IBS Summer China: Beijing & Shanghai

The best sushi I have ever had!
The Bund at night during a boat tour
Rickshaw tour through the Hutongs in Beijing
Chinese Subway
The Great Wall
IBS Summer China 2017: Protecting the Great Wall from the invaders!
IBS Summer China 2017: Protecting the Great Wall from the invaders!
IBS Summer China 2017: Scenic Suzhou with the Parasol Gang
IBS Summer China 2017: Scenic Suzhou with the Parasol Gang
IBS Summer China 2016 visit to Tiananmen Square in Beijing
IBS Summer China 2016 visit to Tiananmen Square in Beijing

Summer China seminar is packed with incredible opportunities for both undergraduate and graduate students looking to expand their international business education outside of the traditional classroom. While traveling abroad, students will learn about Chinese culture, history, customs, politics, and international business practices while observing how these business practices differentiate from the United States.

International Business Seminars (IBS) programs provide a variety of unique opportunities:

Network with business executives by visiting global companies to learn about how business is conducted and the challenges that come from running a multi-national organization.

Earn university credit while applying the knowledge you've learned in the classroom to real-life business settings.

Gain a competitive advantage for your career by experiencing international policies, political climates, and international business environments while building confidence.

• View international business practices in a variety of industries, including: finance, marketing, economics, and more
  • Experience cultural activities, free time to explore, and a variety of outdoor excursions
  • Participate in city tours to see the most well-known attractions, including The Great Wall, the Forbidden City, and more
  • Learn from business executives at global companies such as the US Embassy Beijing, Lenovo, and more
  • Stay in 4-star hotels with front-lobby security

Amanda

Great Trip!

IBS did a great job getting us in with companies that not only provided a lot of information on business/living in China, but with people who are clearly passionate about their jobs and open to speaking to students. They also did a great job planning out tours for us and providing information and recommendations for us to do on our free day. The staff with us also did a great job at keeping us informed on any schedule changes and made sure to communicate them with us during the trip. I also enjoyed that they made sure we would have an afternoon free on days of company visits so we could still explore the cities later in the day. The staff at IBS did an amazing job at working with a group of us when our flight got canceled and helped us keep track of our luggage and even make a schedule change so we wouldn't miss a company visit. All in all, a fun trip and a great experience.

I would've like to have a full free day in Beijing like we did Shanghai. I also felt we probably could've been out there for a few more days.
Lexie

Amazing Experience in an Amazing Place!

The 11 day trip allows you enough time to get used to being a new country but not so long that you have to give up responsibilities at home. Having a full-time job makes other study abroad opportunities too difficult to make work. IBS offers shorter trips that allow you to learn and also become a great traveler. Its also great being thrown into a new environment with people you don't really know and making friendships and bonds with new people. Its also great that there is time to have our own time and also group activities. The activities that are provided show the rich history of China that many travelers aren't aware of. The hotel accommodations are also wonderful. You have the freedom to do things on your own or with friends you've made.

I would add another city, I know they said they used to do it but I think that adding a lower tier city would help to really show how different China really is. Being in 2 big cities you forget that most of China isn't like that expect when you're on the train and see all the farm land.
Amanda

An experience you cannot get without IBS!

For someone to go to China, they would need to purchase a plane ticket and a hotel reservation. They would have to do a search for tourist hotspots, and maybe even talk to someone who has recently been to China for tips on great places to see. While this would surely be an amazing experience, it would be pale in comparison to what IBS offers students.

IBS took care of the flights, hotel stays, and ensured we were at a hotel with great safety ratings, internet for those important messages back home to Mom, and free breakfast every morning. Any travel company can do this for you, but what they cannot do is put you in contact with high-level managers from global companies (Earnst & Young, Coca-Cola, and Lenovo to name a few) and allow you to tour these companies and see what a variety of "typical" businesses in China are like. One gentleman we spoke to even extended internship offers in his company to American students who were willing to stay in China the following year and teach English to young Chinese students.

They not only gave the students the opportunity to see and ask questions to nine Chinese businesses, but offered daily tour opportunities during free time at a discounted rate (so we could also have the "tourist experience" in addition to the business experience).

I highly recommend IBS Trips due to their organization, safety, and once-in-a-lifetime opportunities!

I do wish it was longer because it was so amazing, but the 11-day trip offered affordability and I was able to go without quitting my job or subleasing my apartment in the US and without those two qualities I would not have been able to go at all.
Leanna

Experience of a Lifetime

The Summer China program was a great way to get your feet wet when it comes to Asian culture. Through this program we traveled to Beijing and Shanghai, as well as the Great Wall, Tiananmen Square, the Forbidden City, and more. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the cities, learning about a different culture, and meeting business leaders from around the world. Wandering through Shanghai was an experience I'll never forget. I can't wait to go back in the future!

About International Business Seminars

Since 1976, International Business Seminars (IBS) has operated over 570 individual seminars taking more than 25,000 students to Europe and Asia on an experiential learning experience that has its focus outside of the classroom, unlike many other...