Customized Internships in Barcelona

Enhance your future career through a customized internship in Barcelona! Placements are available in English and Spanish for a wide variety of majors, and you can choose from 12, 10, 8, 6, and 4 week options. Create the professional experience of a lifetime and build your resumé!

You will come away with a Certificate of Completion, a recommendation letter for a job well done, international experience, international professional contacts and some Spanish under your belt. Barcelona SAE internships are offered during a variety of start dates throughout the year.

For more information, please visit the Barcelona SAE website.

Amanda

Barcelona Summer '18

Over the summer of 2018, I interned abroad with Barcelona SAE. I interned at the ASICS Innovation HUB EMEA located in the city of Barcelona. I had the opportunity to travel throughout Spain (thanks to the trips hosted by Barcelona SAE), to Holland, and Portugal. This was an experience of a life-time, and I enjoyed every second of it! I learned so much and made many friendships that I will be able to carry with me for the rest of my life.
Many employers look for unique applicants once graduation is over and the job searching has begun. Being able to say you studied/interned abroad and lived in another country puts you at the top of the list. You learn and adapt skills that you couldn't have gained otherwise.
I highly recommend Barcelona SAE because they made my experience wonderful and unforgettable! They plan events for everyone, offer travel trips, make you feel safe, and help you in any way they can. I am so glad I chose to do my internship through them!

Melissa

Summer 2018

My international experience is unique because I've never left home before. My time in Spain is allowing me to grow as an individual and learn new things about myself. It's nice that I already have a Spanish background so communicating in castellano isn't difficult to do! If you have never been exposed to Spanish than I strongly suggest you study some before you go abroad! This great internship opportunity is going to help me land better jobs because my international experience is going to stand out on a resume. Tip #1: Don't be afraid to explore, even if it's on your own! Tip #2: Always wear comfortable shoes because pavements here are very uneven. Tip #3: Plan things out but leave room for spontaneous fun as well! So far my favorite memories that I've made have been when my roommate and I go on mini adventures and take really great pictures of each other. I'm uncovering my innerphotography skills!

I wish they would offer day trips inside of Barcelona as well! It's nice to have a guide:)
Amelia

THE Barcelona Experience

The Barcelona SAE Summer Internship program is a great experience for young students looking to expand their horizons and have an experience like none other. Because of the nature of this Study Abroad Experience is different than any other Study Abroad because it is an internship instead of classes. This experience is not only letting me fall more in love with Spain, but also is giving me valuable and unique job experience.

There is some unclarity with the program before getting here but once here the communication is perfect. The Barcelona SAE staff is always available to help and at that they know you personally and always want to help you in whatever you need.
James

Know exactly what you want to do

I decided to use Barcelona SAE to give myself an opportunity to work abroad. I wanted to see what the tourism and hospitality industry was and how to run it effectively. I decided to pay extra to live with a Spanish family to further use my Spanish that I had been studying for a long time.

I was assigned to work with a hostel booking agency and I was excited to learn more about the company and what my responsibilities would be. I was disappointed that all they expected of me was to write blogs in English about places I had never been to. I mentioned that I was fluent in Italian and they had me translate parts of those webpage into Italian. I felt frustrated that I was not learning anything about the hospitality industry and I was bored as I listened in to conversations between my coworkers in Catalan.
Perhaps the bar was set low by the previous interns. After all it was explained to me near the end of my internship that I was the first intern they had ever had that spoke Spanish. My internship was overall a waste of money as I learned little since I could have done all of the tasks required of me from my home and the educational part of the internship was never apparent even though I was friends with my coworkers and we got along well.

It should be noted that I did contact Barcelona SAE and they helped me get more responsibility but the improvement was minimal.

I don't really know who is to blame for this, it could be me for having higher expectations from a 20 hour a week internship. Or it's just the fact that I went to Spain for the internship, not for Spain.
My living arrangements were okay. My bedframe was literally held together by tape. It didn't break at any point, luckily. I didn't expect air conditioning since I had lived in the Mediterranean for two years and I know it's a luxury item. But I did expect a fan. I had to ask for one once summer hit full force. The fan given to me was the size of my fist. It was a small room (at 5'6" I'm not tall but I barely had room to do push-ups) but the entire time I was there there was a larger fan that was not available for me to use because it was "dirty". I offered to clean it myself but they said I couldn't use it. Also, the son of the family who lived accros the hall from me smoked like a chimney for the first two or three weeks. I had to ask them to stop. I shouldn't have to ask as that is one of our rules for our host families.
Our breakfast and dinners were provided for us by our hosts but we had to fend for ourselves for lunches. I was allowed to store some things in the fridge but not allowed to use anything in the kitchen to cook. I like to cook. I could have saved a lot of money were I able to use the kitchen.
I had roommates that lived with me in the place and I would say that they were the highlights of my experience. We went places together and spent time together. We were good friends.

I think you need to audit what kinds of tasks your interns are required to handle. It would also be good to audit the standards that your host families must maintain.
Response from Barcelona Study Abroad Experience (SAE)

Hi James,

Thanks for your feedback. We're so sorry to hear that your internship experience was not what you expected and we'll certainly take your feedback to heart. We encourage our interns to let us know right away if the placement was not what you had in mind, so we're glad that you reached out and that you were able to get some added responsibilities at your internship after you spoke with us. Most of our interns seem to have an overwhelmingly positive experience, but it takes open communication on both sides to ensure that happens.

Thanks again for your review and we hope you're doing well!

Best,
The Barcelona SAE Team

No, I don't recommend this program
Adriana

Opportunity of a Lifetime

Barcelona SAE allowed me to work abroad and submerge myself in the politics, culture, and social scene of a different country. It was truly wonderful to have a group of people help you find an internship customized to you as well as set up all accommodations so that my time once I got to Barcelona could be used as efficiently as possible. The help from the team allowed me to venture on my own and have my own independent experience as well as choose times to bond with other people on the trip; it was the perfect mix of the independence of solo travel and the security of knowing you have someone to help should something come up. I had such an enriching experience and would recommend it to anyone looking to go abroad.

Being a bit more communicative with students about the accommodations and times.
Barret

Fantastic Experience

It took a bit of time for my friends, and I to become accustom to life in another country. The first few weeks were tough due to the life style change. Don’t let this comment deter you from experiencing life in another country. It’s helped me to come a more cultured, and well-rounded individual— not to mention employers like to see this sort of experience on a resume. It shows that you have the ability to adapt to diversity which is a very attractive quality.

We often travelled on the weekends. We would pack light, and use low cost airlines like EasyJet, or Ryanair. Flying allowed us to have the maximum amount of time to enjoy our trips to other countries. Trains are nice, but they don’t take you from point A to point B in enough time to experience your destination before work the following Monday.

Overall, this program was great. The housing location was ideal, and there were company representatives on call for emergencies, to answer simple questions, or to give advice. I highly recommend this program for any college student that wants to experience life in another country.

Blaugrana al vent
un crit valent
tenim un nom el sap tothom:
Barça, Barça, Baaarça!

More organizational events geared toward college students.

About Barcelona Study Abroad Experience (SAE)

Barcelona SAE is the specialist in Barcelona study and intern abroad. We use the city of Barcelona to offer students and universities boutique, personalized programs, focused on cultural immersion, a wide variety of quality academic options, and all...