Project Biodiversity is looking for candidates to join our team as Field Assistants, from June until October, for the 2019 Loggerhead nesting season in Sal Island, Cape Verde. We need passionate, driven individuals who wish to help us protect this incredible species in its native habitat.
Loggerhead nesting season runs from June to October, with hatchlings emerging from mid-August to late December. Throughout the season the team of Project Biodiversity is made up of local and international assistants and volunteers. Our work involves patrolling beaches (night and morning) monitoring nesting and to deter hunting, collecting data, conducting research, collaborating with tourists and local businesses, operating hatcheries, running education and outreach activities and organising beach cleans. Although there is a wide scope of activities within the project, protection of nesting turtles continues to be the main focus and whilst this can be stressful and tiring, it is highly rewarding.
- As critical part of our team, you will have the opportunity to directly contribute to the conservation of this endangered species, and ultimately help build a more sustainable Cape Verde.
- The project encompasses patrolling beaches to monitor nesting and deter hunting, data collection, research, working with tourists and local businesses, operation of hatcheries and hatchling releases, education and outreach activities and beach clean-ups.
- Join an international team and enjoy an exchange of cultures while visiting Sal Island. The project staff enjoy discounts in dive centres, surf schools and excursion companies.
- You will gain valuable experience on sea turtle conservation. Maybe your first step of your new career!
- Join us from the 16th of June until the 20th of October for the whole nesting season.