Projects Abroad Medical Internships in Peru

Projects Abroad Medical Internships in Peru

Projects Abroad offers Medicine & Healthcare internships in Peru for qualified interns looking to gain international work experience.
Volunteer in specific areas such as Nursing, Midwifery, Dentistry, Nutrition, or General Medicine. You can even take an Elective course if you would like! In order to qualify for this internship program, participants must have at least an intermediate level of Spanish understanding.
Visit the Projects Abroad website for more details on this program.

• Interns will get hands on medical experience working with professionals in the medical field. Internships are available in a variety of fields, including midwifery, dentistry, nursing, and more.
  • This internships is customizable to fit your time frame, let Projects Abroad design you ideal internship experience in Peru!
  • Interns will likely stay with a host family in Peru, giving them the opportunity to learn about Peruvian history and culture.
  • This internship placement gives you the opportunity meet interns from around the world, traveling to Peru in order to gain international experience.
  • Interns can also add language classes while they complete their internship abroad. Learn more about this program by visiting the Projects Abroad website.
South America » Peru

Meghan
Toronto
University of Toronto

Transformative

When I first touched down in Peru for my placement with Projects Abroad, I arrived with the understanding that I would be taking on a mostly observational role in the clinic with few hands-on responsibilities. Once I began working, however, my level of involvement far exceeded my expectations as I was given multiple duties involving patient care. In a typical day I arrive at 8:00 am and help weigh and measure patients in “Triage”, which typically lasts until 10:00. I then return to “Topico” to assist the nurse there where I have learned proper would cleaning techniques and how to administer intramuscular injections. I at times take blood pressure and temperature of patients, and assist with the general maintenance of the clinic by cleaning equipment and folding gauze. The day flies by and 1:00 always arrives quickly. This experience has been transformative in my understanding of the medical profession as I have been given hands-on experience treating patients, and have developed relationships with the patients and staff, all while in a foreign language. I have learned the importance of communication and collaboration in a medical environment, and have marvelled at the trusting relationships between health care workers and patients in the Centro de Salud de San Sebastian. This experience has certainly strengthened my resolve to pursue a career in medicine, and inspired me to pursue more medically-related volunteer missions in the future.

Additional health and safety training prior to clinical work.

Tiffany

Medical Volunteering in Peru

Volunteering in Cusco, Peru at the government run hospital was a very great opportunity to immerse myself in medical Spanish and interact with patients on a day to day basis. Physicians at the hospital were open to teaching and made our time there interactive and purposeful. My homestay family was a very sweet couple, interested in all our activities and enjoyed our presence in their home. They cooked very traditional foods and even took us out on the weekends with them to restaurants/stores to make sure we knew which ones had the best deals. The projects abroad program was overall extremely helpful in the transition from the US to Peru and made sure we had the resources to make the best out of our time there. The office also provided workshops and social events to allow us to meet others also participating in the program. I had a great experience with this program and defiantly recommend it to others to take advantage of in the future!

Having an assigned physician would have been better in the learning aspect of things.

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast variety of programs geared towards those