VACorps Internships in Cape Town

Mzolis
Mzolis
Signal Hill
Signal Hill

VACorps is an award-winning internship program based in Cape Town, South Africa. We are a unique organization that has transformed the lives of countless young adventurers through careful program design and a sincere passion for what we do. We steadfastly continue our time-honored tradition of creating legends; bold adventurers who will speak about their experiences in South Africa and its neighboring countries for the rest of their lives.

We create custom internship placements in all fields of interest. We also offer weekly cultural events and excursions that help participants establish great friendships while exploring Cape Town's world-famous beauty. Watch the video in our profile for more detail.

The entire VACorps team is based in Cape Town and we are famous for our commitment to offering the highest levels of in-country support. We are dedicated to providing participants with a safe, enjoyable and life-changing experience in the world's most beautiful city.

• Custom Internship Placements
  • 24/7 On-the-Ground Safety & Support Services
  • Weekly Cultural Excursions
  • The VACorps team is located in Cape Town (i.e., no global sales office or decentralized program leadership)
  • Weekly Culture Series

A 6-month internship is $3250, or $300 for each additional month after 3 months.

I worked for a fashion based video production company called Big Sky Productions in Cape Town. I would scout locations, photograph casting calls, help out on set, shadow the producers in pitch meetings, general maintenance of the office, as well as shoot my own projects for the company using their gear. I would work some days until the wee hours of the night, and other days I was in before the sun...

Kayla

VA Corps was the perfect opportunity for me

I was interested in this program because of the reviews I read. Several people commented that it was a chance to work and travel at the same time in a beautiful environment. My experience met and exceeded my expectations. From the application process, the communication was clear, simple, and helpful. It was clear that the VACorps team was interested in helping me get placed in the best internship for me. When I got to the country, the in-country support was crucial in terms of helping me get settled. Throughout my internship, I loved getting to know my fellow interns and the staff during weekly meet-ups. VACorps gave me the tools to experience Cape Town and helped me do it well.

Alice

My 5-weeks in Cape Town with VAC

I spent five weeks in Cape Town but I would recommend six weeks to take into account the first-week being orientation week. I would have enjoyed one more week at my internship site.

I found the staff to be very supportive and friendly and quick to respond to any question or worries.

I enjoyed living in Obz, as its only small I got familiar with it quickly and there was plenty of choice of breakfast places and cafes for coffee and a variety of places to eat in the evening.
I loved that I was able to meet people who wanted to explore and try different activities whether that be hiking or going to a yoga class and even the bungee jump.

In my five weeks, I did see a lot and I did cram quite a few activities in that time, so my tip would be budget wisely and take more than you think you will need even if it is for a shorter time than you go.

I loved how many different markets there were and people making and selling some really delicious food that catered for vegetarians and vegans so much good choice.

My internship was eye-opening listening to the stories of the girls I worked with, they showed so much strength and resilience to some of the challenges they face and I wish them well. I could see the benefit and necessity of the work my internship site was doing

Siena

I have loved my time in Cape Town!

I have loved my time in Cape Town! I chose Cape Town as a place to intern abroad so I can learn more about policy and social issues in South Africa. I have loved working at PMG and learning about how government works in South Africa. I loved my internship placement, working with other interns, and my co-workers. I learned that I am much more capable and independent than I thought. This internship and work experience is one that I am very proud of, and I look forward to applying these skills to my work and school at home.

I am going to miss the people most! I have enjoyed time with my roommates, other VAC program interns, my co-workers, and the VAC staff! I will miss the wonderful people I have met in Cape Town the most. I spent 10 weeks at my internship, and I recommend a 10-week stay. That is enough time to get acclimated to Cape Town and your internship site. I am most grateful fort he weekly activities and support from the VAC staff.

Be open-minded and approachable! This internship is much more fun when you ask questions and have conversations with your co-workers. It can be very intimidating writing reports and going to Parliament, but you get the hang of it quickly. Everyone in the office and in Parliament is very friendly. Ask questions often, and always look to learn something new. You are greatly supported in the PMG office, and people care about your experience in the internship site and in Cape Town.
Christy

My internship was one of the best experiences of my life.

My internship was one of the best experiences of my life. At first I felt as though I was paired with the wrong internship however after one day I fell in love with my surroundings. Every staff member and counsellor became my family and treated me as such. I have never felt so at home while being so far away. The work that I had to do was very tough mentally, however it helped me grow as a human being. I was able to learn compassion by doing and not by someone telling me. The unconventional ways that TZP councils women was eye opening and showed me that following a strict clinical path to for mental health is not always the best. I know that the methods and knowledge that I have learned from my internship will greatly help me in my future endeavours.

Cater

My experience here in Cape Town with VACorps was incredible.

My experience here in Cape Town with VACorps was incredible. I met so many people, did so many amazing things, and learned so much about medicine. I worked at Retreat Clinic and it was truly eye opening the things I saw and got to help out with. The nurses and doctors I met were truly amazing and taught me so many things I wouldn't trade for the world. In my time here I fell in love with the city while gaining invaluable medical experience. While I was only here for a month, I am so grateful for my time here and will never forget what I learned. My VACorps internship helped me realize my love for material medicine for that I will be forever grateful. Also, I loved the weekly activities and cultures series' that allowed me to keep in touch with new friends and learn more about South African culture. Looking back I would've stayed for longer than 5 weeks.

Being pre-med/nursing/pa don't expect too much hands on but just know you will learn so much and be amazed at how different medicine is here. You will leave with a better understanding about global healthcare and hopefully a better idea about which type of medicine you may want to pursue.
Lucia

My conservation internships in Cape Town

I chose Cape Town as the place where I wanted intern abroad because of the amazing nature and wildlife biodiversity that there is here. I interned at The Cape Town Environmental Education Trust and worked with The Gantouw Project, a conservation project that has introduced eland antelope to the Cape Flats Dune Strandveld in order to conserve the biodiversity of this endangered habitat. I interned there for for three months and was able to connect with nature and learn about the native flora and fauna of South Africa and Cape Town. I loved being able to work outside during my internship and it was very special experience to get work with and interact with the eland.
Cape Town has also been a great place to explore outside of my internship. I really enjoyed getting explore all of the outdoor experiences and adventures that Cape Town has to offer in my free time. I also loved being immersed in the Culture of Cape Town and really getting to know everything about this amazing city. The weekly activities with VACorps were also a lot of fun and provided tons of opportunities to have fun and explore Cape Town. Overall Cape Town has been an amazing experience where I have made memories that I will always cherish and I hope to come back soon!

Take advantage of all of the opportunities that you get in terms of going out into the field, participating in day camps, dong data collection, input and analysis, and visiting other nature reserves. Also never hesitate to ask if there is something you really want to do. It is important for you to communicate what you want to do and what you want to get out of your internship during the time that you are there.
Thomas

It doesn't get much better than this.

Cape Town has been an amazing place to work and live. I chose Cape Town because I had never been out of my comfort zone, and I was fascinated by the rich history of the area. I am interested in pursuing a career in government and experiencing the Parliamentary system of South Africa has been fantastic and eye-opening experience. Over the past 3 months, I met some amazing people, from all walks of life, and together we cultivated unforgettable memories all over the country and beyond! I will miss so much about this place, the hikes, views, food, people, lifestyle...ect. The VAC staff and weekly activities have been incredible as well. I'd like to thank my supervisors Rashaad and Monique for their guidance, insight, and friendliness. I had never been excited about coming into work until I started at PMG and will truly miss the office dynamic. I would advise everyone to fly to SA, stay for 90 days if you can, and try everything possible! It doesn't get much better than this.

Jenna

My experience with VAC and Cape Town

I chose to intern in Cape Town because of the rich culture that is South Africa. At my university, I learned about the resiliency of the South African people and how they draw power from their culture to change their communities for the better. I wanted to come to Cape Town to experience this sense of bravery with my own eyes. I decided to do an internship because I wanted to lend my skills, knowledge, and care to the people of South Africa. My goal was not to step into South African communities and tell their members what they needed to do; rather, I came to South Africa wanting to meet the needs of the people I intended to serve. Instead of meeting South African people halfway, I wanted to meet them where they were at.

Within my first few days in Cape Town, I fell in love with South Africa, especially the South African people. The individuals I had the privilege of meeting welcomed me with open arms and open hearts. Initially, I was scared that I would feel homesick since I was thousands of miles away from home, but this feeling could not have been farther from the truth. Even though I did not have my friends and immediate family with me, I was able to find a community in South Africa that made me feel loved, cared for, and accepted. Thanks to the guidance and support of the VACorps team, I was able to develop a sense of belonging here in South Africa.

The thing I will miss the most when I leave is the people. I never expected myself to connect with so many individuals on such a deep level. Each week at my internship site, I had the opportunity to listen to my co-workers stories and learn about their experiences living in South Africa. Every story I heard was told with conviction, humility, and love–I always left feeling inspired by their words and in awe with their presence. Hearing people's story helped me realize how important it is to create spaces for people to speak. Throughout my stay in South Africa, I learned how powerful listening is. When you listen, you help others find power in their voice and the strength in their stories.

While my time in Cape Town, South Africa is coming to an end, the experiences I had and the lessons I learned will be taken with me wherever I am in the world. Thank you South Africa for sharing your beauty with me.

More culture night series! More events hosted at the VACorps office! I loved how we were introduced to South African culture by local South African people. I would enjoy having more opportunities to interact with the VACorps team–they are amazing individuals. One on one time would also be nice; however, I do understand that one-on-ones are time consuming and difficult to coordinate with dozens of interns. Perhaps interns who want one-on-one time can sign up to meet with a VACorps member. This can be extremely beneficial to interns who are a bit more on the introverted side and would benefit greatly from connecting with a VACorps member before starting their internship, as they will feel that they have someone to turn to during their stay in South Africa.
Jenna

VAC's staff and the weekly activities were great

Cape Town is amazing, but would made the experience even better was VAC. From pre arrival to orientation, I was constantly supported. VAC's staff and the weekly activities were great. I would suggest that people budget before they come here. And definitely go to Mozambique, it's a once in a lifetime experience!

I think the application process was perfect. The effort to match the right internship site with the right person really shows.

And lastly, I enjoyed that I felt the support from VAC before I arrived, and the second I was on the ground. It eases the transition period.

Peyton

I am so thankful for my experience in Cape Town

Interning in Cape Town has been one of the most enriching, inspiring, and over-all remarkable experiences I have ever had. The places I've seen and the people I've been fortunate to connect with have really made this experience what it was. My internship site has blessed me with so much knowledge and understanding that I can now take out into the world. I am so thankful and so excited to bring these memories and experiences with me as I continue a life of exploration, service, and laughter.

My goal was to gain a deeper understanding of the immigration issues in South Africa. Through this internship I was provided with first-hand knowledge and experience concerning the xenophobia issues that plague Cape Town and all of South Africa. Working with women specifically, I gained a deeper understanding of the intersection between gender and foreigner.

Sam

My Gap Year Experience in Cape Town

VACorps was an amazing experience. I was able to do hands on work in a rapid growing business which was a once in a lifetime opportunity. VAC was incredibly helpful on setting up the internship and helping with any needs i have once I arrived, but once I got situated, VAC gave enough freedom so I could discover all Cape Town has to offer.

My tip would be to try and get Friday’s off or a half day on Friday. There is so much to explore in Cape Town and VAC does a good job showing Cape Town through the activities on Friday.

Ana

My psychology internship experience

I came to South Africa because I wanted to understand its history and struggle, to understand how counsellors and psychologists apply western theories to people living in a country like South Africa and to explore this beautiful country. I tried to control my expectations, but even if you make a strong effort not to build expectations they magically appear. And I must say, both Cape Town and Hope House have gone above and beyond my expectations. Exploring Cape Town and its surroundings have been one of the most magical things I've ever done in my life, and it has given me a glimpse of how people live here, how they think and the historic context they live in. Regarding my internship placement at Hope House... it was such an amazing experience that I will cherish forever. I felt my supervisor's trust from day one, and that motivated me to give the best of me at anything I've done there. In two months I've counseled 9 clients (7-8 sessions each) and co-facilitated two different groups at Levana Primary and Lavender Hill High, and I couldn't be happier with how much I've learned from my clients and the learners, but specially from my coworkers at Hope House. The kindness and hard work of people working at HH inspired me every day. Specially my supervisor, Mandy. She is so talented at what she does, she is one of the most talented persons I've ever met. She treats everyone with love and she passes her wisdom onto everyone around her. You can tell she is one of the people in this world who really cares for people around her, and wants to support anyone in need anytime she has the opportunity to do so. I will forever be grateful to Hope House and VAC, for choosing such an amazing placement for me. Thank you!

Enjoy every minute of it, be mindful, open to learning and to constructive feedback.
Sarah

Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to

Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to. There is access to everything and always so much to do. I loved all the opportunities to be outdoors and find adventure. Through VACorps I have met so many wonderful people who have made exploring this country such a wonderful experience. From hikes and sunset beach picnics to shark cage diving and swimming with penguins, I was never bored and I have memories that will stay with me forever. VACorps was especially great because of all the wonderful staff and the cultural and friday activities. I learned and explored more than I ever could alone. Two and a half months is definitely not enough time in this beautiful city.

Sylvie

Came for the internship, stayed for the friendships

I chose Cape Town to explore what the medical profession would be like away from the United States. My experience was enlightening and exceptionally interesting, but more importantly, VAC internships set me up with a unique opportunity to meet amazing people through the program. I have made amazing friends and gone on adventures of a lifetime (especially the Mozambique trip), and I would do it again a thousand more times. I have seen myself change for the better in all aspects of my life, and I have this program to thank for that. I will miss the party block at 89/91 station road, and especially Rust cafe. My only advice is to actually prepare a budget for your time here.

Kayla

I grew immensely both as a professional and as a person

I decided to choose Cape Town do intern at due to the amazing placement VAC was able to find for me. I loved interning at Inala mental health centre and was able to grow immensely both as a professional and as a person. I learned more about my skills in group work and individual work throughout my internship. I was tested in a practical way many of the things learned in school. It was a great opportunity to actually apply what i have been taught during my college career. I loved living at 91 station road. I met some amazing friends and was able to step out of my comfort zone and try so many new things. I loved the constant adventure that was always available in cape town. I loved the hiking, the views and the people i saw and met along my way. The weekly activities were a great way to become acclimated and meet new people who were also in VAC. I really enjoyed the activities offered and think that the staff did a good job picking things everyone would be interested in. My favourite activity was the vineyards and the outdoor movie.
My advise for people is to really budget out your trip before coming here, i ended up splurging more then i thought. Take every opportunity that comes your way and don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone, you wont regret it!