Projects Abroad Internships in Tanzania

Projects Abroad Internships in Tanzania

Projects Abroad gives interns the opportunity to work with grass-roots organizations in Tanzania on a variety of projects. Interns can get involver in Microfinance, or Law & Human Rights projects, as well as Medical placements such as Nursing, Midwifery, General Medicine, and Dentistry.
This is a great opportunity to get involved in a meaningful project that gives interns the opportunity to make a direct impact on local development projects.

• This projects engages interns with human rights organizations based in Tanzania, and gives them the opportunity to make a direct impact in local communities.
  • Interns can pick the start date of their internship, project duration and end date. Projects Abroad is able to customize internships to fit the needs of individual interns.
  • Interns get involved in a variety of projects, including HIV/AIDS awareness, FGM education, and various other issues related to protecting human rights.
  • Interns have the opportunity to meet interns from around the world, and learn from local staff members! You will always have someone to adventure with in Tanzania, unless you prefer going solo!
  • Visit the Projects Abroad website to learn more about human rights internships in Tanzania, and let a representative plan your trip.
Africa » Tanzania » Dar es Salaam
Weekly Hours

Erin
Winnipeg, Canada

Microfinance Project

In January 2015, I volunteered abroad in Arusha, Tanzania with Projects Abroad. I spent 5 weeks working on the Microfinance project, and had an amazing experience! I’ve always been interested in travel, volunteering and entrepreneurship, so this was the perfect project for me as we got to spend time working with women to build individual and group businesses.

My host family, staff, and other volunteers were very welcoming and friendly which made the experience even better. I’ve actually kept in touch and have visited some of the volunteers I met during my time in Arusha. The project was very interesting, and revolved around us managing microloans for the women we worked with. We would help them keep track of their books and we would spend time working with them on English and Math lessons. We also gave them feedback for their businesses and helped come up with new ideas for group businesses. On the weekends I had plenty of time to explore the country. My two highlights would be going on a safari and getting to visit a Maasai village. Overall this was an amazing experience that I urge everyone to try at least once!

Rebecca
Canada
University of Calgary

Life changing experience

The past May I was fortunate enough to travel to Dar Es Salaam in Tanzania and volunteer in a local hospital there for 4 weeks. It was one of the most amazing experiences, I learnt so much in the hospital (stitched up a patient’s ear on my third week), and I feel like I have come away from this experience with skills that I couldn’t have acquired any other way. The doctors always wanted to help, they were happy when you had questions, and even happier when you asked if you could perform a simple procedure. When leaving the hospital I truly felt as if I would be missed, as I had made some strong relationships with some of the doctors and nurses at the hospital. The host family that I lived with were beyond amazing, within a day of being there I already felt like their house was my new home. The staff planned events for the volunteers at least twice a week, anything from beach volleyball to medical outreach to Swahili lessons or trips to another city! Whenever I had questions or concerns, I knew I was able to contact them and that they would gladly assist me. Their support definitely allowed me to feel more comfortable and explore a little more while I was there. I immersed myself completely in the culture of Tanzania and it changed the way I look at life, I came home a different person and I am so glad for it. If anyone has the opportunity to do a trip like this then they 100% should do it, because they won’t regret it.

The only problem I had with this program is due to the costs of the trip and where the money I paid went... I believe it could have been used a bit better in the sense that more of it should go towards the people/hospital that I was working with in Tanzania rather than to the company itself.

froelickj
Chapel Hill, NC

A life changing experience

I spent a wonderful three months in Arusha, Tanzania with Projects Abroad. Some of the people I met there have become close friends, even though we live thousands of miles apart. I taught in an orphanage and in a special needs school, walking to work most days with the other teacher and volunteer. Teaching was a challenge, but every moment with the children made my trip what it was. My experience with Projects Abroad helped me figure out what I want to do in life and helped me see what things were really important. It's a different way of life in Tanzania than it is in the US, but it's a wonderful one I feel lucky to have experienced!

Maddie
Pullman
Rockford College

A summer in Tanzania

It was entirely different than I thought it would be. I have heard much about third world countries and their plight. Tanzania was however different. While they still were lacking in many necessary supplies, they were completely competent people. It is better to refer to Tanzania as a developing country. With that said, I learned a lot from the Tanzanians. Coming from the United States, I am used to crammed schedules and rushing around. The Tanzanians showed me the benefits of a slower pace and the importance of people and relationships over work. I put things into a better perspective. If we only could balance the American and Tanzanian way things would work better.

Projects Abroad is a global organization formed around the need for gap year programs abroad designed for students taking a break from studying. Since its inception, Projects Abroad has expanded to offer high school volunteer programs, and a vast variety of programs geared towards those