ELI Abroad | Medical, Dental, and Physical Therapy Internships in Ecuador

Medical interns gain valuable experience in the healthcare field.
Medical interns gain valuable experience in the healthcare field.
Ecuador is a diverse country with wonderful site-seeing options.
Ecuador is a diverse country with wonderful site-seeing options.
Interns fully integrate with the local community creating lasting bonds
Interns fully integrate with the local community creating lasting bonds
Our connections throughout Ecuador allow you to be involved in local projects
Our connections throughout Ecuador allow you to be involved in local projects

Are you studying medicine, dentistry, physical therapy? Would you like to get some practical experience while working to improve your Spanish skills? ELI works with clinics and hospitals throughout the country of Ecuador to provide solid internship placements that match your skill-level and experience. This is a wonderful chance to add medical terminology to your Spanish language skills while getting to see and experience the healthcare industry in a developing country. Programs are available in the bustling metropolitan Quito area, in small coastal communities, or high in the Andes.

Please note that participants in this program must have a high intermediate to advanced level of Spanish proficiency to be accepted. The hospitals and clinics are 100% Spanish speaking environments.

Join us! ELI is a registered non-profit organization.

• Our connections throughout Ecuador allow us to tailor an internship that matches your interests, experiences, and skill-level.
  • Mastering Spanish medical terminology will boost your resume and help you become a stronger medical student and job applicant.
  • Working in rural clinics and hospitals that may understaffed and underfunded allow you to use your skills to provide real assistance to communities that need it.
  • Ecuador is a small, but extremely diverse country with lots of wonderful site-seeing opportunities and weekend travel options.
  • The opportunity to live with a host family during your internship will allow you to fully immerse yourself in Ecuadorian culture for a once in a lifetime experience.

Anam

Subcentro in Puerto Lopez

Thanks to ELI, I ended up interning at a subcentro de salud in the small coastal town of Puerto Lopez for a time period of 8 weeks. During these weeks I was able to expand my medical Spanish vocabulary, work side by side with emergency doctors, help gynecologists deliver babies at the clinic, participate in youth outreach programs, and so much more! I was able to interact with patients of all ages and learn a lot from the general practitioners about community healthcare in Ecuador. A typical day consisted of working in the laboratory preparing and analyzing blood, urine, and feces samples and gram-staining slides in the mornings and I would spend the afternoons either in the emergency room or in the general care section. All of the staff members were welcoming and made me feel very comfortable--they quickly became my mentors, teaching me about medicine and Ecuadorian culture!

There was no formal orientation when I first started working at the clinic. No one showed me around the clinic or briefed me about how everything functioned. However, I was eager to learn all of that and whenever I asked any of the doctors or staff members, they were more than happy to answer all my questions. It took initiative on my behalf to get things started and once they did I was welcomed everywhere in the clinic and my assistance was always appreciated. Before I knew it, I was part of the subcentro de salud's family and leaving them all was bittersweet!