CCSA: Summer Term - Belize Anthropology Ethnographic Field School

Immerse yourself in Belize as you practice field research with an experienced faculty member from Northern Kentucky University. Gain valuable skills such as ethnographic interviewing to develop an appreciation for Belizean cultural diversity. The ethnographic field school is partnering with Belizean institutes and associations in order to contribute to an understanding of the culture of sugar cane farmers in Orange Walk District village communities. Our community partners will use our results and recommendations to develop and conduct workshops for farmers on agricultural techniques, economics, health, and other community development topics.

• CCSA courses fit in your schedule by offering winter term and summer term options
  • Programs are lower cost and contain more included excursions and activities in the base program price than other study abroad options.
  • CCSA courses are designed for first-time abroad students, providing extra layers of support and development through one-on-one sessions, small group orientations and detailed pre-departure cultural competency training.
  • Direct support in-transit and on-site from trained CCSA staff.
  • Students travel with faculty and staff from select US airports as a group -or- students can book their own airfare and travel independently

scubagirl

Belize is Fantastic!

We stayed in very rustic conditions and the course was very challeging physically. We hiked through the jungle, we swam through caves, we snorkeled a lot. It was hard but it the way that challenges you enough to show you how much you are capable of. Take at least a liter water bottle, probably two and good hiking shoes/boots. The terrain is nothing like you have ever seen before. The food is very simple but simple things like fruit or baked goods have a lot more flavor there. The people are some of the friendliest I have ever met. They can be shy, but they want to meet you and want to share their culture with you, so talk to them. We did a home visit that was fascinating. My outlook on the definition of poverty, American culture, and myself were all profoundly transformed. I would not only go again, I have gone again!