View Other Details
- Prior Experience: Previous experience working, volunteering or traveling abroad a plus.
- Language: Proficiency spoken and written fluency in English.
- Knowledge: Solid working knowledge of community development and the host country's culture, history, and current events; demonstrated ability to maintain working-level contacts with NGO officials and host families.
- Skills and Abilities: Ability to take initiative, work under minimal guidance, and in both office and field settings. Organizational and administrative skills. Excellent computer skills in word-processing and database management.
- Motivation and commitment to work effectively as part of an inter-cultural team. Excellent interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgment under normal as well as complex and often stressful conditions.
Isla builds upon the organizational capacity-building work of our local partner organizations in developing countries by placing university undergraduate and graduate students and entry-level professionals in career-launching global development internships. Isla immerses participants in substantive projects with non-governmental organizations, social enterprises, and other institutions working in one or more of the following interrelated industries or sectors:
Permaculture, Agribusiness, Social Entrepreneurship
Arts, Culture & Social Impact
Education & Youth
Entrepreneurship & Social Enterprise
Environmental & Wildlife Conservation
Global Public Health & Medical
Human Rights, Democracy & Governance
Isla participants gain on-the-job training and improve their skills while helping their host organization's capacity to serve their beneficiaries and communities and improve operations and outcomes. Live Learn Intern with Isla!
- Isla's programs give unparalleled opportunities to intrepid change-makers who are ready to follow their calling in sustainable development. Experience the joys and the challenges of deploying your capacities to help a community reach its full potential.
- Isla internships are driven by needs identified by local, grassroots organizations and social enterprises. Isla provides students, graduates, and professionals an opportunity to work shoulder to shoulder with a professional global development team.
- Isla has developed specific positions tailored to the priorities of our local and international partners. We seek interns who have an interest in global sustainable development.
- Engage in deep involvement to build friendships and professional networks that last a lifetime!