TEAN: Study Abroad in Chiang Mai, Thailand

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. It's an annual scholarship that can be used for any TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees and orientation (up to $15,000 value).

TEAN provides an unbeatable study abroad experience in Thailand's cultural capital of Chiang Mai. Along with taking courses in Southeast Asia studies, students can dive deep into Thai culture thanks to Chiang Mai's affordable cost of living, hundreds of Buddhist temples, vibrant markets, emphasis on art and architecture, and welcoming people.

Your semester and summer studying in Thailand includes a TEAN orientation program, cultural excursions, academic field trips, plus special opportunities to volunteer around the city. TEAN students also benefit from the guidance and support of on-site Resident Director and academic staff throughout their stay.

Visit the TEAN website to learn more and apply online!

Abby

A Life-Changing Experience

I truly wish there was a more suitable word for my time abroad than a life-changing experience. Chiang Mai University classes expanded on topics rarely discussed in the United States and utilized the country around it for hands-on lessons, making going to class enjoyable and exciting. The things I learned through exploring Chiang Mai, Thailand, and Southeast Asia independently are things that can never be taught in an academic setting. Not only am I more aware of different cultures and lifestyles, but more accepting and willing to try new ideas. The people who I surrounded myself with brought out the best in me, through sharing experiences together and learning from their past experiences individually. After returning to America from Thailand, I feel there is a piece of me missing; a piece of my heart was left in the place I once called home. I am now able to reflect on so many wonderful memories of my time in Thailand and would highly recommend TEAN to any student looking to study abroad.

What was the most nerve-racking moment?
Studying abroad has always been a dream of mine. The months leading up to my departure date were exciting and optimistic; however, when it finally came time to leave America for Thailand, I was beyond nervous. Living in a country I had never been to, halfway across the world, knowing no one, was such an intimidating concept. I quickly realized that if I was going to make this experience a great one, I needed to change my attitude completely. Once arriving in Thailand, my nervous energy soon turned into excitement. Countless possibilities of my future time in Thailand raced through my mind and I was eager to try any and everything I could. Studying abroad through TEAN not only enabled me to meet and form close bonds with friends from across America, but along countless countries in Southeast Asia.
Gabrielle

Same, Same. But Different!

I have always been excited to travel abroad and choosing Chiangmai, Thailand as my destination was the best choice I could have made. I was instantly thrown into a culture I was very unfamiliar with, yet was welcomed with kindness and many smiles. TEAN offered a village homestay the first week we arrived, and this instant immersion into Thai culture formed the groundwork for the values we developed throughout this experience. As an art history major, I was in awe with the many beautiful temples I was able to visit and the local handmade artifacts I saw. Monk chats at these temples allowed me to further understand this Buddhist country. TEAN offered courses that allowed us to connect what we learned in class to the culture we were living in. I took a Contemporary Art course that allowed us to visit workshops, factories and museums. A Buddhist class I was enrolled in took a trip to a Buddhist temple for a meditation retreat. I loved the smell of food cooking on the sides of streets, the sound of motorcycles passing by and the sight of monks in their orange robes walking by. Thailand is a truly mesmerizing place that I was able to call home and TEAN allowed me to experience all that I could in these few months.

Emma

Great summer!

It was a great experience! I'm so glad I went to Thailand with a study abroad program so I could learn about the country more in-depth, and this program was a great way to do it. I loved being able to stay in the dorms and take classes at the host university, because it was a similar experience to being a student in that country and it allowed us to meet peers our own age. The class was really interesting, though not too challenging (which was perfect for experiencing the city). There were some very interesting field trips as a part of the class, like different temples and a weekend at a village. And of course the food was amazing, and not too expensive (if you stuck with Thai food). The timing worked out great with my schedule so I was able to do other things over the summer as well.

Isabella

The Land of Smiles!

I would recommend TEAN's study abroad program again and again! I absolutely loved my experience with TEAN and the opportunity to live in Chiang Mai, Thailand. TEAN has a very respectable and responsible staff that are always there for the students. It was very comforting to have the TEAN staff at my side during the duration of my time abroad. I valued the unique excursions and field trips that TEAN designed to ensure each student could fully immerse in Thai culture. We had the opportunity to be partnered with Thai buddies who even took us out to eat local food and walk around town.

Studying abroad in Chiang Mai, Thailand with TEAN has easily been one of my best decisions thus far. I was able to step out of my comfort zone and experience a one in a lifetime opportunity! One of my favorite memories from this program would be the one week home-stay we did in the beginning of the semester. Despite not knowing the language, I truly developed a relationship with my family that I'll never forget. My peers and I tasted authentic Thai food, planted rice in the open fields, and attended Buddhist ceremonies with our families. I received more than I could have imagined due to this trip - life-long friendships, a love for travel, and a home away from home.

I would absolutely recommend this program!

Johanna

An Incredible Summer

I went on TEAN's summer in Chiang Mai program. It was completely amazing. Staff are so supportive, friendly and helpful. I took Buddhism and Environmental Science and both classes were great, especially the Environmental Science one. TEAN really has a personalized feel, and they plan excursions such as The Elephant Nature Park (ethical elephant sanctuary) and Doi Suthep, along with a couple more. The housing is fine, I stayed in UniLoft which is dorm style and you actually have a private bedroom separate from your roommate which is great. I loved this program so much and my only wish is that I could've done it longer.

Claudia

A Surreal Experience

I went on TEAN's Summer in Thailand program and had the time of my life. I did the 7-week option. I took Buddhism in Southeast Asia the first session and Human Rights in Southeast Asia the second, and in between I went on TEAN's Souhtern Island excursion. I wanted to go to Thailand, specifically Chiang Mai, because of its unique blend of relaxed city life and natural landscape and its heavily Buddhist-influenced culture. Taking a Buddhism class in Thailand was a dream. I still can't believe I actually got to stay the night in a Thai Forest Tradition temple and follow the monk on his morning alms through a village. This is something I never could have dreamed of experiencing, and something that an average tourist just passing through would not be able to do. This is what I think is the greatest value of studying instead of just visiting Thailand: you get integrated into the culture, and you learn quickly to adapt.
Everyone I came across in Thailand was nothing less than welcoming and kind. If you follow TEAN's rules, especially the one prohibiting the operation of a motor vehicle (the streets are crazy but the red truck/ tuk tuk/ grab drivers know what they're doing), you should be very safe. I never truly felt reason to fear for my safety in Chiang Mai.
The education was top-notch and the professors are very understanding of the fact that we are only there for a short period of time and desire time away from the actual studying part. I went to class for three hours Monday-Friday, giving ample time to visit places in the morning, afternoons, and weekends. The local TEAN staff members, Nala and Lauren, were extremely kind and always eager to help with anything.
If you're a nature lover, a culture/ religion enthusiast, or an adventure seeker, Thailand is the perfect place to study. There are beautiful nearby hiking trails, waterfalls, tons of museums and temples, active nightlife, amazing food everywhere, many types of markets, and so much more. I am incredibly happy that I did this program, it has truly been the greatest experience of my life so far. I met beautiful friends both from TEAN and local Thai students. If you have any desire to do this, do it!

Sydney

The Most Amazing Experience

There is so much to tell about my experience! But I'll keep it to the major things.
Overall, Chiang Mai and Chiang Mai University were amazing and if I had the chance to go back tomorrow, I 100% would.
The Thai people we met along the way were so helpful and kind and happy to have us around.
I took the Buddhism in Thailand course, and it was the most eye opening and informational course. I learned so much about Thai religion, and subsequently culture, tried meditation for the first time, visited numerous temples, had chats with multiple monks and nuns, and got to experience an overnight stay in a forest temple in the Li district.
I think having the opportunity to meditate in a forest temple was a truly once in a lifetime experience. I had a moment of solitude, sitting in front of this 50 foot Buddha statue, attempting a meditation, where I realized that this is probably the only time in my life I will get to do anything close to this. It was humbling and I feel lucky to have experienced it.

The experiences outside of class were amazing too, especially the elephant nature park and our trip to Krabi, Thailand. Seeing the elephants in their natural habitat was breath taking and seeing the enormous cliffs in the southern islands rising out of this beautiful bright aqua water was absolutely mesmerizing.

Overall, I cannot recommend this trip enough. If you have the chance to do it, do it.

I think adding another excursion option to visit Chiang Rai for the day would be great. I made it my plan to see the White Temple. I was the only extra activity I was adamant about doing so I told my group "Hey I'm going, one way or another, whoever wants to join me, please do." All but 2 of us ended up going and my coordinator helped me rent two vans for the day to see the White Temple. We also visited the Blue Temple and the Black House Museum and it was one the best days I had in Chiang Mai. Offering the option to go on a day tour of these three places I think would be good for future students.
Brooklyn

Thailand Stole My Heart

Before studying abroad, I knew almost nothing about Thailand. Now I feel like I am (almost) an expert! This country is amazing. From is history, to it's people, to the amazing scenery, I loved everything about this trip. I had the opportunity to participate in a village home-stay, spend a day in the Elephant Nature Park and even climb up waterfalls! I can't wait to go back someday, and hopefully bring my family along.

I have nothing negative to say about TEAN or the Summer in Thailand Program. It was an adventure of a lifetime.
Sophia

Ten Out of Ten in Thailand!

My experience with The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) was incredible. From trying new street foods on the daily, to discovering hidden garden cafes, exploring temples, shopping in different markets each night, hiking in the mountains, and finding waterfalls to swim in, the city of Chiang Mai always had something new and exciting to offer. For me, it was the perfect combination of urban and outdoor adventures. The city is surrounded by mountains that are within walking distance from the student apartments, so it is easy to get away from the city and go for a hike. It is also a foodie's paradise. I was surprised to find diverse foods from all over the world in Chiang Mai. The cost of a meal is generally 1-3 dollars, so trying new things is incredibly affordable.

I studied Southeast Asian Art, Cultural Foundations of Thai Society, and Thai language, which totaled up to 9 credits during my 7 week summer study abroad. The courses were challenging, yet engaging, and combined off-campus excursions with classroom discussions for a well-rounded learning experience.

In Thailand, I learned to go out and do things on my own. By the end of the trip, I was not only more confident in being a solo traveler, and had a new-found sense of self confidence.

The TEAN staff answered all of my questions, and helped me to fulfill all of my goals that I had for my study abroad experience. They were helpful throughout my entire study abroad experience, and continued to support my study abroad interests even after the program ended.

Overall, I highly recommend studying abroad with The Education Abroad Network!

Every aspect of the program was well planned out, and do not have any suggestions. My only regret was not picking a longer program!
Katherine

The Best Decision I've Ever Made!

TEAN has a fantastic program, and Thailand is an amazing country, so it's pretty hard to go wrong. The academics were challenging, but incredibly interesting and engaging. TEAN organized really great excursions, from day trips to a weekend at the beach, and that's one of the things that makes their program so great. Chiang Mai is an incredible city to live in, with good food and cool cafes and a fun but chill bar scene, and it's a really cool place to be a student. The travel opportunities are also abundant, and I had the opportunity to visit Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, and Malaysia throughout the semester, as well as Bangkok and the southern islands. I went camping on an island in the south, and went hiking on the tallest peak in Thailand. I am so much more adventurous and open to new things now, and I plan on returning as soon as I possibly can. The experience changed me for the better, and I had an amazing time and made amazing friends. It is so worthwhile to study abroad anywhere, but going to Asia gets you off the beaten path (study abroad-wise) and opens you up to a lot of new things that you might never experience in the same way without the immersion of going to school in a country. The village homestay throws you right in, and it's a perfect way to start the semester. Everything is so inexpensive in Chiang Mai, as well, so it's possible to do so much when your money goes as far as it does! My number one advise would be to trust your gut! If you're thinking about going to Thailand, go with TEAN, and don't be afraid even if no one you know has ever been anywhere near Asia. You have everything to gain from this experience, and it's incredible.

Melissa

Adventures in Thailand

Choosing The Education Abroad Network was one of the best decisions I ever made. With TEAN I never felt lost during the application process because they helped me every step of the way. From organizing my visa, flight plans, school credit transfers, and even packing advice they were just a quick email or phone call away. Through TEAN I also got to experience a homestay where I lived with a Thai family and truly immersed myself in Thai culture. We also had Thai buddies throughout the semester that took us around Chiang Mai and taught us about their traditions. There is never a dull moment in Chiang Mai since there is so much to explore! What I loved the most about Chiang Mai was that it had both scenic and cultural beauty. On the weekends, you can travel or hang out in the city and visit various museums, temples, markets, local restaurants, and hiking and outdoor activities. Our first few days in Thailand were spent at the Elephant Nature Park and the beautiful temple Wat Phra That Doi Suthep. Everyone in the program was so friendly and welcoming. The professors at Chiang Mai University were also very involved in making sure we got the most out of our time in Chiang Mai in and out of the classroom. They took us on a lot of field trips to different temples and art museums. TEAN also took us to the Golden Triangle as a school trip where we visited tea plantations and opium museums. They also took us to Krabi on our Spring Break where we got to go snorkeling and have dinner on the beach. Through TEAN I was able to make a lot of friends and have many once in a lifetime experiences which I could not imagine getting in any other program. I hope to go back someday to create more lasting memories!

Nora

Life Changing

This past summer I went to Chiang Mai, Thailand with The Education Abroad Network as one of their summer interns. They connected me with the organization Arts Relief International. I was one of their teaching artists as well as an office assistant. Getting to work abroad was one of the most amazing, challenging, and life changing experiences I have ever had. The TEAN staff did a great job facilitating the internship and connecting me with the group that was the best fit for me. The internship taught me a lot about myself, what I value in a working environment and as a human being. I got to work with a diverse group of people both in the Arts Relief International office and during our arts based workshops. One of my favorite moments from this summer is that I got to lead a physical theater workshop with the Healing Family Foundation, which is a group of mentally disabled adults. We did exercises related to movement and decorated animal masks and moved as our animals that we created. It was so much fun and I was thrilled to do something relevant to my future career. I will be forever grateful I had this opportunity and I won't soon forget it!

It really cannot.
Feeding a giraffe!
Maddie

Travels in Thailand

Studying abroad in Thailand was one of the best decisions I've ever made! I went to Chiang Mai for three weeks over the summer with TEAN and wish I could have stayed longer! I had such a blast and was able to because of TEAN. I was helped every step of the way with this program from applying to packing and heading across the world. I traveled alone to the destination but quickly made through friends because of my TEAN group. Everyone was so kind and always happy to go out and do things together. I became really close with my group and look forward to keeping in touch with these fellow American students in the future! Chiang Mai was the perfect destination for me. It provides a fun and lively city along with plenty of outdoor adventure. My favorite experience was getting to spend time with elephants at a sanctuary near Chiang Mai. After experiencing these wonderful three weeks I feel more confident in my own abilities and skills and also much more informed of Thai culture and art thanks to the Art History class I took. Tips that I would give to future study abroad applicants, no matter the destination, is to fully embrace where you are and don't be afraid to put yourself out there. I was nervous to be so far from home but quickly adapted when I remembered just how lucky I was to be there and how comfortable I felt thanks to the support of TEAN.

It doesn't need to be improved!
Olivia

I Give a BIG Thanks to Thailand for Changing My Life

I get jittery just thinking about my experience with TEAN in Thailand and would give ANYTHING to go back. If you want cultural immersion, life long friends or to become a better person, TEAN Thailand should be at the top of your list. My favorite thing to hear from my friends back home when we talk about my semester is "Wow, you did abroad right." Everyday is better than the next during this study abroad program and I learned more about myself and the country than I knew existed. I loved the community feel Chiang Mai had. The city is filled with kindness and culture. If you want "something different" and don't know what that even means, you'll find exactly what it is in Thailand.
Because I studied abroad in Thailand I:
- care more about the world and pay attention to what is going on
- am open-minded
- experienced cultural immersion
- made my best friends
- matured as a whole
- have more to talk about with job recruiters
- want to live in another country
- smile (or cry) when I look back on photos
Because I studied abroad in Thailand, I wish I was you looking at abroad reviews because I want to do it all again the same exact way.

It really can't.
Alanna

I've Had the Time of My Life and I Owe it All to You, Chiang Mai

After a lot of careful research, I chose to study abroad in Chiang Mai with The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) because they were quick and informative in responding to my questions. I was so glad I did. TEAN coordinators stayed in contact with me throughout my stay in the second largest city in Thailand, providing tips about where to travel to and how to make the most of my time in Southeast Asia. Through TEAN, I had the opportunity to volunteer in a Thai elementary school with adorable little kids. I also took classes at Chiang Mai University, where I got to learn about Southeast Asian politics and religion from a mix of Thai and American professors. We took numerous field trips, including a four-day homestay in a rural Thai village and an exploration of the refugee crisis on the Thai-Burmese border. Analyzing the foreign influences, politics and cultural values of Thailand and other Southeast Asian nations helped me critically examine my own country. Throw in some amazing tropical fruits and a visit to an elephant sanctuary, and I would say TEAN is the best Thailand experience out there.

About The Education Abroad Network

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is a full-service international education provider specializing in immersive study and internship programs throughout Asia Pacific. Creating close partnerships the best universities in Australia, New Zealand and...