TEAN: Study Abroad in Chiang Mai, Thailand

Boats lined up along Railay Beach
Boats lined up along Railay Beach
The inside of Wat Suan Dok, a temple near Uniloft (the student apartments that we lived in)
Feeding and bathing elephants on a TEAn excursion to the Elephant Nature Park.
Feeding and bathing elephants on a TEAn excursion to the Elephant Nature Park.
Krabi Excursion
Beautiful river view at Sunset in Sukhotai
Beautiful river view at Sunset in Sukhotai
Meeting an Elephant
Meeting an Elephant

TEAN provides an unbeatable study abroad experience in Thailand's cultural capital of Chiang Mai. Along with taking courses in Southeast Asia studies, students can dive deep into Thai culture thanks to Chiang Mai's affordable cost of living, hundreds of Buddhist temples, vibrant markets, emphasis on art and architecture, and welcoming people.

Your semester and summer studying in Thailand includes a TEAN orientation program, cultural excursions, academic field trips, plus special opportunities to volunteer around the city. TEAN students also benefit from the guidance and support of on-site Resident Director and academic staff throughout their stay.

Visit the TEAN website to learn more and apply online!

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. It's an annual scholarship that can be used for any TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees and orientation (up to $15,000 value).

Katherine

A Lifetime of Experiences in 4 months

I picked my program because 1. Thailand is beautiful, 2. I could fulfill my gen ed requirements easily, 3. because it was cheap. I was hoping to adventure hard for 6 months, because without "studying," I would only be allowed in Thailand for 30 days on my passport.

I was not expecting to learn about the world in so many ways. On the first day of our orientation, we learned about how to be ethical tourists, and how to react to things that surprise us. We went to a cafe that supports Shan refugees, and heard one girl's personal story. We went to an ethical elephant park and learned about the abuse many elephants go to. In class and on field trips, we learned about the complications of US intervention.

I received the adventure I was looking for, and unexpectedly learned so much about the the world.

Although we did have time designated to meeting local people, and had the option to live with a Thai person, I think it would be beneficial for the program if they facilitated more time getting to know local students.
Sara

Unforgettable 5 Months

My time in Chiang Mai is difficult to summarize in a short blurb, however, I will try my best. Chiang Mai is a beautiful city full of culture and life around every corner. I feel extremely lucky to have been able to call it home, even if for just a few months. I learned so much about the world and my own country by going abroad, both in the classroom and out. I took some of my favorite classes while abroad and was even able to take field trips to the places we talked about in class. Additionally, I was lucky enough to be able to travel throughout Thailand and Southeast Asia, which I am extremely grateful for. All in all, I will never forget my time in Chiang Mai and think everyone deserves such a life-changing experience. Thank you Chiang Mai!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
While staying at the homestay experience in the first few weeks, my host mom would make me a lot of delicious food, however, I oftentimes had no idea what I was eating. One of my favorite dishes was definitely the whole fish she prepared in a broth. It was something totally different from what I was used to but I absolutely loved it!
Sara

Best 5 Months

The five months I spent in Chiang Mai were some of the most life-changing, largely thanks to TEAN's support. Firstly, TEAN emphasized cultural immersion and understanding which helped me to learn a lot, about myself, my country, and others. TEAN also did so much to support us while we were there, from taking us on awesome field trips to getting massages, TEAN never failed to provide us with a great time. The location of Chiang Mai is also perfect for traveling throughout Thailand and all of Southeast Asia. Traveling was an integral part in making my experience so unforgettable. However, Chiang Mai was the best place to call home. All in all, my time in Chiang Mai was education, enjoyable, and unforgettable. If you are thinking about doing this program you absolutely should!

Eliza

Best summer of my life

Thailand was always on my top places to go since I was young and I am so incredibly happy that I chose to study abroad there as I was truly able to immerse myself into the culture and experience life in Chiang Mai. The minute I stepped off the plane in Chiang Mai I immediately felt welcomed and at home. The culture in Thailand is vastly different from anything I have ever encountered before and I loved taking it all in and experiencing every part of it. TEAN was very helpful and the staff that were with us in Chiang Mai were absolutely AMAZING!! If I ever needed anything or ran into any issues while I was abroad, they were always there to help and assist with anything I needed. Between the incredible food, amazing people, and a culture unlike anywhere else, I am so grateful I chose Chiang Mai and I urge anyone who is thinking about going abroad to go with TEAN!!

Interact with as many local Thai people as you can!! I ended up meeting and building relationships with some amazing local business owners and they had such a positive impact on my trip. It really is no wonder why Thailand is referred to as the land of smiles!
Skylar

Studying abroad was the best decision I've made!

I was extremely apprehensive in my decision whether or not to go abroad; however, it ended up being the best decision that I have ever made. Not only was my world view broadened, I also learned so much about myself and my role as a global citizen. I gained a strengthened sense of my own identity as an Asian American studying in Asia. and I have become a more confident person. I had no prior experience in international travel, but now I consider myself a pro traveler. Chiang Mai was the perfect place for me; it was so different from what I am accustomed to in the US, such as its slow pace of life, and the people there are extremely friendly and kind. The homestay was such a great way of experiencing it first-hand and to get integrated into Thai society, and I deeply cherish those memories. TEAN was extremely accommodating, right from the start of the application process up until the day the program ended. They prepared us for assimilating into Thai culture, which was greatly appreciated considering how intimidating it was to go to a country that I didn't know the language of and they kept us busy during orientation (such as taking us to an elephant sanctuary or visiting Wat Doi Suthep!), which helped immensely with jet lag. The excursion to the Golden Triangle was also very enjoyable for me, as I feel like I learned so much from this trip that I would not have experienced if it were not for the program. Over the course of 5 months, I made so many friends and countless amazing memories. No matter any concerns that you might have, do not let that stop you from making the decision from coming here! You will not regret it.

Ann

Thrilling and Fulfilling

I chose Thailand because I heard it was beautiful and cheap. Yet what I didn't realize was Thailand is beautiful through their people, culture, food, and of course natural beauty from the mountains to the beaches. Some of the best food (and spiciest food) I have ever eaten in my life was because of my time studying abroad in Thailand. I absolutely loved my time abroad in Chiang Mai, Thailand and wish I could do it all over again. As soon as we arrived in Chiang Mai, TEAN began introducing us to the Thai culture by informing us of dos and don'ts and by taking us to places all around the city. I was immediately welcomed by TEAN and Thai people and am so grateful TEAN invested so much time into us! TEAN went above and beyond when they did not need to. When the air quality was at its poorest, TEAN relocated us to Bangkok, gave us air purifiers, masks, and bussed us to school. All of these precautions showed TEAN really cares for their students. Since everything in Thailand is very cheap in comparison to the United States, it was so easy to try new foods and buy cute items at all the markets in Chiang Mai. There are so many things to do in Chiang Mai you will never get bored! I have never grown so much in so many aspects of my life before studying abroad and I thank TEAN for making the experience so easy going. I will never forget Chiang Mai and can't wait to go back to my second home.

The only thing I would improve about this program are a few of the professors in ISEAA at TEAN. The academics were not hard but if some of the professors were better teachers, I would have learned more academically studying abroad.
McKenna

Semester in Chiang Mai Thailand, best semester ever!

I made the choice to study abroad because I wanted to push myself outside my comfort zone while seeing the world from a new perspective. Going through the TEAN: Semester Program in Chiang Mai, Thailand has been the highlight of my college career. It was a bit intimidating at first, as it’s not a popular location, and I did not know anyone going, but the TEAN staff on site had us jump right into things! Without the opportunities and excursions TEAN gave us, I might not have experienced what it was like to live like a local for 5 months. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would not have changed one thing.
My favorite part was our homestay in Baan Sri Khum village with a local family who hosted us for a week. My entire experience abroad would have been so different if it weren’t for that one week that TEAN had set aside for us to integrate ourselves into the culture!

What was your funniest moment?
My funniest moment abroad was easily when a monkey stole my wallet while I was trying to take a picture!
Nina

The experience of a lifetime. GET READY!

In my notebook, I kept a section titled “moments” where I logged pages on pages of all the small, but impactful, experiences I had in Thailand. As I read through it now, attempting to answer this question, I can’t help but tear up. You don’t realize how far a simple smile can go until you experience it in place of words, and I don’t think there was one day I didn’t feel the radiating kindness. From the wholesome, simple lifestyle in the village, to the music blasting at Zoe in Yellow, each person reflected pure joy in what they were doing because they did it surrounded by those they love. It just goes to show how little we need to truly find happiness, and how important it is to hold onto it once we’ve got it. In Thailand, it was never about who had the next best thing, but instead how can we help someone feel a little bit better today. My biggest takeaway from studying abroad in Thailand was a shift in perspective and newfound appreciation for all that I’ve had and have the potential to receive. It’s eye-opening, and one day the whole world will see it too. Thank you TEAN.

SEIZE THE MOMENT! This opportunity is once in a lifetime. Take advantage of the locals and their willingness to bring you into their culture. See the wonders of the world. Go to places off the beaten path. You'll regret nothing. Becoming comfortable with being uncomfortable is the best thing I ever did