Learn Chinese in China at LTL Mandarin School (8 Locations)

LTL Mandarin School is a perfect fit for students who looking to improve their Mandarin quickly! Our comprehensive Chinese programs allow students to create the perfect program. You can study at LTL from as little as two weeks and up to a full year. Choose between studying in Beijing, Shanghai and even lesser-known Chengde, where you won't see a foreigner or speak a word of English. This is the jewel in the LTL crown and the reason so many students have seen such brilliant results with LTL.

Options include 1-on-1 or group classes, to maximize each students desired exposure to the language and preference of the teaching style. Internship and volunteer options are also available. Accommodation is also encouraged with carefully selected Chinese host-families to maximize each participants personal exposure to the language and culture. For all of the details on the available options, please consult the LTL website!

• Experience Full Immersion into Mandarin Language.
  • Learn from the best Chinese teachers in China.
  • Meet and make new friends from around the globe.
  • Choose from 3 brilliantly diverse locations.
  • Speak Mandarin 24/7 with your Chinese host family.

• 9-10 rating 93.33%
  • 7-8 rating 6.67%
  • Instruction 9
Sybille

LTL Mandarin School, Shanghai

A quick note to thank the amazing staff at LTL in particular teacher Kristin J , my 14 year old daughter enjoyed her classes tremendously!

She enjoyed herself so much that she's asked us to organise another trip to Shanghai for two weeks this time. She feels that her speaking mandarin has improved a lot even though she only had a week's tuition, overall the positive and welcoming attitude of the teachers was really beneficial to boost her confidence and have her practice her language skills after class in real life situations.

We cannot comment on the school organised housing as we had organised our own accommodation at a nearby hotel.

Once again, many thanks to your professional staff for making this first language trip a success.
Sybille, Singapore

Lee

5 weeks in Beijing groupclass

I stayed in Beijing for 5 Weeks to attend group class. I was surprised by how much I actually learned in that short time.
I had 4 hours of school a day and after that there was homework.
I had three different teachers and all of them were really good. They really get you involved during class so you can apply what you learn and are good at explaining. Furthermore they are open for questions and suggestions which is also a plus.
I feel like the school had a really good feeling of what I needed to learn better. For example they put my from a group with a high learning speed in one with a lower pace and a lower lessonlevel so I could learn in a more suitable speed.
All in all I am really happy I learned a lot and everyone was really nice and friendly.
I had a good time and learned more than I was expecting. In the first week I could not even order food and the last week I could understand what the teacher is saying and what people on the streets were talking about. Also I could have really simple conversation. So definitely recommend.

Carsten

Have a very unforgetable experience in China LTL school

Since fall 2015 I have now been studying Mandarin at LTL for about alltogether 30 months with my 2 teachers Alwin.
I had been studying Mandarin at both a big state university and another private school before but nothing compares to LTL!
I had pretty precise requirements when I signed up for classes at LTL: only one-to-one classes, with at least 2 different teachers, 15 hours a week at different hours during the day time and no use of text books.
None of this was a problem and this method has worked beautifully for me since the beginning.
When you have one-to-one classes you can have it exactly as you want it, concentrate on any aspect of chinese (grammar, conversational chinese, chinese characters etc. etc) you fancy.
I like having 2 different teachers who give me different input/ feedback.
I also tried a homestay in Chengde where I for 2 months stayed with a 3
generations family and had another great teacher. Highly recommendable experience!
I can only give LTL and my 2 teachers ny best and warmest recommendations.

please always open your mind and try to accept to a different culture .And you can learn more than what you expect ,and experience more special things.
Jeremy

LTL Shanghai

A fantastic school to study at located in an equally fantastic area of Shanghai. I would say that the most excellent attribute that I experienced was their flexibility. Due to my work and travel commitments, which tend to be last minute, I had numerous interruptions to my daily schedule. Dealing with LTL was a relaxing process and solutions were always easy to find. My initial 7 weeks of intensive study was spread out over almost 4 months. I personally find this kind of flexibility to be excellent.!. On from that dealing with Alex, the head of the School in Shanghai, was an easy and often fun process. Along with Dannie and Johann, and of course the excellent teachers on their rather large roster. The weekly events that were organised are an excellent chance to get an inside view of the life and history of Shanghai, whilst also giving students a great chance to further practice their Chinese language skills in real life settings. Also I found that the one on one classes were excellent and the teachers I had allowed the classes to flow organically, so we not only studied from the text book, but also discussed contemporary topics and delved into Chinese history.. Overall my experience with LTL was a positive one and I would highly recommend any student wishing to further their study into the Chinese language in Shanghai, to get in contact with LTL.!!. 谢谢

Daniela

An LTL Experience

I have been with the LTL school for 4 months. During the first month I was studying Chinese as a student. At that time I did the individual program in which I had 4 hours of Chinese every day. During this time I had the opportunity to study Chinese with 3 different teachers. They were all very well prepared. Studying with three different teachers gave me the chance to understand different points of view and learn three different teaching methods, which allowed my Chinese to improve super-quickly.

After the first month I started my internship for LTL. In this way I've been able to see both sides of the school, as a student and as a worker. Working for LTL gave me the chance to learn many new things all very useful for my career.

Also my manager was really impeccable, every day he taught me something new, making sure I was able to get by myself at the end of the day. All of this was an unforgettable experience.

During my 4 months in China I chose to stay in a Chinese homestay, it was the best choice I could make. At home I had the opportunity to talk and improve my Chinese, not to mention the homemade Chinese food that is really delicious.

I believe that the bonds I have created during this period at LTL will last a long time and that this experience will be impossible to forget.

Max
Maxi

Excellent Summer - memories to last a lifetime

I spent some time in the Summer of 2017 with LTL in Beijing learning Mandarin and the memories from that short time will last a lifetime.

The school was excellent, very relaxed and calm. A great environment to learn. My classmates, all three of them, were great company and we became good friends outside of class as well as in. Between us, we grew a strong bond with our teacher, Lucy (pictures attached below). The classes were well put together and within a short space of time my Chinese improved like I never imagined and it continues to do so to this very day.

The students and staff at the school are wonderful company and provides you with a great reason to get out of bed everyday!

I stayed with a Chinese Homestay during this time to top up my learning and try something I may never do again. What an experience. The mother, father and daughter were lovely company, so caring and thoughtful. The facilities were ideal and the food they made everyday was just sublime.

Zero negatives and memories I will cherish forevermore.

Nothing I'd say
Laura

Language Course in Beijing and Language Programme in Chengde

For two months, I visited a one-by-one language course at LTL in Beijing. I did not participate in the whole cultural programme, since my internship place already provided a place to stay. Furthermore, I also participated in the language programme in Chengde for one week.

The one-by-one language course was okay, but nothing special. During the two months, I had courses with two (male) teachers and we covered the book 'Short-term Spoken Chinese'. In my opinion, the quality of the language course can still be improved. A little more engagement and creativity from the teacher's side would have been nice. Apart from learning from the book only (which makes it a bit boring...), more creative exercises could have been applied during the course in order to better learn Chinese, for example reading a simple Chinese book or making a role play, etc. I think this engagement can be expected from a trained language teacher. I felt I did not speak sufficiently during the course, although it should be the priority that the student is engaged to speak more (at least more than the teacher).

For one week during the two months at LTL I also participated in the language programme in Chengde, which is a small town not too far from Beijing. I was told that staying at Chengde would boost my Chinese language skills - which was also true. However, in my opinion this programme is a bit overrated and too costly for the service received.
My host family was an old couple, which was pretty fine for me. They were really nice people although I would have wished that they would have integrated me more into their lives and showed more engagement. After my language course in the morning, which finished in the afternoon, I mostly came home. My hostmum would arrive at home a little later and start to cook. In the evening we watched tv together and then went to bed. It would have been nice to do more things together with them, such as joining them visit the places they go in the afternoon, or cooking together, etc. I also think for the price I payed for that week, at least the most important facilities should be provided (and it should not be needed to be stated extra), such as a shower, a bed (with a mattress - I had one but I heard of another person that slept on a wooden bed and who didn’t sleep very well) and a clean environment (often they didn’t wash the dishes properly and they were smoking a lot in the living room). Otherwise it was really interesting to see an authentic Chinese family.
Since Chengde is a quite small town, as mentioned, you rely a bit on the activities offered during the programme, in case your family is not very active. Before going to Chengde, I was interviewed by one of the LTL employees which activities I would like to do (horse riding, rafting, playing soccer, etc.). However, I was quite disappointed by the activities offered in Chengde since it turned out they were not included in the price for the Chengde programme. Zhongwen (a really active woman even though highly pregnant) tried to organize a lot but I was shocked about the huge prices. When staying longer Chengde, which is not the most interesting place on Earth, and I think I would get poor after a while if I always had to pay so much extra for every activity. The school could help to join more things that do not cost so much or even don't cost anything.

I hope those things I mentioned could be improved in the future, since I think that LTL school and also their Chengde programme has a lot potential. The outcome just needs to be more adjusted to the price and more creativity could make the stay at LTL much more interesting and fun.

Thank you.

Toby

Beijing Internship

Program: I completed a 6-month internship program with a homestay.

Experience: The internship provided me with a great opportunity to experience the dynamics of working in a commercial environment within China. I was given a board range of responsibilities, from assisting with company recruitment to reviewing company reports. Not only did this give me exposure to an array of skills that will prove useful for a future career, but it also allowed me to practice my Mandarin in a professional environment.

Homestay: The homestay was the most important aspect when it came to practicing my Chinese. Every day without fail I would communicate with my host family in Mandarin. This was initially quite daunting, but over time my Mandarin ability, along with my confidence in using the language, improved substantially.

Beijing: LTL will arrange an array of activities that will allow you to explore both the city and its surroundings. It may initially take some getting used to, but there is definitely a unique character to the city that I grew to love.