Group Engage: Community Development Internships with FSD JINJA Uganda

Students take time to reflect during the mental health workshop
Students take time to reflect during the mental health workshop
Students relax while on a boat cruise excursion on River Nile
Students relax while on a boat cruise excursion on River Nile
Students explain to project stakeholders about their secondary school washroom construction project.
Students conducting a catering business training workshop with local women
Students conducting a catering business training workshop with local women
Community representative and students explain the products from the soap making project.
Students engagement with the community during the tree planting project assessment
Group picture of 2017 participant alumni together with FSD Uganda staff team
Group picture of 2017 participant alumni together with FSD Uganda staff team
A pose picture of students together with their local host community and project products

This program that allows students and young professionals to work in direct collaboration with their peers on pre-defined, community-driven projects. The group participants gain intensive training in sustainable development and project design. Project interests are defined by the group and matched to community needs, fostering a chance to produce long-lasting community impact. With this model, groups of 3-5 combine their talents, skills and ideas to address community needs with their local colleagues. These are often groups of students, colleagues or friends who want to learn and contribute at one organization. Universities often choose this model to break students up into cohorts that promote group work, collaborative problem-solving, leadership, and cross-cultural communication skills.

• Engagement in a cross-cultural experience in a bid to finding solutions to key development issues in Uganda, while facilitating communities to implement sustainable development projects using tested development approaches and methodologies.
  • Generation of new knowledge about grassroots development priorities, challenges, assets, opportunities and finding new innovations for appropriate interventions.
  • Work side-by-side with a community-based organization specializing in one or more of the following development sectors: health, youth and education, women's equality, micro enterprise, human rights, community development and/or environmental issues.
  • Design and implement outreach campaigns promoting community mobilization, sensitization, and health education; Develop community resource centers; Train community leaders to organize informal events, provide informational and health resources.
  • Learning more about the local Ugandan cultures and widening the scope of adventure through working and living in Uganda. Participating in organized group/individual excursions and retreats that allow volunteers and interns to relax with fellow peers.

Caleb

Summer in Jinja

I traveled to Uganda for the first time in 2018 and was able to have a fulfilling and productive experience with FSD. Before departure, I appreciated how the site team reached out to chat with me about any questions and concerns I had and made sure to answer them as fully as possible. While I was with my host organization in-country, I knew that while I was with them in a nearby community, the site team was available to contact at any point. Because of the leadership and structure at FSD Jinja, and its partnerships with various organizations in the community, I was able to work with a team of students to promote sustainability and live in the culture of the country. I would highly recommend this internship to anyone who is looking for a unique, sometimes uncomfortable, but highly rewarding experience.

Michael

Work in Education

I immensely enjoyed working in education with children and adolescents who were very clearly eager to learn. I was privileged enough to enjoy a beautiful bond with them and felt very much respected and trusted by the school and the surrounding community. I helped to promote good academic habits and develop education curricula. I think of my time at St Stephens School every single day with warm memories. I also developed personal skills by learning the process of writing a grant and collaborating with community members to pursue objectives THEY deemed to be necessary. Learning the process of how to properly engage the community and determine their needs based on their perspective is invaluable and a skill set i will surely be using time and again.

I think this program was well designed. For me personally, i was able to enjoy the entire experience as an adventure and a challenge
Joel

Jinja Summer Internship and Sustainable Development

The experience of being able to come to this country and work with the people there was something that I never expected to have the impact on me that it did. I went there not knowing really what to expect and was blown away with how friendly everyone was and how welcome I felt. This experience was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I will carry the memories and experience that I received in everything that I do from this point forward. If someone is looking for an experience that will give you an opportunity that is not normally offered into experience something that you’ve not experienced before than this is the opportunity that you’re looking for. I have made lifelong friends and worked with people that I would not have had the opportunity to. I strongly recommend this program to anyone that wants to help make a difference and make new friends and family.

The answer to this question is similar to what I found to be the most nerve part for me. When you go here make Sure to view this as a learning experience and to keep an open mind. But I also know that you were going to have fun and be well taken care of. If you have any questions or have any problems feel free to reach out to the support network that you will build and with the people on site.
Isaac

Learn by doing

I loved my summer abroad working with FSD. The unique program model is perfectly suited for sustainable development. The site team, made up of locals, is incredibly knowledgeable on the topics they teach and care so much about the sustainability of the projects. Agency of the partner organizations is key and projects are directly developed with the local communities they serve. I cannot even begin to express how much I learned during my internship. I would 100% recommend this program for anyone that is seeking to have a rewarding experience in a way that respects local communities. Often times, programs such as these focus exclusively on the volunteer and work that is done is counter-productive to actual development. However, I found that this is absolutely not the case for FSD.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I were to do this experience again I would spend more time reading the local newspaper.

Location:
86 F / 52 F
Airports:
Entebbe International
( EBB )

Uganda's travel activities are centered around their natural beauty in the forms of wildlife and landscape. The most popular things to do here are safaris for the elusive Mountain Gorillas, visits to the source of the Nile, site-seeing at the Murchison Falls, and outdoor activities at Lake Bunyonyi.

About FSD JINJA-UGANDA

FSD JINJA-UGANDA is committed to advancing professional global learning in the context of promoting community-based development. We strive to achieve community – driven goals through asset based development and global education service exchange in...