Interactive Spanish Course in Panama City's Old Quarter

Casco Antiguo Spanish School: Intensive Spanish Classes
Casco Antiguo Spanish School: Intensive Spanish Classes
Spanish Students Enjoying the free sunset bike tour in Panama
Spanish Students Enjoying the free sunset bike tour in Panama

Located in the UNESCO world heritage site of Casco Viejo, the safest neighborhood in Panama City and one of the coolest in Latin America. The Small Group Intensive is the school’s most popular course and the fastest way to learn Spanish in the shortest time possible.

Small class sizes, avg. 2 or 3 students per group and max of 4, ensure you get personalized attention and can practice speaking. From total beginners to advanced speakers we offer groups at all levels. The classes are very interactive and focused on conversation, to ensure you have the confidence to speak the language.

The course includes a workbook/textbook, free coffee, tea, wifi, and all the material we use in class as well as free daily activities such as sunset bike ride, brewery tour, salsa lessons, and volleyball. These activities are a great way to meet other students and practice your Spanish outside of class.

• Only school located in the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Casco Viejo, the safest neighborhood in Panama
  • Guaranteed small group size, average of 2 to 3 people and maximum of 4 students per group
  • Free daily social activities included, Sunset Bike Tour, Salsa Class, Happy Hour, Beach Volleyball
  • Volunteer placements at local non-profit organizations offered free for students
  • Social Enterprise, percentage of your tuition supports local non-profits, and 100% of Homestay fees go directly to families

• Instruction 10
Elizabeth

4 weeks of learning Spanish for 4 hours a day!

I really enjoyed my 4 weeks learning Spanish at Casco Antiguo Spanish School in Casco Viejo. I learnt a lot, going from being a wobbly beginner to a still pretty wobbly intermediate speaker, but as we are living here now, I get lots of opportunities to practice and I will definitely go back for the odd week here and there to help me progress.

During my 4 weeks I had different classmates up to a maximum of 4. I liked learning as part of a group as it gives you a little bit of time to listen and write words down, and to think of what you are going to say next! The classes were a great mix of being taught grammar, having conversations about particular topics and doing exercises and games.

Also it was fun getting to know the other students, we were a real mix of ages and backgrounds. During my 4 weeks I was in a class with 3 nineteen year old boys; two from Brazil, one from England, two ladies of around my age (42) from the US and one older guy also from the US.

Our teacher Katy was particularly good at writing up interesting vocabulary on the white board as we went along, clearly explaining the grammar (almost entirely in Spanish!) and helping us generate loads of examples to get familiar with new verbs and tenses. She also set us a bit of homework everyday to help cement new knoweldge.

I loved going into Casco Viejo everyday, my kids are at school there at The Casco School, so it was fun for me to be able to go in with them on the school bus. The old city is absolutely charming. I love it's narrow cobbled streets and old buildings. And there's loads of little restaurants and bars to have a quick recovery beer in after class!

The language school puts on a daily evening activity from 5pm, bike tours, happy hour pub crawl, salsa lessons but as I have 3 kids I never got the chance to do this. Maybe I will one day!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I loved our trip to the Mola Museum in Cacso Viejo. It was a field trip one morning, We walked 5 minutes to a lovely modern museum and saw the fascinating multi-layered textile art made by Guna women - an indigineous group here in Panama.

We heard how the bright, complex patterns are made to ward off evil spirits by confusing them - and some of them certainly had that affect on me! Particularly the 3D video box where you can lie down and look at the patterns, I couldn't even go near it. All I can deduce is that I am probably a (not very) evil spirit - but bad enough to be repelled by Molas!

Laura

Best place to learn Spanish!

We planned on taking Spanish lessons at this Spanish language school for one week, but ended up staying three weeks because we liked the school, teachers and lessons so much. The quality of the lessons is very good and the after-class activities are a lot of fun. The atmosphere in the school is really nice and we quickly felt at home. Also, the staff has always been helpful to us when we needed Panama-travel advice :) So we would 100% recommend taking Spanish lessons at Casco Antiguo Spanish School.

Make sure you don't miss the bike tour with Kiki!
Jon

Amazing Experience!!!

Casco Antiguo Spanish School Exceeded my expectations. I have taken some Spanish learning in other locations, but this one tops them all! They had a very good structure put in to place to help you learn and they made it fun and easy. You don't just study in the classroom here... they take you around Casco Viejo to show you the town so you can learn about the city you're in as well as teach you new things on your ventures. Very interactive and patient program. I will definitely be returning! Thank you for the experience!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I was new to the country so I stayed in a hotel. If I would do it again, I would live with one of the families that the school has connections with.
Elizabeth

An Absolute Gem of a Spanish School

I cannot recommend Casco Antiguo Spanish School enough! I spent several weeks taking private lessons with a couple of different instructors. Both were excellent at teaching and had terrific, warm personalities. With their help, my skills improved dramatically in a relatively short period of time.

I arrived at the school knowing only a few words of Spanish. I took 2-hour lessons 3x/week for about 4 weeks. This concentrated learning approach was extremely beneficial for me, and the school's location in historic Casco Viejo made it ideal for immediately applying what I'd learned in the neighborhood's array of shops and restaurants.

If you're heading to Panama City, definitely check out the school's offerings. My time there was an absolute highlight of my extended stay in Panama.

One of my favorite parts about learning Spanish at this school was the opportunity to go out into the neighborhood with my instructor and practice talking about what was actually happening all around us. It was a great way to feel connected to the area's daily life. I would advise future travelers to ask for this same opportunity, when appropriate for the course they're taking.
Keith

Casco Viejo

On very short notice Casco Antiguo Spanish School were able to schedule an instructor and classes for my teenage son and I. David and his staff greeted us with warmth and enthusiasm. Yvonne,our instructor, was very skilled at determining our level of control with the language, our potential for gain, and directing our course to meet that potential.l
The staff were eager to provide any assistance we requested and knowledgeable of the resources available to allow us to enjoy the bountiful tourism offered in Panama City.
We were also accomadate with a local family which welcomed us as if we were long lost cousins. This included delicious meals and walking distance access to local establishments. As the mother of the house was aware we are practicing Catholics she even invited us into her parish family.

Amy

The Best Experience Ever!

I loved Casco Antiguo Spanish School so much! I feel so lucky to have found it online. I spent 4 days (4 hours each) of classes. When I say "class," it was so much more than a traditional Spanish class! First, the school is set in a perfect location in Casco Viejo and makes the most of it during the lessons. I stayed the first two days at Playa Bonita and took an Uber to my lessons (20 min.). The other two days I stayed at La Concordia Hotel in Casco Viejo (7 min. walk to the school). Second, the wonderful people here set this school apart! My two teachers, Graciela (3 lessons) and Karen (1 lesson), were great. I had a mix of different activities that were super fun and the grammar parts specifically honed in on my weak areas (thanks to the pre-test this give you before starting). We did so much- visiting museums, parks, Uber ride and lunch with Graciela at a local restaurant. Besides being a wonderful teacher, Graciela made a perfect personal travel guide. I can't thank her enough for her patience! I also really enjoyed my other teacher, Karen, for one lesson. Johanna, the administrator, was so wonderful to deal with in making my arrangements. I felt so comfortable about the idea of the school even before my trip. The first morning I walk into the school I was greeted warmly by all the staff. I immediately felt at home here. My husband (que no habla espanol para nada!) says that he is willing to take classes there on our next visit, too (his first time in showing interest to attend a Spanish class). Also, the Spanish booklet they provide you is chock-full of Spanish exercises all geared to my level. I am going to continue using it at home. Thanks again to everyone at Casco Antiguo Spanish School for my wonderful learning adventure!

Nichole

Highly recommend this Spanish Language School!

I studied at Casco Antiguo Spanish School for 7 weeks and absolutely loved it! I had a variety of wonderful teachers, and the administrative staff is also amazing and very engaged with the students. The classes were fun and interesting, covering a wide variety of topics. The teachers and staff regularly requested my feedback and made an effort to tailor the classes to my language level and to my personal interests. My Spanish language abilities improved significantly! I also volunteered at a non-profit organization and stayed with a host family, both coordinated by the Spanish School. I absolutely loved the host family and have stayed in touch with them. My volunteer experience was also very enjoyable. I’ve studied at a number of Spanish language schools in a few different countries, and Casco Antiguo is my favorite!

Lucia

I loved attending Casco Antiguo Spanish School!

I loved attending Casco Antiguo Spanish School located in the heart of Casco Viejo, the historic district of Panama City. Declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1997, Casco Viejo was established around 1673 by the Spanish colonialists. It was very interesting to walk from my apartment to school every morning and discover every day a new colorful colonial house with its beautiful architectural details.
During the day I had 4 hours of advanced Spanish language classes in the morning. In the afternoon, in another group, I had 2 more hours dedicated to review and deepened what we had learned in the morning.
During the morning classes our teachers made sure we experienced the language and especially the culture by taking us outside the classroom and into the street of Casco Viejo for at least two of the 4 hours of class. In the village we had the chance to use the language for practical purposes like buying lunch or interviewing people in the street about a topic we had just discussed in class. We also toured the many restored colonial houses and learned about their history from the people who lived there.
Moreover, I was lucky to be there the day that Panama was celebrating its birthday: 500 years (picture left)! During this event we walked around town, saw dances and parades and we talked to a lot of people about their history and traditions.
All teachers at Casco Antiguo Spanish School create material that provide students with dynamic, participative and engaging learning experiences. They expose students to linguistic and cultural authenticity. Understanding the culture is as important as learning the words of a language and most importantly it opens student’s eyes in a way that is different from their own.
I truly recommend to take Spanish at Casco Antiguo Spanish School!