Study Undergraduate Communication Sciences & Disorders in Belize

Speech Camp
Speech Camp
girl in classroom
girl in classroom

This two-week program is based in the Central American country of Belize and is intended for undergraduate students ages 18 and up who are interested in pursuing a career in speech-language pathology (speech therapy), audiology or a related field. This is an ideal program for students who want to take advantage of learning from professional American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) accredited speech-language pathologists (SLPs) and Therapy Abroad staff in order to learn more about this remarkable field of study. Students will gain hands-on experience rarely found in the classroom, professional observation hours, one-on-one time with SLPs and other professionals, intercultural exchange, a better understanding of global issues, and a chance to help children with special needs and their families.

• Hand-On Experience in Communication Sciences
  • Work with Professionally Licensed SLPs
  • Adventure Travel in Belize
  • Speech-Language Pathology Clinical Hours
  • Speech-Language Pathology Professional Observation Hours

Now Accepting Applications for Summer 2020

Therapy Abroad is now accepting applications for all of our summer 2020 programs. Programs fill on a first-come basis and are limited to just 12 students per date. Apply now and secure your spot for one of our award-winning programs in Belize, Thailand, and the Dominican Republic!

Cas

An Amazing Experience Like No Other

Going into this program, I had no idea how much I would truly gain as a result of all of the experiences that are given through the two weeks of this program. Before coming to this program, I was not entirely sure that speech pathology was what I wanted to do with my life. However, now there is no doubt in my mind that this is what I want to spend the rest of my life doing. Therapy Abroad not only gives students the opportunity to learn more about the life of speech pathologist and common tasks, assessments, and treatment activities but the program also gives the students the chance to implement and take charge in running said activities, while also sprinkling in fun along the way. I cannot say enough to truly grasp the level that this trip and experience truly impacted me, the lifelong friends I made, and all the memories it gave me. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to go into speech pathology.

Ask questions. Don't be afraid to ask anything. This program is an opportunity for you to learn at every opportunity. Don't let the fear of feeling like it's a stupid question stop you from asking it. Get the most out of this trip that you can. Learn and take in absolutely everything, because this truly is a one-of-a-kind experience that once it is done you will wish you could do over and over again
Emma

Therapy Abroad Belize Communication Disorders

I loved this experience and all of the things I learned while in Belize for two weeks. We led a therapy camp for children with special needs, visited villages for treatments, and also had lots of fun seeing Belize. I gained lots of experience writing SOAP notes, observing licensed SLP's and writing goals for the kids I worked with. We did lots of learning and work during the week, but had lots of fun on the weekends! I would definitely recommend this program to any undergrad or graduate student in communication sciences & disorders!

One piece of advice I would give to future travelers on this program would be to come in with an open mind and ready to learn. I also would recommend to enjoy every moment, even the time off at night, to get to know the other students and make lots of great memories.
Nina

Belize

It was really fun. Good balance of education and free time. The supervisors were great and Ellen was amazing. I loved Monkey Bay and the trip to Caye Caulker was a nice way to unwind after working at narcie for the previous two weeks. The one thing I didn’t love was everything I was expected to know prior to this trip. I am not studying SLP at my university and felt as though I was supposed to already be accustomed with everything we did. It was less about learning and more about applying the information. I wanted to go on this trip to help me decide what I want to do in graduate school and whether or not I wanted to pursue SLP. Other than that it was a great trip.

Bring lots of bug spray and sun screen. Be prepared to have fun.
Emily

Amazing Trip

Going to Belize for the two-week program was an amazing experience. The supervisors were nothing but nice, the food was delicious, and the hands-on experience I participated in was exciting. I loved how all of the meals and excursions were paid for and how we got to stay on an island for the last weekend in Belize. Working with the children both at NaRCIE and during home visits in Belize was a humbling experience. I would highly recommend this trip to all who love to travel and speech pathology!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I was so excited that we saw monkeys in the wild multiple times at the Mayan Temples!
Eryn

Review

This experience was incredibly beneficial not only educationally, but also socially. The other girls in our group have such great personalities along with the leaders, which allowed us to flow well together and stay positive. I feel I have received a strong perspective of speech pathology through our classroom discussions and observing our leaders. My favorite part of the trip was the home visits and being with the sweet children. Everyone on our trip has been so friendly and helpful! I am thankful now that I have some great resources for the future!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
During the trip to the Mayan temples, the tour guide asked our group to try termites -- so of course we did!
Hailey

Travel Abroad Belize!

This trip is the most fun and rewarding trip I've been on! To anyone considering going, I would highly suggest it. The staff is so friendly and the other students on the trip have become some of my closest friends. The excursions are phenomenal and working at Tykes Camp was so much fun. I have learned so much more here than I could have imagined: about myself, other people, the belizean culture and speech therapy. If you go, take advantage of everything there is to do. I couldn't have asked for a better trip.

Keep an open mind, try every new thing you can and talk to everyone. Ask tons of questions to everyone, the locals know so many fascinating facts about Belize and you can learn so much from the supervisors about speech therapy.
Alex

Awesome Trip

This trip was amazing. We had so much fun with all sorts of activities like cave tubing, zip lining, visiting a Mayan temple, and snorkeling. The camp that we held for the kids was a great experience that allowed me to learn about different things related to the field of speech language pathology. The home visits to meet people in villages with communication disorders allowed me to learn a lot more about the culture and how people with disabilities are treated in Belize. I would definitely recommend this trip to anyone planning on becoming an SLP.

Leila

The best 2 weeks of my undergraduate career!

This program exceeded every expectation I had for it. I got to experience things that most studying SLPs will not get the chance to experience until Grad school. We were given the opportunity to perform speech and hearing screenings in schools, run a special education camp for students, and observe treatment sessions in the homes of children in the area. It pushed me out of my comfort zone in every way possible, but in doing so it made me into a stronger, better person. I came out of this program with a new sense of confidence in myself and my abilities as a clinician. I was able to learn things about behavior regulation, working with special education students, lesson planning, thinking on my feet, cultural competence in regards to the SLP profession, and most importantly I learned how to use my failures to my advantage and grow and change from them. Being surrounded by 12 likeminded people I was able to create lifelong friendships and connections with undergraduate students from across the US and Canada whom I never would have had the chance to meet otherwise. I was also able to create connections with 3 practicing SLPs from across the US and Australia who I know I will be able to turn to for help and advice in the future, as well as for letters of recommendation in applying to grad school. In addition to all the hard work we put into to bettering the lives of children in Belize, we got to experience the best of what Belize has to offer including incredible local food, cave tubing, zip lining, the Altun Ha archeological site, and snorkeling on Caye Caulker Island. I am beyond grateful to therapy abroad for this experience and everything they have done for me.

I would say to go into this program expecting to fail. This program will teach you to learn from your mistakes and accept guidance and support from your supervisors. If you let it, this program will mold you into a better clinician, student, and person, but you have to come into it with an open mind and just be a sponge for all the valuable life lessons it will teach you.
Marissa

Therapy Abroad June 1-15

Therapy Abroad gave me an opportunity to gain cultural knowledge and experience in my field of interest. I got a glimpse of what it would be like to work as a speech-language pathologist in a school setting. I was exposed to aspects of speech-language pathology that I have not yet seen or learned about in my education. Therapy Abroad provided hands on experience, which is a great way to learn outside of a textbook. My time in Belize was unforgettable. Besides learning how to work as a clinician, we were able to experience and learn about Belizean culture. I was also able to seek advice from my supervisors and fellow peers. I have made connections with students and professionals from all over the country, which I feel will benefit me in the long run.

I think that Therapy Abroad can improve by having more discussions and reflections. We were given journal topics in our travel itinerary, however we never once discussed the topics. I expected to learn more about speech-language pathology from my supervisors. Our conversations were very surface level, and the students were the ones that had to ask questions and initiate conversations. I wish I could have learned more about their personal experiences as clinicians (e.g. how they have overcome struggles they have faced as SLPs, what they wished they would have known as undergraduates). There was also quite a bit of down time each time, from around 3:00 or 4:00 until dinner at 6:00. There is very limited things to do at Monkey Bay, and we would have liked to have a fuller schedule so that we weren't just sitting there for a few hours doing nothing. It was too hot to be inside, so we would have to sit outside. This would be a good time for discussions or some other learning module.
Tess

Belize Belize Belize!

Two weeks in the beautiful country of Belize changed me in more ways than I can count! Our time was filled with learning, growing, seeing, meeting, eating, failing, achieving, adventuring, hammock-ing, and so much more. Being able to interact directly with local children and families, while also witnessing some of the most beautiful scenes in the country, this made for the perfect balance of work and play. The food was incredible, as the people of Belize and Monkey Bay are filled with hospitality. I know for a fact that my experience would not have been what it was if we wouldn't have stayed at Monkey Bay Sanctuary. This immersion into the environment was irreplaceable; the locals who worked there, the nature all around us, and of course, the hammocks. I left Belize having more trust and confidence in myself. On the last day, my team leader asked me what my biggest lesson I learned was while on the trip. I thought about it for a while, and finally I said to her, "If I could put this trip's lesson into one sentence, it would be, "I can do this."" I wouldn't trade my time in Belize for anything!

While a lot of the students were at the same grade level in their undergraduate careers, we were all at very different places in regards to content of our courses. If I would have been a freshman or sophomore on this trip, I can see how it would have been very overwhelming in the academic areas. A lot of the content I learned during my junior year helped me tremendously to feel comfortable and competent. Chad mentioned creating a program for students who are earlier in their undergraduate track and I thought it was a great idea. Additionally making sure that the supervisor is aware of what levels the students are at, to maximize his/her teaching, is ideal.
Amanda

Two Weeks in Belize with Therapy Abroad

Therapy Abroad does an amazing job at making your two weeks in Belize the best time you could ever have. This was such an incredible and unique experience where I was able to learn so much about speech-language pathology and also have a blast. Belize is such an amazing and beautiful country and Therapy Abroad does a great job at ensuring that we work and get to play! I am so thankful that this program allows students of all skill levels to learn and grow together. During this trip you not only learn so much but also create friendships that will last a lifetime. Everything about this trip is organized and very well done, Therapy Abroad does a great job at planning and keeping their students safe! Whether I was teaching kids or swimming with sharks, it was the best experience of my life and I would love to do it again someday!

Sarah

Therapy Abroad, Belize

If you are in a position to go on a trip with Therapy Abroad, do it. As a student who attends a university that doesn't offer a major in Communication Sciences and Disorders, only a minor, I firmly believe that Therapy Abroad is the strongest experience on my resume to help prepare me for graduate school. Chad, Jessy, and all of the organizational staff are diligent about maintaining thorough communication with participants throughout the program, whether it be providing details about flight logistics, offering medications and remedies to students whose bodies are having trouble adjusting to their new environment, or outlining the time frames for upcoming plans in the program. I did a study abroad program through my own undergraduate institution, but Therapy Abroad's program is far more organized. They remove the worry of tackling the nuances of getting around a foreign country by planning a group flight to Belize, making restaurant reservations, and arranging lodging, all of which are a tremendous comfort, especially to people who haven't traveled outside the country before. Having all the details taken care of prior to your arrival allows students to really focus on why they are joining in on the trip in the first place: to get hands-on experience in their chosen field. Having certified SLPs as chaperones and supervisors in the program was a crucial component to the program, since they were our go-to people to consult regarding decisions about planning the Tykes Camp curriculum. Their expertise and guidance helped our camp to run smoothly, and the reflection time we shared with them at the end of each day provided us with enlightening advice to help improve each subsequent day of clinical work. The insights I accumulated from that direct experience working with both typically-developing and developmentally-disabled campers, combined with the constructive feedback of my supervisors, was of paramount importance in solidifying my chosen career path. I have recently been accepted into graduate school, and feel much more confident in my ability to handle clinical situations with poise and competence than I otherwise would have. I feel so fortunate to have found out about Therapy Abroad, and highly recommend it to interested students, because you will gain clinical time that is difficult to find in the States and develop close relationships with the other students and supervisors in your group.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
This trip isn't all about clinical hours, though it is certainly the primary focus of the program. Therapy Abroad really makes an effort to balance work and play, so that students can experience Belize more fully in their two-week visit. Some of the more touristy/fun activities that you do during your stay includes cave tubing, which is where you are literally sitting in an inner tube, roped together with 4-5 other people in your group and a guide. All of you wear headlamps as you float through this otherwise dark cave, exploring the rock formations carved inside by ancient civilizations. While I trusted my guide, the experience as a whole felt pretty eerie, and as someone who isn't particularly adventurous, the concept made me a bit nervous. I definitely went outside my comfort zone with that outing.
Angelina

Incredible Once In a Lifetime Experience!

This experience was definitely one of my favorite parts of my undergraduate career. I highly encourage everyone to take this opportunity and be a part of this program! This program also set me apart from other students when applying for graduate programs. Not only are you able to gain unique and valuable hands on clinical experience, but you also get to learn about the culture and how to work with individuals from various backgrounds. You may also discover and learn about things that you didn’t even know you were interested in! As a result of this program, I left with a deeper love and passion to serve others in the field of speech language pathology in ways I wouldn’t have known if I did not attend this program. Overall, I had an amazing time- I was well taken care of, as I got to do what I love, in such a beautiful place!

Valerie

You Need To Go - Trust Me!

I went on this trip not knowing a single other person and came out with the greatest of friends from all over the country that I never would have known otherwise. I also came back with more knowledge than I've ever had on speech-language pathology, Belize, and my own abilities I didn't know I possessed. I had always wanted to study abroad, but never found any programs specifically for CSD and that weren't an entire semester long - which would throw off all of my classes (especially with being a senior). When I heard about Therapy Abroad, it was the exact thing I had always been looking for. At first, it may seem too good to be true, but it IS true and you will not regret it. You get to work hands-on with children of all different levels and practice doing real things used in therapy. I learned things here that I never would have learned in my Undergrad classes let alone applying them. Even in such a short amount of time, you can possibly see progress and changes happening among the kids. There's no need to worry about your level of knowledge going in because the SLPs/supervisors teach you and allow you to trust in yourself with what you do know. Our supervisors were incredible and helped us to not be scared, but to trust that we can do this and to learn from one another. I discovered strengths and weaknesses I never knew I had. Yes, it was incredibly hot and humid which wasn't always easy, but I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself if I let that hold me back. I felt completely safe at Monkey Bay and everywhere we went. The food and people are absolutely wonderful. Zip-lining, snorkeling, cave tubing, and walking the ruins were also SO incredibly fun and I am so glad they were incorporated in the trip. Going to the island is such a fun time and you'll wish you could stay! Learning about the culture of Belize is amazing and I was genuinely sad to leave what honestly started to feel so comfortable after just two weeks. You work hard and get to experience something incomparable to anything else with a special group of people who you will always share that with. You will be pushed to limits and face challenges that will only help you grow in your CSD academics and also a personal level. This trip has developed a heart in me to want to provide speech services internationally in my future career. This trip gives you the opportunity to start a small part in changing some lives and also changing your own. To me, it opened up a whole new world of what speech pathology can be. It was pretty much the best thing I ever did and would love for as many people who can, to also experience it!!

I really can't think of much! Developing an easier payment plan could be helpful instead of the large increments. I think it could also be helpful to explain the camp in more detail prior to the trip and just to make sure to bring bug spray that's not just for mosquitos.
Sarah

Therapy Abroad (Belize 2018)

Traveling with Therapy Abroad to Belize for two weeks was an experience I will treasure forever. The hands-on learning was nothing like anything I had done before. We were able to come up with and execute plans for a day camp, and also work with licensed SLPs in the process.

During my trip, we were able to travel to a school and give hearing screens as well as assist in taking speech samples that were used to determine if the students should be recommend for treatment. We also traveled into the community and observed the SLPs giving language screenings to at risk populations who were unable to travel to clinics in town.

On the weekends we were able to do SO many fun and unique things! We went cave tubing (during the hike I held a tarantula!) and zip lining the first weekend. Both were activities I had never done before. I felt completely safe and had an amazing time during both experiences. The last weekend in Belize we traveled to a near by island. This was where we got to go snorkeling!! (With sharks and sting rays!!!) Again, this was an activity I had never done before, and I felt safe and was never pressured. It was definitely a once in a life time opportunity that I will never forget!

The only thing I can think of is that I would love to see a little more information about the itinerary of the two weeks sent out slightly more in advanced. (This really was not that big of a deal, I just like to plan).