Arcadia University- London Internship Program

Arcadia University- London Internship Program

Learn about the growing global workforce when you intern and study abroad in London. As an intern, you will need to be outgoing and organized to get the most out of your experience. Past interns have worked at CBS News, Simon and Schuster, Mizuho International, and JD Spicer. While interning, you will also take a course at the Arcadia London Center aimed at providing a framework for reflection and a research project related to your placement.

Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Excursions may include: Tower of London, London Street Art Tour, and a Rugby match.

Arcadia University opens the doors to new experiences, different academic learning, people, cultures and perspectives so you can build your own lifelong learning and memories. With Arcadia, you can: Enjoy academic success, explore a new world, get to know yourself, rely on us for support, and boost your resume.

Europe » England » London
Performing Arts
Psychology
Public Policy
Weekly Hours
See website for details. Scholarships available!

Kaitlyn
Austin, Texas
University of Texas- Austin

Arcadia University - London Internship Program

Overall, my time in London was great, however, the internship where I was placed was horrible. I would not recommend the internship program solely because of my bosses. I worked at a public relations agency in Oxford Circus. I washed dishes for hours because everyone thought they were too good to wash their own. I was only supposed to work 20 hours a week because of my full course load, but they made me work 25-30 hours. Arcadia was really no help. A lot of personal growth happened because of this, but I learned nothing professionally.

Ashley
Boston, Massachusetts
Emerson College

A Wonderful Semester Abroad!

My semester in London was probably some of the best few months of my life. I was lucky enough to intern with Simon & Schuster UK in the editorial fiction department, and being able to learn about the inner workings of a publishing company solidified in my mind that I want to work in one after I graduate. I worked closely on the publication of dozens of books, and it was amazing to get that kind of experience. My classes were all interesting, and I loved how our professors were encouraged to utilize London in their teachings. Two of my professors gave walking tours instead of lectures on different days, and we visited a museum in another of my classes. I lived in Earl's Court, which is a beautiful area, and we even had a maid that cleaned a few times a week. It was such a wonderful experience.

The class and project that went along with our internship was pretty pointless, and everyone else in the program that I talked to agreed. The professor that held the class (which thankfully only met a few times) didn't really do anything to help me with my internship or my work environment, because by the time we had the class telling us how the British workplace worked, we'd already been in it for a month.

Emily
Bloomsburg, PA
Bloomsburg University

Worthwhile, Lovely Experience

I really enjoyed this program-the professors are very passionate, concerned about giving you a good education but also great people and laid back (for example, we went out to the pub after our last exam.) I lived in Earls Court-the facilities were nice although the only downside was sharing rooms due to there being 6 of us. We had a basement flat in a gorgeous building, swanky area (Chealsea borough) with only about an 8 minute walk to the tube and a 5 minute walk to the nearest bus stop. I took 3 classes in addition to the internship (first with Street Kids UK) The Prince's Trust-I had an issue with placement about 2 weeks in and when I mentioned that it wasn't the experience I anticipated/I didn't think I'd get as much out of it, the staff were very helpful in helping me acquire a different, more suitable placement. As an anthropology major, working with a nonprofit organization was really great; it was a privilege to work for The Prince's Trust since it's so well-known and helps a lot of young people in the UK become employed. I love the work environment in the UK-pleasant people, lots of tea breaks, after work pub time with coworkers and a relaxed attitude. A few trips/events were offered by Arcadia such as Oxford for the day, Wales adventure weekend, Thames River Cruise and Tower of London visit. The interns also had a pub quiz night and farewell night where everyone got 2 free drinks which was nice.

I think that it would have been more beneficial if the interns all lived in the same building. As it was, I lived with 5 other interns in the basement flat and the whole rest of the building consisted of Freshman. This setup was a bit odd and since some of the housing was about 40 minutes away by tube, it made it a bit more difficult to visit other interns in the program. Additionally, the required Internship project class was a bit pointless. The person who taught it didn't really provide any information that assisted us in assimilating in British culture or the workplace. We collectively decided that it would be infinitely more helpful if it was based on that type of information rather than just facts about British employment etc.

Steve
Philadelphia, PA
Temple University

Do everything

If your looking to take classes and have an internship in London this is the program for you. Arcadia has a great global studies team for outside students and experience dealing with all kinds of study abroad programs. The London team is great as well and students from all over the country use the program. Compared to other programs students get more choices in terms of schools, classes, and living arrangement.

I chose to take classes at both Arcadia and City University London as well as an internship. This let me truly experience living, studying and working in London. I had a single room in central London close to my schools and work. Overall I got the most out of my time abroad and would recommend this program to anyone.

The workload was at times stressful and lets face it when your abroad you would rather not spend too much time working and studying.

Allison
Austin, Texas
University of Texas- Austin

Great experience!!

This program was one of the best decisions I've made in college. I got the opportunity to experience classes in a different environment and participate in an internship that was both educational and rewarding. Beyond just the required coursework I had the opportunity to become a Londoner. I was able to take all the opportunities provided by both the school and the city. Though I wish I had more exposure to other foreign students this can be achieved by taking courses at nearby universities. I made both friends and memories I am sure I will have the rest of my life and fell in love with the city of London and England in general.

I would want more exposure to London students not just other US students.

Students from colleges and universities throughout the U.S. study abroad with Arcadia University through The College of Global Studies, the first college of its kind in the U.S. With over 130 programs in 12 countries, we offer a wide range of programs in many study