Projects Abroad High School Volunteer Program Tanzania

Projects Abroad High School Volunteer Program Tanzania

Take the opportunity to volunteer abroad over the summer in Tanzania as a High School student with Projects Abroad! Immerse yourself in the Tanzanian culture as you care for the community through volunteer work in local orphanages and care centers. Alternatively, you may also choose to participate in a Medicine or Public Health internship, in which you can get a first-hand look at the work medical professionals do on a daily basis, educate children about health issues, and even have the chance to treat some patients in a rural area. For more details, visit Projects Abroad's site for High School Specials.

Africa » Tanzania
Inclusions
Activities
Meals
Transportation
Travel Insurance
Prices vary depending on project and number of weeks
Visit website for more details on costs

Lilly
Montreal, Quebec

Amazing Experience!

I feel so grateful to have been given the opportunity to travel with Projects Abroad to Tanzania this past summer. I have say that this program will definitely change your perspective on life.
I did the medicine in Tanzania High School Special, for volunteers between the ages of 16-19. I was the only 16 year old on my trip; most volunteers were 17 or 18. However, I really didn’t have trouble fitting in. As most did other volunteers, I came by myself. If you’re worried about coming by yourself, it really doesn’t make a difference whether you bring a friend or not because everyone wanted to meet new people and have a great time! As for the flight, I travelled from Canada to the Netherlands to Tanzania. It was my first time flying alone and getting around the airport was fairly simple. Knowing that the Projects Abroad support was available 24/7 really made me feel safe!
My accommodation was perfect! I stayed at the Haus. The family, the food, the beds and the rooms were way above the standards I had in mind! We became very close with Mama’s kids. One of her daughters was my age and it was extremely fascinating to have so much in common with a teenager across the world.
The culture shock was easily managed with the support of the other volunteers and our guides. The best part was definitely my project itself! It’s truly incredible how much knowledge I gained over two short weeks. Each day, we would have a workshop or a medical outreach. The workshops were very educational and we would be able to actually apply each workshop to our outreaches. For example, we had a workshop on first aid and then an outreach where we visited a school to teach teachers first aid. With Projects Abroad, I really felt like I was making a difference and that I was actually helping others. I definitely want to return to Tanzania as an adult volunteer (maybe even in Medicine!) when I’m older. I’m still in touch with the other volunteers on my trip and we hope to someday meet up! The experiences and the friendships you will take with you from Projects Abroad will really last a lifetime!

Avery
Seattle

Tanzania with Projects Abroad!

My trip to Tanzania with Projects Abroad was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. The program was so well planned so that we would experience all aspects of Tanzanian Culture while still being safe and comfortable. With Projects Abroad I truly felt like I was leaving something valuable in the community and giving back. We planted a garden at a rural orphanage and taught the kids while they're teacher was away. Whatever needs we had in the moment Projects Abroad met, supplying us with more plants or food or whatever we asked to help the orphanage. I stayed wit a host family with 4 other volunteers and my group leaders and felt so safe and accounted for. We all grew super close to the 2 young girls in the host family and loved watching the mama and house girls cook and sing along to Tanzanian music. I don't think another program could've immersed me in the culture so well! One of our group leaders was born and raised in Tanzania and that was super cool because he provided such a unique insight and really helped us get around. I completely recommend Projects Abroad for anyone looking to have a valuable and memorable volunteer experience!

Liza
Deep River, CT

Absolutely Incredible Experience

I spent two weeks in Tanzania this past summer with Projects Abroad in the high school special and it was beyond incredible. I worked in a care and community project where we built a kitchen for East Africa Orphanage in Arusha and played educational games with the orphans at Fruitful Orphanage. We were able to spend time with the children and play with the. I have to say it was probably the most rewarding experience of my life.

The staff was incredible and we had a ton of fun.

The other teens in my project and I stayed with a host family and they were very kind and had a beautiful home. They made us our meals everyday (unless we went out to eat) so we were able to experience real Tanzanian food.

On the weekend we went on a safari one day and the other we visit a family in the Maasai tribe. (Not a tourist trap location but an actual tribe!)

At no point did I feel unsafe or uncomfortable.

And to finish off I made the best friends. We all got along so well and are still in touch three months later!

I highly recommend this program to all high school students looking to volunteer abroad and travel. I had never traveled alone before this trip and now I know this is definitely something I want to continue doing.

I only wish I could have stayed longer.

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast variety of programs geared towards those