TEAN: Study Abroad in Sydney, Australia

Byron Bay
Byron Bay
Koala
Koala
Sydney skyline from the harbour.
Sydney Opera House from a ferry!
Rugby Game at Sydney Olympic Park with TEAN students!

TEAN is proud to connect students with six partner universities in Sydney: The University of Sydney, Macquarie University, University of Technology Sydney, Notre Dame University, International College of Management Sydney and the University of New South Wales. Participants are guaranteed living arrangements in our premier apartments and, aside from comprehensive courses, can look forward to exploring the iconic beaches, beautiful weather, buzzing nightlife, and more in Australia's largest and oldest city.

Included in the program is a 5-day Orientation Excursion in Cairns where students visit the Great Barrier Reef, organized cultural activities throughout the semester, and an optional Spring Break excursion to Thailand or New Zealand (how amazing does that sound?!).

Discover Australia with TEAN as your guide - check out the TEAN website for more info!

TEAN Full Ride Scholarship

The TEAN Full Ride Scholarship is designed to give a stand-out student the opportunity to study abroad. It's an annual scholarship that can be used for any TEAN program and covers tuition, program fees and orientation (up to $15,000 value).

Sophia

Best Semester of my Life

I absolutely loved going abroad with TEAN. They were available every step of the way to make sure I got all the information I needed and more! They helped me choose a program, pick housing, enroll in classes, and helped with any documentation I needed for the country and school. TEAN allowed me to make friends before starting class, making the transition easier. I could see some of these friends becoming life long friends. With TEAN I was also able to make Australian friends that I still stay in touch with, which was an amazing gift studying aborad. My favorite part of the experience was I was a minute from the beach. I could go to the beach every day without any effort. I was truly living the dream. I am so happy with my experience with TEAN and anyone thinking about going abroad should choose TEAN.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I could go back I would save up more money so I could travel more. There are amazing places to see on that side of the world.
Nicolina

The experience of a lifetime!

My study abroad experience is something that I will cherish for the rest of my life. I am a firm believer that if anyone has the chance to study abroad while in college, you need to. The memories, lessons, and experiences throughout the 5 months that I was there were some that I will value forever, and I will never be same because of them. I was taught independence like I never experienced before and freedom on a whole new level. Studying abroad was an extremely significant part of my life when I think I needed it the most. I experienced things that some may never get to experience, like skydiving in Wollongong, visiting the Sydney Opera House weekly, and spending my StuVac week with people who are now some of my closest friends in New Zealand! Thank you, Australia for the experience of a lifetime.

SAVE SAVE SAVE! Going into this whole experience I knew I was going to be spending a lot of money, but I wish I would've saved a little bit more leading up to it instead of just always going into my savings. Although I spent what I did, it was all worth it and I don't regret it at all!
Catrina

To Travel is to Live!!

My study abroad experience is a memory I will reflect upon for the rest of my life.I feel so lucky and grateful to have lived in such an amazing environment surrounded by amazing friends. I honestly could not have imagined studying abroad to any other program but TEAN, they made it so easy to connect with other students, travel to different counties during your semester, and engage in activities in your city that you actually want to do. The resident directors and staff truly care about your experience and will do anything they can to help improve it in any way possible. They take you step by step through the whole studying abroad process so you never feel confused or alone. Studying abroad has fueled my passion for traveling and helped me make self realizations along the way!

Sabrina

TEAN makes it easy!!

TEAN is definitely the program you should go abroad with! Sydney was by far one of the coolest places I have ever been, but a new place can be overwhelming. Not with TEAN. TEAN staff members make the transition to your new country SO easy! Experienced and knowledgeable staff made the process of getting there a breeze. TEAN helped me to set up me housing, my visa, and my classes with ease. When I arrived, there was just as much help. TEAN staff members greeted me and picked me up from the airport and helped me to move into my new apartment. I was introduced to other students and taken on a walking tour of Syndey! The first weekend we went surfing at the iconic Bondi Beach! Without TEAN I would have felt lost, but I felt like a local in days!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
In Australia, I got to try kangaroo at the TEAN farewell dinner provided to us! It was actually really good!
Victoria

Sydney, Australia Study Abroad Experience

My name is Victoria Guasco and I studied abroad in Sydney, Australia last semester. My experience with TEAN was amazing and whoever is looking to go abroad I would recommend going with TEAN for many reasons. First, they made the transition into Australia very smooth and they also made the transition back home smooth too. Second, they were there if anything went wrong and I could always count on them to help me get adjusted. Third, they held events for TEAN students to get acclimated and make friends. They never left us empty handed and they did everything they could to make us feel safe and at home. Everything was very organized with the program and if you needed something you could get ahold of them within minutes.
My experience with TEAN and studying abroad in general was amazing! Those four and a half months I was there is a time I will never forget and always cherish. I traveled around Australia and New Zealand, made friends i'll have forever, furthered my education, learned many things about myself and grew in every aspect of my life. Leaving your home and started completely new is very hard, but with TEANs help you will not regret your decision to go.

First I would tell future travellers to go and to go through TEAN! I was hesitant about going at first, but once the tickets were booked and the time was planned out I was so excited. Second, I would tell future travellers that nerves are okay and they are normal. If you feel nervous contact a TEAN representative or talk to someone that has been through it before, because most likely they have gone through the same thing and know that the nerves fade once you step foot into your new home. Lastly, I would tell future travellers to do it all and never take a day for granted. I went one day and left the next. Time went by really fast and I am so glad I spent every day like it was my last. This is an experience you will never get back and it's something that you should be proud of. Cherish every second and do things you wouldn't normally do. This is your time to live and take advantage of the time you've been given.
Danielle

Study abroad

My experience in Sydney, Australia with TEAN Abroad was the trip of a lifetime. TEAN made it easy to not feel overwhelmed when transitioning to a new place. They were extremely informational and provided detailed information of what to expect when I get there. Once I did get there, I was extremely overwhelmed but the housing that TEAN put me into made it easy to meet friends and new people. It was also centrally located to the main part of Sydney which made it easy to travel and explore. Sydney was also centrally located to other parts of that side of the world. Because of that I was able to explore Thailand, Taiwan, Fiji, and New Zealand. I cannot wait to be able to go back there someday. Thanks to TEAN, Sydney slowly became my home away from home.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I forced myself to go out of my comfort zone and try some of the local delicacies. I had crocodile, emu, and kangaroo.
Amanda

Best Semester in Australia!!!

I had the best experience with TEAN studying at UNSW for a term! Before I even chose to study abroad with TEAN, a TEAN staff member answered all of my many questions promptly and in detail. When my flight was delayed causing me to miss orientation in Cairns, I was in constant contact with TEAN staff members. After I arrived in Sydney, they worked with UNSW's housing to get me into my room a few days before I was supposed to arrive along with my kitchen utensils and bedding. A staff member even met me at my housing location to help me settle in. I am so thankful them! They definitely go above and beyond! Additionally, they plan so many different excursions and longer trips that you can choose to take part in. These range from a tour of the Sydney Opera House, surfing lessons at Bondi Beach, a longer trip to New Zealand's South Island, a weekend trip to Melbourne, and more! I had an amazing time, fell in love with Sydney, and made so many friends that I still keep in touch with even though they're still on the other side of the world! It truly was the best semester of my life and I would absolutely recommend this program to anyone and everyone!!

Kavya

Australia, a place of true adventure and self-discovery.

After weeks, maybe even months of looking into different study abroad programs, I finally found the Education Abroad Network (TEAN) and that was when my dream started becoming a reality. Throughout the entire process of filling out papers and getting my classes together, TEAN was very supportive and open to helping me. Even while abroad, the support didn’t stop. The occasional check-ins and activities were great additions to my study abroad experience.
I came for new experiences and to meet new people; I came to make memories. Sometimes it’s easy to forget this goal, especially on weeks when I feel like I have so much to do and so little time.
But some of the best experiences I’ve had while here are the moments I’ve spent with friends, even if we weren’t doing anything “significant” or adventurous. Walks along the coast, movie nights with lots of junk food, learning a new position on the aerial hoop, brekky after circus training, all of these little moments, although they may seem insignificant at the time, are some of the best experiences I’ve had. Not everything has to be a grand adventure or getting work done.

They say that studying abroad is a great way to find yourself and figure out what you want to do in life. But what I learned is that I don’t. I don’t want to be on this journey to find myself or figure out what to do with my life; I just want to live it. Since grade school, I’ve been conditioned to think about my future and make decisions based on how it’ll help me in the future. Will I still think in this way? Yeah, of course, it’s kind of ingrained in me. But now I have the choice to try to unlearn this mindset and really start winging it and seeing where life takes me. Australia is a country where the day to day pace is much slower and people are truly just taking it one day at a time, which is much different to the general mindset back home especially in college where everything is about your future. I’m definitely going to have moments where I freak out about future and if what I’m doing now will be worth it, but I just have to keep reminding myself, whatever happens, happens and that it’ll be okay eventually.
Australia will always have a special place in my heart and I’m so glad that I got multiple opportunities to travel around the country and even outside it. I can’t wait to be back one day and see how much it has changed while I was away.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I wish I used public transport more instead of Ubers. I was there at a time when there was a lot of renovation and construction going on in Sydney. So sometimes it was easier to take an Uber to places but it ate up a lot of my budget.
Sabrina Murray
Sabrina

My second home with my second family

I always knew I wanted to explore the vibrant scenes of Sydney, Australia, but I could never have been prepared for the pure magic I experienced. Sydney was the most incredible home away from home. From the perfectly crafted flat white coffees I got daily at various local cafes, to the beautiful scenic hiking trails I explored with international friends in my free time, and the exciting night life beside the iconic Opera house at dusk. If I could go back now, I would. One day I will find my way back. If Sydney wasn't compelling enough on its own, UNSW and TEAN made the study abroad experience the most impeccable and memorable it could be. UNSW is an impressive university of engaging professors teaching subjects they are passionate about to students from around the world. The campus was homey and welcoming which made studying late at the library or meeting groups for projects out in the grass between classes so much more enjoyable. TEAN has left me nothing but good things to say. I will admit I was reluctant at first to let them help with registration as I felt like I was being disconnected from the process, but by the end I was so thankful for their support. They made the transition from UW to UNSW seamless through registration, to picking me up at the airport, hosting me in Cairns for an indescribable orientation, and planning group events in Sydney throughout the semester. I couldn't have lasted through the end of the semester without TEAN when I was unexpectedly diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes and sent to the emergency department. My TEAN adviser in Sydney was the single most helpful, supportive, kind, and caring person through the whole process. She made the uncomfortable and rattling experience so much more manageable by helping me to schedule doctor's appointments, navigate insurance, and giving me the courage to stay in a different country without the comfort of my family. This truly solidified my feeling of Australia and TEAN as a home and family away from the states.

Rachael

Amazing Semester in Oz

I can not say enough good things about TEAN's program in Sydney. We started the semester off with TEAN's orientation up to Cairns to see the Great Barrier Reef and the Daintree National Rainforest, which was so cool. There is so much to do in Sydney, and there are still so many things I wish I had time to do. The beaches are beautiful and so easy to get to with public transportation, and there are so many cool museums and parks as well. I loved being able to travel around Sydney and Australia with such ease, and I got to go to New Zealand for a couple of weeks which was amazing as well. TEAN was so helpful throughout with organizing cool cultural events that were free to program participants, including a surf lesson at Bondi Beach, a rugby match, a tour of the Opera House, and much more! I would not have changed this trip for anything and it exceeded all of my expectations by far.

Sarah

TEAN in Sydney = memories for a lifetime!

I absolutely loved living on the beach in Sydney and attending UNSW. Sydney is an amazing city with so much to see and do! It was easy to balance my schoolwork while exploring Australia.
I am especially glad I went abroad with TEAN! Their programs added so much value to my semester and I made so many memories during the TEAN orientation, their organized New Zealand trip and during their city-based activities throughout the semester. If you have the opportunity to go abroad with TEAN, I highly recommend you do!
I also got the chance to visit New Zealand and Singapore while studying in Australia and both trips were amazing! Try and explore that part of the world while you're there! But no worries if you stay local- there is so much to see in Sydney and beyond! You'll never be bored! I miss Sydney and Australia so much already! Can't wait to go back!

Arial

An AMAZING Australian Adventure

Going with TEAN to Australia was the best decision I made! They were super helpful getting everything ready and organized before studying abroad. Also, they picked me up from the airport and brought me to campus, planned a trip to the Outback, other activities to do in Manly and Sydney during the semester, and much more! I had a great experience with TEAN and studying at the International College of Management! I felt safe being away from family for that long because I always knew that I could rely on my TEAN team members in Australia. Thank you TEAN for helping me have the best semester abroad!
My experience in Australia was amazing. I loved the college, it was located in Manly which is a beach town just a 30 minute ferry ride north of Sydney. I walked to Manly Beach almost daily, which was a highlight of my experience. There was a lot to do within walking distance of the school. I also lived on campus, which means I lived in a castle which was pretty cool! Class is the first two floors of the castle and I lived upstairs, it was great! I was able to travel throughout Australia and experience other parts of the country. The orientation trip to the Outback was very beneficial to meet other students and learn more about the Australian culture. Overall, I loved my time here and would recommend it to anyone thinking about this program!

Ryan

These Days

I never thought it would be so hard to leave. Australia was without a shadow of a doubt the best experience that I've ever had. Whether it was my time swimming with a sea turtle at the Great Barrier Reef, learning to surf at Bondi Beach, or getting to know people from all over the world, TEAN made this trip the best it could possibly be. As I look back on my time in Australia, the only thing that I regret is that I actually left. One of the best parts about the trip was that I got a really good idea for what I wanted to do after graduation. I'm studying journalism and communications, and as the semester wore on I was really enjoying not taking my journalism classes, so I realized that wasn't for me. On the other hand, one of my favorite classes, Media, Society, and Politics, really drove home a point that I had been thinking about. Back at my home university I had taken several classes talking about social media, which I had really enjoyed! However, MSP really showed me how deep and how interesting this topic was, and as a result I'm pursuing a job in social media post graduation. I wouldn't have had that experience without studying abroad.

There isn't anything that I want improved, I loved my trip too much to have any complaints.
Bonnie

The best experience I've ever had!

There are so many things I gained from my time abroad but the most important thing I gained from my experience was independence. It takes a lot of guts to fly across the world, not knowing a single person, for 5 months and be okay. It was definitely worthwhile and I would highly recommend it. I met so many amazing people that I will now be friends with for the rest of my life. While abroad I got to travel to 3 differnt countries with so many of my new friends and had the time of my life doing so. I have so many valuable stories and life experiences becuase I chose to go abroad, and not just go abroad, but do it through TEAN!

Danielle

TEAN University of Sydney Program

I absolutely loved my study abroad experience with The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) at the University of Sydney. TEAN staff was so helpful in answering any questions or worries I had before going abroad up until the day I left. Once I landed in Australia, I attended the TEAN orientation, which was such a blast! We spent time learning about Australian culture, the logistics of the next 4 months of our lives, getting to know the other students in the program, and doing crazy activities like Skydiving and canyoning. This was the perfect way to start my study abroad adventure, where I soon ended up in Sydney. TEAN organized for about 20 students in the program to live together in apartments right in the city within walking distance of school, grocery stores, malls, the train station, and so many tourist sights! I also had such a great experience at the University of Sydney were I learned so much by being in a classroom everyday with Aussie students. TEAN also set up lots of events throughout the semester for all of the students in the area including surfing at the famous Bondi Beach, a day at Luna Park (an amusement park), a tour of the Sydney Opera House, jet boating around the harbor, an end-of-the-semester dinner cruise, and so much more! It was a great way to spend time with the other students in the program as well as see more of the city. They also organized a fun trip to Melbourne, which is another big city in Australia, which I absolutely loved! Having to say goodbye to all of my new best friends and a city I fell in love with at the end of the semester was so hard. I would absolutely recommend this program, as I had the time of my life and I'm sure you will too!

Location:
77 F / 55 F
Airports:
Sydney Airport
( SYD )

Sydney is considered the oldest and largest cosmopolitan city in Australia. This city has become iconic and has many monuments that any traveler would recognize like the Syndey Opera House. This city is wildly regarded as one of the most livable cities.

Alumni Interviews

Staff Interviews

About The Education Abroad Network

The Education Abroad Network (TEAN) is a full-service international education provider specializing in immersive study and internship programs throughout Asia Pacific. Creating close partnerships the best universities in Australia, New Zealand and...