TEAN: Study Abroad in Chiang Mai, Thailand

Boats lined up along Railay Beach
Boats lined up along Railay Beach
The inside of Wat Suan Dok, a temple near Uniloft (the student apartments that we lived in)
Feeding and bathing elephants on a TEAn excursion to the Elephant Nature Park.
Feeding and bathing elephants on a TEAn excursion to the Elephant Nature Park.
Angkor Wat at Sunrise
Meeting an Elephant
Meeting an Elephant
Beautiful river view at Sunset in Sukhotai
Beautiful river view at Sunset in Sukhotai

TEAN provides an unbeatable study abroad experience in Thailand's cultural capital of Chiang Mai. Along with taking courses in Southeast Asia studies, students can dive deep into Thai culture thanks to Chiang Mai's affordable cost of living, hundreds of Buddhist temples, vibrant markets, emphasis on art and architecture, and welcoming people.

Your semester and summer studying in Thailand includes a TEAN orientation program, cultural excursions, academic field trips, plus special opportunities to volunteer around the city. TEAN students also benefit from the guidance and support of on-site Resident Director and academic staff throughout their stay.

Visit the TEAN website to learn more and apply online!

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. It's an annual scholarship that can be used for any TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees and orientation (up to $15,000 value).

Katherine

A Lifetime of Experiences in 4 months

I picked my program because 1. Thailand is beautiful, 2. I could fulfill my gen ed requirements easily, 3. because it was cheap. I was hoping to adventure hard for 6 months, because without "studying," I would only be allowed in Thailand for 30 days on my passport.

I was not expecting to learn about the world in so many ways. On the first day of our orientation, we learned about how to be ethical tourists, and how to react to things that surprise us. We went to a cafe that supports Shan refugees, and heard one girl's personal story. We went to an ethical elephant park and learned about the abuse many elephants go to. In class and on field trips, we learned about the complications of US intervention.

I received the adventure I was looking for, and unexpectedly learned so much about the the world.

Although we did have time designated to meeting local people, and had the option to live with a Thai person, I think it would be beneficial for the program if they facilitated more time getting to know local students.
Sara

Unforgettable 5 Months

My time in Chiang Mai is difficult to summarize in a short blurb, however, I will try my best. Chiang Mai is a beautiful city full of culture and life around every corner. I feel extremely lucky to have been able to call it home, even if for just a few months. I learned so much about the world and my own country by going abroad, both in the classroom and out. I took some of my favorite classes while abroad and was even able to take field trips to the places we talked about in class. Additionally, I was lucky enough to be able to travel throughout Thailand and Southeast Asia, which I am extremely grateful for. All in all, I will never forget my time in Chiang Mai and think everyone deserves such a life-changing experience. Thank you Chiang Mai!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
While staying at the homestay experience in the first few weeks, my host mom would make me a lot of delicious food, however, I oftentimes had no idea what I was eating. One of my favorite dishes was definitely the whole fish she prepared in a broth. It was something totally different from what I was used to but I absolutely loved it!
Sara

Best 5 Months

The five months I spent in Chiang Mai were some of the most life-changing, largely thanks to TEAN's support. Firstly, TEAN emphasized cultural immersion and understanding which helped me to learn a lot, about myself, my country, and others. TEAN also did so much to support us while we were there, from taking us on awesome field trips to getting massages, TEAN never failed to provide us with a great time. The location of Chiang Mai is also perfect for traveling throughout Thailand and all of Southeast Asia. Traveling was an integral part in making my experience so unforgettable. However, Chiang Mai was the best place to call home. All in all, my time in Chiang Mai was education, enjoyable, and unforgettable. If you are thinking about doing this program you absolutely should!

Eliza

Best summer of my life

Thailand was always on my top places to go since I was young and I am so incredibly happy that I chose to study abroad there as I was truly able to immerse myself into the culture and experience life in Chiang Mai. The minute I stepped off the plane in Chiang Mai I immediately felt welcomed and at home. The culture in Thailand is vastly different from anything I have ever encountered before and I loved taking it all in and experiencing every part of it. TEAN was very helpful and the staff that were with us in Chiang Mai were absolutely AMAZING!! If I ever needed anything or ran into any issues while I was abroad, they were always there to help and assist with anything I needed. Between the incredible food, amazing people, and a culture unlike anywhere else, I am so grateful I chose Chiang Mai and I urge anyone who is thinking about going abroad to go with TEAN!!

Interact with as many local Thai people as you can!! I ended up meeting and building relationships with some amazing local business owners and they had such a positive impact on my trip. It really is no wonder why Thailand is referred to as the land of smiles!
Skylar

Studying abroad was the best decision I've made!

I was extremely apprehensive in my decision whether or not to go abroad; however, it ended up being the best decision that I have ever made. Not only was my world view broadened, I also learned so much about myself and my role as a global citizen. I gained a strengthened sense of my own identity as an Asian American studying in Asia. and I have become a more confident person. I had no prior experience in international travel, but now I consider myself a pro traveler. Chiang Mai was the perfect place for me; it was so different from what I am accustomed to in the US, such as its slow pace of life, and the people there are extremely friendly and kind. The homestay was such a great way of experiencing it first-hand and to get integrated into Thai society, and I deeply cherish those memories. TEAN was extremely accommodating, right from the start of the application process up until the day the program ended. They prepared us for assimilating into Thai culture, which was greatly appreciated considering how intimidating it was to go to a country that I didn't know the language of and they kept us busy during orientation (such as taking us to an elephant sanctuary or visiting Wat Doi Suthep!), which helped immensely with jet lag. The excursion to the Golden Triangle was also very enjoyable for me, as I feel like I learned so much from this trip that I would not have experienced if it were not for the program. Over the course of 5 months, I made so many friends and countless amazing memories. No matter any concerns that you might have, do not let that stop you from making the decision from coming here! You will not regret it.

Ann

Thrilling and Fulfilling

I chose Thailand because I heard it was beautiful and cheap. Yet what I didn't realize was Thailand is beautiful through their people, culture, food, and of course natural beauty from the mountains to the beaches. Some of the best food (and spiciest food) I have ever eaten in my life was because of my time studying abroad in Thailand. I absolutely loved my time abroad in Chiang Mai, Thailand and wish I could do it all over again. As soon as we arrived in Chiang Mai, TEAN began introducing us to the Thai culture by informing us of dos and don'ts and by taking us to places all around the city. I was immediately welcomed by TEAN and Thai people and am so grateful TEAN invested so much time into us! TEAN went above and beyond when they did not need to. When the air quality was at its poorest, TEAN relocated us to Bangkok, gave us air purifiers, masks, and bussed us to school. All of these precautions showed TEAN really cares for their students. Since everything in Thailand is very cheap in comparison to the United States, it was so easy to try new foods and buy cute items at all the markets in Chiang Mai. There are so many things to do in Chiang Mai you will never get bored! I have never grown so much in so many aspects of my life before studying abroad and I thank TEAN for making the experience so easy going. I will never forget Chiang Mai and can't wait to go back to my second home.

The only thing I would improve about this program are a few of the professors in ISEAA at TEAN. The academics were not hard but if some of the professors were better teachers, I would have learned more academically studying abroad.
McKenna

Semester in Chiang Mai Thailand, best semester ever!

I made the choice to study abroad because I wanted to push myself outside my comfort zone while seeing the world from a new perspective. Going through the TEAN: Semester Program in Chiang Mai, Thailand has been the highlight of my college career. It was a bit intimidating at first, as it’s not a popular location, and I did not know anyone going, but the TEAN staff on site had us jump right into things! Without the opportunities and excursions TEAN gave us, I might not have experienced what it was like to live like a local for 5 months. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would not have changed one thing.
My favorite part was our homestay in Baan Sri Khum village with a local family who hosted us for a week. My entire experience abroad would have been so different if it weren’t for that one week that TEAN had set aside for us to integrate ourselves into the culture!

What was your funniest moment?
My funniest moment abroad was easily when a monkey stole my wallet while I was trying to take a picture!
Nina

The experience of a lifetime. GET READY!

In my notebook, I kept a section titled “moments” where I logged pages on pages of all the small, but impactful, experiences I had in Thailand. As I read through it now, attempting to answer this question, I can’t help but tear up. You don’t realize how far a simple smile can go until you experience it in place of words, and I don’t think there was one day I didn’t feel the radiating kindness. From the wholesome, simple lifestyle in the village, to the music blasting at Zoe in Yellow, each person reflected pure joy in what they were doing because they did it surrounded by those they love. It just goes to show how little we need to truly find happiness, and how important it is to hold onto it once we’ve got it. In Thailand, it was never about who had the next best thing, but instead how can we help someone feel a little bit better today. My biggest takeaway from studying abroad in Thailand was a shift in perspective and newfound appreciation for all that I’ve had and have the potential to receive. It’s eye-opening, and one day the whole world will see it too. Thank you TEAN.

SEIZE THE MOMENT! This opportunity is once in a lifetime. Take advantage of the locals and their willingness to bring you into their culture. See the wonders of the world. Go to places off the beaten path. You'll regret nothing. Becoming comfortable with being uncomfortable is the best thing I ever did
Stephanie

5 Months of Unimaginable Adventure

Choosing this particular program and destination was hands down the best decision I've ever made. The experience itself was challenging, fulfilling, heartwarming, immersive, and crazy fun. I would go back right now if I could. I'm Asian American and going back to a region that has a lot of familial history was eye-opening and an opportunity of a lifetime. I learned a lot about myself and I think I'm a better person because of the way I got out of my comfort zone (physically, mentally, spiritually).

I learned how to admire and participate in Thai culture while also respecting the practices. I gained a newfound understanding of Thailand and other Southeast Asian countries roles in geopolitics (which is extremely important if you've only been exposed to Western countries' roles). I learned how to be more patient and more understanding of those that are different than me. I also gained friends from other parts of the world (within the US and from Thailand) that I can't wait to see again!

Try as much food as you can! There is so much to learn and see, don't settle into a comfortable routine... keep exploring!
Devan

Chiang Mai has my heart!

This program was helpful from the day that I was interested to the day that I returned. I am so glad that I chose to study abroad in Chiang Mai with TEAN especially for their availability, value, immersion to the culture, and overall experience! Chiang Mai was filled with many unique restaurants and activities that TEAN helped get my fellow peers and I well acquainted with. The program did a great job of introducing you to this foreign country and making you feel safe before you even board the plane to Thailand. The program is a good balance between academic rigor and enjoying being abroad. The TEAN staff was always available to answer questions or help with any issues. Safety was a huge concern for me prior to leaving, when in reality, I really should not have! I never felt unsafe. Thai locals are ready to help and are quite friendly. There is no doubt in my mind that I want to return to Chiang Mai and live there long term.

I can honestly say that this program was all around amazing. They exceeded my expectations in every way and I can't think of a time that I felt like I wasn't getting my value from them as a program.
Margaux

I want to move to Chiang Mai!

Studying abroad in Thailand was the best experience of my life to date. I anticipated that I was going to have an amazing time but never could have imagined all of the beautiful places, people, and things that I would encounter. From visiting the most ethical Elephant Nature Park, to spending at night at Buddhist temple, to visiting the Golden Triangle (where opium used to be traded for gold) - I had such a wide array of experiences and there was so much opportunity for cultural immersion. The city has an amazing atmosphere that encourages you to explore and engage with local Thai culture. Our class discussions turned into excursions where we could better contextualize what we had just learned about. Having class at a local silk factory or Buddhist temple is a once in a life time experience and TEAN helped facilitate all of these unique opportunities.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I think the most surprising thing I did was participate in a monk chat at the Buddhist temple we stayed overnight at for our Buddhism in Thailand class. We had the opportunity to speak with two monks about their practice and life lessons. We also meditated with them and participated in alms round early in the morning. I have never had such an intimate conversation with someone so devoted to Buddhism and their practice. It was really eye opening partake in Thai Buddhist traditions, to go on alms round, and see locals provide offerings in exchange for blessings from the monks.
Abby

A Life-Changing Experience

I truly wish there was a more suitable word for my time abroad than a life-changing experience. Chiang Mai University classes expanded on topics rarely discussed in the United States and utilized the country around it for hands-on lessons, making going to class enjoyable and exciting. The things I learned through exploring Chiang Mai, Thailand, and Southeast Asia independently are things that can never be taught in an academic setting. Not only am I more aware of different cultures and lifestyles, but more accepting and willing to try new ideas. The people who I surrounded myself with brought out the best in me, through sharing experiences together and learning from their past experiences individually. After returning to America from Thailand, I feel there is a piece of me missing; a piece of my heart was left in the place I once called home. I am now able to reflect on so many wonderful memories of my time in Thailand and would highly recommend TEAN to any student looking to study abroad.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Studying abroad has always been a dream of mine. The months leading up to my departure date were exciting and optimistic; however, when it finally came time to leave America for Thailand, I was beyond nervous. Living in a country I had never been to, halfway across the world, knowing no one, was such an intimidating concept. I quickly realized that if I was going to make this experience a great one, I needed to change my attitude completely. Once arriving in Thailand, my nervous energy soon turned into excitement. Countless possibilities of my future time in Thailand raced through my mind and I was eager to try any and everything I could. Studying abroad through TEAN not only enabled me to meet and form close bonds with friends from across America, but along countless countries in Southeast Asia.
Gabrielle

Same, Same. But Different!

I have always been excited to travel abroad and choosing Chiangmai, Thailand as my destination was the best choice I could have made. I was instantly thrown into a culture I was very unfamiliar with, yet was welcomed with kindness and many smiles. TEAN offered a village homestay the first week we arrived, and this instant immersion into Thai culture formed the groundwork for the values we developed throughout this experience. As an art history major, I was in awe with the many beautiful temples I was able to visit and the local handmade artifacts I saw. Monk chats at these temples allowed me to further understand this Buddhist country. TEAN offered courses that allowed us to connect what we learned in class to the culture we were living in. I took a Contemporary Art course that allowed us to visit workshops, factories and museums. A Buddhist class I was enrolled in took a trip to a Buddhist temple for a meditation retreat. I loved the smell of food cooking on the sides of streets, the sound of motorcycles passing by and the sight of monks in their orange robes walking by. Thailand is a truly mesmerizing place that I was able to call home and TEAN allowed me to experience all that I could in these few months.

Emma

Great summer!

It was a great experience! I'm so glad I went to Thailand with a study abroad program so I could learn about the country more in-depth, and this program was a great way to do it. I loved being able to stay in the dorms and take classes at the host university, because it was a similar experience to being a student in that country and it allowed us to meet peers our own age. The class was really interesting, though not too challenging (which was perfect for experiencing the city). There were some very interesting field trips as a part of the class, like different temples and a weekend at a village. And of course the food was amazing, and not too expensive (if you stuck with Thai food). The timing worked out great with my schedule so I was able to do other things over the summer as well.

Isabella

The Land of Smiles!

I would recommend TEAN's study abroad program again and again! I absolutely loved my experience with TEAN and the opportunity to live in Chiang Mai, Thailand. TEAN has a very respectable and responsible staff that are always there for the students. It was very comforting to have the TEAN staff at my side during the duration of my time abroad. I valued the unique excursions and field trips that TEAN designed to ensure each student could fully immerse in Thai culture. We had the opportunity to be partnered with Thai buddies who even took us out to eat local food and walk around town.

Studying abroad in Chiang Mai, Thailand with TEAN has easily been one of my best decisions thus far. I was able to step out of my comfort zone and experience a one in a lifetime opportunity! One of my favorite memories from this program would be the one week home-stay we did in the beginning of the semester. Despite not knowing the language, I truly developed a relationship with my family that I'll never forget. My peers and I tasted authentic Thai food, planted rice in the open fields, and attended Buddhist ceremonies with our families. I received more than I could have imagined due to this trip - life-long friendships, a love for travel, and a home away from home.

I would absolutely recommend this program!

About The Education Abroad Network

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is a full-service international education provider specializing in immersive study and internship programs throughout Asia Pacific. Creating close partnerships the best universities in Australia, New Zealand and...