Become immersed in Bolivian culture by living with local families in either Tarija, a tranquil city in southern Bolivia or La Paz, the nation’s capital. You can select from two CHFI’s immersion programs:
Doing More With Less, Healthcare in Remote Southern Bolivia (Tarija): Focus on primary care, public health outreach, and rural health in the prevention efforts in surrounding communities. Interns will also learn about Chagas disease, an endemic vector-borne illness that is a major public threat in Latin America.
Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine (La Paz): Partake in rotations at pediatric clinics and hospitals in and around La Paz, including the largest children’s hospital in the country, recognized as a major research hospital conducting work to influence national health policy.
While not on program, CFHI participants may also organize weekend trips to destinations such as Lake Titicaca, the Inca Ruins at Tiwanaku, and the Uyuni Salt Flats.
- Students will participate in prevention and epidemiological programs as well as clinical rotations where they will observe the various manifestations and stages of Chagas infection.
- CFHI's rotations are designed to offer you clinical and observational experiences relevant to your level of medical education.
- Information sessions that highlight the health care system in that country, common cases you will encounter and other site-specific information.
- Clinical rotations Monday-Friday, working with a local physician who has opted to participate in CFHI as a teaching preceptor.
- Develop your Spanish language skills through clinical rotations and the home stay experience.