• England
    • London
Term
Academic Year, Fall, Spring, Summer
Art History Business Communications Cultural Studies Economics Film Finance Health Sciences History International Business International Relations Literature Marketing Political Science Psychology Public Health Public Relations Sociology Theater Women's Studies +10

Program Details

What's Not Included
Airfare Visa
May 09, 2021
Feb 11, 2021

Study abroad in London and discover all that this world-class, multi-cultural city has to offer.

Choose from dozens of IES Abroad courses taught by expert local faculty at our Center, as well as a course at one of our prestigious local partner universities—City, University of London or Queen Mary, University of London. Not only are there hundreds of courses and disciplines available through our partner universities, but you also have the chance to make local British and international friends.

Take the tube to class, visit the food markets, attend a football match with your new friends, or enjoy a theatre performance in London’s historic West End. London has it all, making it one of the best places to study abroad.

Program Highlights

• Diverse culture and a large population only adds to the illustrious atmosphere of the city
  • Optional and unique field-trips included with almost every program to help each student increase their understanding of the subject in exciting ways
  • Travel freely around the city and visit locations like the Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, the Houses of Parliament and so much more

IES Abroad Scholarships

IES Abroad Scholarships and Financial Aid

As far as we're concerned, financial limitations shouldn't prevent you from studying abroad with us. That's why we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and aid.

$500 - $5,000

Popular Programs

Group of students standing in front of Big Ben

Explore the global impact of Britain on Western culture, including art, literature, and financial and political systems. Visit some of the city’s many museums and art galleries, including the British Museum (a two-minute walk from our Center!), the National Gallery, and the Tate Galleries. Learn about the city’s history from your world-class professors and then visit London’s three UNESCO World Heritage sites: the Tower of London, Westminster Palace, and Kew’s Royal Botanic Gardens.

students posing for a picture with health care workers at a Child Guidance Clinic

Don’t just learn about health care in a classroom—immerse yourself through theory and practice in compelling public health issues in London, Oxford, and Kingston, Jamaica, that are affecting local communities, countries, and the global population right now. Through our program, you discover the different perspectives, challenges, and needs of diverse populations in London and Kingston with a once-in-a-lifetime service learning and practicum opportunity.

students on stage rehearsing in London

Engage in Britain’s rich historical and contemporary theatrical tradition through theater and drama courses. In your core curriculum, you analyze the artistic, financial, and professional structures that influence theater in Britain, with an emphasis on London. You also examine key texts and performances within the relevant historical and cultural context and delve into theater criticism, reception theory, dramaturgy, and stage design.

student in a parade crowd holding two Union Jack flags

The IES Abroad UK Today Program provides you with the opportunity to explore the vibrant culture and rich heritage of contemporary London. We offer a unique academic experience, integrating field study into virtually all courses to maximize the many opportunities for learning that London presents.

• 9-10 rating 92.71%
  • 7-8 rating 7.29%
Julia

Despite an Abrupt Leave due to COVID-19, THE BEST EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE

I absolutely loved my time in the IES Study London program. We had a large group of students from so many different universities in the United States so we were able to make friends from all over the country with all different majors, life experiences, perspectives, beliefs, passions, etc. If that scares you, the class sizes were nice and small where you could establish real relationships with fellow students and your professors. I absolutely loved the classes I took and the professors were truly so good at using your time in London to your advantage!

On top of that amazing aspect, we were in the hub of London and I personally stayed right up the street from Kings Cross Station at Chapter Kings Cross which I would recommend 10 out of 10 times to anyone doing this program. You could choose to take a quick tube ride to the IES Center (where classes were) or it was also an easy walk through some cute areas of London. I personally chose the walking route because that was more reliable in terms of time, plus I got to see the most adorable little streets. Chapter was such a great choice because so many other students in the program lived there (there are two other living options) and I loved seeing familiar faces in the lobby, elevators, halls and kitchens.

I have made some amazing friends through this program and I only got two months and had to leave somewhat abruptly due to COVID-19 shutting down the world. I wouldn't trade this experience or program for the world and mean it in the most sincere way that you should do IES Study London. From the super helpful staff to the amazing classes and professors and everything thing in between, DO IT and DO IT NOW!

What was your funniest moment?
I did IES Study London the year of the pandemic so that was fun! I would not regret a single moment of my time abroad, but man do I wish I had more time with this program because it was THAT life changing.
Riley

All the World's a Stage

My experience in the IES London Theatre Studies program was nothing short of life-changing. As a theatre student, I needed to make sure that wherever I studied abroad was preparing me for my future career. London was the place that I could live and work surrounded by the industry that I am studying and IES Abroad was the perfect way for me to do this. Academically, I got loads of hands-on practical experience by attending productions, going backstage and doing workshops with professional artists working in London. I would recommend this program to anyone interested in the entertainment industry or the performing arts in general. On top of academics, the IES community will always hold a special place in my heart. The administrations genuinely cares about the well-being of their students and I felt like I could personally connect with them. I wasn't just a number in the program, I was treated as a complete human being and was given a community that helped me thrive and live up to the best of my potential. After returning home, I am confident that London is somewhereI would love to move to long-term after graduation, and I wouldn't have realized that if it weren't for my semester studying abroad with IES.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I saw 34 plays in London over the course of 3 months!
Savannah

How to Grow as a Human in One Simple Step

Step 1: Go. And don't look back.

I grew so much as a human and performer (which is what I was studying) in my time abroad. I had the entire world, culturally and artistically, at my fingertips. Each weekend I would sit with my friends, over a full potluck we cooked together at only 19 or 20 years old, and decide whether or not we wanted to go see 3 shows on the West End this weekend, or go to France and try escargot and fine wine. To put it simply, the availability to extend myself whichever way I wanted, grew me. The opportunities to be around some of the best theatre in the world, grew me. Making my own choices and handling my own responsibilities halfway across the world, grew me. I would recommend this program to anyone who has anxiety, or is bad at decision making. This will shake these things out of you, or at least help to, in the most rewarding way.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have never slept in so I could do more stuff!!!
Kyle

I Left my Heart in London!

My time with IES Abroad in London was an absolutely and unbelievably rewarding experience. First of all, I was not expecting to enjoy the classes I took as much as I did, but I swiftly fell in love with the curriculum and educators. Among my courses, two that stood out were British Youth Culture with Richard Weight and Architecture of London with Jon Wright. These two educators are incredibly intuitive, experienced, and above all caring. I am pleased to say that my academic performance was one of my best during my time abroad. I felt challenged, but embraced by all of the educators and staff at IES London. My housing, located in King’s Cross allowed for ease of travel to other parts of Europe, leading me to travel to 17 cities in 7 countries. While I was able to travel to places I’ve always wanted to go, I truly believe that I left my heart in London. A city with an abundance of culture, educational values, and above all good times. I am forever grateful for the time I spent in London and will absolutely be back. But while I wait, I want to recommend London and especially IES Abroad to expand your horizons and have the best months of your life!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Although I was able to travel to cities I have always wanted to go to, I wish I would’ve spent even more time in London to fall even deeper in love!
Travis

England Forever Friends

Maybe it was our enthusiasm because we were in a new country. Maybe it was positive energy established and maintained by faculty and administration at IES London. Nonetheless, I have never felt such strong connections be formed so fast. Within days I made friends that quickly became forever friends. Some came with me from my home college whereas others I met for the first time while abroad. Some were even residents of England and other countries across Europe and even the world. Despite all that, I spent so much time, shared so many experiences and felt so much love from each and everyone of these beautiful people. In fact, I am still in contact to this very day with all of them. We can speak everyday or once a week, once a month even and the genuine love and affection built during our time with in London does not waiver. I would have never come across the wonderful people I did without IES London.

I would improve the communication between the dormitory, IES and the students. Move out was a bit hectic because information was either not clear or incorrect and changed often.
Liv

Lovin' the city livin'

When I was applying to university, I remember telling anyone who would listen that I would under no circumstances live in a big city. Needless to say, when I announced to my friends and family that I would be living in London for nearly 5 months during my sophomore year, everyone had their doubts (including me at times!). I am so glad that I took the leap. Even though London is so large and teeming with life, the community atmosphere at our IES center in Holborn made the city feel less daunting. Getting to live and study in the same city as Shakespeare and Chaucer changed my life for the better and gave me a deeper understanding and appreciation of their works. I would recommend IES London to anyone, especially if you have never considered living in a city before.

Don't let the rainy weather keep you inside! Some of my favorite memories happened either during or immediately after a nice rain shower.
Kelsie

I love this program!

After being back in the States for almost four months, I am still continuing to rave over my study abroad program. I loved IES and everything they had to offer. The London center was phenomenal-professors, staff, location.

All of the classes that I chose to take gave us a chance to be immersed into the London culture, with field trips to art and history museums, walking tours of the various London neighborhoods, and theatre performances. All of my professors were knowledgeable in their fields, and I learned a lot from them.

The staff at the IES Center were always very friendly and helpful. I was a part of the running and yoga clubs, and got to know some of the staff members because of it. These extra-curricular opportunities not only continued to allow us to get to know London better, but it allowed us to get to know the people we were studying with, and showed us that the staff at the center weren't just there as staff. They were there to help make our study abroad experience the best it could be! And when I got sick during our exam week, I was able to get into see a doctor immediately, and everyone-staff and professors-were extremely accommodating.

I always felt safe in London too. My apartment was in a great neighborhood, with only a twenty minute bus ride to most of the iconic London places. All of the housing locations were close to each other too, which made visiting friends even easier.

IES Study London was a fantastic program that I am always going to recommend. It made my study abroad experience what it was, and I am forever thankful for that.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I tried an oyster at Borough Market, thanks to the coaxing of my friends. I will admit, I was not a huge fan of it, but I'm glad I tried it.
Claudia

Study Abroad Changed My Life

When I left for my study abroad program, I had no expectations. I had never been to Europe before and as excited as I was to embark on this journey, it was hard to believe that I would be living in a foreign country for four months. But I did, and I absolutely loved it. I used to think it was cliché when someone would tell me that studying abroad would change my life, but after my experience with the IES Study London Program, I can honestly say that it did. Not only was our housing situation fantastic, and complete with all of the amenities one could need, but the staff was also brilliant! I can genuinely say I have never enjoyed going to class more than I did while in London. The classes are all fairly small and the professors really take the time to help you better understand the culture you are living in. Our academic advisors were also amazing and got to know each of us on a personal level. This made the transition very smooth, and it made me feel as though I had a group of English friends from the start. All of the class trips were very fun and educational, and it allowed for students to affordably travel around the United Kingdom. Although IES gave us a great deal of support, they also gave us the time to explore London on our own and truly become immersed in the culture. This was the best of studying abroad, in my opinion. When I say that this program changed my life for the better, I truly mean it. Going on this adventure not only gave me a new perspective on the world, and my life, but it also gave me friendships that will last a lifetime. Experiencing a new city, and a new culture, gave me a newfound confidence and showed me how much this world has to offer, outside of college. I truly had the best time, and I would recommend this program to anyone who is considering studying abroad.

More community involvement for students. More pre-departure information.