Isla - Global Development Internships

Agape of Hope focuses on rural maternal health. This was a project where a mother pretended to be giving birth, while Agape educated people on how to correctly respond in this situation.
"This internship has allowed me to get first hand experience in a field that is built upon working towards helping others, which drove me towards this internship in the first place". Jared Nunes, CalPoly Uni
Make a lasting impact with Isla's partner organizations! Give a little, Gain a lot!
"In addition to fulfilling a summer internship requirement for my master's degree program, this experience provided valuable experience and knowledge working in a global health context." Margaret Rice, Yale School of Public Health
"The experience in Uganda opened my eyes to the potentiality that exists within us all. Spending time with individuals while relating and truly feeling for one another shared moments that continue to inspire me to grow towards a higher calling". Gianna Pray, CalPoly University
Isla interns are made up of all ages. Internships are available for university students as well as mid- and post-career professionals!
"My host family experience definitely improved my experience here in Uganda and helped me better understand the culture and language." Jaclyn Williamson, Colorado State Uni, School of Public Health
"This internship has completely influenced what I believe I want to pursue after graduation. Whether I pursue a full-time job, long term internship or decide to continue me education in graduate school, I believe I will seek opportunities in international business development and organizations that support positive international development". Elyssa DuKatz, CalPoly Uni

Isla builds upon the organizational capacity-building work of our local partner organizations in developing countries by placing university students and professionals in career-launching global development internships. Isla immerses participants in substantive projects with local partner non-governmental organizations, social enterprises and other institutions working in one or more of the following interrelated global development sectors:

Education & Youth Development
Environmental Conservation and Agriculture
Social Enterprise Development
Health & Well-Being
HIV/AIDS Advocacy
Gender Equality
Peace and Social Justice

Isla participants gain on-the-job training and improve their skills while helping their host organization's capacity to serve their beneficiaries and communities and improve operations and outcomes.

• Isla's programs give unparalleled opportunities to intrepid change-makers who are ready to follow their calling. Experience the joys and the challenges of deploying your capacities to help a community reach its full potential.
  • Isla internships are driven by needs identified by local, grassroots organizations. Isla provides students, graduates, and professionals an opportunity to work shoulder to shoulder with a professional development team.
  • Isla has developed specific positions tailored to the priorities of our local partners. We seek interns who have an interest in global development.
  • Engage in deep involvement to build friendships and professional networks that last a lifetime!

Jaclyn

Global Health Development Internship with FCDE & ISLA

My name is Jaclyn Williamson and I am a graduate student of the Colorado School of Public Health currently earning my Master's in Public Health (MPH) with a concentration in Global Health and Health Disparities.

This summer I was hired as a Global Health Development Intern with the Foundation for Community Development and Empowerment (FCDE) through the ISLA internship program. I was based in the FCDE Office of Kasese, Uganda.

In this position, I provided strategic support in grant preparation, program development and implementation, and NGO capacity building to a network of 4 FCDE local partner organizations (LPOs) combatting global health issues.

I was responsible for creating, conducting, and analyzing the results of multiple needs assessments across varying target populations to assess social, behavioral, environmental, cultural, and biological factors contributing to health outcomes. I also prepared an FCDE Seed Grant Proposal to secure grant funding for multiple projects associated with global health, including HIV/AIDS antiretroviral treatment adherence, mosquito net use and malaria prevention, sexual reproductive health, rights, and services, and Hepatitis B awareness and testing.

I was most drawn to Uganda because I desired to work on global health issues and international development. As a Global Health Development intern, I gained experience in real-world applications of program planning, implementation, and evaluation, in an international setting.

The overarching lesson of my time in Uganda is the importance of utilizing human resources and human capital, and being adaptable to cultures so different from your own. My success in my projects in Uganda relied entirely upon trusting and allowing the influence from the affected and target communities that I hoped to reach. I attribute the success of my projects to the Ugandan natives who welcomed me into their lives and gave me an entirely new perspective on global health issues.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I had the opportunity to intern with ISLA again, I would extend my internship beyond the 8-weeks I was able to work this summer. I would definitely plan to stay the entire 10-weeks or beyond!
Samantha

A great internship for dedicated individuals

The experience provided by Isla internships was lifechanging for me. I was given the same job as an entry level global health program director and was asked to rise to the task. at the time I was a college student applying to grad schools for an MPH. I had very little experience working in global health however, I took free classes online (recommended to me by the CEO of Isla) and did months of preparation to get myself ready to give the best impact possible. In 90 days I successfully completed my task but it took all the time I could possibly give. I worked weekends and nights preparing materials and reading up on new research for my program. With all that said, I wouldn't have had it any other way! If you are serious about jumpstarting your career, this is a great place to do it.

Miles

Uganda

What can I say the program in Uganda left a deep impression on me. What makes this program special is that you have agency. There is a support network in place but mostly it felt like you had to handle things on your own and forge you're own connections which is why I highly suggest this program to someone who wants real experience and not the voluntourism experience so prevalent in these sort of programs.

Sidharth

My FCDE internship with Agape of Hope

I completed my FCDE internship over the summer of my sophomore to junior year in college, and it was honestly a life changing experience. Everyone at the FCDE/Agape office were so receptive and willing to listen to my ideas, and I left Kasese truly feeling as if I had made an impact. The internship program is very well organized, and my home stay was awesome! I still keep in touch with them. The other really cool thing about FCDE is that you don't necessarily need previous experience; this internship is a good platform for all levels of experience to work upon.

The weather can be a bit daunting at times, so I wish I would have brought lighter clothes to wear!
JG

Diverse experience.

As I Peace Corps volunteer in Kasese, I was lucky enough to work with the Foundation for Community Development and Empowerment (FCDE) in Kasese, Uganda. The organization was just starting back when I volunteered with them in 2011, but even then they had a clear vision, and a solid system of accountability to ensure community partners were truly benefiting. Another positive aspect of working with FCDE was that the organization worked with several local NGO partners in several different sectors. This meant that I could explore different interests, and got a better feel for what made a successful community based organization and what did not. I would recommend FCDE, and the office-based internship placements, to any organized, adventurous, flexible person looking to explore a wide breadth of development areas in Uganda.

The time difference between the Uganda group and the support staff in the states can be a bit challenging.
RK

Great Place to Learn About Development

I would definitely recommend ISLA for anyone looking to do an international internship. I learned so much about many different aspects of international development that was incredibly valuable to my professional development. Having the opportunity to do both real office work as well as be out in the field to visit a variety of projects and interact with so many people in rural villages was a great balance.

The staff in Uganda is wonderful, as they're very reliable and smart, very welcoming and were always more than willing to help with any day to day errands or questions I had. The U.S. staff is similarly great to work with, always listening and interested in what's happening on the ground.

Kasese is a good town to live and work in Uganda, as well. Among the many other volunteers I knew who were also in Uganda, this site was among the best.

About Isla - Live Learn Intern

Isla builds upon the organizational capacity-building work of our local partners – non-governmental organizations, social enterprises, and other institutions - in Uganda, Kosovo, Bulgaria, and India by placing university students and professionals in...