This program is no longer offered. View more programs from GEO Study Abroad.
Research in Rapa Nui (Easter Island)

Research in Rapa Nui (Easter Island)

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from GEO Study Abroad.

In this special study abroad program you will travel to Rapa Nui (Easter Island) for a combined seminar-style intensive course and grand “field trip” to witness the island’s most remarkable archaeology. The course is offered by leading Rapa Nui expert, Dr. Terry Hunt, whose work has been featured in a National Geographic cover story (July 2012), on Nova-National Geographic TV, and in his award-winning book with Carl Lipo, The Statues that Walked (2011). Dr. Hunt has also published his Rapa Nui research in prestigious journals such as Science, American Scientist, Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, Journal of Archaeological Science, and many others.

South America » Chile
Cultural Studies
Spanish
Rapa Nui

Kayla
Corvallis, OR
University of Oregon

Rapa Nui 2016

A truly unique and incredible experience! Being one of the most isolated places on Earth, arriving on Rapa Nui is almost like stepping foot on another planet. Exploring the striking landscapes, culture, and archaeology with the two leading archaeologists, and having the chance to conduct my own research while on the island was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. Nearly every inch of Rapa Nui is an archaeological site, and you can't go far without finding something amazing. If you have the chance to visit Rapa Nui, this is the trip to take. You will not find anyone more knowledgeable about the island than Dr. Hunt, and he provides an in-depth, educationally immersive experience you won't get anywhere else. This was one of the first years this trip was offered, and as amazing as my experience was, I know the trip will only improve in quality every year as the kinks get worked out!

I would have preferred more structured daily activities, and communication between group members and faculty could be improved.

Jacob
Eugene
University of Oregon

Research In Rapa Nui 2016

This experience was a once in a lifetime opportunity for me. The study abroad program was lead by one of the world's leading Rapa Nui experts and we got access to more of the island than almost anyone else could. This program was fantastic overall, if a bit disorganized. Even with the problems with organization, we still got to see all of the island and do everything on the island in the two weeks we were there, except for hiking one of the volcanoes. In addition, for anyone who likes stars or the night sky, my program was there during a new moon, resulting in some of the best Milky Way and night sky views I have ever seen, complimented by the moai statues that dotted the island. I highly recommend this experience, I learned a lot about archeology, Pacific islands, and especially Rapa Nui all while seeing some of the most incredible sights I have ever seen.

At Global Education Oregon, we create pathways to international, experiential learning for students, faculty, and university partners. Founded on the belief that international engagement is integral to developing global citizens, we prepare students for a 21st century workforce, creating exceptional academic and professional development opportunities