The Middlebury program in Florianópolis offers cultural and linguistic immersion through a rigorous curriculum and adherence to the Middlebury Language Pledge. By pledging to speak only the target language while abroad, students will have the best chance of acquiring fluency and actively engaging in the local environment. Participants take their courses directly in a local university, at Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, and all students are encouraged to get involved in the community through internships or interactions within the clubs and activities available.
Florianópolis, the capital of Brazil’s southern state of Santa Catarina, is located on an island and features breathtaking scenery as well as a vibrant cultural life around the university. Florianópolis is highly attractive for its dozens of beaches, lagoons surrounded by mountains, and its quality of life. Its cultural traditions and architecture were influenced by the Portuguese island of Azores.
- All course work is conducted entirely in Portuguese
- Students adhere to the Middlebury College Language Pledge
- Direct enrollment at Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
- Courses in most liberal arts disciplines
- Housing with Brazilian families