VACorps Internships in Cape Town

VACorps is an award-winning internship program based in Cape Town, South Africa. We are a unique organization that has transformed the lives of countless young adventurers through careful program design and a sincere passion for what we do. We steadfastly continue our time-honored tradition of creating legends; bold adventurers who will speak about their experiences in South Africa and its neighboring countries for the rest of their lives.

We create custom internship placements in all fields of interest. We also offer weekly cultural events and excursions that help participants establish great friendships while exploring Cape Town's world-famous beauty. Watch the video in our profile for more detail.

The entire VACorps team is based in Cape Town and we are famous for our commitment to offering the highest levels of in-country support. We are dedicated to providing participants with a safe, enjoyable and life-changing experience in the world's most beautiful city.

• Custom Internship Placements
  • 24/7 On-the-Ground Safety & Support Services
  • Weekly Cultural Excursions
  • The VACorps team is located in Cape Town (i.e., no global sales office or decentralized program leadership)
  • Weekly Culture Series

A 6-month internship is $3250, or $300 for each additional month after 3 months.

I worked for a fashion based video production company called Big Sky Productions in Cape Town. I would scout locations, photograph casting calls, help out on set, shadow the producers in pitch meetings, general maintenance of the office, as well as shoot my own projects for the company using their gear. I would work some days until the wee hours of the night, and other days I was in before the sun...

• 9-10 rating 90.7%
  • 7-8 rating 9.3%
Valerie

A beautiful, unique and enriching experience

Visiting South Africa was always a dream of mine. It seemed so far away but yet a place full of beauty and adventure. During this crossroad in my life, and as an adult changing careers I thought: what better place to end this transition than in a beautiful city like Cape Town. I saw various internship websites and when I came across VACorps and read about the various programs and testimonials of other interns immediately gave me lots of positivity and trust. Since the first email, I sent VACorps until the end of my application process to come to Cape Town everyone was so welcoming, patient and made sure I understood the whole process while making me feel safe and confident in my decision. I really enjoyed going to Cape Point on one of the weekly activities with all the interns and part of the VACorps staff, it was a beautiful and unforgettable experience. One of the biggest highlights of my trip was going on the Garden Route Tour, I had just landed from Spain 2 days before, and here I was 2 days later going on a beautiful safari with the whole team, it really made my trip start with a big bang! I loved every second of it, and I will treasure those memories forever. I always felt safe and taken care of by the team as well as my internship site felt like one big family. I never felt alone or unprotected being so far away from home. The warmth and kindness everyone showed me mean the world to me and a little piece of my heart will always remain in Cape Town.

I recommend all interns looking for an adventure of a lifetime, an unforgettable experience while learning and gaining experience in their respective careers to choose VACorps. Whether you are in your gap year or changing careers at a later stage of your life like me, this is a beautiful, unique, and enriching experience. I learned a lot at my internship practice at the psychiatric clinic where I worked, it has given me a better understanding of what to expect in my new career as a psychologist, and I have also learned a lot about myself. I am forever grateful for the guidance, support, and everything I learned during my internship. I always felt part of their team, I never felt like an outsider nor even as an intern. Thank you for making me feel valued and for teaching me about all the unique experiences the world of psychology has to offer. I still have much to learn as someone starting in the world of psychology, but if my experience at the Clinic is a small taste of what is yet to come, then I am very happy and excited about the future.”

Learn as much as you can, don't be afraid to ask questions, and get involved. Being an intern is the best way to learn from your mistakes on the job before you get out in the "real world" so explore everything you can about your career while you are here.
Valerie

A beautiful, unique and enriching experience

1 person found this review helpful.
Ziba

I loved every minute of my Time in Cape Town

The last three months in Cape Town were undoubtedly some of the best of my life! The city itself is unrivaled in natural beauty. VACorps provides a program packed with interesting experiences, and the community we formed embarked on more adventures than some have in a lifetime. The summer months were heavenly with perfect temperatures for beach days, hikes, surfing, and pool parties. Cape Town is insanely trending with very cool venues. I loved every minute. I also really feel blessed to have worked at my internship site, a psychiatric clinic for adolescents, where each employee was professional and pleasant to work with. I’ll never forget the lessons I learned or the people I’ve met. Thank you VACorps for making so many dreams come true and for providing us with a community to experience it all with.

The psychiatric clinic where I worked is fantastic! You get lots of exposure with a lot of observation hours. If you aren't licensed, you're a bit limited as to what therapies you can lead... so that's something to be aware of. However, all of the professionals here love talking about their work and answering questions. You also get to know the patients much more than you would in other countries or institutions which I really appreciated. It made for a much more meaningful experience.
Mollie

Cape Town is the perfect place to learn!

I came to South Africa because I wanted an opportunity to learn about occupational therapy in a context outside of the United States to see the similarities and differences of our scope of practice in another culture. I also wanted to learn how to provide care in a setting with different resources than I am used to so I can push myself, grow my skill set, and gain an outside perspective. Plus, South Africa seemed like such a beautiful, diverse country-what a perfect place to learn! I've been interning in the occupational therapy department a children's hospital, primarily in the neurology and neurosurgery wards, providing treatment to children with traumatic brain injuries and other neurologic conditions.I've also seen patients in the outpatient (day) clinic ranging from children with severe burns to children with Autism or developmental delays. Working here has really taught me about healthcare in another context and helped me learn how to provide the best care possible while navigating differences in culture, language, or resources.

Outside of work, I have absolutely loved Cape Town! I will never forget all of the beautiful views, wonderful people, and delicious food! I loved all there was to do! I explored so many markets, hikes, beaches, and I feel like I barely scratched the surface! It was always fun to have a weekly outing coordinated by VACorps as well. It was a fun way to see different areas with other interns. VACorps provided excellent support the entire time I was here, and I was amazed at how quickly I felt at home. Two and a half months certainly flew by, and I know that I will be back for more soon!

Be flexible but comfortable advocating for yourself/your learning. It would also be helpful to learn some basic Afrikaans and Xhosa phrases!
Peace

VACorps was my home away from home

I found out about Vacorps through my school program. During my stay in Cape Town, I have felt like Vacorps was my home away from home. When I was sick each team member was there to help and I never felt alone. They were a great support system and also took us to many cool places we wouldn’t have been able to go and experience without their help. During my internship, I enjoyed helping add on to the leave policy for the benefits team. I liked how I helped plan the launch of the new EAP. I liked how I got a chance to make new training on effective communication that they will hopefully launch even after I’m gone from the company. I would definitely do another Vacorps internship.

The orientation process is long, and it will likely take weeks for you to really get into a groove at your internship site, as well as getting to know the city.
Kaila

An incredible internship experience in a one of a kind city

I think that VACorps provides great in-country support, and the orientation was great. I am very grateful to VACorps for connecting me with my internship site. I had the opportunity to work with such an inspiring group of people throughout the past few months. They welcomed me as part of the team and I feel like I was able to make a strong contribution to the organization. I had the absolute best time exploring Cape Town - it is truly a one of a kind city. I will miss the hikes, sunsets, markets, and the list goes on.

Try to help different team members with projects to get a sense of what everyone does.
Go to as many team activities as possible - the team is awesome.
Go through internship site materials (online content, program overviews, etc.) to understand how the business works.
Jordan

Highly Recommended!

I found VACorps because I was looking for an independent study abroad program in Africa. I was interested in the program description and the description of Cape Town. However, I was convinced that I wanted to go when I read the testimonials of VAC alumni. People talked about receiving guidance and support and getting the opportunity to explore the city. This was true of my experience as well. After reading testimonials, I had high expectations and the experience I had met all of those expectations.

Enjoy the experience and initiate communication. This was a very enjoyable experience, but it could be easy to get caught up in the details of getting deliverables done well. I would encourage people to step back every now and then and take time to appreciate what they are learning and what they are contributing.
Jordan

An enriching experience

I chose to undertake an internship to make myself more employable - giving myself an edge over students with similar qualifications in the industry. I decided to do this in Cape Town because I thought completing a business internship there would be very interesting in such a rapidly growing economy. My favorite thing about interning in Cape Town was how relaxed everyone is - it is a very calm and friendly environment to work in. In my time here I learned that I am a lot more extroverted than I first thought - ever since I got here I just always want to be around people. On that note, the thing I will miss most is all of the amazing relationships I have formed here. The VAC staff were absolutely amazing - everyone was very welcoming and friendly - always with a smile and I really appreciated the care they took in introducing us to the neighborhood and ensuring that we knew how to be safe. The weekly activities were really fun although I feel like there was too strong a focus on wine tasting. I think the thing I most appreciated was the introduction to the neighborhood and the instruction on how to move about safely.

I would advise people to do 3 months because 6 weeks was definitely not enough time for me! They should prepare by reading up on the history of Cape Town and maybe spend some time at the gym to prepare for all of the hiking!