The Middlebury program in Santiago offers cultural and linguistic immersion through a rigorous curriculum and adherence to the Middlebury Language Pledge. By pledging to speak only the target language while abroad, students will have the best chance of acquiring fluency and actively engaging in the local environment. Participants take their courses directly in a local university, at either Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile or Universidad de Chile, and all students are encouraged to get involved in the community through internships or interactions within the clubs and activities available.
Students looking for more advanced language preparation prior to the start of the spring semester in Latin America are encouraged to participate in the four-week Spanish program in Uruguay. This program is the equivalent of a fifth-semester Spanish course, and focuses on the study of the cultural and social characteristics of the local Carnaval.
- All course work is conducted entirely in Spanish
- Students adhere to the Middlebury College Language Pledge
- Direct enrollment in local universities alongside Chilean students
- Courses in most liberal arts disciplines
- Housing with Chilean families