Social Work Internships in Cape Town

Social Work Internships
Social Work Internships

Cape Town social work internships attract those who are willing to swap daily comforts for a unique opportunity to assist the most disadvantaged members of the community. Our social work candidates show an outstanding sense of humility, display empathy, and have a genuine desire to better the lives of others. By participating in a social work internship in South Africa, you will work alongside established South African social workers and gain experience and insight into this field that will stick with you throughout your career. If you are looking to make a positive change in the lives of others, especially those who are victims of abuse, abandonment, and/or affected by HIV/AIDS, then our social work internships will be a tremendously rewarding experience for you.

-Orphanages and children’s homes
-Clinics and NGO’s for those affected by HIV/AIDS
-Women’s health clinics for victims of abuse
-Homes for chronically ill children
-Cape Town welfare projects in the townships

• Tailored Internship Placement
  • 24/7 On-the-Ground Support
  • Weekly Cultural Excursions
  • Program Housing
  • Weekly Culture Series

McKayla

Amazing experience

I honestly never had Cape Town in mind when I was looking at internships abroad but I found VACorps through a random internet search. What sold me on this program was the weekly activities and culture series along with how close the staff and other interns are. The VACorps office is right in observatory, the neighbor hood that is recommended to stay at, and it was less than a 5 minute walk from my house. If I ever needed anything I could pop into the office and would immediately have my questions and concerns addressed. The program made me feel comfortable and at home and each step of the way was much easier with all the support provided. I loved being able to intern in Cape Town because of the different lifestyle and cultures I was able to work with and experience. I felt it was an amazing opportunity to experience a different way of life than I was used to and see how different social work practices were done in other parts of the world. I also loved the amount of adventures South Africa has to offer. Every weekend I was off experiencing something new and I never ran out of things to do. I stayed for 3 months and I feel that was the perfect time because it gave me plenty of time to experience my internship and get an understanding of the youth home I worked at, it also allowed me the time to check off all of the items on my Cape Town bucket list. I also went on the Mozambique and Kruger National Park trip that VACorps offered and I would 100% percent recommend going it was one of the highlights of my time spent in Africa.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I were to change anything about my experience, I would be more direct with my internship site. I would be more direct with my goals and expectations and had a written plan of what I want to accomplish while there. If I were to have done that on day one I feel like I would have been able to experience more.
Cara

Cape Town

I'd like to say I chose Cape Town because of the many different opportunities and experiences it had to offer, but in reality, Cape Town chose me Cape Town has allowed me to grow as an individual and meet so many different people from all over the world. VAC has given me the experience and opportunity to grow as a professional and give me lifelong skills and memories that I can use to become a better social worker. With the help of VAC, I would have never found the friends that very quickly became family. This is a once and a lifetime experience that shouldn't be missed out upon. I was able to call Cape Town my home for 3 months and interned at Baphumelele Children's Home in Khayelitsha. My internship placement has given me so much insight on the cultural differences around the world. It has given me a better understanding of how the unequal distribution of wealth really impacts a nation. My internship placement has also shown me that even though the people living in the townships may have it worse than some they never once give up their will or hope to keep moving forward.

Location:
77 F / 52 F
Airports:
Cape Town International Airport
( CPT )

Cape Town is the 2nd largest city in South Africa, legislative capital, the most southern city in all of Africa, and the "Mother City". This city is a beacon for all of Africa and holds a multitude of the continents monuments and natural wonders like Table mountain.

About VACorps

The VACorps internship program creates tailored placements in Cape Town, South Africa. We consistently receive rave reviews from program participants, parents and university administrators alike because we devote all our energy to one purpose --...