TEAN: Australian Environment & Conservation Summer Program

Sydney Harbor Bridge Climb
Scuba Diving in the Great Barrier Reef
Education Abroad Network - Sydney city view
Education Abroad Network - Sydney city view

With millions of years of geographic isolation under its belt, Australia is home to geographical and natural features that can’t be found anywhere else. During this three-week summer study abroad program, travel across the country to some of its most naturally stunning and ecologically important destinations. Running for the past 23 years, this program is one of Australia's longest continuously running summer study abroad programs and offers a unique opportunity for students to better understand Australia’s environment and wildlife through the eyes of local experts contextualised within the global ecological crisis. While gaining hands-on experience in practical application of biological science and environmental management, you'll also discover some of the country’s most incredible sites, such as Gondwana, the Blue Mountains, Great Barrier Reef and ancient Daintree Rainforest.

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. It's an annual scholarship that can be used for any TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees and orientation (up to $15,000 value).

Carlyn

Three surreal weeks

These were some of the best weeks of my life! I arrived nervous about going to a new country without knowing anyone else on the trip, and I left wishing that we'd had more time there! I loved every moment, but my favorite parts were hiking in the Blue Mountains, surfing in Byron Bay, and snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef. We learned about conservation in the classroom and on hikes, and we were both able to have intimate experiences with nature and experience city life. Our teachers were so knowledgeable and made class really interesting! It was only three weeks, but we saw and experienced so much in that time. Still, I wished we could have stayed longer! This is the perfect trip for adventurers and nature lovers alike!

Clarice

Lots of Fun in the Land Down Under

I had never studied abroad before going to Australia and I am so glad I chose to take this trip with TEAN! It was a blast learning all about Aboriginal culture, seeing all of the indigenous flora and fauna, being with nature, and making life-long friends along the way. TEAN staff and professors were always so supportive and this adventure really helped me grow, academically and personally. Although international travel can sometimes be stressful, TEAN made it simple and enjoyable. I will never forget all of the fun I had on this trip, especially snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef! It is one thing to learn about concepts in the classroom, but it is completely different to see it for yourself and this experience lets you do just that. I also loved how we were able to travel and experience so much of the country in such a short time. Choose TEAN if you ever want to study abroad in Australia; you won't regret it!

Nathan

An Incredible Experience

This program was one of best, if not the best, experiences of my life. The course material is very interesting and is only made better by the professors, who are simply incredible, both as professors and as people. As the program moves around the east coast of Australia, we got to see a wide range of what the country has to offer, from the major city of Sydney to the surfer town of Byron Bay. The various excursions helped to expose us to the areas and topics that we were studying. Scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef was something I thought I would only dream of doing and this program gave me the opportunity to do so. One of my favorite memories, however, was hiking through the Blue Mountains with a guide who was one of the local Aboriginal people, an experience that only an established program like this could arrange. This program was an amazing experience and TEAN made it all possible. The hardest part of the entire program was going home because I did not want to leave.

AnnaWade

Best Summer Experience for Animal Lovers!!

Most amazing summer experience of my life. I felt like Steve Irwin the whole time. The course material wasn't particularly difficult simply because it is such interesting information. If you love animals and conservation and learning about new cultures then you will love this course.
The best parts were the nature excursions, all the cultural integration and learning about the Aborigines, and being with other students of different disciplines and from different universities.One thing you should know before going on this program is that it doesn't matter what you major in at your home university, what matters is that you follow your passion. If you love animals and you want to learn about how amazing Australia's conservation efforts are and how you can bring that back to your home country, then sign up!!!

Alie

I just want to go back!

I absolutely loved this program! The professors are extremely knowledgeable and answered every question that we could think of. The program is the perfect length of 3 weeks so we were busy the entire time but still had time to have fun. I had never been out of the country before, but TEAN made it such an easy transition and organized all the events very well. We stayed in various hostels and one apartment which were all very nice. I had never stayed at a hostel before, and I was pleasantly surprised with the staff and accommodations. The areas that we traveled to were extremely beautiful and made me realize why I wanted to take this course in the first place. This is an unforgettable experience that everyone needs to try!

Nothing! I would just like for it to be a little longer, it was really hard to leave Australia and all of the people that were once strangers who turned into family.
Jenifer

The Most Amazing, Indescribable, Life-Changing Experience

I don't think there will ever be enough or the right words to describe my amazing, thrilling, and memorable study abroad experience with The Education Abroad Network(TEAN). The summer program was five weeks long and took us all over Australia, enabling us to see the most iconic places and have unforgettable experiences. From the lighthouse walk in Byron Bay, to camping in the outback in Kakadu, to climbing the Sydney Harbor Bridge with an amazing view of the Opera House (where we later were able to see a show in), all the way to skydiving and scuba diving in Cairns, home of the Great Barrier Reef, I was in awe of how every day was better than the next. I gained so much knowledge about Australia through the class I took, which was taught by Sydney local professors. I wouldn't trade my study abroad experience for anything. I can't thank TEAN enough for providing such an awesome program and trip of a lifetime. If you're a prospective student reading this, TEAN is the ONLY way to go for your study abroad program!!

Nothing! I wish I chose a longer program because when it was time to go home, I did not want to leave.
Janae

A Summer Down Under and Unlike Any Other

This five week program that TEAN has built is beyond incredible! Not only do you have a new adventure and experience every single day, you get to travel to all the major cities in Australia. Each city is so unique and you pick up a little more knowledge about the kind of country Australia is everywhere you go. TEAN really tries to make sure you maximize the amount of things you do while in the country. We went on several field trips and excursions that were so much fun. Classes were interesting and the professors are easy-going and very cool. Overall it really is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that this unique program allows you to have. Definitely go if you can! I loved every aspect and have gained so much life experience, international knowledge, and new friends that I will have for a lifetime!

Sierra

Like nothing else

I have been abroad before, but never like this. Choosing TEAN and the wildlife, environment and conservation trip was one of the best choices I could have made. The experiences were incredible and everyone worked hard to make sure that we were learning and that we were having a great time. It was just the right amount of work and play. I learned so much in those five short weeks, it was an experience I will never forget. We traveled through what seemed like half of australia and got to meet and work with so many natives, as well as really get out in the field and see the things we were learning about. This trip doesn't relate to my major, and in honesty, I would highly recommend that for someone. I learned so much about something that I don't usually study, but something that I am passionate about, and now want to continue doing.

It could be longer. It was the perfect length for me, but a little more time in each place we traveled would have been nice as well.