Go Abroad China | Study at Top Universities and Learn Chinese

Go Abroad China | Study at Top Universities and Learn Chinese

By Go Abroad China Reviewer Verified Badge   Reviews (42)   91% Rating

The GAC Learn Chinese in China program is designed to help you improve your Chinese proficiency and cross-cultural competency through coursework and Chinese culture interaction and engagement. We offer 1-3 months Chinese Language Programs to improve/develop your Chinese language skills and obtain Credits. Classes are conducted by the top rated Chinese universities such as BLCU, Peking University, Shanghai Jiao Tong etc. Each week students participate in 20 hours of classes including excursions and one-on-one language studies or study Chinese at GAC’s partner universities.

With the purpose to engage students in real-life situations, all of the students will live with the Chinese host family and the professional instructors really help advance the learning process in and outside the classroom through a variety of learning methods.

Learning Chinese in China will provide:
  • Support from Chinese language tutors and Chinese language instructors at all language-learning levels.
  • A variety of courses to choose from: intensive Chinese course training in GAC top universities, small group and one-on-one tutoring.
  • An understanding of real China through a language immersion and an internship in China. This provides an opportunity to gain professional working experience within Chinese companies.
Asia » China » Shanghai
*Accommodation
*International Insurance
*Transportation: Airport pickup, To and from activities
*Welcome Pack: Includes local mobile phone and orientation materials
*Orientation: Local orientation materials including city map, emergency card,taxi card, and welcome dinner
*24-Hour Assistance: Should any problems arise at any time during the program, GAC staff members will be available on call at anytime day or night
*Included: Pre-departure Support;
*Volunteer Opportunities; Computer Lab;
* Scholarships available

Rating Values

Lea
US
Boston College

Learn Chinese Program in Shanghai

My name is Lea, come from US . I have studied in Boston College for my Bachelar degree . As love Chinese very much ,so 1 gaps year to study in Shanghai . School was at an appropriate pace and the content of what we learnt could be applied to daily situations which was effective for practising Mandarin.
The accommodation and family were lovely, very accommodating and helped out a lot when I had a problem. And it is also a convenient location.
Generally, my program and life in Shanghai are excellent.
GAC servie tean is really helpfull , I will miss you all .

Ollie
Newcastle

Shanghai Jiaotong University

It was a while back when I was in Shanghai studying Chinese at Jiaotong University for the summer. My program provider was Go Abroad China who were quite accommodating because I would only be in Shanghai for two months and they literally handled everything for me: the most important which was organising my study visa, my flat in Shanghai, which I shared with 2 other flatmates and showing me which bus to take to school. Thankfully I didn't live too far away from campus and didn't even need to change bus lines or any of that. Otherwise it would have been quite a hassle to learn the different buses.
Now about my Chinese classes: I barely spoke Chinese when I first arrived in Shanghai, and my class, imagine 20 young people coming from different countries learning Mandarin from Monday to Friday - for me it was full time school in the summer! Life in Shanghai was amazing and crazy! I had so much fun living there, getting close to my flatmates and other classmates. A couple of times I also hit it up with the rest of the people in the Go Abroad China group.
I came to China as a total beginner in Chinese language, by the time I left after 2 months I could manage approximately 200 characters!

Youri
Australia

learning Chinese in Shanghai

I spent two months studying in Shanghai, it was great, sometimes tough, other times fun! I had classes Monday to Friday meaning that every week I had 20 hours of Chinese with a taichi lesson once a week usually in the afternoon. Of all the things I learnt, taichi class was always my favourite one, until I found out we would have a test and it would be graded. Surprisingly I actually didn't do bad in that test, but i also suspect my teacher was a bit lenient.

Anyway let me talk about the important classes then:
I had grammar class every morning, some days it would be followed by speaking/oral class, other days it would be reading & writing...there was a whole timetable. I must admit that my different teachers (I had 3) were generally great but like any other will not be happy with unfinished assignments or slacking in class.

I know everyone probably always says this after coming to China, but my Chinese really did improve significantly.

Fun: living in Shanghai was really great for me, I hung out with my classmates, went to the dinner organised by GAC and visited some nice spots courtesy of our guide from GAC. She was the one I always called if I needed some help with Chinese or something went wrong in the apartment etc.

Rebecca

studying at BLCU

I had a great experience with GAC and BLCU. Before coming to China I couldn't speak Mandarin at all and had in mind that it was the most difficult language ever. Now, I can have small daily conversations with Chinese people and I am so proud of myself! Those 2 months in Beijing were very interesting because I got to live with a Chinese family and experienced the real Chinese life! The family that I was living with was very comprehensive and would let me go out with my friends without any problem. The father and also the kid could speak good English. The whole family was adorable. They once invited me for a weekend to Xian. I really felt like I was part of the family and that is why I will certainly keep in touch with them!

Jack

Learning Chinese at Fudan University

I went to study in Fudan University in Shanghai for a month during the summer time. Going to China and studying there was part of my course requirements, there was a list of universities that my school already recommended and Fudan was one of them.

I checked out Go Abroad China's website a lot and finally decided to contact them to arrange everything. Everything went smoothly, I applied, got registered at Fudan University and lived in a shared apartment in Shanghai. Unfortunately I couldn't live i campus, so I had to take the metro everyday to school. I joined one of the beginner classes there and I personally noticed a lot of improvement at the end of my course.

At the end, there was an exam that tested grammar, listening, oral and I passed - I had to pass - to get all the credit points that I needed back at my university. Actually one of the reasons that I went with Go Abroad China was actually being able to get credit transfer.

As for fun city life in Shanghai? It's a normal modern city just with millions of people. There was lots to do, but I was there for such a short time that I couldn't really get into the social life.

I had a fairly good experience, so I'm satisfied.

Julia
Texas
Texas College

Learning Chinese

I actually stayed in Beijing for a really short time, just a month learning Chinese with a private tutor during the summer holidays. Learning Chinese was fun! My teacher did lessons on meeting new people, food, getting directions and stuff like that. I was a beginner and was clueless about Chinese but after that I made a decision to actually continue learning Chinese. To me, China was so interesting because it was my first time there; I learned to buy fruits and their Chinese names with my teacher out on the street; I rented a bike and we biked to a nearby park, sometimes my class would be held there or she would come to my homestay place. It was good having my own teacher, especially being taught the foundation for Chinese language which is very important. Go Abroad China was helpful in arranging the private classes for me; I hope that maybe in the future again I will be back.

Wendy
Vancouver
University of British Columbia

Going to Nanjing University

I specifically wanted to go to Nanjing University because I already had knowledge about Nanjing and my parents also wanted me to go there, so I actually chose GAC when I saw that they had a program in Nanjing. At Nanjing University, I was placed in an intermediate class because I had studied some Chinese before. I had to take a test in the beginning to find out which level would be good for me. I think when you get to the intermediate level the intensity increases from how beginners are taught. I found that I had to do a lot of revision as assignment, if you don’t review its really easy to fall back in class. But I enjoy learning Chinese and my fluency has definitely increased even though I think the characters get harder and harder to write from memory, but anyway smartphones can write in Chinese so it’s an easy reminder! For me the thing I really had to spend extra time on was word usage, I think in Chinese it has some very specific rules and patterns that you have to really remember. GAC was helpful with the preparation of coming to China and helping me enroll at Nanjing.

Hallie
USA

Going to China to learn Chinese

My experience learning Chinese? Well I got my foundation from a couple of Mandarin classes per week at university, but as part of my course I found myself needing to go to China to really focus on the language.

I ended up enrolling at the Beijing Language and Culture University, which I later learned that it is one of the best at teaching Chinese language in China. I applied through Go Abroad China; during the planning stages with them, I was drawn to the fact that they would arrange for me to get picked up from the airport, my accommodation would be prepared by them and the whole application process into BLCU was easier with someone there helping me.

I was nervous about studying away from my usual environment, BLCU had its fun times and its tough moments. The class sizes were relatively small, my classmates all foreigners there to study Chinese. I was definitely in one of the beginner classes, but I learned that they arrange different classes depending on your Chinese level. First thing that definitely stood out to me was going to class every day for around 4 -6 hours to learn Chinese, I mean back home it would be half of that per week! Now I’m not a great student but I have always managed to do what is required. At BLCU, my workload definitely increased from what I was used to, but textbooks is nothing to worry about as they will be given to you at school. I will admit that after a while I got my rhythm and started enjoying my classes. I absolutely had fun with my classmates especially with the speaking lessons, as for writing characters, it was tricky to begin with but as my teacher had shared with us, there are all sorts of tricks to use to remember them!

The environment at BLCU: I thoroughly enjoyed it. The campus is not overly large but you get to meet so many people from different countries, (occasionally a few in the same situation as I, having gone through Go Abroad China) prepare to learn about countries you have never even heard of! But seriously, I noticed a big improvement in my spoken Chinese level after a few weeks, probably from all those practice conversations we did in class almost everyday. In that sense I am really happy, my teacher was always really nice to us and made class enjoyable. If I had another chance to return to China I would definitely be back.

Yes, maybe they can more clear about providing scholarships.

Estelle
Australia

My Amazing Chinese Class!!

I learned Chinese when i was a kid, and to be honest i really like this pretty difficult language. Then when i started my university, i think maybe i can go abroad and try to learn this amazing language.Then i started search go abroad learn Chinese,and i found out Go Abroad China.They are really good.

Brett
Austrilia
Victoria University

Enjoy My international Education in China

I had a really good time in China and i was supprised at how much i learnt. The people were also really friendly and i managed to make some really good friends who i am planning to stay in touch with. The accomodation was great. The house was lovely and located in a nice area which was only 5 minutes from the underground. The rooms were cosy and clean. My hosts were very friendly and helpfu, who made me feel welcome and provided good dinners. I would like to say thank you Go Abroad China. Thanks for finding such a good host family for me.
Besides, my school teacher were entertaining and yet very efficient. The teachers were very good as was the course's content. I learned a lot and i would certainly recommend this course to my friends.

Chaimae
Morocco

A remarkable time in China

Well, finally I was standing at one of the top universities in the world—Peking university. It felt like a dream. At the first day of my study, the course was all I expected and so much more. The teachers were professional, but at the same time, you could have a laugh with them! The course material was at exactly the right level for me, bridging the gap between A Level and degree level, which I was very happy with, and we covered some interesting topics. Although my Chinese is not such good and I made lots of mistakes, my teacher was very patient with me and all the teachers and staff were very friendly. They makes me felt confident to learn Chinese well and it turns out I did doing very well now.
I stayed with a local lady and her young daughter, which is near to my university. The location was amazing and it is convenient to buy everything you need. In fact, the first pictures I took were on my balcony: there are lots of flowers planted by the lady. All in all, the accommodation was comfortable.
Besides, the friends I made in China have impacted upon me so much, and I now have holiday homes in 10 other countries! I cannot recommend Go Abroad China enough, and China as a destination as well. If you want to go, go!

Clarisse
France

Memorable Study Experience

It was very well done, everything went smoothly, even out of my expectation.
First, speaking of the support from, I had nothing to say, every step is perfect from the beginning to the moment that I had to leave China. Go Abroad China placed me in a good family. The accommodation was very fitting for me, I am glad I was placed with real Chinese people. They cooked wonderfully and were always concerned about my well being, such nice family. And speaking of my study university, I like it very much. I found it interesting how successful the teachers were at teaching to each student in China without having to translate into one's mother tongue. Also teachers were lovely and really understanding, seemed to enjoy what they were teaching and I feel like I learnt loads in a short time. Thanks again to the teachers! I am going to recommend my friends to use Go Abroad China for study abroad.

michael
Dutch
Hogeschool van Amsterdam

My Study Abroad Experience

It was a great experience. I am really satisfied with my study university—Beijing Language and Culture University. Not to mention the study environment, the class group was small enough in order to be productive. The teacher used modern and efficient methods of learning. The school also has a good reputation for teaching Chinese to foreigners. Besides, I was arranged in an excellent host family. I lived in a large rooms and the Chinese food is quite good. Oh, don’t forget the after class activities which helped me make a lot of Chinese friends.
Anyway, all of these are credited to Go Abroad China. They did a lot of favor to me. I really would like to thank for them.

Erik
dutch

Best Way to Study a Foreign Language--Total Immersion

I had never imagined my dream may come true one day. Going to China to study Chinese was a goal of mine since I was about 7 when I saw it in a movie. And now my wish is realized. Before my travelling, I did a lot of research and then Go Abroad China came to my final decision. After I contact them, they made the research, preparation, transition, and experience abroad easy and smooth. They provided all of the necessary details and logistics of going to a different country, as well as a great network of support all throughout the process. I was especially happy with the transition that Go Abroad China provided.
After arriving at one of the fastest developing country, I was really excited to see the beauty of the country. Before the registration, Go Abroad China team provided information about my study university. I really appreciate their help.
I created a short video of the beginning of my adventures in China, which will give me forever memory I ever had.
Anyway I had a very wonderful life in China. This experience makes me know better of Chinese culture and my Chinese speaking is improved significantly. Thus I created a short video of my adventures in China, which will give me forever memory I ever had.

Eleonora
USA
Yale University

My first abroad travelling --learn Chinese in China

I am a skeptical guy. Before my travelling, I did a lot of research and finally I decided to study Chinese with Go Abroad China. The experience exceeded my expectation.
After arriving at the airport, I was warmly welcomed by Go Abroad China coordinator Miss Zoe. She accompanied me to my host family. All of the family members are very friendly to me.
After two days of rest, Go Abroad China picked me up at my host family and together we go to my study school-Beijing Language and Culture University which is really a great university. After two month of studying, I was developing important social skills and learning about the Chinese culture. I'm very impressed with the school and how I have thrived there in just one year. For anyone looking into Chinese immersion in China, Go Abroad China should be seriously considered.

Brandon
Italy
City University of Seattle

My First Trip Abroad ---Study in Beijing

It was already a great start when Miss Zoe from Go Abroad China picked me up at the airport and took me around Beijing the whole day. It's good to know that you can count on somebody like her, no matter what problem you have.
Also the quality of teaching in BLCU is so much higher than what I experienced. Although I was a difficult student asking a lot of questions the teacher never lost his patience. Though a pure beginner after only two weeks I was able to write read and understand simple sentences using Chinese characters. This was so unbelievable as few days before these were just pictures to me. And the campus living conditions are great, they provide everything i need. It's great to live together with the other local students and share experiences.
During weekend, Go Abroad China team provide tourist information service fluent in English. It is great to travel and explore Beijing with other foreigners.
In general my experience was more than awesome. It was a very nice experience for me, Go Abroad China staff are very friendly and helpful people. I would like to say thank you for them

Omar
Durham University

The Best Chinese Immersion Program

I really enjoyed the time I went to Shanghai, China with Go Abroad China. The teachers are highly motivated, helpful and good at activating the students when in class. Classes are kept small so you get to practice speaking the language a lot.
Besides, the Go Abroad China Team is so helpful and warmhearted. They arranged so many fun activities during my spare time. I would strongly advise future students to make the most of their trip and be open-minded. I was able to take part in some activities arranged by Go Abroad China. We explored places I thought I never would have been able to visit. The excursions allowed me to discover new perspectives and how people from different cities can differ so much. Studying abroad is all about new experiences and trying new things. Although it may be tempting and easier to stay with the same people and find activities similar to those in my home country, it is more enlightening and exciting to completely immerse yourself in another culture. Discover how another country functions and learn their history.
For me, it met and exceeded my expectations, I can't really say how I have improved in my Chinese language and culture, I've got nothing to compare it to, I've never had an experience like this before!

casperkranenbrog
New York
American College

My Best Mandarin Study Experience with Go Aborad China in Beijing

From the beginning, there was always someone named Zoe there to answer any questions my parents or I had. They never made us feel like we were asking too many questions or the wrong questions which was very important to me. Even at my study abroad fair at my home campus the representative Miss Ada was very helpful and helped me choose the best school for me. The whole staff always went above and beyond anything that I expected. They made the experience a much more personal one which I think is important.
The orientation in Beijing was awesome! The Go Abroad China staff was so friendly and helpful while we were there and there were always fun things planned each day, not to mention the amazing hotel we stayed in!. I definitely recommend going on it because you get much closer with a smaller group of people. I became really good friends with people that went to all different schools around China which was fun because we would have them visit us or we would visit them throughout the semester.
The housing was amazing in Guomao! It was a block away from the university, and close to all the stores, bars, and restaurants. I definitely recommend Go Abroad China and I am so happy I decided to go with this program. It really made my study abroad experience a smooth and enjoyable one. I already wish I could go back!

Omodola
Bulgarian

Chinese study in Shanghai Fudan University

Studying abroad in China has changed the course of my life. I can confidently say that my study abroad experience through the Go Abroad China was the best decision I have ever made. While exploring abroad options, I initially thought China would be an unrealistic choice for me. However, after talking to people who studied abroad in the past, I knew I had to experience this for myself. The Go Abroad China made my transition to China extremely painless. Whether it be housing or credit transfers and financial questions, the Go Abroad China staff made sure to help me through every step of the way. I never felt alone or overwhelmed, and I believe it was through their guidance and support that I was able to have the most amazing semester of my life.
From the moment they pick you up at the airport to the moment they drop you off for your flight home, you can rest assured that they will be there for you. After the fact, it is truly hard to put into words how much 4 months can change your life. Having never branched away from my friends before, I made the rash decision to go alone to China. To this day, we all cherish the memories we made on the pre-semester trip, as it was our first time meeting one another. Throughout the remaining four months the countries I visited and the places I saw was absolutely incredible. The teachers in Shanghai Fudan University were lovely. The program attacked reading and speaking simultaneously and gave me a rounded experience and understanding. The intensive Chinese program is a great way to learn Chinese and get an understanding of the fundamental structure of the language. Whether it be local famous scenic spots, or activities held by Go Abroad China team or my Chinese friends, each day was better than the next. If you are thinking of studying abroad this experience is BEYOND COMPARABLE. No matter the obstacle, Go Abroad China staff will help you along the way and I promise you will have the most incredible four months of your life!

Elke
Netherlands

One-one tutoring Chinese study with Go Abroad China

Actually, going abroad was a last second decision for me but right off of the bat, Go Abroad China was there helping me along. Go Abroad China was extremely helpful throughout my whole process. With only a few days left before application deadlines, they quickly provided me with all of the information I needed to be sure that this was the right trip for me. And I could not have been more correct in my decision. On the day of my arrival, Go Abroad China offered to pick up from the airport, take me to my host family. Their accommodations to make sure you were settled in were useful for me. After they gave me a tour of the national museum, they took me to my host family. My host family's house was very well kept, clean, and most of all welcoming. My entire host family was happy to have me there and encouraged me to fully immerse myself in the culture. They tried to make my meals according to what I prefer, something not easily done in a common household in my home town.
Besides, while we were studying at our respective schools we had a resident director that stayed in close contact with us the whole time. This was very nice because whenever we had a question or something, we knew we could always go to him/her. My resident director would set up fun things for us to do together every couple of weeks, which was nice.
At the weekend I had the opportunity to complete the famous “The Bund” trip, which, although involving a little far away from where I lived, was definitely one of the best parts of my time in Shanghai. At the second weekend, when we actually made it to the West Lake, Go Abroad China blew all expectations out of the water when we arrived at our "housing". By housing I mean a classy hotel with full sized kitchens, flat screen televisions, maid service, a full sized indoor pool, an outdoor pool, and a gym. My particular room was located on the 24th floor with a balcony that overlooked the Lake. This provided for an awesome way to wind down the day and watch some of the most incredible sunsets you've ever seen.
With so many different activities planned including touring around the city and a boat ride around the harbor, it really created the perfect environment to bond with the other people on trip and get a feel for the country's city culture.
I could not have been happier with my study abroad experience. Go Abroad China has helped in everything we have done. From the time we landed in Shanghai till the farewell dinner, we had help all the way. Wow, I began to miss Shanghai again.

Go Abroad China as the leading internship abroad provider in China, over 10000 talented undergraduates, graduates and young professionals from over 50 countries have joined GAC China Internship program.

Go Abroad China provide in a wide range of sectors that include hospitality, business, trade, technology,