Spanish in Nature: Madrid | Personal Teacher & Homestay

Aqueduct of Segovia, 45 minute drive from el Boalo.
Guadarrama National Park
In the Peñalara Natural Park
Student learning to cook tortilla de patata in Living in the teacher´s home
Student learning to cook tortilla de patata in Living in the teacher´s home

This course gives you the unique opportunity of a full immersion experience, living with and being taught by your own personal teacher. One to one course with 3 hours of class per day.

You will have the benefit of a private room and bathroom, full board, and you will experience many activities with the teacher´s family. It´s an ideal option for students (children and adults) who are looking for a custom made program or who have their own specific requirements or requests.

Share this course with friends and relatives with a similar language level. You can share the lessons and accomodation in the same teacher family. There is a 10% discount on the course for each student.

Their website breaks down the fees for you per week so take a look here: http://www.spanishinnature.com/the-teachers-home/

• Instruction 9.7
  • Program Selection 9.5
  • Pre-departure Help 10
  • In-program Support 9.5
  • Impact on Student 10
Karin

One of the best decisions we have ever made...

We were slightly nervous at sending our fourteen year old daughter somewhat into the unknown for the summer camp with Esther and Alvaro at Spanish in Nature, however, it turned out to be one of the best decisions we have ever made. From the initial enquiry stage, through booking, packing, arriving, the duration of the camp and even on our daughter’s return, Esther kept us fully informed and moreover continuously delighted and impressed by the opportunities and experiences that were on offer. Our daughter had the most incredible time being totally immersed in the Spanish language and culture as well as making new friends from around the world and having daily adventures in the beautiful location where the school is set. She returned to England rightly proud of herself with a huge improvement in her spoken and written Spanish. However, even more than that she has grown in confidence and maturity as a person from the wonderful experiences she has had. We also can’t thank her kind host family enough who along with their two children made her stay the most fun and happy as well as educational time. Our daughter is already trying to plan to attend again next year!

David

Father and teenage son

I booked a one week Spanish in Nature: Personal Teacher & Homestay program for my 16 year old son and I as part of a 15 day tour of Spain from Australia, relying solely on the effusive online reviews of Spanish in Nature's past students and parents. After spending a wonderful week with Esther, Alvaro and family in June 2019, I am happy to say that the reviews, superlatives and all, are genuine and accurate.

The teaching was perfectly tailored to our respective levels and expertly delivered by Alvaro as well as 2 wonderful, interesting and talented local professoras, Ana and Lucia on different days. A full 3 hours of language classes each morning (2 hours individually and 1 hour together, to allow for our different levels) were packed with interesting discussions and practical tips.

Of course the classes were only the tip of the iceberg - the whole experience was so much more. Esther and Alvaro's home is beautiful and comfortable, and their family always made us feel welcome and at home - sharing wonderful meals together, swimming in the pool and visiting local towns - like we were part of the family (just much slower in communicating in Spanish!). We also had our own space if and when we needed it.

They always showed patience, generosity and kindness in looking after us, showing us around, visiting a range of interesting historical and other attractions both nearby and further afield including Segovia and central Madrid, all the while conversing with us in Spanish (helping out where necessary) about our experiences, Spain, history, culture, food, music, each other and the world.

A first rate language and cultural immersion experience which I highly recommend.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
For the grown ups - visiting an outrageously packed and raucous local bar in central Madrid for a quick dinner/racciones with Alvaro.
Yves

A Well-Crafted Immersion Program

Spanish in Nature offers more than simply a well-crafted linguistic immersion program, it opens the door to the daily life of a Spanish family with real people willing to share a little bit of their intimacy. The experience engages us, the guests, not only at the intellectual level, but also at a deeper level. I was constantly invited to react, respond and share, which led to a rapid increase in fluency.
From the start, it is obvious that Esther and Alvaro have put a lot of thought and dedication into the program. All the elements are there to create the perfect experience – the nearby mountain range for hiking, a beautiful home with comfortable rooms, the well-appointed classroom, the delicious food eaten with the family, the well-planned activities, the easy pick-up and drop-off at the airport, etc.
With Alvaro and Laura as teachers, I was able to focus on my specific needs, deepening my understanding of the Spanish grammar and my grasp of the language. Both are excellent teachers who used various tools to make learning enjoyable – from cards to songs to comedy skits. My fluency in Spanish increased tremendously in a week. In fact, shortly after the course, I was able to conduct a 10 minute telephone conversation with a native Spanish speaker I did not know, almost seamlessly.
Spending a week at the home of Esther and Alvaro was one of the highlights of the year.

Stephanie-Nicole

Every Child Should Do This!!

My son went for the first time in the summer of 2018 and now he is going back for February Half term. He had so much fun and learnt so much, this trip made him grow and develop in more ways than just learning a language. Easter and Anna the host family were wonderful and kept me up to date with my sons progress and his general mood. I was very impressed and felt very proud of my son. this program helps them not just to learn a managed but to understand it and the culture behind it. My son made many friends around the world and felt like he truly had a second home while there and still talks about his host family today as they meant so much to him. I couldn't be more thankful to them all for making my sons experience one to remember. I would highly recommend this school and will continue to send my son in future years.

N/A everything seemed perfect to me, however I wish you did longer than two weeks. I would like to send my son for 3/4 week programs.
Alex

Amazing homestay with great teachers and a wonderful family!!

To put my review in context I am a 34 year old man, working in finance in London. Prior to staying with Spanish in Nature (Esther & Alvaro) I was studying on an evening course twice a week in London and had just completed 60 hours of classroom lessons at the time I flew out to them (October 2018). 60 hours sounds like a lot but for me it was just enough to have some very very basic knowledge of Spanish with very little spoken Spanish. Being an older student I was a bit nervous about what to expect. Having returned a couple of weeks ago I can honestly say that it was one of the best experiences of my life not only for learning the language but also to have spent time with an amazing family and to have also learnt about Spanish culture and been able to experience different afternoons out in places I never would have seen in my life. From the moment you arrive every second is in Spanish. Being pretty new to the language it probably took my brain a day or two to start fully absorbing the words and phrases and to start committing them to memory. However you soon find yourself keen to speak and ask questions and have normal every day conversations that you’re never going to get in a classroom. My studying was tailored to my level of Spanish and I felt like the pace and the things that I learned were just the right amount for me. My tutor Alícia came to the house every morning for a few hours and we had classroom based lessons. She’s an excellent teacher and knows just how to structure the lessons to your specific level, I was very impressed. After the lesson I would then do a quick bit of homework, then we’d sit down for lunch and talk in Spanish about every day things. After lunch for the afternoon I was then fortunate to go hiking with Alvaro and/or Esther, into Madrid to see the city, or to go see flamenco or into Segovia. The days flew by and I was genuinely very sad to leave them after a week as very much felt part of their family, they are wonderful people and their children also engage with you over dinner to help you learn. The one regret for me is that I only stayed for one week. I think to really accelerate your learning, two weeks minimum is better as when you return you find yourself answering questions in Spanish or just wanting to speak it every second. I can’t recommend Spanish in Nature enough, they are excellent and I’m hoping to return next year to learn more and spend time with them all! If anyone has any questions I’m happy if you want to reach out to me but I promise you will not be disappointed at all :)

It’s perfect as it is
Wendele

Learning and having fun

I have stayed a week at Esther and Alvaro’s place for Spanish lessons. They are lovely, easy going people with three great children. A family where you feel at home right away. They cook great spanish food and conversations take place around the kitchen table. I had three hours of private lessons a day, of great quality. It is possible to focus on the things you want to improve. The surroudings of the house are beautifull and perfectly suited for outdoor activities (we did great hikes and a mountainbike tour). In short, a great combination of learning and having fun!

Steven

Spanish in Nature

A truly excellent experience. Esther and her family are so kind and welcoming.
The days were filled from beginning to end with activity. Walking in the forests, visits to towns, castles, palaces and a microbrewery. All the visits were guided by either Esther or Alvaro who, both, provided a wealth of detail about all we saw.
All meals were freshly prepared Spanish food and extremely delicious and healthy.
Everything was conducted in Spanish. All at a level and pace that was understandable. If English was required to assist with explanation, then this was done, before returning to Spanish. I only have a basic level of Spanish and at no point was I allowed to feel out of my depth. Using Spanish all the time felt very natural in this environment and learning style.
I highly recommend the experience.

Janet Susan

Spanish in Nature Immersion Trip

Amazing 4 days with the Campos family, approximately 50 kilometres from Madrid. Beautiful house in beautiful surroundings. Felt very welcome right from the start. Nothing was too much trouble. So patient and encouraging. I learnt so much Spanish and felt able to speak, practice, make mistakes and learn from them. It was truly a brilliant experience and has moved my learning on and motivated me to progress further.
We had some wonderful walks in the Sierra De Guadarrama National Park. The bird watching is incredible. We visited local places of interest and all the time speaking in Spanish, listening to Spanish and sharing learning experiences.
As well as eating indoors around the family table there are also three other lovely places in and around their garden for sitting and chatting, eating and practicing Spanish conversation. I think this is one of my best memories from an entirely memorable trip.

I did not feel anything was lacking
Victoria

Spanish in Nature - Summer 2018

Our sons had an incredible, 2-week experience with Spanish in Nature. They came away with a much deeper appreciation of Spanish culture as well as much greater fluency in the language. When we spent a couple of days in Madrid after their stay with their host families outside Madrid, our sons received such nice compliments about how well they spoke the language. Choosing this program made all the difference in making the experience fun. Our sons got to go on exciting excursions such as kayaking and hiking. They also went to Madrid and Segovia for enriching cultural activities. The most important aspect was sharing these experiences with their host families, which really helped them learn and appreciate the culture. This element is so critically important because it makes the language come alive and become a part of them. Without reservation, we advise anyone to participate in Spanish in Nature. It offers a wonderful balance of language instruction, cultural immersion, and fun activities with host families and other children. All in all, an incredible experience for our kids.

Joe

Great school great people

I have recently spent two weeks studying Spanish with my daughters (aged 13 and 7) at “Spanish in Nature,” the family-run language school at the foot of the mountains outside Madrid. Having come across this school on the Internet last year, I did not know what to expect. It was a wonderful experience. Not only are Alvaro and Esther, the school’s founders and its principal teachers, competent and professional, but also welcoming and generous. From the moment we arrived we felt part of their family. Classes took place in the mornings in the well-equipped “aula” in the family home. Alvaro diligently prepared each class, effectively alternating tough grammar drills with interesting lessons on Spanish and Latin American literature, cinema and current affairs. Esther was the warmest and most loving teacher to my youngest daughter, who was at her very first experience with formal training in a foreign language. The afternoons were dedicated to excursions and visits. El Boalo, the small town where the school is based, is blessed with cool temperatures and a great location, less than one hour away from terrific mountain hikes in the Sierra de Guadarrama and the major sites of Madrid and its museums and parks, the Escorial palace, the Valle de los Caidos, etc. Beautifully preserved historical towns of Avila, Toledo and Segovia are also close by. I would be seriously remiss not to mention the cuisine. Esther is a fantastic cook and we got treated to an ever changing variety of gazpachos and salmorejos, paellas, asados, pistos, tortillas, croquettes, barbecoas, and more. A great feast indeed. Most of all, it was our hosts’ warmth and generosity that made our time in Spain so precious. We are grateful to Esther and Alvaro for a great time, and very much look forward to returning to “Spanish in Nature” next year.

Wendy

A most memorable holiday and learning experience

My husband, daughter and I had an amazing week staying with Alvaro and Esther and their three lovely children in August. It exceeded all expectations. As any family would be, we were really apprehensive, before we went, wondering and worrying about what it would be like to stay with complete strangers in their home but our worries vanished instantly on arrival because we were made to feel so welcome and by the end of the week, we felt that we had known the family for years. No family could be more friendly and hospitable.
The purpose of our visit was for our 12 year old daughter to improve her Spanish beyond the little she had done in a term and a half in her first year at senior school. She had a three hour formal lesson each day, being one-to-one tuition with Alvaro and she thoroughly enjoyed her lessons.
We went on some really interesting trips during our week, including spending a day exploring Madrid. Our daughter enjoyed rock climbing with Alvaro and Lucia, his elder daughter and canoeing with all the family.
Our first meal soon after arrival was a lovely lunch of paella, cooked outside by Alvaro and all the meals in the week were mouth-wateringly delicious. The weather was fantastic and we really enjoyed the Spanish way of life with the afternoon siesta out of the heat of the day and lovely after dinner chats late into the evening.
The house was situated in beautiful surroundings and it was all so peaceful.
It really was a most idyllic week and one we very much hope to repeat. The worst part of the week was saying goodbye at the end and we were so sad to leave. However, we left in the full knowledge that we intended to return the following summer and for two weeks instead of one and, of course, we knew that we would have our happy memories of our time spent with Alvaro, Esther and family.

From our point of view, no improvement could be made.
Piers

A week's immersion with Spanish in Nature

Having studied Spanish as an autodidact for several years I needed an immersive experience that gave me a chance to practice and extend what I had already learned. For me Spanish in Nature provided just what I needed, and a little more besides.
Most importantly Esther and Alvaro were fantastic hosts and went out of their way to ensure I got the most out of my stay. Their home and its setting were lovely and being made to feel one of the family allowed me a proper glimpse into Spanish culture first hand.
What I especially liked was their willingness to adapt the programme to my needs and interests.
I like being outdoors and active, and I found learning Spanish in these environments was especially enjoyable and beneficial. Walking in the nearby National Park was the perfect backdrop for conversation, and playing golf with one of Esther's friends who spoke no English was just the sort of challenge I needed. Another highlight was playing Padel for the first time with Alvaro and a couple of his friends. Of course we went for the obligatory cañas after the game, which provided a great opportunity for me to practice my Spanish in a natural social setting.
Esther readily helped me too with some of my written Spanish, which meant that the grammar didn't get ignored, even if this was not my personal focus.
I really enjoyed the range of Spanish dishes Esther cooked for me, many using ingredients from their own vegetable garden, and had relaxed chats at dinner time with their children too.
This was a challenging but memorable week and the programme Esther and Alvaro provide is one I would strongly recommend to anyone who wants to take their Spanish onto the next level.

Since I wanted to learn in the context of doing activities I suggested that Alvaro/Esther take notes on my Spanish whilst we are out and about, so that they can give me some feedback on specific areas.
They were very keen to have my feedback and so I am confident this will be taken on board when accompanying future guests on excursions.
Natalia

Spanish in Nature

At the end of May I stayed in El Boalo, Madrid for an immersion course called "Spanish in Nature" (as it’s located in the heart of Guadarrama National Park, in the mountains). It's been an unusual experience to me, first of all, since I had been lucky to win a contest and got a week of the course absolutely for free, and also, as the family that provided me with everything in their own house were amazing. They've treated me like one of them, cooked delicious Spanish food and spent with me a lot of quality time. With the variety of activities I had every day (like participating in the local events, family life, hiking, rock climbing, swimming, cycling, visiting Madrid and Segovia and so on) it was impossible to be bored. To combine such entertainment with speaking Spanish all the time, to me, was the best way to acquire the language. Apart from that, I had 3 hours of proper classes every day. I’m surprised how one week of the course made me more confident speaking Spanish and not Spanglish.
Esther, Álvaro and their children are particularly open, caring, patient and interesting people and I would totally recommend their courses to anyone who wants to improve their Spanish.

Kajetan

The best thing I have done so far

I had a fantastic week “STUDY AND LIVE IN THE TEACHER´S HOME”. What a wonderful time, I have learned a lot. From the first moment I felt welcome, Alvaro and Esther are very passionate teachers, the lessons were tailored to my needs, the use of multimedia (newspapers, journals, video) made the lessons very versatile. The daily activities included nature (national parks behind the village and sight seeing). I have also been introduced to friends in the village which all are very welcioming.
This was certainly on of the best weeks I ever had

Michael

Inmersión en España

Soy de Inglaterra y soy aprendiendo español me ayudar en mi vacaciones en Perú. Empecé estudiar español hace diez meses. Toda día hablamos español y no permitía hablar inglés. Es difícil pero la familia fueron muy agradable y más importante hablaron despacio. Ahora tengo más confianza, puedo entender más español y generalmente él gente me puede entender.
Highly recommended. I will be going back.

Make sure the three hour classes are in the morning when you are at you freshest

About Spanish in Nature

A real full immersion experience, living with and being taught by your own Spanish teacher. We are a small and family Spanish home/school in Guadarrama N.P. Madrid. The students live and study at the teacher´s home which gives a cosy and pleasant...