VACorps Internships in Cape Town

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, VACorps has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Tuning the Vine
Tuning the Vine
Mzolis
Mzolis
Signal Hill
Signal Hill

VACorps is an award-winning internship program based in Cape Town, South Africa. We are a unique organization that has transformed the lives of countless young adventurers through careful program design and a sincere passion for what we do. We steadfastly continue our time-honored tradition of creating legends; bold adventurers who will speak about their experiences in South Africa and its neighboring countries for the rest of their lives.

We create custom internship placements in all fields of interest. We also offer weekly cultural events and excursions that help participants establish great friendships while exploring Cape Town's world-famous beauty. Watch the video in our profile for more detail.

The entire VACorps team is based in Cape Town and we are famous for our commitment to offering the highest levels of in-country support. We are dedicated to providing participants with a safe, enjoyable and life-changing experience in the world's most beautiful city.

• Custom Internship Placements
  • 24/7 On-the-Ground Safety & Support Services
  • Weekly Cultural Excursions
  • The VACorps team is located in Cape Town (i.e., no global sales office or decentralized program leadership)
  • Weekly Culture Series

A 6-month internship is $3250, or $300 for each additional month after 3 months.

I worked for a fashion based video production company called Big Sky Productions in Cape Town. I would scout locations, photograph casting calls, help out on set, shadow the producers in pitch meetings, general maintenance of the office, as well as shoot my own projects for the company using their gear. I would work some days until the wee hours of the night, and other days I was in before the sun...

Jordan

Highly Recommended!

I found VACorps because I was looking for an independent study abroad program in Africa. I was interested in the program description and the description of Cape Town. However, I was convinced that I wanted to go when I read the testimonials of VAC alumni. People talked about receiving guidance and support and getting the opportunity to explore the city. This was true of my experience as well. After reading testimonials, I had high expectations and the experience I had met all of those expectations.

Enjoy the experience and initiate communication. This was a very enjoyable experience, but it could be easy to get caught up in the details of getting deliverables done well. I would encourage people to step back every now and then and take time to appreciate what they are learning and what they are contributing.
Jordan

An enriching experience

I chose to undertake an internship to make myself more employable - giving myself an edge over students with similar qualifications in the industry. I decided to do this in Cape Town because I thought completing a business internship there would be very interesting in such a rapidly growing economy. My favorite thing about interning in Cape Town was how relaxed everyone is - it is a very calm and friendly environment to work in. In my time here I learned that I am a lot more extroverted than I first thought - ever since I got here I just always want to be around people. On that note, the thing I will miss most is all of the amazing relationships I have formed here. The VAC staff were absolutely amazing - everyone was very welcoming and friendly - always with a smile and I really appreciated the care they took in introducing us to the neighborhood and ensuring that we knew how to be safe. The weekly activities were really fun although I feel like there was too strong a focus on wine tasting. I think the thing I most appreciated was the introduction to the neighborhood and the instruction on how to move about safely.

I would advise people to do 3 months because 6 weeks was definitely not enough time for me! They should prepare by reading up on the history of Cape Town and maybe spend some time at the gym to prepare for all of the hiking!
Jonny

Incredible memories and a fun and impactful work experience

At my internships site, interns are given such amazing opportunities and responsibilities, regardless of qualification/experience, which I really loved. I also appreciated the large network of other interns that enriched my internship. The general tone in the office was serious and passionate but balanced with friendliness and humor, which made for a fun and impactful work experience. My most memorable moments included teaching a digital literacy course and when one of the clients from the Employment Access Program brought us flowers to thank us for helping him find a job.

I will definitely most miss the people I have met through VAC, RentARoom, and my internship site. I love Cape Town and how there is so much to see and do, but I am lucky that I am going to be back in the near future. I think my time in Cape Town taught me that I really love meeting and interacting with new and different people in work and outside of work. I am most grateful for the people at VA Corps. I really appreciated how quickly Kholi, Khuselwa, Loyiso, and the rest of the team were to care for and love all the interns. I also enjoyed how the VAC team hangs out and does activities with all the interns because it allows us to create lasting memories and build a strong, genuine bond.

I would suggest switching around the schedule of orientation a bit. I think that some people can come away from VAC without that much knowledge about South African culture/realities and current events. If that could play a bigger role in orientation week, then I think people would make even richer and meaningful connections while in Cape Town.
Kayla

VA Corps was the perfect opportunity for me

I was interested in this program because of the reviews I read. Several people commented that it was a chance to work and travel at the same time in a beautiful environment. My experience met and exceeded my expectations. From the application process, the communication was clear, simple, and helpful. It was clear that the VACorps team was interested in helping me get placed in the best internship for me. When I got to the country, the in-country support was crucial in terms of helping me get settled. Throughout my internship, I loved getting to know my fellow interns and the staff during weekly meet-ups. VACorps gave me the tools to experience Cape Town and helped me do it well.

Alice

My 5-weeks in Cape Town with VAC

I spent five weeks in Cape Town but I would recommend six weeks to take into account the first-week being orientation week. I would have enjoyed one more week at my internship site.

I found the staff to be very supportive and friendly and quick to respond to any question or worries.

I enjoyed living in Obz, as its only small I got familiar with it quickly and there was plenty of choice of breakfast places and cafes for coffee and a variety of places to eat in the evening.
I loved that I was able to meet people who wanted to explore and try different activities whether that be hiking or going to a yoga class and even the bungee jump.

In my five weeks, I did see a lot and I did cram quite a few activities in that time, so my tip would be budget wisely and take more than you think you will need even if it is for a shorter time than you go.

I loved how many different markets there were and people making and selling some really delicious food that catered for vegetarians and vegans so much good choice.

My internship was eye-opening listening to the stories of the girls I worked with, they showed so much strength and resilience to some of the challenges they face and I wish them well. I could see the benefit and necessity of the work my internship site was doing

Siena

I have loved my time in Cape Town!

I have loved my time in Cape Town! I chose Cape Town as a place to intern abroad so I can learn more about policy and social issues in South Africa. I have loved working at PMG and learning about how government works in South Africa. I loved my internship placement, working with other interns, and my co-workers. I learned that I am much more capable and independent than I thought. This internship and work experience is one that I am very proud of, and I look forward to applying these skills to my work and school at home.

I am going to miss the people most! I have enjoyed time with my roommates, other VAC program interns, my co-workers, and the VAC staff! I will miss the wonderful people I have met in Cape Town the most. I spent 10 weeks at my internship, and I recommend a 10-week stay. That is enough time to get acclimated to Cape Town and your internship site. I am most grateful fort he weekly activities and support from the VAC staff.

Be open-minded and approachable! This internship is much more fun when you ask questions and have conversations with your co-workers. It can be very intimidating writing reports and going to Parliament, but you get the hang of it quickly. Everyone in the office and in Parliament is very friendly. Ask questions often, and always look to learn something new. You are greatly supported in the PMG office, and people care about your experience in the internship site and in Cape Town.
Christy

My internship was one of the best experiences of my life.

My internship was one of the best experiences of my life. At first I felt as though I was paired with the wrong internship however after one day I fell in love with my surroundings. Every staff member and counsellor became my family and treated me as such. I have never felt so at home while being so far away. The work that I had to do was very tough mentally, however it helped me grow as a human being. I was able to learn compassion by doing and not by someone telling me. The unconventional ways that TZP councils women was eye opening and showed me that following a strict clinical path to for mental health is not always the best. I know that the methods and knowledge that I have learned from my internship will greatly help me in my future endeavours.

Cater

My experience here in Cape Town with VACorps was incredible.

My experience here in Cape Town with VACorps was incredible. I met so many people, did so many amazing things, and learned so much about medicine. I worked at Retreat Clinic and it was truly eye opening the things I saw and got to help out with. The nurses and doctors I met were truly amazing and taught me so many things I wouldn't trade for the world. In my time here I fell in love with the city while gaining invaluable medical experience. While I was only here for a month, I am so grateful for my time here and will never forget what I learned. My VACorps internship helped me realize my love for material medicine for that I will be forever grateful. Also, I loved the weekly activities and cultures series' that allowed me to keep in touch with new friends and learn more about South African culture. Looking back I would've stayed for longer than 5 weeks.

Being pre-med/nursing/pa don't expect too much hands on but just know you will learn so much and be amazed at how different medicine is here. You will leave with a better understanding about global healthcare and hopefully a better idea about which type of medicine you may want to pursue.