The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): Study Abroad in Chiang Mai, Thailand

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN): Study Abroad in Chiang Mai, Thailand

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship 2018
The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. The scholarship can be used for any Summer or Fall 2018 TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees, orientation and housing (up to $26,000 value).

TEAN provides an unbeatable study abroad experience in Thailand's cultural capital of Chiang Mai. Along with taking courses in Southeast Asia studies, students can dive deep into Thai culture thanks to Chiang Mai's affordable cost of living, hundreds of Buddhist temples, vibrant markets, emphasis on art and architecture, and welcoming people.

Your semester and summer studying in Thailand includes a TEAN orientation program, cultural excursions, academic field trips, plus special opportunities to volunteer around the city. TEAN students also benefit from the guidance and support of on-site Resident Director and academic staff throughout their stay.

Visit the TEAN website to learn more and apply online!

Asia » Thailand » Chiang Mai

Melissa
Hamilton, Ohio
Miami University- Hamilton

Adventures in Thailand

Choosing The Education Abroad Network was one of the best decisions I ever made. With TEAN I never felt lost during the application process because they helped me every step of the way. From organizing my visa, flight plans, school credit transfers, and even packing advice they were just a quick email or phone call away. Through TEAN I also got to experience a homestay where I lived with a Thai family and truly immersed myself in Thai culture. We also had Thai buddies throughout the semester that took us around Chiang Mai and taught us about their traditions. There is never a dull moment in Chiang Mai since there is so much to explore! What I loved the most about Chiang Mai was that it had both scenic and cultural beauty. On the weekends, you can travel or hang out in the city and visit various museums, temples, markets, local restaurants, and hiking and outdoor activities. Our first few days in Thailand were spent at the Elephant Nature Park and the beautiful temple Wat Phra That Doi Suthep. Everyone in the program was so friendly and welcoming. The professors at Chiang Mai University were also very involved in making sure we got the most out of our time in Chiang Mai in and out of the classroom. They took us on a lot of field trips to different temples and art museums. TEAN also took us to the Golden Triangle as a school trip where we visited tea plantations and opium museums. They also took us to Krabi on our Spring Break where we got to go snorkeling and have dinner on the beach. Through TEAN I was able to make a lot of friends and have many once in a lifetime experiences which I could not imagine getting in any other program. I hope to go back someday to create more lasting memories!

Nora
Cleveland, Oh
Baldwin-Wallace College

Life Changing

This past summer I went to Chiang Mai, Thailand with The Education Abroad Network as one of their summer interns. They connected me with the organization Arts Relief International. I was one of their teaching artists as well as an office assistant. Getting to work abroad was one of the most amazing, challenging, and life changing experiences I have ever had. The TEAN staff did a great job facilitating the internship and connecting me with the group that was the best fit for me. The internship taught me a lot about myself, what I value in a working environment and as a human being. I got to work with a diverse group of people both in the Arts Relief International office and during our arts based workshops. One of my favorite moments from this summer is that I got to lead a physical theater workshop with the Healing Family Foundation, which is a group of mentally disabled adults. We did exercises related to movement and decorated animal masks and moved as our animals that we created. It was so much fun and I was thrilled to do something relevant to my future career. I will be forever grateful I had this opportunity and I won't soon forget it!

It really cannot.

Feeding a giraffe!
Maddie
California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo

Travels in Thailand

Studying abroad in Thailand was one of the best decisions I've ever made! I went to Chiang Mai for three weeks over the summer with TEAN and wish I could have stayed longer! I had such a blast and was able to because of TEAN. I was helped every step of the way with this program from applying to packing and heading across the world. I traveled alone to the destination but quickly made through friends because of my TEAN group. Everyone was so kind and always happy to go out and do things together. I became really close with my group and look forward to keeping in touch with these fellow American students in the future! Chiang Mai was the perfect destination for me. It provides a fun and lively city along with plenty of outdoor adventure. My favorite experience was getting to spend time with elephants at a sanctuary near Chiang Mai. After experiencing these wonderful three weeks I feel more confident in my own abilities and skills and also much more informed of Thai culture and art thanks to the Art History class I took. Tips that I would give to future study abroad applicants, no matter the destination, is to fully embrace where you are and don't be afraid to put yourself out there. I was nervous to be so far from home but quickly adapted when I remembered just how lucky I was to be there and how comfortable I felt thanks to the support of TEAN.

It doesn't need to be improved!

Olivia

I Give a BIG Thanks to Thailand for Changing My Life

I get jittery just thinking about my experience with TEAN in Thailand and would give ANYTHING to go back. If you want cultural immersion, life long friends or to become a better person, TEAN Thailand should be at the top of your list. My favorite thing to hear from my friends back home when we talk about my semester is "Wow, you did abroad right." Everyday is better than the next during this study abroad program and I learned more about myself and the country than I knew existed. I loved the community feel Chiang Mai had. The city is filled with kindness and culture. If you want "something different" and don't know what that even means, you'll find exactly what it is in Thailand.
Because I studied abroad in Thailand I:
- care more about the world and pay attention to what is going on
- am open-minded
- experienced cultural immersion
- made my best friends
- matured as a whole
- have more to talk about with job recruiters
- want to live in another country
- smile (or cry) when I look back on photos
Because I studied abroad in Thailand, I wish I was you looking at abroad reviews because I want to do it all again the same exact way.

It really can't.

Alanna
Winston Salem, NC
Salem College

I've Had the Time of My Life and I Owe it All to You, Chiang Mai

After a lot of careful research, I chose to study abroad in Chiang Mai with The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) because they were quick and informative in responding to my questions. I was so glad I did. TEAN coordinators stayed in contact with me throughout my stay in the second largest city in Thailand, providing tips about where to travel to and how to make the most of my time in Southeast Asia. Through TEAN, I had the opportunity to volunteer in a Thai elementary school with adorable little kids. I also took classes at Chiang Mai University, where I got to learn about Southeast Asian politics and religion from a mix of Thai and American professors. We took numerous field trips, including a four-day homestay in a rural Thai village and an exploration of the refugee crisis on the Thai-Burmese border. Analyzing the foreign influences, politics and cultural values of Thailand and other Southeast Asian nations helped me critically examine my own country. Throw in some amazing tropical fruits and a visit to an elephant sanctuary, and I would say TEAN is the best Thailand experience out there.

Megan

Best. Semester. Ever.

Studying abroad in Chiang Mai was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life. Honestly, it was scary at first because all of my friends were studying abroad in Europe or Australia, and I had chosen a location a bit more unconventional. As soon as I arrived, I wasn't nearly as nervous anymore after meeting the staff and the other students. The TEAN orientation is a great introduction to the country. You're given advice, given tons of new food to try, and introduced to your roommate! I have completely fallen in love with Thailand and South East Asia in general. Every time I think about my time in Chiang Mai I miss it so much! So I love looking at old Thailand photos or texting the friends I made to remind myself of the most amazing five months of my life. I also traveled to Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, and Laos, while in Asia. This traveling gave me so much confidence in my skills to navigate, communicate, and to be a bad-ass traveler. If you go on this program you will not regret it, I PROMISE!

Living in the student apartments is strictly single gender, this sometimes made it difficult to hang out with all the students as nobody of the opposite gender could go in the buildings.

Monea
Bellingham
Western Washington University

Best time of my life!

My study abroad experience with TEAN in Thailand was unlike anything I could have ever imagined! I woke up every day feeling as though I was still dreaming. I couldn't believe that a place like Thailand even exists! The people are happy and friendly, the food is to die for, the educational experience that TEAN provided was conducive to student learning while also emphasizing the importance of out of the classroom excursions, and the setting of Chiang Mai is perfect for adventurers and city lovers alike! Because of this experience, I now know so much more about myself and the world around me. I know I will be visiting this wonderful city again soon!

Libby
cincinnati
Xavier University of Ohio

BEST SEMESTER OF MY LIFE

Studying abroad in Thailand was by far one of the greatest semesters of my life. Through my classes and traveling I was able to learn so much about the Thai culture and about myself. One story in particular that is my favorite was our trip to a waterfall in Mae Sot. I just remember climbing up this beautiful waterfall with my classmates some American and others were Cambodian, Vietnamese, and Philipino along with our Thai and American teachers. We all were laughing and getting soaked by the waterfall but didn't care because we were having so much fun. No matter the differences in our cultures and home countries we were all together in this moment just enjoying the beauty of life. I am so thankful for the TEAN program for giving me the opportunity to experience such a beautiful moment and many others like it.

None

Wendy
East Lansing, Michigan
Michigan State University

Land of Smiles

Going to Thailand for my study abroad was the best decision I ever made. And on top of that, choosing TEAN as my program made my experience that much better. After about a month of getting comfortable in Chiang Mai, TEAN took us on an excursion to the southern islands of Thailand. It was an all-inclusive trip that included the airfare, lodging, food, and activities we did there. They lodged us in the most amazing resort I have ever stayed in, overlooking Railey Beach in Krabi. Every morning, we got to look over the water while eating a deluxe breakfast. For one day, we went island hopping to many different islands and we were able to go snorkeling through huge schools of fish. That was the most incredible thing, being surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of colorful little fish. Because of TEAN, I was able to experience a whole different side of Thailand that I wouldn't have been able to experience in Chiang Mai.

It's hard to say what would be improved, since I found absolutely no flaws in the program. I guess I could say that I wish we had more excursions to different areas of Thailand-- but having classes hindered that ability.

Ronit
Gainesville,Florida
University of Florida

Can't Wait to Go Back

Before this summer, I didn't think that I would be able to study abroad due to an extremely heavy class schedule. However, researching differet programs, I was able to find that TEAN's Public Health in Southeast Asia course corresponded to both my schedule and interests. TEAN was extremely helpful with all sorts of pre-trip planning (e.g. flights, Visas, and credit transfer). Once we arrived in Thailand, we were greeted by three TEAN representatives, who lived in Chiang Mai. All logistical items were handled before we even got there, so our transition was very smooth. The TEAN orientation took us all around the city and taught us key phrases and mannerisms to help integrate into the culture. Our housing was spectacular, probably better than at my home university. We lived at Uniloft, which is a hybrid dorm/apartment student-living complex that is only a 5 minute walk from the university's back gate. The complex has a great location and awesome amenities; there's 2 swimming pools, study rooms, multiple ATMs, gym, laundry service, and a 7-11. There's so many bars, restaurants, and cafes nearby (even a cat cafe!). I was really happy with how the program encouraged us to get a more authentic experience. By rooming with Thai students, we were able to learn about their favorite places to eat, local nightlife, resources on campus, how to stay polite in social interactions, and fun places to hangout. I had a great time touring the country with my roommate and was honored when he took me to his hometown to meet his family. The program really shows you the breadth of Thai society and culture. In class, we studied topics ranging from history to Buddhism, which were able to apply by visiting local temples, landmarks, and NGOs. By far, my favorite part was the Thai village home-stay. By living in a village for several days, we saw a totally different side of Thailand, the hardworking life of the rural populations.

Sophie
Boston, MA
Emmanuel College

Happiest 5 Months of My Life

I am so happy I chose to step out of my comfort zone and study abroad in Thailand with TEAN. The day I started my application the TEAN staff got a notification and a staff member called me right away to see if I had any questions. From then on they were so helpful answering all of my phone calls and emails and made me feel prepared for my 5 months abroad. TEAN makes sure that students get a genuine feel for the culture of Thailand, so that includes living with a Thai roommate and doing a village home-stay for a week. Living in the village was one of the highlights of my time abroad. The Thai people made us all feel so welcome and although the language barrier was tough it was amazing how we could communicate in other ways and learn about each other. Living with a Thai roomie was also really cool, they would show us the good places to get Thai food and they organized activities for us to do every month. TEAN sets up a dinner every month to check in on the students and see how we're adjusting, as well as monthly excursions and a weekend trip to Krabi which was another highlight of my time abroad. My 5 months in Southeast Asia were the happiest months of my life, I made lifelong friends with other TEAN students and have memories that I will truly cherish forever.

Brittany
Charleston, SC
College of Charleston

Seriously do it!! One of the best decisions Ive made!

The reasons for studying abroad with TEAN in Chiang Mai are so abundant. For me it was the perfect balance of academics, social life, volunteering, travel, culture and downtime. My classes were all relative to Thailand, and Southeast Asia and it was fascinating to learn about the region while living there. TEANs excursions were all incredible, the trip to Krabi (southern part of Thailand) was a definite highlight, as well as the monthly dinners and cooking class at the end of the semester. The TEAN staff were all incredible and such a pleasure to work with. If you choose to study abroad I have no doubt that it will be a highlight in your life and you will be so happy you chose to take a leap and do it! I know I am! :)

N/A

Lizzy
Louisville, KY
University of Kentucky

The Mother of All Education Abroad Experiences

The five months I spent living in Thailand were the most amazing, action packed months of my life! I wouldn't trade it for the world. From helping me get my visa to booking me a hotel for a lengthy layover The Education Abroad staff had my back before I even touched down in Chiang Mai. We were given all (if not more) of the immersion usually only found in direct exchange programs on top of included excursions and on site directors who were always there when we needed them-- but had absolute independence when we didn't. I got to experience the awe inspiring Yi Peng lantern festival, feed Asian elephants, and explore Thailand's captivating southern islands. But if someone was to ask me what was hands down my favorite part of this experience-- I would have to say my roommate. TEAN matches each of their students with a local roommate which really shaped my time abroad. She honestly became my sister, my best friend. She and her family were always having me over to their home and would frequently take me out to dinner or to festivals. She introduced me to her friends and helped me experience the real Chaing Mai. One of my favorite memories was driving up to the top of Mt. Doi Suthep with her and standing there mouth agape as we looked over the whole city, lit up like stars that night. Integrating into the Thai community can be difficult, but The Education Abroad Network made it easy; I made Thai friends that I know I will have for life.

Jack
Fort Collins, Colorado
Colorado State University

Semester That Will Define The Rest Of My Life

With the country being 95% Buddhist I never felt unsafe once while in Chiang Mai. TEAN offers support when needed and guides you on prepaid adventures but also lets you explore on your own as much as you'd like!

Honestly, TEAN hooked it up and I can not think of one thing that I was unsatisfied about. Although the head academic admin can be a bit cold shouldered, he is not exactly a part of TEAN so its not their wrong doing.

Vanda
Lexington, Kentucky
University of Kentucky

A Memorable Experience

I am a heritage student from Kentucky and signed up to study summer school through TEAN at Chiang Mai University. I was enrolled into three classes total: Thai Language, Cultural Foundations of Thai Society, and Thai Dance. For school, we had to wear a uniform that consists of white tops, black skirts (long pants for boys), and a belt.

The staff of TEAN and the professors who taught my classes were all so nice and helpful, also extremely enthusiastic with their jobs and actively wanted me and my peers to enjoy our time in Chiang Mai. We were put in a dorm called Uniloft with a Thai roommate--which made the program even better. The dorms were really nice, clean, and had air conditioning (oh and a swimming pool and a 7-11!). All of the Thai roommates were awesome and helped ease us into Thai culture by teaching us things that you can't get in a classroom.

TEAN did a good job at making sure we were always comfortable and adapting well into our new environment, and provided us with various excursions (as well as academic field trips, which were also great).

Chiang Mai is a beautiful and generally safe city, filled with locals as well as foreigners since it is a cultural city with a big tourist business. Since this is a summer program, expect to run into plenty of people from all around the world. I made friends with Thais as well as Canadians, other Americans, Italians, etc. Also because this is a cultural city, you'll be surrounded by so much history. I fully took advantage of the fact that I was surrounded by museums, historical monuments, and hundreds of temples--as well as the old walls of the ancient city itself.

This program helped me to see my own country from a different point of view and realise how special and unique it is. If I could study abroad in Chiang Mai again I most definitely would. :)

Heather
St. Peter, Minnesota
Gustavus Adolphus College

Fall in Love with Chiang Mai

During my time in Chiang Mai, I had so many experiences I will never forget. The city and its people were absolutely beautiful, and TEAN's program allowed me to experience the beauty of Thailand in an incredibly authentic way. From the minute I saw the city, I knew I was in the midst of an amazing adventure. It was love at first sight!
The orientation and the excursions were exceptional! I made amazing friends along the way too! TEAN helped facilitate our experience in the city with a great balance. TEAN and the staff were available to help us, but never suffocated our own ability to have an amazing adventure. The staff was there with great advice on places to go and things to do. Overall, I can say only awesome things about my experiences with TEAN in Chiang Mai.

This program is only a semester. After a little more than four months there, I didn't want to leave.

Carolyn
Washington, DC
George Washington University

The Best Decision I Have Ever Made

Going abroad with TEAN was the best 5 months of my life. Every aspect of my program helped me learn more about Thai culture. In classes, we learned about things that would make daily life easier and helped us understand more what was happening around us. Our teachers were friendly, helpful, and encouraging. Excursions with TEAN were unreal. From the gorgeous islands of Thailand to the historically rich north, we were able to see so much of this magnificent country. On our excursion to Bangkok, our teacher set up meetings with the former prime minister and current head of the Thai senate, opportunities that most Thai students never even have. Housing accommodations could not have been more perfect. At Uniloft I had everything I needed and felt safe and comfortable. My Thai roommate became one of my closest friends and showed and taught me things about Chiang Mai I would have never known otherwise. TEAN also helped me land my volunteer placements teaching English to local students and Burmese refugees. This was another way in which I was able to engage with Thai culture and get to know a different population of Chiang Mai residents.
Everyday since I left Thailand, I ache to be back there. TEAN gave me the best introduction and integration into this culture, and I can't wait to not only return to Thailand, but to explore the rest of the world. TEAN helped make me a more globally conscious person, and gave me the confidence to explore our world.

Nothing! Honestly! Everything I was weary about TEAN fixed for me in my duration of the stay. And everything else we though of afterwards, they have fixed for next year. TEAN puts students first!

Chrissy
Atlanta, Georgia
Georgia State University

If Only I Could Relive It

My study abroad trip was by far the best experience I have ever had. I had previously never been outside the country before so I was terrified, but it was worth it a million times over. The Education Abroad Network really built a perfect program. You live with a Thai roommate, instead of just your home group like most programs, which facilitates the learning of Thai culture exponentially. Plus, it allows for you to get a real experience of Thailand, rather than the touristy side of Thailand. Further, the program allows for a lot of freedom. I had class everyday for 3 hours a day but once class was over, I was able to go where I wanted and do what I wanted. They even gave students a one week break where we were seriously able to do what we pleased. For example, I took that time to relax at the beaches of Krabi (south Thailand), another student on the program took that time to go to Bangkok, and another student took that time to go to Laos. It was nice to have so much freedom because it allowed for us to get the most out of the program by our own means, whether that meant visiting temples, experiencing the nightlife, or living like a local. Something else that was really awesome about the program was the courses. I was hesitant about studying abroad because I felt as though taking classes while in another country would take away from the experience; however, it enhanced it. A lot of class time was spent in Thailand, rather than in a classroom. We learned by immersion, meaning that rather than trying to learn about Thailand by reading a textbook, we actually went to go see and experience it for ourselves. For example, in my Cultural Foundations of Thai Society course (I also took a Business in Southeast Asia course) we studied Buddhism for a week, and instead of just learning from powerpoints we went to go visit temples and talk to monks. I definitely don't regret choosing to take courses in Thailand, because the skills, ideas, and knowledge I gained in those courses have expanded my horizons both academically and personally.

No program is perfect of course, but there isn't one concrete thing I would change about the program. I feel like everything The Education Abroad Network could do to make sure we maximized our experience was done.

Molly
Madison, WI
University of Wisconsin- Madison

The Most Amazing Abroad Experience Ever

Studying abroad in Chiang Mai, Thailand through The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) was the best decision I have ever made. I cannot say enough good things about my experience in Chiang Mai. The program provided amazing support before the program as we prepared for our semester in Thailand and during the program, if we had questions about visas for travel outside of Thailand, if we wanted recommendations for restaurants or fun places to go out, pretty much anything we needed they were there to help. There are great excursions through TEAN, like to Krabi in the southern Thai islands, but the program is also flexible enough that you can travel on your own to other parts of Thailand or Southeast Asia. Living in Chiang Mai was unlike anything I have ever experience before: the Thai people could not be nicer, the city could not be more beautiful and vibrant, and the entire place is just bursting with color and life and delicious food and a million things to do. Living in Chiang Mai also provides such an incredible perspective on another part of the world - you will learn about Thai culture and customs, different religious beliefs, try new foods, and experience the way people live in other parts of the world. My heart belongs to Chiang Mai and always will, and I am so thankful to have studied abroad there with TEAN!

There is honestly nothing I can think of that could be improved. TEAN covers all its bases and provides a truly life-changing experience for every student on the program!

Candace
New York
Siena College

Chiang Mai Forever

Chiang Mai was just an amazing place to be. The people were beyond friendly, the food was incredible and the landscape was breathtaking. I made great Thai, American and International friends. I learned to be more open to other cultures ways of thinking and also to just go with the flow of things. Sometimes things go wrong and you just have to breathe and then laugh about it. One time I was at a restaurant during a really bad downpour and the ceiling started leaking and we had to move to a table probably meant for 2 with 6 people. We just laughed about it the whole time. you just have to roll with the punches. The food was some of the best I've every had. I love street food! Eat it! Don't be scared. I think that's the best advice I can give, don't shy away or be scared of anything. Try everything, do everything you can, talk to as many locals as you can, become friends with the Thais, speak thai, do it all!

I love the imperfections. I think every person in TEAN does whatever they can, but there are just somethings they can't control, like the Thai military throwing a coup during finals week. they are helpful and there for you in every way they can be, but you can't have someone constantly holding your hand throughout this experience. I have heard about some other programs in Europe where my friends did not get the type of help that I did. They were almost just dropped off and never heard from anyone again. Every one is TEAN was very accessible. I've had coffee or gone to dinner with several staff members just to chat.

Zoe
State College, PA
Pennsylvania State University

The Most Epic 5 Months Ever.

Studying abroad in Thailand was the best experience I could have ever dreamed of. We lived in Chiang Mai, which is the second biggest city in Thailand, nestled in the northern hills. The city has everything you'd want- the true traditional Thai culture of monks walking on the streets collecting alms at 6 am, food stalls lining the roads, temples interspersed with restaurants and stores, markets everywhere but also a lively social scene with backpackers and westerners alike. The food is amazing and ridiculously cheap (an average meal is $1-$5, 5 being on the very expensive side when you want to splurge on western food). The city is surrounded by a beautiful countryside where you can easily escape the bustling madness to waterfalls and rice fields. There's no denying this is "the land of smiles." The local people are some of the sweetest, generous and all around happy people I have ever met. TEAN provided us with housing at Uniloft, which is an apartment/dorm style complex about a mile from the University. It's very nice place to live, equipped with a gym, a pool, laundry services, cleaning services and round the clock security. Within TEAN's program, we also got paired with a Thai roommate (which was one of my favorite parts of my experience). Living with a Thai roommate helped immerse us in the culture even more. We adopted their traditions (taking shoes off before entering rooms, gift giving) and also got to share some of our culture with them. Though we learned Thai in school and tried to practice as much as possible with the locals, having Thai friends to help get us out of situations where our Thai failed us was awesome (for example, we needed to call a bus company to get tickets to Bangkok and one of our Thai friends planned the entire trip for us and got us a better deal!). TEAN also provided us with awesome excursions. We spent a week in a rural village with host families and got to experience first hand how a culture, so vastly different from western society, lives. We also spent the weekend in the beautiful southern island of Krabi. TEAN hooked us up with rock climbing and a boat tour of all the surrounding islands. One of my major concerns was not being able to travel around Southeast Asia enough. I knew that my friends going to Europe would visit a plethora of other countries but I didn't know how easy it would be to travel around. I ended up going to Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia as well as traveling all throughout Thailand. It is definitely a bit of a struggle but so worth it. Not only is Thailand a beautiful country, Southeast Asia as a whole has so much to offer.

Misayo
Clemson, SC- originally San Jose, CA
Clemson University

Looking for Adventure?

Chiang Mai is the cultural capital of Thailand, which makes it an incredible place to study abroad. When I was looking to go abroad for a second time I wanted something a little different and the program created by the Education Abroad Network exceeded my expectations. I loved living with a local student and really enjoyed working with the faculty and resident directors. The city is great because it provides a mix of nature and urban comforts. Chiang Mai is a stunningly beautiful place to live and has so many opportunities to explore. The orientation week allowed us to see the city from a unique prospective- from playing with elephants, meeting with NGOs, getting Thai massages to finding the best local restaurants and learning a little bit of essential Thai. Taking the local language while abroad is a huge asset, making it easier to get around the city and feel comfortable being independent. The village homestay was a great taste and immersion into local, traditional culture. The courses were inspiring and relevant. Learning about Southeast Asia when it's right outside the door to explore is really an incredible experience. I was abroad in the Fall and we were giving 2 full weeks of break which was ample time to travel around and experience other parts of Thailand and adjacent countries. I also had the opportunity to volunteer while I was in Chiang Mai and couldn't have enjoyed my experience more. I spent time teaching English at an elementary school and working with mentally and physically disabled artists at the Healing Family Foundation. Overall, I don't think I could have picked a better study abroad program for me!

I wish there was a wider variety of classes offered. Although I loved the classes I took abroad, most of my credits came back in the department of Political Science, which will go toward my minor, but I was hoping for some more applicable to my major.

Emily
College Park, Maryland
University of Maryland

Best experience with TEAN!

I studied abroad in Chiang Mai, Thailand with TEAN this past spring 2013 semester and had an incredible time. The classes were enriching, the TEAN led trips were awesome, and the staff was very responsive. I loved living in Chiang Mai, Thailand with a Thai roommate. Thailand is a very special country and TEAN did a great job administering the semester.

The rigor of the academics. We are studying abroad and want a little more leeway to travel and see the country outside the classroom.

lachoy
University of San Francisco

Enlightening Summer Experience

I completed the Thai Dance class offered during the semester. The class, which was 3 hours/day for 3 weeks, involved learning dances representative of different regions of Thailand with the class culminating in one final performance (in full makeup and costumes!). It was a fantastic learning experience and a great way to travel, immerse myself in another country/culture, + complete my visual/performing arts requirement for my college. I stayed in the Uniloft Dorms near Chiang Mai University which were modern and in close proximity to everything (food carts, stores, the university, etc.) I loved Chiang Mai so much, I wish I could have stayed longer! Additionally,TEAN always provided excellent support/communication as well. I would highly recommend the program!

I would have preferred that the Thai dance class had more field trips (we had 1). In contrast, the Thai culture class, which took place during the same session as the dance class, frequently went on field trips to get the full cultural learning experience.

Brynne
Charleston, South Carolina

The Best Decision I've Ever Made

Seriously, the headline says it all. When people ask me how my study abroad experience in Thailand was, I reply, "Life changing." It seems simple, but it goes so much deeper than that. The sole purpose of my reason for studying abroad was to experience an entirely different culture, and through the TEAN Thailand program, I was able to do that to the utmost degree. TEAN provides countless opportunities for their students to immerse themselves in local culture. Some of them being: having a local Thai person on staff to help you out when you need it and to give you tips on navigating the city, being paired with a Thai roommate who attends the same university, and providing an opportunity to spend 4 days with a host family in a Northern Thai village at the start of the program. The TEAN Thailand program opened up my eyes, heart, and mind to an entirely foreign part of the world and sparked a serious interest in international affairs as well as international education. This program helped turn my dreams into reality and has thus inspired me to do the same for future participants of the program. I would recommend it to anyone.

The only thing I would change would be the course offerings. TEAN offers some really cool and unique classes for its Summer program (i.e. Thai Dance, Thai culture, etc.) but those courses are not offered in the semester programs. The courses are primarily Political Science based, but you don't have to be a Political Science major to gain something from the classes. I had never taken a Poli Sci class in my life until I went to Thailand, and it turns out that I learned a significant amount of information from my classes that really helped me to understand the nature of the way things operate in South East Asia. So I guess you could say that I found a positive way to view my "negative" aspect of the program. I do believe that they are working to add in some more classes that will help diversify the curriculum, though.

Chaunda
Pittsburgh, PA
University of Pittsburgh

Life is an Adventure

I really enjoyed my program through Education Abroad Network. The program advisors really made sure that we were comfortable in our new environment and experienced many benefits from this city. We took excursions to visit Buddhist temples, participate in a home stay in Hill tribes in Northern Thailand where we farmed with the people, helped the children practice their English and learn about the different struggles that the minority Thais have. We even met Burmese political prisoners in Mae Sot (border of Thailand and Burma), went to a refugee camp and met other Non-governmental organization. This program really cares about its students and they want you to immerse yourself in the culture and learn new things about the country and its traditions. Payap University was a great school and we even received the privilege to live with Thai students to we shared our language, culture and beliefs with our roommates. The price is worth the experience! Thailand was a place I would definitely travel to again.

I would like for the program to include books and the cost for the uniform in the tuition of the school. The prices for these items were not expensive, but it was extra money that I didn't account for within my budget for my stay.

kbbaker
Charleston, South Carolina

Eyes Opened, Never to be Shut Again

When asked why I chose to study abroad, I would initially respond with a rather generic answer such as, “to broaden my horizons”, or “to see another part of the world”. Little did I know that I would in fact grow in so many ways. Through my semester in Thailand with TEAN, I was able to fully immerse myself in, what I have come to regard as one of the most breathtaking and heartbreaking parts of the world. I was humbled by an explosion of life and different customs that previously I had never dreamed of witnessing. I was able to learn more about myself, while growing in knowledge throughout my experience.
TEAN provided ample opportunities for us to immerse ourselves in the culture and truly make the most out of our experience. From the time we arrived in Bangkok for our orientation to when we finally departed, TEAN staff were supporting us throughout our adventure, ensuring a smooth transition into the culture. Not only did the in-country staff provide weekly coffee visits and monthly dinners as a way to check in, they supplied us with excursion options and opportunities to volunteer at local organizations. I am forever grateful for my experience with TEAN.
Not only has my passion for traveling greatly deepened, but my semester abroad has opened my eyes to another side of the world that I will never be able to forget.

derricom1
Batavia, IL
University of Dayton

Thai Times are Great Times!

Great times in Thailand with a huge thanks to TEAN! I just got back from my semester abroad in Chiang Mai, Thailand at Payap University through The Education Abroad Network. TEAN took care of it's students and gave all of us the chance to get the most out of our experience abroad.
I got to live in a dormitory with a local Thai roommate. Thai currency has a great exchange rate for the Dollar, and things in Thailand are already extremely cheap; which makes it an excellent place to stay in budget and get the most out of your experience. I got to make great friends not only from Thailand, but from across America as well.
Without a doubt, I recommend anyone interested to highly consider TEAN as your choice to go abroad. Make sure you go to their webpage, look through all their study abroad options, contact TEAN alumni or actual TEAN directors with questions, and you will for sure start thinking The Education Abroad Network is the way to go abroad. And with that, I say thank you to The Education Abroad Network for the an amazing time that I will never forget!

The program was great. I honestly can't complain, because if it didn't happen the way it did, then it wouldn't have impacted me as much as it has.

lburz
Boston, MA
Simmons College

Amazing experience in Chiang Mai

I had a great time, particularly because I got to connect with local Thai students on a level that I think a lot of students miss out on during their study abroad programs. We went on an excursion to the border of Myanmar where I learned a lot and got to visit various NGO's and learn more about the region that I was in. I would definitely recommend this program!

kmcdonell
Ames, Iowa

South East Asia- The Experience your looking for!

When I set out to find the perfect study abroad program, I had no idea that I would end up in Chiang Mai Thailand. I found The Education Abroad Network through my Study Abroad office and fell in love with the program. Five months in the cultural capital of Thailand, a Thai-orientation in Bangkok before classes start, three week-long excursions to the villages and ancient kingdoms of Thailand, all for half the price of any program in Europe! From application to my first international flight landing in Bangkok, I was guided every step of the way by the lovely staff of the Education Abroad Network who became family to us.

Although Thailand was my first time out of the US, I am convinced it is one of the most beautiful countries in the world! The mountainous landscape, beaches, and remote villages were breathtaking. Our classes greatly enhanced our experience in such a foreign country and helped us understand the culture on a deeper level. I was anxious about taking a Thai language class, but it turned out to be one of the funest classes! We were able to communicate with locals and order our own food.

When we weren’t in class we were exploring waterfalls, temples, and markets in the “Old City” with our Thai roommates and friends from all over the world. Chiang Mai is rich in culture and the people are so beautiful and welcoming. The local Education Abroad Network staff became our Thai family that took us on trips and volunteering at orphanages and teaching English at Monk schools. Having such a supportive staff with the Education Abroad Network comforted both my parents and I. Education Abroad Network is an amazing program, weather your looking to study in Asia or like me never imagined it! Also, Spring semester is when Songkran, the Thai New Year is held. Be there!

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is a full-service international education provider specializing in immersive study and internship programs throughout Asia Pacific. Creating close partnerships the best universities in Australia, New Zealand and across Asia over the past two decades has allowed TEAN to become experts