IES Abroad Rome – Language & Area Studies

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, IES Abroad has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

A view of Tuscany, one of the trips you can go on from IES!
A ceiling view of one of the many breath-taking churches in Rome.
A gelato selection from Frigidarium. One of my favorite shops in Rome and two minutes from the IES school center!

No matter what your level of Italian language proficiency, this program is for you. Students enroll in an Italian language course and choose from a variety of other courses, taught in both English and Italian.

Rome will be your classroom. Can you imagine places like the Vatican, Pantheon, the Forum, or the Coliseum being part of your education? Welcome to study abroad! Wherever possible our courses take advantage of the city’s many opportunities through a series of course-related field studies to many historical, artistic, and cultural sites.

You can also enroll in courses at a local university, where you will experience first-hand the Italian educational system. Maybe you’ll even make some Italian friends while you’re at it.

IES Abroad Scholarships
IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Our best guess is yes, because the weekends aren't scheduled. We also found this on the program site: "Our courses are experiential in nature, and we organize more than 150 course-related trips each semester to historic, artistic, and cultural sites that take advantage of the city’s many opportunities." Hope that helps!

our housing options were either 1) with a host family, or 2) in apartment housing with other students. I really enjoyed my living situation with a host family. The physical environment of the houses/apartments in Rome are probably more snug than what students are used to in the States, but it just takes some adjustment! In general, the student apartments and host family homes had a lot of charm...

Carolyn

The Best Immersive Experience I Could Ask For

This past fall 2019, I had the exciting opportunity to study abroad through IES Abroad's Rome Language and Area Studies Program. Through IES, I opted for homestay housing and I bonded almost immediately with my hostess. The lectures in and outside of the classroom, my coursework and the IES Rome faculty made my studies in Rome extremely fruitful. IES Rome's organized events also gave a great introduction to Roman and Italian culture and inspired me to discover more about the city on my own. I could not have asked for a better culturally immersive experience!

There were hardly any flaws in IES Rome's program.
Hannah

I had the time of my life in Rome!

I studied with IES Abroad Rome for the full academic year during my sophomore year of college and had the time of my life. IES was easy to work with both pre-departure and on-site. Before arrival, any questions that I had were answered promptly and thoroughly and the whole experience was very nice. The on-site staff in Rome were all wonderful. They are kind and dedicated people who are committed to ensuring that students have the best experience possible while they are abroad. All of the professors that I had the opportunity to study with were amazing. They were all very knowledgable in their field and made the classes both informative and enjoyable. My homestay was also amazing. It was located in the center of Rome, very close to the IES Center and with easy access to anything that I could possibly need. All of my classes involved field studies that took us all over the city and allowed us to see the things that we had been learning about in person. It really made the experience immersive and helped me to gain a deeper appreciation of my host country's history and culture. Overall, I had an incredible experience with IES Abroad and would recommend them to anyone wanting to have a truly fun and enriching experience.

My main suggestion is to spend time in Rome and the surrounding area. I knew so many people in the program who spent every weekend traveling and never really got to know the city that they were living in. While traveling around the rest of Europe is fun, I think it is important to spend time getting to know your host country as well.
Rachel

An amazing experience that everyone should have!

An amazing opportunity for self-growth, adventure, and a wider sense of the world. IES Rome gave me the opportunity to immerse myself in Italian culture and encouraged me to use my language skills. I became quite familiar with Rome and grew to really love the city and its thousands of years of history. Having a home base in Rome additionally allowed me to travel to many different places in Italy including Cinque Terre, Venice, Amalfi, Florence, Milan, and San Gimignano. It was an incredible 4 months and I am so happy and grateful that I was able to have such a once-in-a-lifetime semester.

plan ahead and make a list of top places you would love to see. Make a budget for yourself to help with this. Take advantage of your professors for travel recommendations or academic help on your program.
Paola

Amo Roma!

I had an amazing time at IES Rome! I was originally hesitant to even consider going abroad, but after some persuasion from my friends, I decided that Rome was the place for me. I heard about IES through some friends of mine who really enjoyed the program and had nothing but amazing things to say about it, my experience was amazing and the reviews I heard were extremely on point. Going abroad is definitely one of the best decisions you could make! The program director and the professors I had throughout the semester were amazing and an invaluable source of support whenever I needed help or had questions about the program. If you do decide to go abroad, IES and Rome specifically were amazing!!! If you choose IES, say hi to Gianni Ponti, he is the best resource if you have any issues or just want to talk!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I was extremely lucky and I was able to see the pope in Vatican City! It was amazing
Victoria

Once in a Lifetime Experience

Studying abroad in Rome through IES was a once in a lifetime experience. I owe a large part my incredible time to IES and specifically the wonderful staff and students of this program. Before even leaving for abroad IES was there every step of the way to ensure I was prepared for my departure. From the second you land in Rome they are there for you, literally picking you up at the airport. They do everything they can to make sure you are comfortable, safe, and immersed by holding a week long orientation and approachable, friendly staff. The program offers multiple social/cultural events throughout the semester and each class has numerous field studies into the city so you are learning on site. I was able to participate in cooking classes, historical site visits, and more. One of the best parts is that you are living and taking classes in the center of the city, with everything from the colosseum to the Vatican in walking distance. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat!

My best advice to students on this program would be to make sure to explore and understand the city and country you’re in! The rest of Europe is extremely accessible and definitely travel to other countries if you can, but don’t forget about the one you’re in that is dense in history, culture, art, and food!
Justine

Amazing Experience Abroad

I loved my experience with IES. Starting out, they are super great about guiding you and making packing, logistics, and arrival as stress-free as possible. They pick you up at the airport, take you to your housing, and give you a week of orientation where they tell you everything you need to know. They make you feel 100% safe in your new home. They are also amazing about housing. The staff goes out of its way to pair you with people they think you will actually get along with. So don't get freaked out about having random roommates, cause they for sure will not be completely random. If you don't speak Italian, but are thinking of doing a homestay instead of an apartment, IES has also got your back. Almost all of their homestay moms speak English, so you'll be fine! IES also has awesome cultural excursions they plan for you, in addition to really interesting classes.

The professors could be more available in person. IES could also offer more pre-planned overnight trips.
Alexander

Great Term in Rome!

I attended IES Rome’s Fall program and had a fantastic time. I had the opportunity to enrich myself with an engaging and relevant academic curriculum and also participate in numerous cultural experiences. These experiences include those orchestrated by the IES program as well as things I did independently with both the American and Italian friends I met through the program. Housing was provided in the cost, as well as spacious, regularly cleaned, and well located. The classes were admittedly less rigorous than those I was accustomed to at my US university, but were nevertheless enjoyable, interesting, and took advantage of the program’s location to incorporate excursions to relevant sites around Rome and Italy. For example, I studied Classical Roman architecture in the ruins of the Roman Forum and Renaissance art at Florence’s Uffizi, both with program classes. They were certainly a highlight of the academics. The professors and other staff were almost entirely Italians with very good English skills. Language was never a problem in class. Furthermore, they were universally approachable and friendly. Professors would recommend the best restaurants and bars to us. The language instruction was also of high quality. I went in knowing next to no Italian, but I left with a decent level of proficiency. The program housed many of its students, including those of us in my apartment, with local Italian students. This was probably the best part of the program. In making friends with my Italian roommate, I was exposed to a host of cultural events, attitudes, and quirks that would be otherwise inaccessible. Additionally, it really helped my Italian skills. Today, when I keep in touch with my old roommate, we can speak in Italian. This was radically different than being a tourist or a simple visitor. With this program, I was able to live in Italy like a true Italian!

Olivia

An Abundant Amount of Opportunities

Studying abroad in Rome, Italy was hands-down one of the best decisions that I have made. Rome is a city rich in history and there will never be a shortage of things to do. I had amazing roommates and my apartment was located in the perfect location. While walking to and from class everyday, I walked by the 2,000 year old Pantheon where I could stop and sip on a cappuccino or enjoy a scoop of gelato. The classes were engaging and allowed us to use the whole city as a classroom instead of learning about it through a projection on a screen. There is never a shortage of things to do, you can try a new spot for aperitivo with friends, take one of the cooking classes offered through the program, or catch an AS Roma game in the Olympic Stadium. Rome is the perfect location for anyone who loves history, food, coffee, art, and wants to learn Italian. I enjoyed not having classes on Friday, this gave me the opportunity to travel more throughout Italy as well as other countries.