Teach and Travel in Thailand: TEFL Experience

Teach and Travel in Thailand: TEFL Experience

By i-to-i and LoveTEFL   Reviews (6)   65% Rating

Ready to visit the land of smiles? Start teaching English in Thailand on our 2 months teaching experience. This fantastic opportunity will take you to beautiful Kanchanaburi to embark on an amazing teach and travel adventure.

You'll start with an exciting orientation in Ayutthaya, which acts a great location to familiarize yourself with your new stunning surroundings whilst you get to know your fellow TEFL travelers.

Once you're settled in, you'll start 7 weeks of hands-on teaching experience in Kanchanaburi where you'll work in small local towns and villages. The children here may never have experienced a native-English speaking teacher before, so the impact on your students will be invaluable.

After you complete your amazing teaching experience you'll head to the exotic island of Koh Samet where you can celebrate on the beach with all the other your fellow teaching travelers on the program.

Asia » Thailand » Bangkok
Transportation
$1199.00/week
Cost Description
- 120 Hour Online TEFL course worth $499
- Friendly pre-departure support and advice
- Airport pick-up and transfers
- Accommodation and meals
- Full orientation in Ayutthaya
- 7 weeks practical teaching experience
- Beach trip to the idyllic island of Koh Samet
- Ongoing support

i-to-i currently have some great deals across their TEFL trips. Visit the website for latest special offers at www.i-to-i.com.
Kanchanaburi, Koh Samet

Rating Values

Jamie
Bangkok

AWFUL COMPANY DONT GO NEAR

From the very beginning you get ripped off (scammed in my opinion). You get charged an application fee to sign up to the initial internship with I-to-I, thinking oh this isn't too bad? Wrong. 6 months later I still feel like I’m paying for everything myself.

You get introduced to the Thai company that are running the internship. They pay you a low monthly salary in my opinion. As well as this, your contract is on an hourly rate so if you miss any classes due to public holidays, you are obliged to work these on your days off (Saturday's) otherwise you lose your pay.

If you go to Thailand without an agency, there’s a chance you’ll get higher pay (a whole lot more, and sometimes more with a degree).

Speaking of degrees, the partner organization takes your ORIGINAL degree certificate and transcripts so I found it difficult to leave the internship. As well as demanding a lot of fines and charges if you do leave them.

In terms of communication they do not care, we have went weeks without receiving email replies from them.

When asking why we get underpaid, I felt we received a disrespectful answer.

They pay for our accommodation but we pay for bills. And the landlords go to any cost to keep your accommodation deposit.

Upon arriving you’ll have to pay out of pocket for for visas and work permits. We did not receive our visas to stay in Thailand until December after being there for two months, and we had to pay overcharges as a result. (They also pulled us from school for this, so we were deducted pay from school). As well as this we did not receive our work permits until February -- a week before the internship finished.

The schools themselves, we did not get allocated a school until almost a month of being in Thailand. I was moved from place to place by the partner organization with no permanent job. I moved from Bangkok to surin and then got moved all the way down south after some miscommunication and told I was working up north. It wasn't until the end of November (after having to use my own savings to survive as I was depending on a promised job) that I was allocated a school. For the selection process, there was 8 of us and we had to line up in front of 200 Thai teachers as they all analysed our appearances and bidded on who they wanted at their schools. We were then sent to each school after the partner organization told them we were all qualified and experienced teachers from England! When specifically the internship said that we did not have to be qualified to do the internship. So all the schools assumed we were amazing enough to run our own English courses.

I did not receive pay slips. I got underpaid each month. They do not reply to emails. Proceed with caution.

We did not receive a finish date and upon asking about a finish date since December we were ignored.

We were also told by I-to-I and the partner organization to not book flights home on the 31st of March when the internship ended. So everyone booked a few days later. We then asked about our visas, and the partner organization told us they would only pay for our visas until the 31st.

We worked 7am-16:30pm every day. But only got payed on the hours that the teachers actually signed our lessons for. It is advertised as a 5 month internship but we only got paid for 4 month, and one of those months was only half a month worth of pay.

You could go to Thailand, go to any school with a degree of any kind and be on a comfortable monthly salary and pay for a nice apartment with a bit of a spending cushion.

Beware and proceed with caution.

Celeste
Thailand
Nicholls State University

Great Experience!

Hi!
My experience with my Thai Internship and GES Thailand was a wonderful experience. I was able to meet new people, great traveling, and an overall memorable time. The GES team were wonderful with helping me with my paper work, teaching, and living arrangements. They were very nice and helpful with everything I needed.The Orientation was a big help as well because I got to meet other interns and make life long friends and it also helped me learn Thai culture, language. A lot of my questions and concerns were answered as well. After Orientation, we had about 2 weeks to travel and explore before school started which was perfect to get a hold of my surroundings. Overall, I feel that I have grown as a person with this part of my life.I had such a great experience with this internship that I stayed to teach in Thailand and I am very happy with my choices and decision to stay. I would definitely recommend this Internship!!

For the Orientation, I would focus a longer class time on the language. That would be helpful.

Sarah
Thailand

DISGRACE

I have been in Thailand since the 11th of October and still have received no placement. I have been moved twice (one of which was a two day journey). Four weeks later and I am still waiting for someone to contact me in relation to my placement. So far I have been moved twice, with no guarantee of a secure placement. I received a call from the company the night before last asking me to go to Singburi, where I was supposed to be forwarded the details of the school/accommodation etc. and starting in a kindergarten there today. Yet I have received no information whatsoever.
At this stage, I am extremely concerned with the lack of understanding I and the other interns have received from the staff at i-to-i. I 100% agree with all the complaints noted above

Chloe
Sunderland, England
University of Sunderland

The best summer adventure

I had a wonderful experience which allowed me to explore a new country, get valuable teaching experience and a recognised TEFL qualification. Plenty of information is provided before and during the trip making this new experience an exciting adventure rather than a terrifying trip. The week days were spent teaching in an environment where you had freedom to plan your lessons how you want but access to ideas and help from the teachers in the school if needed. This was reassuring as I had no teaching experience before this. The weekends were spent exploring and travelling with like minded people and the last week was an island break on Koh Samet. We went to the full moon party, temples, museums, famous landmarks and an elephant sanctuary just to name a few things. It was something I had never thought of doing until I had seen it online but it was the best decision I've made and would thoroughly recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Josh
Durham, United Kingdom
Durham University

Life changing trip for first year Uni student

What an incredible trip. I personally think that this type of thing is so much better than just travelling around SE Asia. Getting to know real Thai culture, living in a community, having a base at the school in-between the crazy weekends around Thailand, made this trip so much better! As someone that can be particularly shy and had never travelled like this before, I was surprised how quickly you get into it, with no worries or issues. Teaching is a huge learning curve and can really be enjoyable if you give it your all. Kids were great and teachers so so welcoming. Needless to say that I met some amazing people and hope to keep in contact with a few of them for the rest of my life. Surreal experience and something that cannot be summed up easily.

Letting people know that the schools are quite far away from each other, weeks can be quite solitary. I had the best partner, but I know some people felt a bit claustrophobic at times.

Chris
Yamaguchi
University of Waikato

Falsely advertised as an Internship

Although I had an awesome time on this Internship, that was in spite of the programme not because of it.

Anyway, here are some pros and cons of the internship. Hopefully some things have changed for the better since we did it.....

Pros

1. I was placed in a nice modern hotel building with 12 other lovely interns. It was so nice to have the support.

2. The city we were placed in was in the middle of nowhere but I loved the place, the people were so kind!

3. Thailand is an awesome country. It is likely that you will be placed off the tourist trail too which is nice.

4. It is only for 6 months so is a good tester if you have never taught before or are nervous to commit to a whole year.

Cons

1. Upon arriving in Thailand we quickly found out that this wasn`t actually an internship . In fact our schools were actually lied to and told that we were all already experienced teachers! We were put in the classroom with 50 screaming kids from day 1 with absolutely no guidance or support.

2. You get ripped off. Let`s face it! The schools paid a wage of 27000 baht a month. We would see 12,000 of that, maybe 4000 would go towards our accommodation. The rest would all go to i To i (again, the schools are lied to about this and think that all the money is going to the teacher. When my school found out they were really upset).

This would have been fine if we had been receiving the ammount of support that had been promised to us but that was not the case at all. After the 1st month we were more or less on our own. In fact, we even had to go to the hospital alone several times including my friend having an operation there without any help from our supervisor. I don`t want to blame my supervisor though, she was lovely. It was just that she was so busy with other i to i volunteer jobs too that she had little time to help us.
At my school there were 8 foreign teachers. 3 of us were with i to and got paid 12,000 a month, 5 had the exact same job but were from another company and they got paid a full 32,000 a month for the exact same job!!!! Do your research first!

3. The orientation is fun but doesn`t prepare you for the realities of the Thai classroom. In the orientation we learned heaps of fun pair and group activities but on arrival to my classroom of 6 and 7 year olds i realised this was impossible. So we basically had to discard all we were taught at orientation and learn on the job.

4. You may have a long commute. It took one friend over 1 1/2 hours to get to school everyday.

5. Think that at least all your visas and paperwork will be sorted out properly? Think again! I had a huge issue with my visa (My passport date was stamped incorrectly on entrance into Thailand) that my school noticed that my supervisor said over and over again was fine. Then all of a sudden one day she said that I had to get it fixed ASAP or i could get arrested and have to pay a hefty fine! It got sorted out in the end but was handled poorly.

All and all I would say DO NOT join the i to i internship. They were too dishonest and didn`t care about the local people or their teachers. They just want to get as many people on the progamme as possible so as to make more money.
I know teaching overseas for the first time is scary but this is not the best way to go about it.

Provider Response

Hi Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about the Thailand TEFL Internship program. We’re very sorry to hear that you were not happy with the service provided to you during your time on the internship in Thailand. Here at i-to-i we appreciate all feedback, and analyse it on a case by case basis to work with our partners to improve their internship program for future interns.

I have taken a look at your account and can see that you completed the Thailand TEFL internship back in 2009. Since then, i-to-i have made a number of changes to the way the Thailand internship is run, including securing a new partners in Thailand to support the internship.

Therefore, I hope that you will give us the opportunity to respond to your points and show how we have improved the service as below:

Since the 2009 internship i-to-i have changed our partners in Thailand and now work with GES. We no longer work with the partners who you travelled with in 2009. GES have an excellent track record in providing fantastic intern experiences in Thailand and the feedback from all of the interns that have completed the program has been excellent. All of our interns are fully supported by GES and are placed on the correct teaching visa for Thailand according to the current government requirements.

There is also now an opportunity after signing up to the internship to preference your location in Thailand. As you mentioned above, you loved the small village setting that you were placed in but if you did prefer to be in a big city (with a larger expat community) this could now be accommodated. This new service has been very popular with interns in recent years.

It is correct that as an intern you would not receive the same salary as a fully trained teacher. However it is also true that all of the partner schools in Thailand are aware that they are getting an intern who will not be expected to complete the same duties as a fully paid member of staff. This is reflected in the intern’s work schedule (interns teach for under half of the hours of a regular teacher) and the level of training and support provided. There are also other perks associated with the internship, including free accommodation, airport pick up, a tailored TEFL course specifically geared to teaching in Thailand, an in-depth orientation week, a short term contract that is not usually available and complete support during your time in Thailand.

If you have any more questions or would like to speak with our customer services team further regarding your internship and your review, please do not hesitate to contact us on [email protected].

Kind Regards,
Kat

The world's leading TEFL course provider, i-to-i & LoveTEFL have trained more than 175,000 people since 1994 & has more than 250 years of combined TEFL experience across their staff, tutors & TEFL academics. i-to-i are the original TEFL course company innovating and providing high-quality