ISA Study Abroad in Barranquilla, Colombia

Fútbol in Colombia (photo taken by Emily Useche ISA alumn Spring 2013)
Fútbol in Colombia (photo taken by Emily Useche ISA alumn Spring 2013)
ISA Colombia students on excursion to Tayrona National Park
ISA and International Students at the Plaza San Nicolás in Barranquilla
ISA and International Students at the Plaza San Nicolás in Barranquilla
Photo of Carnaval Performer taken by ISA Barranquilla student Halle Prentice
Photo of Carnaval Performer taken by ISA Barranquilla student Halle Prentice
Street vendors in Colombia (photo taken by Emily Useche ISA alumn Spring 2013)
Street vendors in Colombia (photo taken by Emily Useche ISA alumn Spring 2013)
Carnival in Colombia
Carnival in Colombia

Study abroad with ISA in Barranquilla, Colombia!

Barranquilla (population approx. 2 million), is situated along the Magdalena River in northern Colombia in the country's tropical and vibrant Caribbean Coast. The city is known as the "Golden Gate to Colombia" and is a fun-loving but hardworking, cosmopolitan port city. Barranquilla is primarily known for its UNESCO recognized spring Carnaval celebrations as well as the salsa, cumbia and merengue music and dance that fill the city year-round.

While studying at one of the best universities in the Caribbean region, the ABET accredited Universidad del Norte, students will have the opportunity to learn Spanish, take courses with locals, and quickly become a local Barranquillero themselves. Check out our website for more information!

ISA Scholarships
ISA Scholarships and Financial Aid

ISA is committed to increasing all students’ access to study abroad’s many benefits. We don't let financial hardships to get in the way of a life changing educational experience.

$350 - $2,000

Olivia

An Adventure of a Lifetime

When I landed in Barranquilla it instantly felt like coming home. Colombians are some of the friendliest people I have ever met. There were so many times where I was struggling to communicate/find something and they didn’t hesitate to help me. My resident director was absolutely amazing and so helpful. She was there whenever I needed something whether it was advice or Spanish help. My resident director created such enriching activities and excursions for us to go on that really allowed ourselves to be immersed in the Colombian culture. I made some incredible friends while abroad Colombians and other foreigners. Being fully immersed in a native Spanish speaking country really improved my basic Spanish a lot. My roommate and I had so much fun traveling around Colombia and see what amazing landscapes Colombia had to offer us. I truly recommend ISA to anyone who is considering studying abroad, they treat you like family.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
It was amazing to visit La Guajira Desert in northern Colombia. The desert right next to the beach was unforgettable.