The Education Abroad Network: Study in Newcastle, Australia

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship 2019

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. The scholarship can be used for any Summer or Fall 2019 TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees, orientation and housing (up to $26,000 value).

TEAN has partnered with The University of Newcastle in Newcastle, Australia. This picturesque mid-size city is situated just two hours north of Sydney and offers a laid-back lifestyle, lower cost of living and beautiful beaches all still with a cosmopolitan vibe. With more than 2,000 courses on offer to study abroad students, there is a class to fit everyone's agree requirements.

Included in the program is a 5-day Orientation Excursion in Cairns where students visit the Great Barrier Reef, organized cultural activities throughout the semester, and an optional Spring Break excursion to Thailand or New Zealand (how amazing does that sound?!).

Discover Australia with TEAN as your guide - check out the TEAN website for more info!

Emma

Best Experience of My Life

Studying abroad through TEAN was the best experience of my life. The University of Newcastle was so welcoming and the campus is absolutely beautiful. The Samdon St Housing made it so easy to make local friends. The housing was also super close to cafes, shops, the grocery store, and public transportation. It was a prime location.

TEAN also did a good job of planning excursions such as Bondi Surf Lessons and a night at the Sydney Opera house.

I wish some of the excursions were in Newcastle, because we would always have to take the train to Sydney which was a two hour ride. Otherwise nothing! I absolutely loved it. My only regret was not doing a full year.
Sarah

The Greatest Semester Yet

Newcastle, Australia is my new home away from home. Between the people I lived with and the places to go it has everything I need to be happy in life. I loved spending time going to Nobby's beach and walking down the break-wall to the light house. Not only is there so much fun to be in had in Newcastle but the surrounding areas as well. Port Stephens is a great area. There are some incredibly beautiful beaches and hikes. But, if you are looking for a really cool day trip in the area Caves beach is the place to go.

Sarah

Definitely don't miss your chance :)

One of the wonderful experiences I have enjoyed while abroad in Newcastle, was on a Saturday that a local market was open. This market allowed me to access Newcastle's local culture in design & style as well as listening to local musicians and eating local foods. I attended this market with a few of my housemates both Australians and Americans. They were able to inform me on some of Newcastle's very interesting facts and some of their personal interesting facts. I felt very connected with Newcastle cultural and socially.

The only thing I would change is honestly nothing!!!
Catherine

A Semester in Newy!

Study abroad in Newcastle, Australia was the best decision of my life! From the food, to the people, to my classes, to the beaches-- there isn't a single complaint I have about my time abroad.

I loved attending the University of Newcastle! The classes were interesting and challenging, but not at all overwhelming, which allowed for time to explore such a beautiful part of the country. There are organizations on campus for international students, too, that allow students to meet other students and explore the country. One of these organizations brought us on a wine tour in the Hunter Valley.The region is so incredibly beautiful and I was thankful for the opportunity to do something so fun! The campus was beautiful, as well, with lots of trees and wildlife. I was able to live on campus in a dorm, with 5 other Australians, and it was a blast! I truly was able to learn about and immerse myself in Australian culture.

Going through TEAN was also the best decision I could have made. The staff are super, super supportive and helpful through the entire process, before you leave, when you're abroad, and even once you return! They made the process of studying abroad a lot less stressful and made sure that everyone had an incredible experience!

My biggest piece of advice is to just GO FOR IT! Study abroad, and go to Newy! It will be the best time of your life, I promise. I didn't believe it when people would tell me study abroad changed their life. But I can say for certain now, it absolutely changed my whole outlook on life, and it's worth it to go abroad!

Megan

The Experience of a Lifetime!

During my time abroad I became a more independent and confident person. I believe that going to Australia on my own was a huge factor in this. It forced me to really put myself out there in meeting new people and being adventurous. The entire experience abroad was absolutely worthwhile and I would recommend doing it through the Education Abroad Network to anyone. They made the entire process simple and painless. Living in Australia for 5 months was truly life changing. I am so thankful I took advantage of the oppourtunity to do it during my college education!

If I had to change one thing about the program it would be having them offer more scholarships to the students that are studying abroad through them. This would make the whole financial process easier for more students.
Jamie

The best five months of my life!

The Education Abroad Network was immensely thoughtful in the way everything was organized from the time I applied to the program to this day. Choosing Newcastle as my location was a great decision. It was more affordable than living in some of the bigger cities, allowed me to befriend locals, and it was conveniently located near the city, the beach, and campus. My favorite three pieces to my time abroad were the pre-semester trips (orientation in Sydney and the pre-semester excursion in Cairns), the Uni soccer team that I joined, and living with Australians which provided me with a cultural experience I feel some of my friends that studied elsewhere did not have the opportunity to meet as many locals on a personal level.

An orientation in Newcastle would have been helpful to feel more comfortable with public transportation from the start.
Jaclyn

Amazing Experience

Choosing to study at the University of Newcastle and use TEAN as a provider was an amazing fit for me. I really immersed myself in the Newcastle lifestyle, made life long friends and unforgettable memories. Living at the Samdon Street housing was a great experience because I got to live with a bunch of Australians and learn about their culture first hand. It made it really easy to get involved because there were always people around and things to do. The uni was also a short train or bus ride away and I liked attending a campus because my home college is very city based.

Australia in general is an expensive place, I wish I was more prepared on where my budget would go and travel expenses.
Travelbug1993

Best Adventure of my Life

I learned that I can survive on my own and that my future activities are not just in America, they are anywhere in the world I want to go. I learned so much about myself, a foreign culture, and even my own culture. I learned to appreciate life. Best experience of my life- thus far!

TEAN is amazing!
caitlyn_moore

Go to the land down under!

Studying abroad in Australia was the best decision I have ever made! Newcastle was absolutely gorgeous and it was a short run to the beach! The weather was beautiful and the people were extremely friendly. The academics were very challenging and hands on. I learned so much and we worked as if we were professionals in our field already. Newcastle is only a three hour train ride to Sydney and I found myself going there at least once a week! (sometimes more) There are so many activities to get involved in and so many things to do. Living in Australia definitely changed my life!

I would make the program longer!
aburns321

University of Newcastle Australia

There is no link yet for the Universtity of Newcastle, because I was the first one to attend that University through the TEAN program. But Newcastle is just north of Sydney, and I feel like I got the best of both worlds! The University of Newcastle is a gorgeous campus with bridges, streams, and a jungle-like atmosphere. The Beaches in Newcastle are amazing, and the community is very friendly and welcoming. I had an absolute blast experiencing the food, culture, and local activities, and also visiting Sydney to get the "big city" feel on a regular basis!

To further advertize the University of Newcastle, and show students what an amazing opportunity it is!

About The Education Abroad Network

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is a full-service international education provider specializing in immersive study and internship programs throughout Asia Pacific. Creating close partnerships the best universities in Australia, New Zealand and...