Community Based Tourism in the Amazon

To support conservation efforts and provide a sustainable income, SB is working alongside the local government and two communities inside the reserve to promote local ecotourism projects. Proposed initiatives include guided nature hikes, plant medicine, canoe rides, bird watching and fishing.

SB is looking for interns interested in supporting this project. Support can include:
• Marketing, blogging, photography, videos and creating promotional materials
• Translation/guide-services inside the reserve
• Capacity building & training
• Fundraising
• Cooking and nutritional services
• Plant identification and mapping
• Mycology
• Assisting in reforestation efforts
• Artesenia and local craft production

Program Highlights
  • Get to know the functionning of an NGO
  • Work in eco-tourism and community tourism
  • Discover the Bolivian Amazon

Lucie

A rewarding experience both humanly and professionally.

It was for me my first internship abroad but also my first experience in tourism. I arrived with apprehension and fears, but the team immediately helped to feel at ease. Thanks to this internship, I was able to discover how office work is but also the fieldwork with motivated and involved local interlocutors. I am now enriched by a real professional experience but also human. Indeed, I met people of all nationalities who shared my values. I shared with them moments that I will not forget like for example going out together in one of the most beautiful places in the region of Riberalta. This moment is a precious memory for me. In addition, I also discovered life as a Bolivian, as for example being on a motorcycle without a helmet, which for me was a new experience. It's an experience maybe common for some but for me, who drives a motorcycle in France and never consider taking the road without equipment, it still fills me with shivers of excitement. I would highly recommend this experience as an intern with Sustainable Bolivia in Riberalta because I keep a fabulous memory of it.

In a short time, I think the little problems encountered will be quickly settled. It's just a matter of adaptation to a new environment.
1 person found this review helpful.