VACorps Internships in Cape Town

VACorps is an award-winning internship program based in Cape Town, South Africa. We are a unique organization that has transformed the lives of countless young adventurers through careful program design and a sincere passion for what we do. We steadfastly continue our time-honored tradition of creating legends; bold adventurers who will speak about their experiences in South Africa and its neighboring countries for the rest of their lives.

We create custom internship placements in all fields of interest. We also offer weekly cultural events and excursions that help participants establish great friendships while exploring Cape Town's world-famous beauty. Watch the video in our profile for more detail.

The entire VACorps team is based in Cape Town and we are famous for our commitment to offering the highest levels of in-country support. We are dedicated to providing participants with a safe, enjoyable and life-changing experience in the world's most beautiful city.

• Custom Internship Placements
  • 24/7 On-the-Ground Safety & Support Services
  • Weekly Cultural Excursions
  • The VACorps team is located in Cape Town (i.e., no global sales office or decentralized program leadership)
  • Weekly Culture Series

A 6-month internship is $3250, or $300 for each additional month after 3 months.

I worked for a fashion based video production company called Big Sky Productions in Cape Town. I would scout locations, photograph casting calls, help out on set, shadow the producers in pitch meetings, general maintenance of the office, as well as shoot my own projects for the company using their gear. I would work some days until the wee hours of the night, and other days I was in before the sun...

• 9-10 rating 90.36%
  • 7-8 rating 9.64%
Mollie

Cape Town is the perfect place to learn!

I came to South Africa because I wanted an opportunity to learn about occupational therapy in a context outside of the United States to see the similarities and differences of our scope of practice in another culture. I also wanted to learn how to provide care in a setting with different resources than I am used to so I can push myself, grow my skill set, and gain an outside perspective. Plus, South Africa seemed like such a beautiful, diverse country-what a perfect place to learn! I've been interning in the occupational therapy department a children's hospital, primarily in the neurology and neurosurgery wards, providing treatment to children with traumatic brain injuries and other neurologic conditions.I've also seen patients in the outpatient (day) clinic ranging from children with severe burns to children with Autism or developmental delays. Working here has really taught me about healthcare in another context and helped me learn how to provide the best care possible while navigating differences in culture, language, or resources.

Outside of work, I have absolutely loved Cape Town! I will never forget all of the beautiful views, wonderful people, and delicious food! I loved all there was to do! I explored so many markets, hikes, beaches, and I feel like I barely scratched the surface! It was always fun to have a weekly outing coordinated by VACorps as well. It was a fun way to see different areas with other interns. VACorps provided excellent support the entire time I was here, and I was amazed at how quickly I felt at home. Two and a half months certainly flew by, and I know that I will be back for more soon!

Be flexible but comfortable advocating for yourself/your learning. It would also be helpful to learn some basic Afrikaans and Xhosa phrases!
Peace

VACorps was my home away from home

I found out about Vacorps through my school program. During my stay in Cape Town, I have felt like Vacorps was my home away from home. When I was sick each team member was there to help and I never felt alone. They were a great support system and also took us to many cool places we wouldn’t have been able to go and experience without their help. During my internship, I enjoyed helping add on to the leave policy for the benefits team. I liked how I helped plan the launch of the new EAP. I liked how I got a chance to make new training on effective communication that they will hopefully launch even after I’m gone from the company. I would definitely do another Vacorps internship.

The orientation process is long, and it will likely take weeks for you to really get into a groove at your internship site, as well as getting to know the city.
Kaila

An incredible internship experience in a one of a kind city

I think that VACorps provides great in-country support, and the orientation was great. I am very grateful to VACorps for connecting me with my internship site. I had the opportunity to work with such an inspiring group of people throughout the past few months. They welcomed me as part of the team and I feel like I was able to make a strong contribution to the organization. I had the absolute best time exploring Cape Town - it is truly a one of a kind city. I will miss the hikes, sunsets, markets, and the list goes on.

Try to help different team members with projects to get a sense of what everyone does.
Go to as many team activities as possible - the team is awesome.
Go through internship site materials (online content, program overviews, etc.) to understand how the business works.
Jordan

Highly Recommended!

I found VACorps because I was looking for an independent study abroad program in Africa. I was interested in the program description and the description of Cape Town. However, I was convinced that I wanted to go when I read the testimonials of VAC alumni. People talked about receiving guidance and support and getting the opportunity to explore the city. This was true of my experience as well. After reading testimonials, I had high expectations and the experience I had met all of those expectations.

Enjoy the experience and initiate communication. This was a very enjoyable experience, but it could be easy to get caught up in the details of getting deliverables done well. I would encourage people to step back every now and then and take time to appreciate what they are learning and what they are contributing.
Jordan

An enriching experience

I chose to undertake an internship to make myself more employable - giving myself an edge over students with similar qualifications in the industry. I decided to do this in Cape Town because I thought completing a business internship there would be very interesting in such a rapidly growing economy. My favorite thing about interning in Cape Town was how relaxed everyone is - it is a very calm and friendly environment to work in. In my time here I learned that I am a lot more extroverted than I first thought - ever since I got here I just always want to be around people. On that note, the thing I will miss most is all of the amazing relationships I have formed here. The VAC staff were absolutely amazing - everyone was very welcoming and friendly - always with a smile and I really appreciated the care they took in introducing us to the neighborhood and ensuring that we knew how to be safe. The weekly activities were really fun although I feel like there was too strong a focus on wine tasting. I think the thing I most appreciated was the introduction to the neighborhood and the instruction on how to move about safely.

I would advise people to do 3 months because 6 weeks was definitely not enough time for me! They should prepare by reading up on the history of Cape Town and maybe spend some time at the gym to prepare for all of the hiking!
Kayla

VA Corps was the perfect opportunity for me

I was interested in this program because of the reviews I read. Several people commented that it was a chance to work and travel at the same time in a beautiful environment. My experience met and exceeded my expectations. From the application process, the communication was clear, simple, and helpful. It was clear that the VACorps team was interested in helping me get placed in the best internship for me. When I got to the country, the in-country support was crucial in terms of helping me get settled. Throughout my internship, I loved getting to know my fellow interns and the staff during weekly meet-ups. VACorps gave me the tools to experience Cape Town and helped me do it well.

Alice

My 5-weeks in Cape Town with VAC

I spent five weeks in Cape Town but I would recommend six weeks to take into account the first-week being orientation week. I would have enjoyed one more week at my internship site.

I found the staff to be very supportive and friendly and quick to respond to any question or worries.

I enjoyed living in Obz, as its only small I got familiar with it quickly and there was plenty of choice of breakfast places and cafes for coffee and a variety of places to eat in the evening.
I loved that I was able to meet people who wanted to explore and try different activities whether that be hiking or going to a yoga class and even the bungee jump.

In my five weeks, I did see a lot and I did cram quite a few activities in that time, so my tip would be budget wisely and take more than you think you will need even if it is for a shorter time than you go.

I loved how many different markets there were and people making and selling some really delicious food that catered for vegetarians and vegans so much good choice.

My internship was eye-opening listening to the stories of the girls I worked with, they showed so much strength and resilience to some of the challenges they face and I wish them well. I could see the benefit and necessity of the work my internship site was doing

Siena

I have loved my time in Cape Town!

I have loved my time in Cape Town! I chose Cape Town as a place to intern abroad so I can learn more about policy and social issues in South Africa. I have loved working at PMG and learning about how government works in South Africa. I loved my internship placement, working with other interns, and my co-workers. I learned that I am much more capable and independent than I thought. This internship and work experience is one that I am very proud of, and I look forward to applying these skills to my work and school at home.

I am going to miss the people most! I have enjoyed time with my roommates, other VAC program interns, my co-workers, and the VAC staff! I will miss the wonderful people I have met in Cape Town the most. I spent 10 weeks at my internship, and I recommend a 10-week stay. That is enough time to get acclimated to Cape Town and your internship site. I am most grateful fort he weekly activities and support from the VAC staff.

Be open-minded and approachable! This internship is much more fun when you ask questions and have conversations with your co-workers. It can be very intimidating writing reports and going to Parliament, but you get the hang of it quickly. Everyone in the office and in Parliament is very friendly. Ask questions often, and always look to learn something new. You are greatly supported in the PMG office, and people care about your experience in the internship site and in Cape Town.