Master of Design (MDes) Design Strategies

Design Strategies specialism is for people who are established in their careers and wish to deepen and enhance their strategic thinking and methods by integrating design, business, and technology with a study of culture. It provides students with a critical understanding of design in the context of culture. The specialism has an extensive selection of electives that covers issues like globalization, design criticism, consumer culture, theories of users, branding, sustainability, Chinese traditions in modernization, and the future contexts for design, among others.

The specialism seeks to achieve these aims by learning about:
• innovation tools for strategic design
• how to analyze cultural identities
• research methods
• how to manage value creation

• Design Strategies is rated as one of the World’s Best Design Thinking Programs by BusinessWeek
  • Proximity of Hong Kong to Asia’s metropolitan areas and manufacturing base in China
  • Duration of study: not more than 1.5 years
  • Unique academic programme on design thinking and management
  • International faculty

Edwin

a good mix of learning design and business development

The course title says it all, Design Strategies. The core subjects were pretty good and allowed us to see value in design more than ever. The different design tools have also allowed me to create more design explorations more than ever in my practice.

What makes this whole experience unique and one-of-a-kind is that I am a practicing architect and have two offices in the Philippines of which I fly in between to manage both and at the same time flying back and forth Hong Kong. Imagine flying four times in a week in three different cities. And cap it with the projects we work on at school! This wasn't easy but it was very challenging and the fact that it was made me even want to push it.

Some subjects do not demand so much, others did, so it is good to ask from previous years' classmates their thoughts about the electives you wish to take so you can gauge the work load you will be expecting from work too. One should be able to balance both work and school well and not have both work and school have the same amount of work to do. Check your onward schedules and expected work load prior to deciding which subjects to take in a particular semester.

This has definitely given me a new direction in my practice and together with a new train of thought even while I was in school mid-way through. Definitely, I am expecting a good change and improvement on my practice from what I have learned from school and can definitely see a lot of applications at this point and most probably in the future.

A space I will definitely miss most is the studio provided. It has the perfect spot for you to either work on office-related stuff or down to your school work. Very conducive to such work and socialise with the rest of the classmates and student from the program in different year levels.

To see the long list of electives become available for us to consider. There are a lot of interesting electives and subjects that did not come out during my two school years of stay. The choices were limited and forced us to take whatever subjects are available to fulfil our needs to complete the required number of units to graduate. More selections would have allowed us to focus on which aspects of design we would want to explore.
Jennifer

Great Learning Experience and Cultural Immersion in Amazing Hong Kong!

Taking a master's degree in Hong Kong is one of the greatest learning experience in my life. The classes was mostly held on weekends. It was perfect for me since I can still run my business in Manila on weekdays and fly to Hong Kong on weekends for my classes. Most of the subjects were intense, but it was what I was expecting since the class is a 7-hour lecture, presentation and discussion. Professors are very approachable and accommodating. In Hong Kong, local people are very hardworking. They seem to move very fast so sometimes I tell my classmates to relax a bit. Food is really great and the place is very safe. Planning to study in Hong Kong? Be ready for an adventure of food, good friends and some home works in between.

Program can be improved by creating more time for students to be together to develop bonding and relationships. I suggest to have all students in one class on all core subjects to open up opportunity for students to develop relationships especially for overseas students who are just present during classes.

About The Hong Kong Polytechnic University - School of Design

PolyU Design has been an important hub of design education and research for Hong Kong since 1964. The School thrives on its geographical position in bridging the East and the West, allowing its students to develop their design strengths with a...