View Other Details
No Application Fee!
SFS offers some of the best (and most adventurous!) hands-on study abroad programs. Our programs in the small Kingdom of Bhutan, nestled high in the Himalayan mountains, explore pressing environmental issues such as natural resource use, climate change impacts, and sustainable livelihoods. Students learn through outdoor lectures, hands-on field exercises, and activities with community members and area NGOs.
The SFS campus is located in the stunning Paro Valley, at the base of a towering ridgeline dotted with Buddhist monasteries. Campus is a small cluster of buildings designed in the traditional Bhutanese architectural style. A short walk brings you to the markets, shops, and cultural events of Paro Town.
Click on Visit Site above to learn more about studying abroad in Bhutan with SFS!
- Earn academic credit: 18 credits for semester programs and 6 credits for summer programs. Conduct a 4-credit research project during the semester program.
- Develop core skills including species identification, camera trapping and mist-netting, biodiversity surveys, research design and implementation, data collection and analysis, research presentation, and more.
- Visit monasteries, take part in unforgettable festivals, and embark on a multi-day treks. Experience the natural beauty of Bhutan’s countryside and learn about the Buddhism and the traditional lifestyles of the Bhutanese people.
- Explore Bhutan’s diverse range of biomes through trips to Himalayan ridges, the subtropical Punakha and Chukha Valleys, and the alpine meadows of Phobjikha.
- SFS Bhutan semester research topics may include mountain ecology and conservation, climate change, Gross National Happiness, forest management, river ecosystems, agriculture and urban migration.
Spend a semester in a corner of the Himalayas where few foreigners ever step foot. Trek through remote villages and high mountain passes to experience Bhutan’s vibrant culture, Buddhist philosophy, and environmental issues firsthand. Learn about the challenges of maintaining biodiversity and traditional rural lifestyles in a time of transition.
5 classes | 18 credits | One life-changing study abroad experience.
Explore the rich culture, biodiversity, and dramatic mountain views of the Bhutanese Himalayas and learn how forests - which cover more than 70% of the landscape - are integral to the goals of Gross National Happiness. Spend your time surveying forests, visiting ancient shrines, and studying conservation and development in one of the most fascinating countries in the world.
1 class | 6 credits | One life-changing study abroad experience.
The School for Field Studies Scholarships
SFS works closely with your home school to help you fund your SFS program. Many applicants receive aid through their home institutions or other outside sources, so check with your financial aid office to see what aid may apply to an SFS program.