Intern in Belize with Toucan Education Programs

At my research presentation with youth I worked with to form the outline of a youth group.
At the second location of my internship at Santa Elena Library
At the second location of my internship at Santa Elena Library
At my internship at Belize Family Life Association
At my internship at Belize Family Life Association
Girl on pepper field
Girl on pepper field

The Intern in Belize program provides participants with an incredible international internship opportunity. The program is unique as each placement is carefully selected based on area of interest and learning goals. Cultural learning is deeply intertwined to give participants a rich learning experience.

Gain hands-on experience in the area of:
Education
Health
Conservation
Community Development
Social Services

The Intern in Belize program provides a supportive academic framework to the volunteer experience. The goal of this program is to help participants get the extra edge in life by providing personalized, professional placements in Belize. The Intern in Belize is a meaningful and exciting option. We invite you to serve, learn, and explore our country through the Intern in Belize program.

• Personalized, professional placements
  • Superb support service - pre-departure and in-country
  • Extensive knowledge of country and culture
  • Comprehensive program fees
  • Exceptional program value

If you can Belize it, you can achieve it!

Join one of TEP's amazing programs and make an impact on yourselves and the Belizean community TODAY.

Applications are now OPEN for our 2020 programs!
- Intern in Belize
- Service-Learning in Belize
- Sustainable Economic and Community Development in Belize

Contact us TODAY!

Jessica

Great Experience! Would do it all over again.

I am a first-generation student so going to Belize was both exciting and also made me a bit nervous. From those who picked my group up from the airport, to the director of TEP, everyone ensured I had the necessary tools to have the safest and greatest experience possible. I interned at the Santa Elena Public Library and did presentations in surrounding schools. I was also able to visit South Belize and swim in the Carribean Sea! I made signature dishes alongside Mayan women and did the same with the Garifuna people on their home island. Reciprocity played a huge role in my experience because I gained so much personal and professional growth in return. I made lasting friendships and immersed myself into the beautiful culture of Belize. Thank you for the amazing experience TEP!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
My most nerve-wracking moment was to present in front of so many children in the surrounding schools of Santa Elena. I overcame my fear by giving it my all and going in prepared to teach the youth the information I was there to present. In the end, I was very proud of myself and felt that my fear of presenting in large crowds was a thing of the past.
DeNari

Review

I enjoyed my Belize trip. I enjoyed the people that I went with and I made a couple of good friends, some that I still keep in touch with. I really enjoyed the internship and the people I networked with through the internship. I enjoyed the country as a whole. The only problem that I had was the lecture in the beginning from a director and feeling as if I was being treated like a child and I felt that whatever I had to say was deemed as unimportant. I understand that TEP cares about our safety, but there is a way you talk to people and that was not it. Other than that incident, everything else was great, especially the activities where we immersed ourselves within the Belizean culture, it helped improve the quality of my trip. The locals are really nice and welcoming and the food in Belize is amazing.

Don’t treat the students like children. Talk to the students about the value of their safety, but don’t come off too strong. It felt as if our experiences were being restricted in the beginning because of the way things were said.
Response from Toucan Education Programs

Thanks for your review, DeNari. You certainly made an impact on the Belizean community and we are happy to hear that it made an impact on you.

We also thank you for sharing your feelings on the issue that arose in the beginning regarding the safety of you and your colleagues while on the program.

TEP is dedicated to giving all participants the tools and information needed to have a safe experience on their program. We apologize if you felt the advice we provided came across as too strong.

However, when we have students on our programs, we consider them as part of our family and we never want to have to share bad news with their families back home. We want to ensure that you return home to them in the same way you arrived.

We consider health, safety and security of all participants, our staff and our partners of the utmost importance to us.

Thank you again. We wish you the best of luck in all your future endeavors and know you are now and will always be a part of the TEP family.

Elizabeth

Summer 2018 in Belize

I had a wonderful experience interning with a domestic violence non-profit organization, Mary Open Doors, in San Ignacio, Belize through Toucan Education Programs. Toucan Education program provided great support to me throughout the extent of my stay, including providing amazing assistance during a conflict involving my living situation (which was completely out of their control). I gained a lot from this experience, including leadership skills, teamwork skills, and an enhanced global perspective. Rhondine from Toucan Education Programs is one of the most dedicated and hard working yet kind and considerate people I've been lucky enough to meet. She runs TEP and puts her heart and soul into making sure the program is a success for students. It is obvious that she puts students before profit. Although I wish the program would have done more activities or trips to the ocean, I would recommend this program to anyone interested in Belize or completing an internship in a really cool country full of nice people, rich culture, and delicious food.

This program could be improved by TEP making more solid weekend excursions or trips for students. I suggest this because we only went to a few places and the coast of Belize is absolutely amazing and I wish we could've experienced it more. They left it up to us to make our own plans and, due to the unfamiliarity with the region, it was hard to do. This could be resolved if I had looked into the country/fun destinations or activities prior to arriving. Other than that, I have no suggestions for improvement.
Kiara

Dream come true!

During the 2nd semester of my MAT program, I lost my grandmother, whom had adopted me. After that, keeping up with my daily demands had become so hard. I was used to being ambitious, but that mourning process truly slowed me down.

The moment I arrived to Belize, I started to lift out of that fog. The beautiful flowers and birds created my very own fairy tale. My guide, David, showed me how to bird watch as we were leaving the airport. Already, that one experience taught me how to patiently open my eyes to experience the world around me. I hadn't even made it the apartment yet.

I ate daily at Erva's Restaurant. I looked forward to getting off from my Internship just to hang out. Any time I felt homesick, I knew I could walk into Erva's and feel right at home.

I transitioned from taking a cab to walking. I thought about it for a long time, but wasn't brave enough to try it until one day one of my students walked passed me on her way to school dressed in her uniform. She waved, smiled, and said, "Mornin Miss!". So, I quit waiting for a taxi and walked with her. That morning, I saw how beautiful Belize was. As the people slowly hurried for work, walking to and fro. Neighbors, mothers, and sons were all dressed in their best and you got a sensation that made you ready to contribute to helping this town develop. I walked every morning after that. And every morning, I had time with myself, time with God, time with nature, and the best smiles and "Mornins" I could ask for. I was connected with the universe. I was at peace. The more I walked the more I felt at home because I would see the same faces everyday.

It was interesting working in Belize. I faced challenges that have made my job in the states a piece of cake. As a student teacher, I was faced with adjusting to not having technology, and working in the heat, plus keeping students engaged. I was so determined to be an effective educator, and impressed by the creativity of the culture, that I learned how to be creative and problem solve. This has been the most valuable skill that has helped me in my professional development. I became so in tune with nature and the universe. Through the excursions that took me on ancient reserves and through caves, I realized just how long civilization has existed. From this, I gained tranquility as I accepted that my journey is just that, a journey. I wanted to always feel that sense of tranquility and gratitude, so I practiced keeping it with me at all times.

St. Ignatius was also a huge part of my experience. My co-workers went out of their way to ensure that I enjoyed the land and culture the way they do everyday. I was spoiled with love, support, rich cultural knowledge and awakening history. They explained so much about their culture to me without taking any offense to my questions. I was sent off with a beautiful cake and a funny video of it being smashed in my face. I couldn’t ask for a better work experience.

Mrs. Rhondine Petrof, was the best support system I could have asked for during my first time abroad. She often took time out of her busy schedule just to ask how I was doing. She was an excellent listener and validated my emotions, always offering support and advice. Any turbulence I experienced, Mrs. Rhondine took initiative as if it was happening to her. I felt very safe. Her ultimate goal was for me to have a high value experience of the culture, I did just that. I have not once regretted this experience. I plan to visit the friends and family I made there as soon as possible. It really was a dream come true!

My experience was of such high value and personalized. I have no suggestions for improvements.
Sara

Belize 2017

I was presented an opportunity toward the end of my undergrad to live in Belize for a month while conducting research.

It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life thus far. I gained relationships & memories with people that I am confident will last a lifetime. A part of my heart will always live there and I cannot wait to go back. Toucan Education Program ensured they understood where my interests were and fashioned an experience/program that allowed optimal growth as a student, researcher, and plainly, as a human being.

If you are interested in studying abroad, expanding your knowledge through experience, and meeting amazing/hardworking/inspiring humans that are the people of Toucan Education System & Belizeans don't hesitate to reach out and ask me questions on my experience. [email protected] 🇧🇿🙏🏼✨

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About Toucan Education Programs

Serve. Learn. Explore: Study Abroad in Belize with Toucan Education Programs (TEP). TEP's programs include international internships and along with Service-Learning programming in Belize. As a Belizean based social enterprise , the work we do is...