was amazing, we saw tons of animals and the drivers and guides were all really nice, fun guys. I remember we did one night of camping in Ngorongoro and I woke up in the middle of the night and peered out my tent to see a water buffalo just munching on some grass 20 feet away, it was unreal.

The final trip in Zanzibar was unreal and as close to paradise as it gets. Its 5 straight days of nonstop fun and relaxation. We got plenty of time on the most beautiful beach I had ever seen in my life and we also got a chance to snorkel, visit some really interesting island (which included more beach time), and eat incredible seafood. As Zazibar is a Muslim enclave in the religiously divided country of Tanzania, it was just so incredibly different from anywhere else I have visited.

My homestay experience was really perfect as well. It might be because I already had practice but I had a particularly strong bond with my homestay family. It was so much fun to be in a family of 10 odd people as there was always someone to hang out with. I had my 3 little guys, Lolu, Nickson and Musa who were respectively 4, 5 and 6 years old, my loving mama and baba, Cuthbert, a teenage boy like myself among many other family members. All of them were so sweet and so hospitable, they really did everything they could to make me feel comfortable, to the point where I felt a little uncomfortable for inconveniencing them so much. We had a rudimentary (bucket showers and hole-in-the-ground toilets) but huge, comfortable and clean house. I honestly did not even feel like I was "roughing it" during the homestay. Another note: Global Routes will tell you that no one in your homestay will speak English, this is false, usually at least one person does, if not more.

Cons:
Except for Zanzibar, I am not the biggest fan of East African food. Its not that it tastes bad, it just doesn't have any variety or too much flavor.

Because we were such outsiders and couldn't speak Swahili, our "free time" was pretty limited. If you want to party, there are other programs out there.

Because Global Routes is responsible for your safety, the leaders will sometimes be forced to kind of "baby" you as they really can't mess around

Staff Interviews

About Global Routes

Be more than a traveler with Global Routes. Global Routes seeks to foster personal development in our students through cross-cultural experiences that encourage them to step outside of their boundaries and open their hearts and minds to new and...