The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): Study Abroad in Chiang Mai, Thailand

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): Study Abroad in Chiang Mai, Thailand

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship 2018

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. The scholarship can be used for any Summer or Fall 2018 TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees, orientation and housing (up to $26,000 value).

TEAN provides an unbeatable study abroad experience in Thailand's cultural capital of Chiang Mai. Along with taking courses in Southeast Asia studies, students can dive deep into Thai culture thanks to Chiang Mai's affordable cost of living, hundreds of Buddhist temples, vibrant markets, emphasis on art and architecture, and welcoming people.

Your semester and summer studying in Thailand includes a TEAN orientation program, cultural excursions, academic field trips, plus special opportunities to volunteer around the city. TEAN students also benefit from the guidance and support of on-site Resident Director and academic staff throughout their stay.

Visit the TEAN website to learn more and apply online!

Chiang Mai
Airport Transfers
SIM cards
Statement of Purpose
Letters of Recommendation

Ten Out of Ten in Thailand!

My experience with The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) was incredible. From trying new street foods on the daily, to discovering hidden garden cafes, exploring temples, shopping in different markets each night, hiking in the mountains, and finding waterfalls to swim in, the city of Chiang Mai always had something new and exciting to offer. For me, it was the perfect combination of urban and outdoor adventures. The city is surrounded by mountains that are within walking distance from the student apartments, so it is easy to get away from the city and go for a hike. It is also a foodie's paradise. I was surprised to find diverse foods from all over the world in Chiang Mai. The cost of a meal is generally 1-3 dollars, so trying new things is incredibly affordable.

I studied Southeast Asian Art, Cultural Foundations of Thai Society, and Thai language, which totaled up to 9 credits during my 7 week summer study abroad. The courses were challenging, yet engaging, and combined off-campus excursions with classroom discussions for a well-rounded learning experience.

In Thailand, I learned to go out and do things on my own. By the end of the trip, I was not only more confident in being a solo traveler, and had a new-found sense of self confidence.

The TEAN staff answered all of my questions, and helped me to fulfill all of my goals that I had for my study abroad experience. They were helpful throughout my entire study abroad experience, and continued to support my study abroad interests even after the program ended.

Overall, I highly recommend studying abroad with The Education Abroad Network!

Every aspect of the program was well planned out, and do not have any suggestions. My only regret was not picking a longer program!

The Best Decision I've Ever Made!

TEAN has a fantastic program, and Thailand is an amazing country, so it's pretty hard to go wrong. The academics were challenging, but incredibly interesting and engaging. TEAN organized really great excursions, from day trips to a weekend at the beach, and that's one of the things that makes their program so great. Chiang Mai is an incredible city to live in, with good food and cool cafes and a fun but chill bar scene, and it's a really cool place to be a student. The travel opportunities are also abundant, and I had the opportunity to visit Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, and Malaysia throughout the semester, as well as Bangkok and the southern islands. I went camping on an island in the south, and went hiking on the tallest peak in Thailand. I am so much more adventurous and open to new things now, and I plan on returning as soon as I possibly can. The experience changed me for the better, and I had an amazing time and made amazing friends. It is so worthwhile to study abroad anywhere, but going to Asia gets you off the beaten path (study abroad-wise) and opens you up to a lot of new things that you might never experience in the same way without the immersion of going to school in a country. The village homestay throws you right in, and it's a perfect way to start the semester. Everything is so inexpensive in Chiang Mai, as well, so it's possible to do so much when your money goes as far as it does! My number one advise would be to trust your gut! If you're thinking about going to Thailand, go with TEAN, and don't be afraid even if no one you know has ever been anywhere near Asia. You have everything to gain from this experience, and it's incredible.

Adventures in Thailand

Choosing The Education Abroad Network was one of the best decisions I ever made. With TEAN I never felt lost during the application process because they helped me every step of the way. From organizing my visa, flight plans, school credit transfers, and even packing advice they were just a quick email or phone call away. Through TEAN I also got to experience a homestay where I lived with a Thai family and truly immersed myself in Thai culture. We also had Thai buddies throughout the semester that took us around Chiang Mai and taught us about their traditions. There is never a dull moment in Chiang Mai since there is so much to explore! What I loved the most about Chiang Mai was that it had both scenic and cultural beauty. On the weekends, you can travel or hang out in the city and visit various museums, temples, markets, local restaurants, and hiking and outdoor activities. Our first few days in Thailand were spent at the Elephant Nature Park and the beautiful temple Wat Phra That Doi Suthep. Everyone in the program was so friendly and welcoming. The professors at Chiang Mai University were also very involved in making sure we got the most out of our time in Chiang Mai in and out of the classroom. They took us on a lot of field trips to different temples and art museums. TEAN also took us to the Golden Triangle as a school trip where we visited tea plantations and opium museums. They also took us to Krabi on our Spring Break where we got to go snorkeling and have dinner on the beach. Through TEAN I was able to make a lot of friends and have many once in a lifetime experiences which I could not imagine getting in any other program. I hope to go back someday to create more lasting memories!

Life Changing

This past summer I went to Chiang Mai, Thailand with The Education Abroad Network as one of their summer interns. They connected me with the organization Arts Relief International. I was one of their teaching artists as well as an office assistant. Getting to work abroad was one of the most amazing, challenging, and life changing experiences I have ever had. The TEAN staff did a great job facilitating the internship and connecting me with the group that was the best fit for me. The internship taught me a lot about myself, what I value in a working environment and as a human being. I got to work with a diverse group of people both in the Arts Relief International office and during our arts based workshops. One of my favorite moments from this summer is that I got to lead a physical theater workshop with the Healing Family Foundation, which is a group of mentally disabled adults. We did exercises related to movement and decorated animal masks and moved as our animals that we created. It was so much fun and I was thrilled to do something relevant to my future career. I will be forever grateful I had this opportunity and I won't soon forget it!

It really cannot.

Feeding a giraffe!

Travels in Thailand

Studying abroad in Thailand was one of the best decisions I've ever made! I went to Chiang Mai for three weeks over the summer with TEAN and wish I could have stayed longer! I had such a blast and was able to because of TEAN. I was helped every step of the way with this program from applying to packing and heading across the world. I traveled alone to the destination but quickly made through friends because of my TEAN group. Everyone was so kind and always happy to go out and do things together. I became really close with my group and look forward to keeping in touch with these fellow American students in the future! Chiang Mai was the perfect destination for me. It provides a fun and lively city along with plenty of outdoor adventure. My favorite experience was getting to spend time with elephants at a sanctuary near Chiang Mai. After experiencing these wonderful three weeks I feel more confident in my own abilities and skills and also much more informed of Thai culture and art thanks to the Art History class I took. Tips that I would give to future study abroad applicants, no matter the destination, is to fully embrace where you are and don't be afraid to put yourself out there. I was nervous to be so far from home but quickly adapted when I remembered just how lucky I was to be there and how comfortable I felt thanks to the support of TEAN.

It doesn't need to be improved!

I Give a BIG Thanks to Thailand for Changing My Life

I get jittery just thinking about my experience with TEAN in Thailand and would give ANYTHING to go back. If you want cultural immersion, life long friends or to become a better person, TEAN Thailand should be at the top of your list. My favorite thing to hear from my friends back home when we talk about my semester is "Wow, you did abroad right." Everyday is better than the next during this study abroad program and I learned more about myself and the country than I knew existed. I loved the community feel Chiang Mai had. The city is filled with kindness and culture. If you want "something different" and don't know what that even means, you'll find exactly what it is in Thailand.
Because I studied abroad in Thailand I:
- care more about the world and pay attention to what is going on
- am open-minded
- experienced cultural immersion
- made my best friends
- matured as a whole
- have more to talk about with job recruiters
- want to live in another country
- smile (or cry) when I look back on photos
Because I studied abroad in Thailand, I wish I was you looking at abroad reviews because I want to do it all again the same exact way.

It really can't.

I've Had the Time of My Life and I Owe it All to You, Chiang Mai

After a lot of careful research, I chose to study abroad in Chiang Mai with The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) because they were quick and informative in responding to my questions. I was so glad I did. TEAN coordinators stayed in contact with me throughout my stay in the second largest city in Thailand, providing tips about where to travel to and how to make the most of my time in Southeast Asia. Through TEAN, I had the opportunity to volunteer in a Thai elementary school with adorable little kids. I also took classes at Chiang Mai University, where I got to learn about Southeast Asian politics and religion from a mix of Thai and American professors. We took numerous field trips, including a four-day homestay in a rural Thai village and an exploration of the refugee crisis on the Thai-Burmese border. Analyzing the foreign influences, politics and cultural values of Thailand and other Southeast Asian nations helped me critically examine my own country. Throw in some amazing tropical fruits and a visit to an elephant sanctuary, and I would say TEAN is the best Thailand experience out there.

Best. Semester. Ever.

Studying abroad in Chiang Mai was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. Honestly, it was scary at first because all of my friends were studying abroad in Europe or Australia, and I had chosen a location a bit more unconventional. As soon as I arrived, I wasn't nearly as nervous anymore after meeting the staff and the other students. The TEAN orientation is a great introduction to the country. You're given advice, given tons of new food to try, and introduced to your roommate! I have completely fallen in love with Thailand and South East Asia in general. Every time I think about my time in Chiang Mai I miss it so much! So I love looking at old Thailand photos or texting the friends I made to remind myself of the most amazing five months of my life. I also traveled to Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, and Laos, while in Asia. This traveling gave me so much confidence in my skills to navigate, communicate, and to be a bad-ass traveler. If you go on this program you will not regret it, I PROMISE!

Living in the student apartments is strictly single gender, this sometimes made it difficult to hang out with all the students as nobody of the opposite gender could go in the buildings.

Best time of my life!

My study abroad experience with TEAN in Thailand was unlike anything I could have ever imagined! I woke up every day feeling as though I was still dreaming. I couldn't believe that a place like Thailand even exists! The people are happy and friendly, the food is to die for, the educational experience that TEAN provided was conducive to student learning while also emphasizing the importance of out of the classroom excursions, and the setting of Chiang Mai is perfect for adventurers and city lovers alike! Because of this experience, I now know so much more about myself and the world around me. I know I will be visiting this wonderful city again soon!

Studying abroad in Thailand was by far one of the greatest semesters of my life. Through my classes and traveling I was able to learn so much about the Thai culture and about myself. One story in particular that is my favorite was our trip to a waterfall in Mae Sot. I just remember climbing up this beautiful waterfall with my classmates some American and others were Cambodian, Vietnamese, and Philipino along with our Thai and American teachers. We all were laughing and getting soaked by the waterfall but didn't care because we were having so much fun. No matter the differences in our cultures and home countries we were all together in this moment just enjoying the beauty of life. I am so thankful for the TEAN program for giving me the opportunity to experience such a beautiful moment and many others like it.

Land of Smiles

Going to Thailand for my study abroad was the best decision I ever made. And on top of that, choosing TEAN as my program made my experience that much better. After about a month of getting comfortable in Chiang Mai, TEAN took us on an excursion to the southern islands of Thailand. It was an all-inclusive trip that included the airfare, lodging, food, and activities we did there. They lodged us in the most amazing resort I have ever stayed in, overlooking Railey Beach in Krabi. Every morning, we got to look over the water while eating a deluxe breakfast. For one day, we went island hopping to many different islands and we were able to go snorkeling through huge schools of fish. That was the most incredible thing, being surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of colorful little fish. Because of TEAN, I was able to experience a whole different side of Thailand that I wouldn't have been able to experience in Chiang Mai.

It's hard to say what would be improved, since I found absolutely no flaws in the program. I guess I could say that I wish we had more excursions to different areas of Thailand-- but having classes hindered that ability.

Can't Wait to Go Back

Before this summer, I didn't think that I would be able to study abroad due to an extremely heavy class schedule. However, researching differet programs, I was able to find that TEAN's Public Health in Southeast Asia course corresponded to both my schedule and interests. TEAN was extremely helpful with all sorts of pre-trip planning (e.g. flights, Visas, and credit transfer). Once we arrived in Thailand, we were greeted by three TEAN representatives, who lived in Chiang Mai. All logistical items were handled before we even got there, so our transition was very smooth. The TEAN orientation took us all around the city and taught us key phrases and mannerisms to help integrate into the culture. Our housing was spectacular, probably better than at my home university. We lived at Uniloft, which is a hybrid dorm/apartment student-living complex that is only a 5 minute walk from the university's back gate. The complex has a great location and awesome amenities; there's 2 swimming pools, study rooms, multiple ATMs, gym, laundry service, and a 7-11. There's so many bars, restaurants, and cafes nearby (even a cat cafe!). I was really happy with how the program encouraged us to get a more authentic experience. By rooming with Thai students, we were able to learn about their favorite places to eat, local nightlife, resources on campus, how to stay polite in social interactions, and fun places to hangout. I had a great time touring the country with my roommate and was honored when he took me to his hometown to meet his family. The program really shows you the breadth of Thai society and culture. In class, we studied topics ranging from history to Buddhism, which were able to apply by visiting local temples, landmarks, and NGOs. By far, my favorite part was the Thai village home-stay. By living in a village for several days, we saw a totally different side of Thailand, the hardworking life of the rural populations.

Happiest 5 Months of My Life

I am so happy I chose to step out of my comfort zone and study abroad in Thailand with TEAN. The day I started my application the TEAN staff got a notification and a staff member called me right away to see if I had any questions. From then on they were so helpful answering all of my phone calls and emails and made me feel prepared for my 5 months abroad. TEAN makes sure that students get a genuine feel for the culture of Thailand, so that includes living with a Thai roommate and doing a village home-stay for a week. Living in the village was one of the highlights of my time abroad. The Thai people made us all feel so welcome and although the language barrier was tough it was amazing how we could communicate in other ways and learn about each other. Living with a Thai roomie was also really cool, they would show us the good places to get Thai food and they organized activities for us to do every month. TEAN sets up a dinner every month to check in on the students and see how we're adjusting, as well as monthly excursions and a weekend trip to Krabi which was another highlight of my time abroad. My 5 months in Southeast Asia were the happiest months of my life, I made lifelong friends with other TEAN students and have memories that I will truly cherish forever.

Seriously do it!! One of the best decisions Ive made!

The reasons for studying abroad with TEAN in Chiang Mai are so abundant. For me it was the perfect balance of academics, social life, volunteering, travel, culture and downtime. My classes were all relative to Thailand, and Southeast Asia and it was fascinating to learn about the region while living there. TEANs excursions were all incredible, the trip to Krabi (southern part of Thailand) was a definite highlight, as well as the monthly dinners and cooking class at the end of the semester. The TEAN staff were all incredible and such a pleasure to work with. If you choose to study abroad I have no doubt that it will be a highlight in your life and you will be so happy you chose to take a leap and do it! I know I am! :)

The Mother of All Education Abroad Experiences

The five months I spent living in Thailand were the most amazing, action packed months of my life! I wouldn't trade it for the world. From helping me get my visa to booking me a hotel for a lengthy layover The Education Abroad staff had my back before I even touched down in Chiang Mai. We were given all (if not more) of the immersion usually only found in direct exchange programs on top of included excursions and on site directors who were always there when we needed them-- but had absolute independence when we didn't. I got to experience the awe inspiring Yi Peng lantern festival, feed Asian elephants, and explore Thailand's captivating southern islands. But if someone was to ask me what was hands down my favorite part of this experience-- I would have to say my roommate. TEAN matches each of their students with a local roommate which really shaped my time abroad. She honestly became my sister, my best friend. She and her family were always having me over to their home and would frequently take me out to dinner or to festivals. She introduced me to her friends and helped me experience the real Chaing Mai. One of my favorite memories was driving up to the top of Mt. Doi Suthep with her and standing there mouth agape as we looked over the whole city, lit up like stars that night. Integrating into the Thai community can be difficult, but The Education Abroad Network made it easy; I made Thai friends that I know I will have for life.

About The Education Abroad Network

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is a full-service international education provider specializing in immersive study and internship programs throughout Asia Pacific. Creating close partnerships the best universities in Australia, New Zealand and...