IES Abroad Beijing Summer - Language Intensive

IES Abroad Beijing Summer - Language Intensive

IES Abroad’s Beijing Summer study abroad program offers enrollment in IES Abroad courses, housing in student residence halls, regular meetings with local students as language and culture partners, and field trips in Beijing and throughout China; you will have the opportunity to meet Chinese and international students alike. Starting at the IES Abroad Center on the west campus of Beijing Foreign Studies University, you will gain a meaningful cultural experience and a deeper knowledge of what it means to be a citizen of the world.

Asia » China » Beijing

Danielle
Kansas City
College of Charleston

Blonde Buddha

From getting strep on my first day, to an ATM stealing my card within the first week, and finally (the icing on the cake) my flights being cancelled on the day I’m suppose to leave. It was quite an experience. Despite this, the IES staff had my back through all of it, and this experience (even with what seemed like disasters) was amazing. Not only did the staff bring me to the hospital, pay for me when I was money-less, and help figure out my flight situation, but they also give me unconditional support in advancing my Mandarin and as a first time foreigner in China.
I was nervous about doing a language intensive because my Chinese was definitely not up to the casual conversation standards, let alone survival standards. The everyday classes, tutoring, and language pledge fixed that up quickly. Especially the language pledge, my all time favorite challenge. Finally, my Chinese was getting the attention it needed to succeed. My teacher even got me an internship and a kid tutoring so I could practice my Chinese and communication skills in a real-time environment.
My time in Beijing was life changing, and I wish I stayed longer. The staff was incredibly helpful, the other students were diverse and amazing, and Beijing, a city bursting with students, was the best atmosphere for bettering one's Chinese. If you’re on the wall (Great Wall :P) debating whether or not to go study abroad. Always go.

I honestly had such a good time, that I can't see any need for improvement. Any situations I ran into were all apart of the experience, and I don't wish for anything else.

Mohammad
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
University of Rochester

Just Do It!

If you are looking for unsure about the quality of this program, this rest assure it is outstanding. The teachers are experienced, professional, and 100% friendly (I had lunch and dinner with all of them, and traveled with some around China).

If you are worried about your IES friends that will accompany you, then don't. IES knows (for real) how to pick the best group of people. Those people made the experience even more enjoyable. We took care of each other, and we encouraged each other to learn and venture for fun.

If you are not sure about the city, then don't. I came to Bejing thinking about all I heard regarding pollution and wearing masks. Fact: I never wore a mask for any health concern, and trust me I do take care of myself. This trip made understand Beijing real situation and for that I'm grateful.

Language: you will learn a lot.
Fun: Everyday is a new adventure. There has not been a single boring day. (Probably it's the case of study abroad).
Food: you will definitely fell in love with it. (Contrary to what some tourists might say because you will emerge in the culture and gain the real perspective).

In short, If you remotely thinking about this program, stop and just do it!

As a beginner level student, I wish it was required for me to speak only Chinese after the first month as oppose to after the second month. In other words I liked the Language pledge and wished if it was longer for me.

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to