• Panama

Small Class (1-7)
Weekly Classroom Hours
Apartment Guesthouse Host Family Hostel Hotel

Pricing

Cost of each week of Small Group Intensive Course varies depending on the number of weeks you sign up for. The prices for the course are from $249 to $195 per week for the 20 hours depending on the number of weeks you sign up for.
What's Included
Activities Classes Wifi
What's Included (Extra)

Free Daily Social Activities (Sunset Bike Tour, Salsa Class, Happy Hour, Beach Volleyball)

What's Not Included
Accommodation Airfare
Feb 25, 2021
Oct 15, 2022
5 travelers are looking at this program

Located in the UNESCO world heritage site of Casco Viejo, the safest neighborhood in Panama City and one of the coolest in Latin America. The Small Group Intensive is the school’s most popular course and the fastest way to learn Spanish in the shortest time possible.

Small class sizes, avg. 2 or 3 students per group and max of 4, ensure you get personalized attention and can practice speaking. From total beginners to advanced speakers we offer groups at all levels. The classes are very interactive and focused on conversation, to ensure you have the confidence to speak the language.

The course includes a workbook/textbook, free coffee, tea, wifi, and all the material we use in class as well as free daily activities such as sunset bike ride, brewery tour, salsa lessons, and volleyball. These activities are a great way to meet other students and practice your Spanish outside of class.

Program Highlights

• Only school located in the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Casco Viejo, the safest neighborhood in Panama
  • Guaranteed small group size, average of 2 to 3 people and maximum of 4 students per group
  • Free daily social activities included, Sunset Bike Tour, Salsa Class, Happy Hour, Beach Volleyball
  • Volunteer placements at local non-profit organizations offered free for students
  • Social Enterprise, percentage of your tuition supports local non-profits, and 100% of Homestay fees go directly to families

• 5 rating 100%
  • 4 rating 0%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
  • Instruction 4.9
Melanie

I attended 1-on-1 class at Casco Antiguo from 10/04 (TUES) - 10/07 (FRI), two hours per session for a total of eight hours of instruction. My teacher was Hector Gonzalez.

Hector customized the content of each session based on what I had previously expressed to be my proficiency gaps in Spanish. For example, some of what we covered were:

- When to use « se »
- When to use le, lo, etc …
- Verb tenses … imperfecto vs indefinido

We worked on reading comprehension, writing, and conversation.

I like this school for its quality of instruction, flexible scheduling, and location. Lastly, but not least and definitely just as important, Hector made the learning process fun and engaging.

Thank you, Casco Antiguo Team, for a lovely experience. I hope to be able to reconnect later down the road for more lessons.

Pros
  • Customized Learning
  • Reasonably Priced
  • Easy Accessible Location
Thomas

5 weeks of super school

A terrific school in a great location. The school will meet all your needs. Whether a quick refresh or a more in-depth nuanced understanding, Casco Antiguo can deliver. Great (and fun!) instructors that want you to succeed.

Location, Facilities, Instructors and don't forget location! Love Cosco.

Pros
  • Instructors
  • Location
Jeanna

Casco Antiguo Spanish School - Casco Viejo, Panama

My husband, myself, and our 11-year old son participated in classes at Casco Antiguo. Everyone we encountered at the school was friendly, helpful and created a great environment for us all. Our teacher kept the class interesting by teaching, including games, and taking us into the community for real practice. We are all beginner Spanish speakers, but Casco made us feel very comfortable. We also participated in the free activities of salsa dancing and the bike tour. The bike tour around the Costa Cintera was beautiful. Casco Antiguo Spanish School helped us fall in love with Panama! We plan to return to Panama and will definitely visit Casco Antiguo Spanish School when we do! I highly recommend Casco Antiguo for your Spanish learning needs.

Angelica

Excellent Experience!!

My son had a great time.  In a short period of time he was able to make short conversations and give some proper answers to common questions.  He enjoyed it and would love to go back.  I highly recommend it. Teachers and management are really friendly and ready to accommodate us based on our needs. School is located in one of the most beautiful areas of Panama city and you can feel pretty safe walking around.  We don't use the accommodation service, so my opinion is not valid on this point. If you have the time, give the chance to this experience

Brittnie

A super helpful experience!

I took private lessons and mini group sessions over the course of several weeks and they were super helpful! It was easy to schedule and coordinate with staff and the lessons were flexible so we could focus on what we needed to be able to communicate (renting a car and traveling around the country). The regularly scheduled happy hours are super fun too! Kiki was the BEST, and he helped us with info that enabled us to go see the sloths that we wanted to see :) Highly recommend if you're looking for flexible and affordable lessons.

Pros
  • flexible lessons
  • fun social events
  • good location
Cons
  • yoga no longer offered post covid
Cristina

6-Weeks Spanish Lessons

Great experience for my daughter. The school was very accommodating and responsive. I appreciate the fact that the learning style was a combination of classroom learning and then applying the concepts to the real world by adventuring out and about. There were opportunities for my daughter to have both group and 1:1 classes which I also found very beneficial. The 6 week immersion period definitely gave her the boost that she needed. Location of the school is in Old Panama which is perfect! Highly recommend the school!

Magnus

Great one week experience

I spent two and a half weeks in Panama this summer and of that time I spent one week learning Spanish at Casco Antiguo Spanish School. As a Norwegian teacher of English myself, it was both inspiring and a lot of fun to be in the student seat again😊 My teacher Silka was a fun and enthusiastic teacher, my class was also observed by another Panamanian who was training to become a Spanish teacher himself I believe. This allowed for a lot of varied group work in class where we often were playing games in teams of two where one student would mime a word to his or her team mate and the team mate would try to guess the word. After just one week of classes, I feel that my "entiende"(understanding) has improved quite a bit. I particularly liked the extra-curricular activities after class in the afternoon where I was both taught a beginner's class in salsa and taken for a scenic bike ride around Cinta Costera. I definitely recommend taking a course at Casco Antiguo Spanish School, just make sure that you stay for a few extra days after so you can practice your skills as you immerse yourself in this beautiful country and its beautiful people👌

Pros
  • Varied teaching with a focus on fun learning
  • Excursions to local museums and extra-curricular activities
Cons
  • English level in teachers could be slightly better for improved understanding through a reference language when students have questions
Phil

Great Overall Experience

I had a great experience with the school. Small class sizes and patient instructors. They really create an extremely welcoming family like atmosphere.

I spent the first week of an extended mission trip to Panama refreshing on some old high school Spanish skills that I had not used in 20 years. Tricia from the school was very easy to communicate and coordinate with via WhatsApp and email before I arrived in country. They really go out of their way to be a complete resource for people traveling in Panama. The welcome email included useful tips on transportation and local tipping culture.

They provided an online placement test to try and get me in the right class. They started me at a pretty basic level based on my results. My instructor asked if I wanted to move to a higher level by break time of the first day. I didn't change right away, but I let Tricia know after the end of the first day and they easily accommodated moving me to a higher level starting with day 2. They seem to have a basic lesson plan, but my instructor was willing to go a little off plan to answer any of my questions. With only limited time available, I felt like I was able to get a really good refresher. Classes included getting out and walking around the neighborhood to practice.

My wife was pretty much starting from scratch with Spanish and she had a very good experience with her beginner lessons as well. One week is obviously not enough to go from novice to fluent Spanish speaker, but she found it very helpful to practice hearing and understanding basic vocabulary.

They also have evening activities in the area and will help link you up with other local activities. Circumstances did not allow me to participate in the extracurricular activities, but I think it is a great service and I definitely would participate if I did not have other commitments.

I would definitely recommend Casco Antiquo Spanish School to anyone in Panama looking to improve their Spanish skills.

Pros
  • Great support
  • Small classes
  • Very flexible and easy to work with
Cons
  • None