Internships with a Professional Development Team

Internships with a Professional Development Team

International Service Learning Alliance (ISLA) is the internship, volunteer and group project program of the Foundation for Community Development and Empowerment (FCDE). ISLA supports FCDE's community development work by placing, training and supporting individuals and groups who share our vision of creating positive impact in developing world communities.

What do you have to share?

Each one of us has unique experiences and an arsenal of skills that we’ve cultivated in our lifetime. If you’ve been breathing, interacting, socializing, building, working, playing and communicating in this complex world, you have built skills. Identifying and learning how to leverage your skills and experience into effective results is critical in today’s dynamic employment market. A well-structured and amply supported internship is a great opportunity to identify and actualize the assets that you have to share.

• ISLAs programs give unparalleled opportunities to intrepid change-makers who are ready to follow their calling. Experience the joys and the challenges of deploying your capacities to help a community reach its full potential. Play a vital role in a gra
  • ISLA internships are driven by needs identified by local, grassroots organizations. ISLA provides students, graduates, and professionals an opportunity to work shoulder to shoulder with a professional development team. Interns gain a wide-array of academi
  • ISLA has developed specific positions tailored to the priorities of our local partners. We seek interns who have an interest in international development, but also those with background in finance, communications, business development and a variety of oth
  • ISLA programs are, by design, light on "extra-curricular" activities in order to maximize the impact an intern can have in their host community, as well as the depth of professional experience a participant can attain. If you have the travel bug (as we do
  • ISLA has developed a rigorous health and safety protocol to ensure the security of our interns and staff. International development work is inherently unpredictable, and so our staff is prepared to contend with any scenario that might arise.
Africa » Uganda
Compensation
N/A
Phone / Skype Interview
Age Requirement
Weekly Hours
The program fees for this internship have been designed to pay for the costs associated with supporting your internship. A portion of your internship fees also go to support the ongoing work of FCDE in your host community. FCDE is a US-based 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization and all program fees paid by the participant and his/her donors are tax-deductible for US residents. FCDE’s Executive Director and Board work on a volunteer basis to ensure that our organization’s resources are focused on furthering our mission.

Your program fees include: airport pickup upon arrival; a family home stay with daily breakfast and dinner provided; on-going in-country support from the FCDE site team and U.S. staff; medical evacuation and limited health insurance; and airport delivery upon departure.

Miles
New York City
Colorado College

Uganda

What can I say the program in Uganda left a deep impression on me. What makes this program special is that you have agency. There is a support network in place but mostly it felt like you had to handle things on your own and forge you're own connections which is why I highly suggest this program to someone who wants real experience and not the voluntourism experience so prevalent in these sort of programs.

Sidharth
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Colorado College

My FCDE internship with Agape of Hope

I completed my FCDE internship over the summer of my sophomore to junior year in college, and it was honestly a life changing experience. Everyone at the FCDE/Agape office were so receptive and willing to listen to my ideas, and I left Kasese truly feeling as if I had made an impact. The internship program is very well organized, and my home stay was awesome! I still keep in touch with them. The other really cool thing about FCDE is that you don't necessarily need previous experience; this internship is a good platform for all levels of experience to work upon.

The weather can be a bit daunting at times, so I wish I would have brought lighter clothes to wear!

JG
East Coast
Guilford College

Diverse experience.

As I Peace Corps volunteer in Kasese, I was lucky enough to work with the Foundation for Community Development and Empowerment (FCDE) in Kasese, Uganda. The organization was just starting back when I volunteered with them in 2011, but even then they had a clear vision, and a solid system of accountability to ensure community partners were truly benefiting. Another positive aspect of working with FCDE was that the organization worked with several local NGO partners in several different sectors. This meant that I could explore different interests, and got a better feel for what made a successful community based organization and what did not. I would recommend FCDE, and the office-based internship placements, to any organized, adventurous, flexible person looking to explore a wide breadth of development areas in Uganda.

The time difference between the Uganda group and the support staff in the states can be a bit challenging.

RK
San Diego, CA
University of Washington- Seattle

Great Place to Learn About Development

I would definitely recommend ISLA for anyone looking to do an international internship. I learned so much about many different aspects of international development that was incredibly valuable to my professional development. Having the opportunity to do both real office work as well as be out in the field to visit a variety of projects and interact with so many people in rural villages was a great balance.

The staff in Uganda is wonderful, as they're very reliable and smart, very welcoming and were always more than willing to help with any day to day errands or questions I had. The U.S. staff is similarly great to work with, always listening and interested in what's happening on the ground.

Kasese is a good town to live and work in Uganda, as well. Among the many other volunteers I knew who were also in Uganda, this site was among the best.

Isla provides internship opportunities for intrepid humanitarians, social entrepreneurs, and change-makers to work side-by-side with the most dedicated community development leaders in our partner communities.

Currently, Isla invites undergraduate and graduate students, and working professionals to intern with local development professionals working in non-governmental organizations