SFS Summer: Himalayan Forests & Rural Livelihoods in Bhutan

Bhutan is your classroom in this six-week program exploring culture, environmental issues, and rural livelihoods. Participate in SFS’ joint research with the Ugyen Wangchuck Institute for Conservation and Environmental Research (UWICER) and the Bhutan Ecological Society (BES) on topics including biodiversity conservation, sustainable forestry, watershed management, and rural development. Trekking across valleys and ridges and through villages, students learn about culture, Buddhist philosophy, and environmental issues, and gain an intimate knowledge of the local ecosystems and rural livelihoods.

Elizabeth

Really Powerful Learning

I don't think I have grown more in six weeks than when I was in Bhutan. It took me out of my little, conservative northern California bubble and filled me with new thoughts and ideas. My classmates love hearing my stories of monsoons, nights in the karaoke bar and directed research. This trip has also given me an edge and left an impression when I interview for student jobs and internships.

More freedom. We got treated like little kids a bit too often.

About The School for Field Studies

The School for Field Studies (SFS) offers field-based programs that revolve around environmental studies and research. The programs involve exploration of the human and ecological aspects of issues having to do with the local environments. Students...