CIEE Arts + Sciences in Wollongong, Australia

The Arts and Sciences program at the CIEE Study Center at the University of Wollongong provides a supportive environment in which you will gain personal independence and intellectual insight into Australia’s dynamic and contemporary society.

Through integration with local students and CIEE field trips, you'll participate in and reflect upon the academic, social, and cultural environments in which you live and study. The University’s location offers you easy access to Sydney while you study in an area of unmatched natural beauty and opportunities.

Zachary

Not sure where to study abroad?....go Down Under!!

Australia is one of those places that people often hear about, and associate with beaches and a laid back lifestyle. Well it is that, and SO much more! There is so much natural beauty, adventure, and a lot more diversity than I had originally imagined. The food is incredible, and people are absolutely warm and welcoming. CIEE Wollongong had a smooth and easy process prior to departure, upon arrival, and during the duration of stay. The advisers are beyond keen to help in any way they can, and are always trying to make the stay for students the best one possible. More than just advisers, they have become my friends and international connections, of whom I still keep in touch to date. As for the Uni and academic life, classes are run a bit differently than traditional US schools, but not in a bad way. What I loved most about the Wollongong program was the location. There are some of the most beautiful & non-crowded beaches just down the way, and hiking just down the other way on the beautiful mountain range. Everything is easily accessible via free bus or train. Speaking of train, it only takes roughly an hour to get to Sydney! I literally was there every single week, multiple times a week, because there is SO much to see and do. From new food places, to events, to nightlife and more beaches...you'll never have a boring week. I had the time of my life for a term there, that when I got back to the States, I longed to be back in Oz. So much so....that I went back for a second go! Yes, I did the CIEE program twice, and let me just say it was so worth it! I'd honestly do it again if I could. I highly recommend this program to anyone seeking adventure, a new but comforting environment, and independence in such a unique county and culture.

More organised Sydney exposure for students. Not enough venture out on their own and explore all it has to offer! Something I definitely learned and changed from my first to second times with the program.
Katie

Wonderful experience!

I enjoyed everyday I spent in Wollongong! So much so I am trying to come back to Australia! Locals/Australians are hospitable and help you if you need a hand. Wayne and Tonia (the program directors) are the sweetest and most respectable people you will meet! Any problems were resolved immediately and they were there for constant support. All the events were fun and we enjoyed a lot of meals with constructive, meaningful conversation. The directors really care about your wellbeing and want to see you succeed! The south coast trip to learn about indigenous traditions was very special to me and I loved that the most!

No improvements from me!
Kimberly

CIEE Study Abroad 2017: University of Wollongong

Going into this experience, I had no idea what to expect. From never being out of the country, I knew there would definitely be a culture shock. Within my first few days in Australia, I had already felt at home. The CIEE directors showed us around, met up with us for coffee, and were always there to answer any questions or concerns. As the semester continues, CIEE has been taking us on several trips that just keep getting more and more exciting. This past weekend, we completed the Sydney Bridge Climb. This experience has so far been my favorite part of this trip. Seeing Sydney from the top of a bridge was jaw dropping. We got the pleasure of seeing the city in both day and night while up there. In a previous weekend, CIEE took us on a weekend trip where we hiked Mt. Gulaga with an aboriginal. It was a very special and memorable trip that many in Australia don't get the chance to experience. As our time here continues, I feel more and more connected to not only those in my program, but the directors as well. My time abroad would not nearly be as great without this program. From the amount of support and help they give to the trips they plan for us, I have gotten the most out of my time here. Asides from the program trips, you also have a lot of time/weekends to explore on your own. One trip planned is New Zealand; which was made with the friends I have made through CIEE. My time here so far has been unbelievable and I cannot wait to see what the next few months have in store!

Jimmie

Along the Gong

Studying abroad in Wollongong may have been one of he best decisions I have ever made. Such an amazing place with such amazing people. What I love about Wollongong the most is the amazing beach in the fantastic shops that are located right in the center of town. School on other hand is a very close by and only about a five minute bus ride. The classes are actually quite easy and not as stressful as I anticipated. This of course allowed us study abroad students to travel and have fun throughout the semester. Overall, again what an amazing experience, I would recommend it to anyone.

Improve upon housing accommodations and meal services.
Emily

Taking Risks and Finding Confidence

It sounds cliche, but study abroad, specifically my time at the University of Wollongong, completely changed my life. One of my favorite parts of my time abroad was a trip organized by CIEE where the group went abseiling. I am extremely scared of heights but going into the experience I promised myself I would seize every opportunity in my limited time abroad. This program, in particular, encourages and supports every student to get outside their comfort zone and try things you never even imagined were possibilities. The freedom to discover and create your own experience is a benefit of this program. You are given the freedom to explore while knowing there are staff around supporting any questions or concerns that may arise. The people were the best part of my study abroad experience and I now have life-long friends because of it. Overall, I have found that I am now a more confident person because I studied abroad. I barely recognize the person I was before my experience abroad and I know my time in Australia will be with me the rest of my life.

About CIEE

A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international study and exchange programs. For 65 years, CIEE has helped thousands of students, professionals, and educators gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and...