Projects Abroad Medical Internships in Peru

Projects Abroad offers Medicine & Healthcare internships in Peru for qualified interns looking to gain international work experience.

Intern in specific areas such as Nursing, Midwifery, Dentistry, Nutrition, or General Medicine. You can even take an Elective course if you would like! In order to qualify for this internship program, participants must have at least an intermediate level of Spanish understanding.

Visit the Projects Abroad website for more details on this program.

• Interns will get hands on medical experience working with professionals in the medical field. Internships are available in a variety of fields, including midwifery, dentistry, nursing, and more.
  • This internships is customizable to fit your time frame, let Projects Abroad design you ideal internship experience in Peru!
  • Interns will likely stay with a host family in Peru, giving them the opportunity to learn about Peruvian history and culture.
  • This internship placement gives you the opportunity meet interns from around the world, traveling to Peru in order to gain international experience.
  • Interns can also add language classes while they complete their internship abroad. Learn more about this program by visiting the Projects Abroad website.

New Gap Semester Programs!

🌍 Cultural Exchange ⭐ Experiential Learning 📅 6 weeks+

Asia, Africa, and Beyond! Looking for an alternative to virtual learning? Our new Going Beyond gap semester programs are a safe, structured, yet flexible option to see the world while gaining valuable work experience and knowledge abroad. Half semester up to a full year - choose your own path and tasks. Next escape is November 8th!

Discover more & Apply! - Limited spaces available.

Popular Programs

Medical Internship in Peru

Observe and learn from local doctors at healthcare facilities in Peru and get international work experience.

Midwifery Internship in Peru

Gain work experience in a maternity ward and learn directly from local midwives and doctors.

Nursing Internship in Peru

Gain overseas experience as a nursing intern in Peru by working alongside professional medical staff.

Nutrition Internship in Peru

Help rural communities in Peru live healthier lives to reduce malnutrition, and add overseas experience to your CV.

Pamela

Amazing opportunity

I could have never expected such a life-changing experience in very little time. Only 4 weeks gave me the knowledge and growth of my whole degree. The team in country take care of you from the minute you land, and the family I stayed with treated me like their own daughter- it was hard to say goodbye. Also, the other volunteers I met made all the traveling during the free time so fun!

During my project, I enjoyed having a lot of responsibilities, it gave me a lot of freedom to bring my own initiative into the interventions. The local team are very welcoming and grateful to have you there. If I could have changed something from my trip it would only be one thing: I would DEFINITELY stay for longer! Four weeks was way to short. I would recommend at least 3 months to make the most of the experience.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
In one of our weekend trips, we were offered food from a local family, and we tried potatoes with CLAY! The most unexpected thing was that it was DELICIOUS. We were all very surprised by the experience.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Pamela,
I’m happy to hear about your fantastic time away with us on our Nutrition Placement in Peru. Great things are achieved when volunteers join our global community. Your time and effort are greatly appreciated not just by us but by the local community. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Irazema Arizabal, Country Director for Peru

Isabella

Cusco, Peru. Medical Internship!

I have wanted to do my Medical Internship with Projects Abroad for years, but I didn't realize how much I needed it for my growth and how it made me into a smarter and better person. I went to Peru alone and met some amazing travelers, doctors, and locals. I felt so lucky to go, and get credit for my University in New York. I was able to practice my language, live with a different family, and interact and learn from volunteers and local Doctors. The Doctors I observed from wanted me to learn as much as possible about their speciality, which I appreciated. Along with learning from Doctors, I was able to adapt to living in a completely different culture and situation than I ever has before. I ended up not only learning, but having a lot of fun on weekend excursions and meeting new people!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar thing I ate was Guinea pig! I knew it was something I needed to try while I was there, even if it was only a few bites.
Response from Projects Abroad

Hi Isabella,

I'm so glad to hear that you had such a rewarding experience on the Medicine project in Peru. You made a worthwhile contribution to our ongoing sustainable goals – you were really appreciated by the local community. You are very welcome to volunteer or Intern with Projects Abroad again!

Irazema Arizabal, Country Director for Peru

Emily

Life Changing Experience

I lived in Peru for 3 months while interning as a nutritionist. This experience was absolutely wonderful in every single aspect. The Projects Abroad team does a fantastic job at bringing all the volunteers together. If it wasn’t for the Wednesday socials, I would not have met the amazing, lifelong friends I made during my stay. We all became one family and it made staying away from home for such a long time that much easier.
Working as a nutritionist was the most rewarding work I have ever done. The locals were so open to all I had to teach them and really applied what they learned to their everyday lives. Working among locals completely immerged me into Peruvian culture. Throughout my work experience I learned traditional Quechuan dances and how to cook traditional cuisine. My Spanish also greatly improved throughout this experience!
The Projects Abroad team worked very closely with my school and gave me all the hours I needed in order for me to graduate college while still being abroad. I needed a total of 40 hours a week and even though that was unusual for them, they made sure to extend hours and find extra work for me to do in order to fulfill my 40 hours.
Today, I am currently working for a Non-Profit as a Community Educator. If it wasn't for all the presentations I had to do during my internship, I would have not been able to work my current job being it is all public speaking.

Meghan

Transformative

When I first touched down in Peru for my placement with Projects Abroad, I arrived with the understanding that I would be taking on a mostly observational role in the clinic with few hands-on responsibilities. Once I began working, however, my level of involvement far exceeded my expectations as I was given multiple duties involving patient care. In a typical day I arrive at 8:00 am and help weigh and measure patients in “Triage”, which typically lasts until 10:00. I then return to “Topico” to assist the nurse there where I have learned proper would cleaning techniques and how to administer intramuscular injections. I at times take blood pressure and temperature of patients, and assist with the general maintenance of the clinic by cleaning equipment and folding gauze. The day flies by and 1:00 always arrives quickly. This experience has been transformative in my understanding of the medical profession as I have been given hands-on experience treating patients, and have developed relationships with the patients and staff, all while in a foreign language. I have learned the importance of communication and collaboration in a medical environment, and have marvelled at the trusting relationships between health care workers and patients in the Centro de Salud de San Sebastian. This experience has certainly strengthened my resolve to pursue a career in medicine, and inspired me to pursue more medically-related volunteer missions in the future.

Additional health and safety training prior to clinical work.
Tiffany

Medical Volunteering in Peru

Volunteering in Cusco, Peru at the government run hospital was a very great opportunity to immerse myself in medical Spanish and interact with patients on a day to day basis. Physicians at the hospital were open to teaching and made our time there interactive and purposeful. My homestay family was a very sweet couple, interested in all our activities and enjoyed our presence in their home. They cooked very traditional foods and even took us out on the weekends with them to restaurants/stores to make sure we knew which ones had the best deals. The projects abroad program was overall extremely helpful in the transition from the US to Peru and made sure we had the resources to make the best out of our time there. The office also provided workshops and social events to allow us to meet others also participating in the program. I had a great experience with this program and defiantly recommend it to others to take advantage of in the future!

Having an assigned physician would have been better in the learning aspect of things.