ELI Abroad | Medical Internships in Uganda

ELI Uganda

Ready to get off the beaten path? In Uganda, ELI's medical interns have the opportunity to get deeply involved in the local community and assist in all aspects of local healthcare in Iganga. Previous interns have been able to assist with giving birth, bandaging minor wounds, and planning/running community clinics and workshops. Advanced students can assist in the OR.

This program is appropriate for nursing and medical students, medical professionals, and well-qualified/advanced undergraduates.

• A great to to gain professional experience for a medical career path.
  • Hands on work allows qualified participants to make a real tangible difference in the community.
  • Your experience will be what you make them to be, so get ready to put in hard work for rewarding results!
  • If you are a current medical student, this is a great opportunity to shadow a doctor and pick up expertise in the field!
  • Volunteers and interns in Uganda become deeply involved in the local community and leave with lasting friendships.

DanikaF

I loved Uganda with ELI Abroad!

Between my first and second years of medical school, a friend told me about ELI Abroad. She had used ELI to go to India and I sat down with the website to see if they offered any medical programs in areas I was interested in. I'd always wanted to go to Africa, but I was never able to afford it. Fortunately, ELI's prices were manageable and I was able to get my application done quickly. The turnaround time was super short and before I knew it, I was accepted into the program and given an idea of what I'd be doing.

During my stay, I learned a lot about how medicine is practiced in places where labs and imaging just isn't available. I honed my physical exam skills and got my first introduction to surgery and OB/GYN. I also learned a lot about infectious disease. I worked with doctors and medical students every day and they were very good teachers. They always taught in English, so the language barrier was minimal - the only people who didn't always speak English were patients.

I stayed with a host family during my time there and continue to keep in touch with them. They took me along to weddings and made sure I got to explore the area around me. They were also willing to take me wherever I wanted to go before I was comfortable going places on my own.

The only difficulties I encountered was the language barrier. Though most people are educated in English, they usually chose to speak the local language and thus, you sometimes felt a bit left out.

It's hard to say - I guess I just would have wanted to be better prepared in terms of knowing what type of medical equipment to bring.

Location:
86 F / 52 F
Airports:
Entebbe International
( EBB )

Uganda's travel activities are centered around their natural beauty in the forms of wildlife and landscape. The most popular things to do here are safaris for the elusive Mountain Gorillas, visits to the source of the Nile, site-seeing at the Murchison Falls, and outdoor activities at Lake Bunyonyi.

About ELI Abroad

ELI is a registered non-profit organization, founded in 2001, that partners with organizations from around the world that make a difference in their communities. We work closely with these groups to ensure ELI volunteers get meaningful experiences at...