IPSL Colombia: Post-Conflict Studies and Afro-Caribbean Culture

COVID-19 and our societies’ reactions lay bare longstanding inequities and marginalization we must address. That's why IPSL's borders are staying OPEN! Until travel is permissible again (and it will be), IPSL Global Institute at NUNM is offering this program online. Once travel is permissible again, students may immediately shift to onsite study and service abroad.

Students will receive the same support and thought-provoking orientation and courses whether online or in person. The Community Organizing and Social Activism courses will be taught by in-country professors as are all the other elective courses. And check out this BONUS: during your online portion you can mix and match your electives taking courses of interest from multiple IPSL sites abroad!

• Guided City Tours of both Medellín & Cartagena to give students the 'Lay of the Land' and some Cultural-Historical Insight into their home base.
  • Experience Two amazing cities in One IPSL Program! Students will live in both "The City of Eternal Spring" (Medellín) AND the sunny, historic, colonial city on the edge of the Caribbean (Cartagena)!
  • Homestays in both Medellín & Cartagena enrich the student experience by giving them the opportunity to gain life-long friends, gain higher language proficiency and experience the culture from "the inside"!
  • Volunteer Service that addresses REAL human needs! Support human rights defenders & social leaders. Examine existing public policies, laws relating to human rights. Work with organizations that address Animal Welfare; Education; Displaced Persons; etc.
  • IPSL, the founder of Service-Learning, is a global education institute within the National University of Natural Medicine (NUNM.edu). They invest over 83% of their revenues directly back into the communities where they serve.
IPSL is a registered Social Benefit Organization that is committed to its mission and dedicated to promoting an ethic of service. We invest over 83% of our revenues directly back into the communities where we serve.

Sarah

Cartagena: the City of Life, Fun, and Culture

Cartagena was a life-changing trip! I was a Spanish minor with hopes for a chance at study abroad that would fit my busy nursing schedule. IPSL gave me just that and more! For a whole week, I had morning Spanish classes with Centro Catalina, a school dedicated to sharing and teaching the culture and history of Cartagena, that worked with me on my own level and pace. But I also had afternoon tour throughout the city of Cartagena guided by teachers and assistants from Centro Catalina. The whole week was dedicated to the learning of the rich culture and history of Cartagena and Colombia. But not only was I receiving so much back from this school but they also gave me a chance to give back by volunteering at a local school to help teach and play with an elementary school. It felt so rewarding when the kids had rushed over to give me the biggest hug of thanks! This trip showed me not only to step away from my comfort zones but to dive right in to experience a culture entirely different from own here in the US. This study abroad was definitely a once in a lifetime trip!

Response from IPSL Global Institute at NUNM

Dear Sarah...we are so glad that you enjoyed your IPSL Faculty-Led experience! We try to put as much into a short-program as we can and we're happy that you found your time in Cartagena so rewarding (& not absolutely exhausting!). We thank you for your kind words and being a part of the IPSL experience!