Spend a semester in a corner of the Himalayas where few foreigners ever step foot. Trek through remote villages and high mountain passes to experience Bhutan’s vibrant culture, Buddhist philosophy, and environmental issues firsthand. Learn about the challenges of maintaining biodiversity and traditional rural lifestyles in a time of transition. Develop skills in field research and data collection, and apply them to a research project on conservation and development issues in Bhutan.
SFS students live and study at the Center for Himalayan Environment and Development Studies. The Center is located at one end of the stunning Paro Valley, at the base of a towering ridgeline dotted with Buddhist monasteries. Campus is a small cluster of buildings designed in the traditional Bhutanese architectural style. A pleasant 15-minute walk brings you to the markets, shops, and cultural events of Paro Town.
- Embark on a multi-day cultural trek to experience the natural beauty of Bhutan’s countryside and the traditional lifestyles of its people.
- Visit monasteries and take part in unforgettable tsechus (festivals) to learn more about Buddhism and Bhutanese culture.
- Explore Bhutan’s diverse range of biomes through trips to Himalayan ridges, the subtropical Punakha and Chukha Valleys, and the alpine meadows of Phobjikha.
- Develop field skills including: GIS and mapping, species identification, camera trapping and mist-netting, biodiversity surveys, research design and implementation, data collection and analysis, research presentation
- Conduct research in some of the following areas: Mountain ecology and conservation, climate change, Gross National Happiness, forest management, river ecosystems, agriculture and urban migration
We’ve updated our refund & cancelation policy to allow for flexible booking due to COVID-19
SFS Awards More Than $650,000 in Need-based Aid Each Year
SFS works closely with your home school to help you fund your SFS program. Many applicants receive aid through their home institutions or other outside sources, so check with your financial aid office to see what aid may apply to an SFS program.