China: Mountains, Deserts, & Megacities College Study Abroad Semester
View Other Details
Engage in a semester abroad to explore this dynamic and ever-changing landscape.
Dragons College Study Abroad semester in China does more than introduce the contemporary China that is seen in the country’s burgeoning cities; our program takes us deep among this country’s various demographics, allowing us to learn across disparate landscapes. Strong language curriculum and a comprehensive, inter-disciplinary exploration of modern Chinese history and economic development, society, and cultural tradition are combined with travel and wilderness exploration opportunities around the country.
With a broad curriculum and an itinerary designed to explore both thriving urban centers and rural villages, our China College Study Abroad semester offers an unparalleled comprehensive overview of today’s China.
Eligible participants should have completed at least one semester of post-secondary study, be 18 years or older, and have a minimum GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale).
Video and Photos
- Minority issues and status, socio-economic issues, health, land-use and environment, tourism, human rights issues, cultural survival.
- Intensive daily Mandarin Chinese instruction, options for additional one-on-one tutoring sessions and opportunities for language immersion throughout.
- 5-6 weeks of urban home-stay in Kunming, one or two rural home-stays in Yunnan, Guizhou or Sichuan villages.
- Introduction to Buddhism, Daoism, Islam, Confucianism, Marxism, Capitalism.
- Ancient, imperial and modern history, political studies, social issues in modern China, development of market economy, gender and race studies, cultural and environmental preservation, Chinese philosophy.
Where There Be Dragons Financial Aid & 529 Funds
Where There Be Dragons offers need-based financial aid to students that demonstrate reasonable financial need and are excited to engage with communities around the world.