IES Abroad Rome - Study Rome: Language & Area Studies

IES Abroad Rome - Study Rome: Language & Area Studies

No matter what your level of Italian language proficiency, this program is for you. Students enroll in an Italian language course and choose from a variety of other courses, taught in both English and Italian.

Rome will be your classroom. Can you imagine places like the Vatican, Pantheon, the Forum, or the Coliseum being part of your education? Welcome to study abroad! Wherever possible our courses take advantage of the city’s many opportunities through a series of course-related field studies to many historical, artistic, and cultural sites.

You can also enroll in courses at a local university, where you will experience first-hand the Italian educational system. Maybe you’ll even make some Italian friends while you’re at it.

Europe » Italy » Rome

Alessandra
New York
Wheaton College

A Fulfilling Study Abroad Experience

I knew from the moment I went to college I wanted to study abroad in Rome, Italy for the academic year. IES Abroad Rome allowed me to fulfill that dream and experience the best that Rome had to offer. Every professor in this program is extremely passionate about what they teach and the weekly field studies for classes really allowed me to learn about art and culture within its context; a unique experience I will always treasure. In addition, IES is very accommodating to the needs of the students. For example, I wanted to participate in an internship in a gallery, but I also wanted take a painting class at RUFA (a local art university in Rome), and IES was very helpful in making that happen. While the academics were not very vigorous, this allowed for time and energy to immerse myself in the culture and really take advantage of what Rome had to offer.

Marissa
4 months old
Johns Hopkins University

My IES rome Spring 2017 Experience

I participated in the IES Abroad Rome - Language & Area Studies program during the Spring of 2017. I lived in an apartment, took classes in economics, art history, political science and Italian and immensely enjoyed traveling through Europe and exploring the city of Rome! I took Intensive Italian, which really enhanced by language skills and enabled me to be conversational in Italian by the end of the term. The IES Program instructors are engaging and passionate. I also traveled extensively during my time abroad—I went to 22 European cities and 14 countries! IES allows for a Monday - Thursday class schedule, with Fridays off - this structure is fantastic since it provides an extra day for travel or exploration of Rome. I cannot emphasize enough how amazing of an experience this spring was for me. My classes and professors were incredible, living as a Roman was truly like living a fairytale, and being immersed in the Italian culture day in and day out was an experience I will remember for the rest of my life. I would do it again and again if I could!

Jordan
Ithaca College

Undeniably Inspiring

I spent my fall semester of the year 2016 with IES Abroad Rome, and it was incredible.
There were many obstacles that I encountered immediately upon arrival. I had never travelled outside of the United States of America before, so the sense of disorientation and cultural shock was jarring and frightening. Sometimes I felt so overwhelmed that I didn't want to leave my homestay or go to school. IES had a support system for me already set in place; I could talk to professors, administrative officers, and the ever-lovable ISCs (Italian-Speaking Student Companions). They were more than faculty; they were friends and peers willing to help, whether that meant fetching some tissues or just listening and sharing stories.
The IES Abroad Rome's Program also took us on a few field trips, both around Rome and out to other Italian cities like Siena and Pompeii. While there is strengths in numbers, sometimes I wished I had gone by myself to these places. (Later on, during Fall Break, I did just that, and I did a mini tour of Central/Northern Italy). That being said, IES worked really hard to organize trips with guides able to provide a unique perspective and remarkable insights. Did you know, for example, that there's a saying among the people in Siena that says the curly-haired woman is capricious? With each curl, our tour guide explained, she changes her mind. As someone with a headful of curls, I was at first offended. Then I changed my mind.
My favorite memories from my time in Rome were made when I was either on my own or with one or two close friends. IES gave me the perfect balance of space and guidance. Students could travel anywhere, as were encouraged to do so, on the weekends and over Fall Break as long as we left our travel details with the school's administrative office. No section of the city of Rome itself was off limits though we were advised to avoid certain areas at night. These safety protocols were essential for me particularly when several earthquakes hit central Italy around the time of my stay. A few of the stronger quakes could be felt in Rome, and since I'd never experienced that before I was terrified. IES has a quick emergency response protocol, and no sooner had I felt the earthquake and found out what had happened then IES texted and emailed me to verify my location and safety. The faculty also held a program meeting to discuss earthquakes and answer any questions the students had. This made me feel safer and more confident that I was in good hands.
Cultural immersion is not, I've decided, something that any school or program can enforce. IES gave me all of the tools - Italian language courses, social time with the ISCs, and my homestay option. I chose to take advantage of those, even though I could have only spoken to or hung out with other American students. I had only taken two Italian language classes at my home university, and that was a year before I decided to go abroad to Rome - I basically knew nothing. Upon returning, I have since tested into a junior/senior standing translation course. That improvement is something IES and I accomplished together.

Alexandra
Los Angeles
Occidental College

My Home in Rome

I studied abroad in Rome with IES Language and Area Studies during the Fall of 2016, and it was by far the best experience of my life. I lived in an apartment, just a fifteen minute walk to school, with five other abroad students and one Italian Student Companion. I absolutely loved my classes and really valued the opportunity to take classes in art, history, politics, religion, and language. We would go on field trips to amazing places, such as the Vatican Museums and the Roman Forum. Rome truly became my living and outdoor classroom as I learned so much more than I ever thought I would. I had the opportunity to travel to Tuscany with IES, where we got to wine taste, site see, and learn how to make pasta from scratch. I loved every single moment of my time in Rome, from meeting the locals, experiencing the culture, trying new and delicious foods, and to developing such strong bonds with my fellow IES classmates. I remember one day in particular where my roommate and I decided to be spontaneous and spend the day doing everything touristy in Rome. We had chocolate espressos at the coffee shop just next door to our apartment, we went to the Trevi Fountain, shopped at local stores, sampled limoncello, and had the best gelato ever near the Pantheon. It was one of the best days I have ever had, and I am so beyond grateful to have had the opportunity to see Rome from this lens. My experience with IES in Rome was unforgettable, and I would highly recommend this program to anyone looking to have a phenomenal abroad experience.

Better wifi and library upgrade needed. Also need a closer doctor to the IES center.

Kathleen
New Orleans, LA
Tulane University

Roman Around

I was nervous, like many other students, before I went abroad. When selecting a college, a big thing to me was choosing a university where many students studied abroad. I was so enthusiastic about all of it until about a week before I left. I started to panic about what I would miss at school, if I had made a mistake going abroad, what if I had no friends abroad, what if I actually hadn't been learning Italian, what if I actually hated pasta? I won't say that all of my fears immediately vanished, but over the course of the semester, I had an absurdly overwhelming positive experience that I wouldn't trade for any frat party, any experience in America, any semester. I saw things I never knew existed, things that everyone knows exist; I met people who were kind, people who were mean, people who taught me things about myself, people who taught me things about the world, people I forgot in a second, people I will never forget. The only way to get this feeling and to get these experiences is to take the plunge yourself. Trust yourself, trust your desires, get away from the things you know and out of your comfort zone. You'll thank me and yourself later.

Better absence policy; better apartment vetting; more rigorous use of local language.

Alina
Twinsburg

Rome Became My Second Home

I knew for years, even before college, that I wanted to study abroad for a semester in college. As just a freshman in college, at The College of Wooster, I decided to apply to IES Abroad's Rome program for the Spring semester of my Sophomore year. I knew Rome would be an amazing opportunity for me since I am a Classical Studies and Archaeology double major--but my experience abroad exceeded even my expectations. Through IES, I was able to live with an incredible host family who made me instantly feel at home and provided me with an unparalleled cultural immersion experience. I also was able to participate in an archaeology internship with the American Academy in Rome, which proved to be incredibly valuable to my career goals and educational experience. Additionally, through IES's classes, I learned an unbelievable amount about the city I was living in--its people, its political and cultural past, its archaeology, and more. I also was able to learn Italian at a faster pace than I could ever have done in the U.S. (something my host family also played a major role in as well). Overall, I had the most memorable experiences, learned many valuable life skills and lessons, met so many incredible people, and I would do it all over again in heartbeat. I'm mid-semester at my home institution and still I think of Rome and Italy often, but I know I'll return to the city I called home for months--it's just a matter of when and not if!

Gabriella
Merrick
Fordham University

Another place to call home

The four months that I spent studying at IES in Rome were the most unforgettable of my life. Every day I woke up in my apartment down the street from Vatican, walked across Ponte Vittorio Emanuele II, and stopped along the lungotevere at my favorite coffee spot next to school for a caffè before going to class. IES students live in two of the most beautiful quarters of Rome, Prati and Trastevere, both within walking distance of the center. The professors who teach there are all Italians who also teach at local universities; they are experts in their fields and help us make the most out of the classes with our almost weekly lessons outside the classroom. The field studies were by far my favorite part of IES. With them I got to see some of the most unique and beautiful places in Rome. Depending on your class schedules you go to government buildings, museums, charity centers, and more. Between exploring the city on my own and with the help of suggestions of places to go from IES’s weekly emails, I quickly felt that Rome was another place I can call home.

Alex
Washington, DC
George Washington University

Unforgettable Adventures in the Eternal City

Going into my semester abroad, I didn’t know what to expect. By the time I returned to the U.S., I had learned how to make pasta by hand in Tuscany, held ancient Roman artifacts in my hands, and visited 6 other countries outside of Italy, not including the Vatican, which I walked by every day on my way to class. My first week in Rome was spent getting all of the famous monuments out of the way, as by my third month Piazza Navona became just another study spot and I attended a gala in the ruins under it. Through IES, got the chance to make the extraordinary ordinary, and experience one unique adventure after another.

Shannon
Westfield, MA
Hamilton College

Life is Beautiful here, thanks to IES!

This program had it all: the freedom to travel around Europe, the ability to live with an Italian family, an inclusive and planned trip to Tuscany or Amalfi, amazing academics, but most importantly, the ability to make a difference while having a blast in la Bella Roma. I feel we became parts of the community rather than long-term tourists - we left our mark here! IES's internship program really shaped my time in Rome and helped me make an impact. I was able to get a first-hand look at the refugee crisis in Rome, through my public policy class (that had many great speakers and field trips) and my social action internship. I taught refugees English through IES, and it added such a meaningful dimension to my semester. My different IES professors were phenomenal teachers, who brought the city to us in the classroom and us out into the city on various field studies. I saw St. Peter's tomb and the underground necropolis there, I did a bike tour of Villa Borghese with my Italian class, and I visited an ethnic market in Rome's multicultural neighborhood. I never felt like I was stuck in the classroom. I also choose to live in a homestay rather than an apartment, and it was a great decision for me. I learned a lot about the Italian culture while living in the very-hopping area of Trastevere, along with other homestay students. All in all, it was a fantastic program in a breath-taking city.

Marie
Medford, New Jersey

Rome Spring 2016

My semester in Rome was incredible. Getting the opportunity to live and intern in Rome, a city I had always dreamed of visiting, was absolutely amazing. There was always something to do and another hidden treasure to find. The classes I took were interesting and actually helped to enhance my experience. There were a lot of field studies built into each class which really helped to make the class more fun and interesting. Being in Italy also made it really easy to travel to other countries. I was able to visit five other European countries while still traveling around Italy. I wish I could go back to eating incredible food and drinking fantastic wine every day. Don't ever worry about where to eat in Rome - everywhere you go has great food!

I would really have appreciated more cultural immersion. There wasn't much effort on the provider's end to help us understand and integrate into Italian culture. The Italian people and their culture is so great I just really wish my program had shown us that more.

Lauren
Natick, Massachusetts
College of William and Mary

An amazing semester in Rome

My study abroad experience was awesome. I absolutely loved my time abroad and would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I recommend IES Abroad for the student who wants to take advantage of every opportunity while abroad, because IES did an amazing job with extracurricular activities. Some of the many offerings (all at low cost!) include a 2 day pilgrimage to Assisi and the Basilica di San Francesco, cooking and baking classes, a soccer league, museum tours led by our own professors, grocery store tours, shopping excursions, pottery classes, and dinners out. These were all opportunities I would not have participated in, without such an amazing staff and program . I absolutely loved my homestay and some of my best friends that I made in the program were also in homestays, and they were located within a 5 minute walk of my home. It was awesome! i would definitely make sure to look into what classes are offered and how easy it is to get into the exact classes you want, before you choose a program. Sometimes it can be difficult to switch in due to certain classes being more popular than others. Also make sure your school will give you credit for the classes you actually end up taking!
IES Abroad made my study abroad experience truly incredible. It flew by and I can't begin to describe how much I grew and learned while abroad.

Samantha
Bethany

American Program...Italian Experience

IES Abroad truly creates an Italian experience for American students. My homestay experience fully immersed me in Italian culture at home. At school, IES Abroad's wonderful professors embraced their culture and shared it with their students. The professors at IES Abroad are laid-back, kind, and caring. They want their students to succeed academically but also culturally. They encourage us to explore Rome and enjoy our free time almost as much as they encourage diligent study. I discovered new places and learned new quirks about Italian culture thanks to my professors and the IES Abroad staff.

Caroline
Summit
Wofford College

Just a typical day in Rome?

So when I arrived in Rome it was about 5 pm and all I wanted to do was unpack and sleep... I didn't even think about what was in store as soon as I left my apartment the next morning or every day for the following 6 months! Well let me tell you about the typical day of an IES student in Rome! First, all of IES housing is in the beautiful Prati Area (basically the Upper East side of Rome)! Prati is great because you're always just about a 15 minute walk from the Vatican and St. Peter's or Castel Sant'Angelo which is right across the bridge from the IES Center! And the area behind the center is rich with history! There is the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. I am so psyched that I got to experience Rome with IES because everyday was spent among the history of Rome!... Yeah kind of geeky but, we spent most of our days studying on site... we studied the Colosseum from the site... we studied Early Christianity below Saint Peter's Basilica (literally got to see St. Peter's bones)!
During our down time, we got to take a gastronomical tour and wine tasting with IES, we had a terrace to tan or study on when we weren't in class and traveling was made easy with long weekends! You could have class in the morning at a church in Trastevere and then spend your afternoon on an Estate in Umbria (a different region)!
Looking back on my experience I wouldn't change one thing because, what was a typical day studying in Rome is a world away from a 'typical day' on any college or university campus here!

I'm so glad to have been a part of the IES Language and Areas Studies program and would recommend it to anyone who consider's studying abroad!

I think that the program could be better by offering the students more outings! During the summer session Italian professors gave walks around some of the coolest areas in Rome but during the spring semester we missed out on those!

Morgan
George Washington University

Great experience with IES in Rome

I loved my study abroad program and really appreciated all of the programming that IES put together. All of the classes incorporated visits to various cultural and historical sites, often requiring us to navigate the city on our own to get there. IES made sure that we were completely immersed in the culture of Italy, between the language requirements and the field trips to other parts of the country. I would definitely choose IES again!

Ashley
Burlington, VT
University of Vermont

beautiful Roma

The weather was much warmer than I expected so make sure you do your research and pack appropriately!!! I had a beautiful apartment in a great little neighborhood. Not being from the city I had to get used to the long walk (no car like I'm used to) to class and back but I grew to love it. There was great support and any questions or concerns I had were quickly answered. It will take you a little bit of time to get off the touristy areas--befriend the locals and take note to where they're going. My first day I got roped into a 30 euro bruschetta and bottled water, so definitely beware of tourist traps. Loved my classes and we had regular excursions to accompany what we were learning about. Rome was a good hub to the budget airlines, trains, and buses if you're interested in travelling outside of Rome or Italy. I fell in love with this city and can't wait to go back!

Sometimes it seemed a bit disorganized but I made the best of everything and just went with the flow.

Kirsten
Wallingford, PA
Ithaca College

A Perfect Day in Assisi

One day trip I went with my program was to Assisi, which is known for St. Francis of Assisi as well as St. Clare. We had an all-day private tour with a former IES Rome professor about the story of the town and the two saints. The tour was not preachy, but informative and beautifully told. We got to walk through history and time. It was in the off-season and the town was very tranquil. The best part was walking through a skinny and very long corridor to a tower in the fortress that topped the town. When I saw the view of Umbria below I actually gasped! It was a perfect day full of peace in churches that history built, wonder with the Italian countryside, and very delicious pizza.

My program provided a weekend trip that was included in the cost. I wish that trip was twice as long because though the locations were excellent, I felt rushed. In addition with trips, I felt the initial sign-up for the day-trips was chaotic.

Rebecca
New Hampshire
Providence College

La Vita è Bella a Roma

My semester in Rome was incredible, and IES Abroad played a huge role in making my journey so memorable!

I would recommend IES Rome: Language and Area Studies to anyone who is looking to participate in an internship or service opportunity abroad. It seems daunting, but IES makes it so easy to find an internship that fits you. Before even going abroad, I was contacted by an IES staff member who noted that I was interested in an internship. She wanted to learn more about my interests so she could find me a good placement. She also reviewed my resume with me. She put me in touch with a potential employer (who ended up being my future employer), who also contacted me before leaving the States. I worked in the archaeology study collection of the American Academy in Rome. I had a blast and I learned so much. I know my international work experience will be very important in my future career. Throughout the semester, IES staff contacted me to make sure I was enjoying my internship.

I also have to comment on the academics. Frankly, when going abroad, I did not have high expectations for my professors. Knowing that they only know students for one or two semesters, I expected a lack of passion. I was very, VERY wrong. IES Rome has incredible professors who are both extremely enthusiastic about their disciplines and are genuinely interested in the success of their students. I had some of my most favorite teachers and courses at IES out of my whole undergraduate career!

Of course, Rome itself is such a beautiful city. The way in which the past mingles with the present is simply not found anywhere else. I was stunned to discover that the IES center is so close to the Vatican and right across the bridge from the amazing Castel Sant’Angelo.

The study abroad experience, though only four months long, has changed me for a lifetime. I am more confident, independent and tolerant. I am more likely to see difference as beautiful. Study abroad has made me a brave and curious student.

I would ask for a better Library facility.

Kelsey

The Greatest Semester of my Life

My study aboard experience in Rome with IES was better than I ever could have imagined! During my time abroad I lived in a homestay and was also able to work for a local tour company as an intern. Both of these aspects of my time abroad were highlights for me because they allowed me to truly feel immersed in my city and it’s culture. And neither of these aspects of my trip would have been possible without IES and their great staff on site in Rome. Additionally, the classes that I took at my center were incredible. The professors were all kind, engaging, and helped me to make the most of my experience. It was truly an amazing and life changing experience. I would recommend IES Rome to anyone who is looking to study abroad!

Adrienne
Washington, D.C.
Mount Holyoke College

Abroad Sweet Abroad

I dove into my study abroad experience with little to no expectations. I wasn’t much of a traveler before studying with IES Abroad in Rome – I had been to Canada and Italy with my family before but can’t remember much about my experiences. I was too young to appreciate my surroundings, and, to be totally candid, family vacations aren’t exactly the kind of travel adventures a tween romanticizes later in life.

And so, with my limited knowledge of travel and growing knowledge of Italian culture and language in college, I decided to go to Rome and embark on my own whimsical adventure abroad.

I could tell you a million cliché phrases that encapsulate my experience abroad, so I’m just going to say this: I learned, I grew, I saw, and I lived – oh, how I lived! Every day was an adventure. I lived near the Vatican, so walking to school every day meant fighting through crowds of tourists while simultaneously drinking in the beauty of Rome on my daily passing of Saint Peter’s and the Castel Sant’Angelo. The men selling selfie-sticks on the bridge in front of the Castel began to recognize me and, eventually, the bridge became a second home where I would read between classes and meet friends for a night out. In fact, the entire city of Rome became home towards the end of my program. I was able to off-handedly identify hills, landmarks, and monuments, as well as streets and random history about the socio-political framework of the city. My daily wanderings around Rome, combined with weekend adventures, in-class lectures by brilliant professors, and my internship with an Italian film company, deepened my appreciation and knowledge of Rome – and Italy as a whole – with regards to art, culture, geography, sociology, politics, and language.

My comfort with living in Rome helped me explore places outside of the city, starting with peripheral neighborhoods like Garbatella and San Lorenzo, and eventually branching out to other regions of Italy. For spring break, I took a leap of maturity and went to Turkey and Greece with my friends, which is something tween Adrienne never saw coming. Come March, I was booking my own travels, making my own itineraries, and researching new places to explore. After my program ended, I visited different parts of England and Sicily before finally returning back to the states.

Being abroad raised my confidence to levels I never knew I could reach. Exploring, making new (amazing/lifelong) friends, immersing myself in a different culture and language, and working hard in my IES courses showed me that I am both my greatest tool and obstacle. If I choose to live in ignorance, so be it. However, if I choose to educate myself, break out of my comfort zone, and stay curious, I am unstoppable.

After studying abroad, the world has become smaller and less intimidating -- though infinitely more interesting.

The housing situation. I lived pretty far from my school (about a 25-minute walk) and my apartment was not quality. I also lived with 6 other (awesome) women in a very small space, which drove us all crazy at times. The quality of IES apartments varied dramatically among students -- while my apartment was rather crummy, some people lived in very nice housing, which I found unfair.

Madeline
New York
Fordham University

A Short Stay In An Eternal City

My IES abroad experience was one I would not trade for anything in the world. Aside from my beautiful apartment (seriously, I was shocked at just how gorgeous is was), my adorable neighborhood, my ideal location in the heart of Rome, and my awesome roommates, the IES staff both in Rome and in Chicago (where their headquarters are located) were extremely helpful and welcoming throughout both the application process and the duration of my stay in Rome. The IES center was beautiful and conveniently located just a few short minutes from the Vatican, and right along the Tiber river. My apartment was just a 20 minute walk from school (something I dreaded at first, then began to enjoy once I got there). Though the center was located it a highly touristy area, being from New York, I enjoyed the excitement and slight chaos the city offered, and although the area near school was busy, my neighborhood was cozy and quiet and very much residential; I got the best of both worlds. My classes were very different from any I would take a Fordham, and I enjoyed each one immensely and learned a great deal from each, things I would have never learned previously. Each week (usually multiple times a week) my classes would have field studies, where we would go to historical or relevant locations and learn first hands the topics we studied. I went everywhere from the Coliseum to Saint Peter's Basilica, to the Roman Ruins, even to Florence to visit the Uffizi Gallery and the Academia museum. My professors were not only passionate about their work, but engaging and helpful as well. They became more like mentors and friends than teachers and the entire IES staff made us feel like one big family despite the 90 students in the program. Additionally, there were various activities both within and outside the program we were constantly notified about, I even got to go to Easter mass at Saint Peter's and hear Pope Francis speak. I was also given the option (which I chose) to live with an Italian student companion, along with the 4 other American girls in my program. This was great because it gave us more insight into the Italian culture and someone to show us around and expose us to more places, people, and things. Overall, my experience with IES and in Rome in general was unlike any other I have ever experienced, I am extremely happy with the decision I made and I am proud to say I now consider Rome a second home to me and am excited for my next opportunity to return.

More equal housing conditions for all students.

Stephanie
Philadelphia
Villanova University

Roman Around!

I would recommend the IES – Roma Language and Area Studies to anyone that was looking to study abroad in Rome. First, I felt as though the IES staff did an excellent job of preparing me for going abroad. The website had specific instructions for everything that I needed to complete, and there was always someone there to help if I was confused or had questions, This made me feel more prepared and confident before I left the United States. Once I was there, the staff was equally as helpful. They sent emails every week letting us know of any safety issue that may occur and offering different activities throughout the week. In addition, the apartment that I lived in was great- very clean and plenty of space for 8 girls. The location that the IES Abroad center was located was extremely central. Finally, the classes that I took there were great as well. I loved being able to see and experience different things that I was learning about in class on field studies. The professors were very eager to teach their students and were very knowledgeable about the subjects they were teaching and about Rome in general. I really had a great time in Rome and it wouldn’t have been possible without IES!

I would make classes end earlier so that you have even more time to hangout around Italy after class!

Will
University of the South

Awesome

When I first decided to go abroad I was a little hesitant and here is why. I played basketball all of my life since I was a kid and was, at the time, playing for Sewanee: The University of The South, a small division three liberal arts college in Tennessee. Thus, my identity as I knew myself, was in basketball. Granted, I had joined a fraternity, and gotten involved with various groups on campus, but I was still rooted in basketball. Deciding to go abroad would cut my career short. I decided, however, struggling through a lot of prayer and thought, to go. I can honestly say that this was the best decision that I have ever made in my life. I was stretched in ways that I never knew I was capable of. I knew that if I was going to go abroad I had to go by myself because if not I would just be in the same old bubble I had been in. I wanted to stretch myself and see things about myself that I had never seen before. Hence, I decided to go to The Eternal City of Rome (mainly because I am a history major and a religion minor, I will readily admit). When I got to Rome I was awestruck from day one. I was completely interested and immediately inquisitive about this place and what it had to offer to me—because as one can easily see, Rome has dealt with a plethora of people all containing differing identities. I promptly decided I would let this place change me—the way I thought, the way I wandered around this life, and the ways that I was used to. Looking back I can honestly say that this place has given me things that I never thought possible of attaining. I learned to love people that were different than myself and had differing opinions on almost every topic. I learned that people everywhere are all innately attracted to happiness, and all equally impervious to suffering. I learned that basketball is not the only sport that people love. I learned to not only appreciate the differences in others, but also I became fond of my thoughts, beliefs, and values. I learned that reading a book is not the only way to learn—although I will admit it is very valuable. I learned that if you have a fear of something the best way to overcome it is to face it head-on. I was completely petrified of fights, so I sky dove through the Swiss Alps one weekend. These are just a few of the examples of what IES and study abroad has done for me. My perspective on life is completely changed and it’s something that I am very thankful for. So, in closing, I want to thank IES and all the people involved because I can truly say that my life would not be the same had it not been for study abroad. C.S. Lewis said it best: “its funny how day by day nothing changes but when you look back everything is different.” My time abroad is something that is not a four-month experience I hold in my mind, but it is a life long memory I will savor until the day that I die.

Jane
University of the South

Solid Program

Rome is an absolutely beautiful and amazing city! The center is right across from Castel Sant'Angelo and less than 10 minutes from St. Peter's. I lived in a spacious apartment about 25 minutes from the center with an Italian Student Companion and 5 other girls. I cannot recommend the ISC enough. It is so nice to live with a native Italian who understands the language and customs. They also show you the best places to get a beer and slice of pizza.
Compared to my home institution the classes were not difficult. The subject material is fascinating and many classes do weekly field trips throughout the city.
The staff is absolutely amazing. They truly care about your study abroad experience and are some of the nicest people I have ever met.
I loved my time abroad and cannot wait to go back.

My other roommates were less than desirable. This is a bit tricky to improve, but I think prospective participants should be aware that not everyone makes life long friends while abroad and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Jessie
Mill Valley, CA
Occidental College

IES Rome: Hands-on Learning

My favorite thing about doing IES Rome was going on field studies during class time. These involved trips to museums, archaeological sites, monuments, and even villas. Seeing Rome first-hand was incredible and this made the experience unique compared to other programs around the world. The professors were incredibly passionate about their classes, and went above and beyond to make our time in Rome the best it could be. For example, in my Forma Urbis (Roman Archaeology) class, Prof Gianni Ponti spent the semester getting special permission from the Roman Department of Antiquities so our class could visit the excavation of the Imperial Fora. This was an incredible supplement to the already engaging class, and it was these little parts of the program that made it such an amazing learning opportunity.

The staff at the IES center could have been more organized when it came to issues in our classrooms/apartments/etc. Although they assured us things would be changed quickly, there often wasn't an incredible amount of follow-up on issues voiced. That being said, they are all very polite and make you feel safe in the IES center.

Annie
Washington, DC

Loved Rome

This program and the location were perfect. The city is huge--it took about a month to even feel like I could step off the beaten track. Countless neighborhoods and ancient sites made each day an adventure. The Italian student companion program at IES was invaluable. My Italian roommate showed me around, helped me communicate at an Italian hair salon in the midst of a home hair dye disaster, and was a great friend (still is even after the program ended). The people on the program were open and friendly and up for any adventures I dragged them on. The weekend trip through the program was amazing and one that I would not have had without the school. We spent a weekend driving through the Tuscan countryside, learned to make pasta, and drank tons of wine at a local vineyard. The friends I made in Italy, the experiences I had each day exploring the Ghetto, Trastevere, Castel Sant'Angelo, Piazza Navona, Testaccio, etc., and the confidence I gained getting to know the city are all things I'll never forget. Going abroad was invaluable, but it was the little day-to-day triumphs and mishaps (correctly giving directions in Italian or taking the wrong bus) that made the experience unforgettable.

At times, you had to go out of your way to engage with local culture and get out of your comfort zone. The program might have offered more options to explore new neighborhoods or visit off-the-beaten-path sites so that students could make the most of their time.

Maria
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Bella Roma!

I had an AMAZING experience with IES Abroad Rome. It seriously was life changing and I became such a stronger and more independent person because of it. I lived in an apartment with an ISC (Italian Student Companion) and six other American girls. These girls are still some of my best friends today and we continually plan to meet up to see each other. The center itself was beautiful and the instructors were very knowledgeable. The classes were so interesting and I loved going on field studies every week to see the city and learn about the history and art of Rome. My favorite part about IES Abroad is that you are truly able to immerse yourself into the culture as much or as little as you want. If you want to increase your Italian language skills, you can take higher levels of Italian and can even take courses at local Italian universities. If you want to participate in cooking activities or olive oil tastings, you can sign up for that. It truly was a great experience and I'm looking forward to the day I return to Rome and reunite with my IES Abroad classmates!

Well, I think this program is pretty perfect, but if I had to add anything I would add more frequent cultural activities (cooking classes, etc.) because the lists for them always fill up very fast!

Dominique
Philadelphia, PA
Haverford College

In Bocca al Lupo

Italians say "in bocca al lupo" when wishing someone good luck. The most literal translation is "in the mouth of a wolf." My study abroad experience can be captured in this small phrase. The four months I spent in Rome were about getting outside of my comfort zone, experiencing new things, and embracing a new culture and lifestyle. As part of my daily life in Rome, I was fortunate to have participated in a social action program. I was placed as an English TA at a local high school, where I was able to meet dozens of kind and passionate students, some of whom have become my lifelong friends. This challenging experience allowed me to form wonderful relationships of reciprocity, which made it that much harder to leave Rome at the end of my study abroad program. Rome is truly the most beautiful city, rich with history, and full of adventure. If you find yourself there, embrace every moment, because I guarantee that your experience will leave you with a renewed perspective and passion for life. In bocca al lupo!

I wish my program would have gotten tickets to local events for students!

Peter

Amazing time!

Amazing program in an amazing city! Highly recommend going to Rome with IES as the staff knows everything and the living situation is so much fun! So much to do in Rome as well as weekend trips to other cities.

Luke

The Happiest Months of my Life

IES Roma is truly a fantastic program that enabled me to enjoy an amazing experience in the Eternal City. The location (about a 5 minute walk from the Vatican!) is perfectly nestled right along the Tiber River in the historic center of the city. The classes were engaging and relevant, but not over-burdensome in terms of workload; in other words don't expect blow-off classes, but I never felt overwhelmed or unable to take weekend trips due to classwork. Additionally field trips are never lacking as professors will take you to museums, landmarks, and other spots of intrigue on a weekly basis. The city is confusing to navigate, a little dirty, and public transportation is a mess but is generally unnecessary as almost everything worth seeing is relatively close. The program also does a great job of keeping you informed regardless of the occasion. Their are tons of extracurriculars as well, which were great ways to bond with my fellow students outside of the classroom. I played in a soccer league, participated in cooking classes, and dined with my classmates in some of Rome's renowned restaurants at a subsidized cost. The administration is very nice and helpful and they maintain a good balance between keeping you safe and not holding your hand as you experience your semester in a foreign location. I look back on my all-too-brief time in Rome with a fondness beyond words. While the city of Rome in itself is an incredible place overflowing with beauty and history that couldn't help but amaze everyone that has the fortune to visit, I strongly believe that IES is a special program that helped me relish and experience Rome to its fullest.

I guess I would tweak the classes a little bit. Due to the relatively small size of the program there are limited time slots for classes, making it difficult to take all the classes you want. Also the attendance policies are pretty strict.

Cassandra
State College, PA
Pennsylvania State University

An Incredible Experience

I absolutely loved my study abroad experience and highly recommend the program IES Roma. I had an apartment in Rome with 4 other girls and it was perfect sized! Although the hot water didn't always work and there wasn't air conditioning I really felt like I was living like a true Roman. You get used to it pretty quickly and realize that it doesn't really matter because her, I'm in Rome! I recommend signing up to live with an Italian Student Companion (ISC) because they introduce you to their friends and can take you to local bars and places to eat that they normally go to with their friends. The ISCs are also our age and are students at the local universities of Rome so they become just another one of the friends that you become so close with while abroad! You learn a lot of great recipes from them as well and most times you get to meet their families! They also really help you figure out the metro and the bus system which is super helpful especially when you first arrive. All of the classes that I took abroad were so interesting and I learned so much about Rome and it's history. I recommend taking any class that has field studies because that way you get to experience museums and other sites that you wouldn't normally get to on your own! The field trips through IES are great and I highly recommend the one to Tuscany. All of the staff was really helpful and I always felt comfortable asking them questions. They definitely made us feel safe in Rome.

IES Abroad offers 140 programs worldwide for college students. We are a highly charged force of study abroad enthusiasts. Every day we have the privilege of witnessing how study abroad changes our students’ lives. We also believe that every student should have the opportunity to