- Costa Rica
View Other Details
No Application Fee!
SFS offers some of the best (and most adventurous!) hands-on study abroad programs. Our programs in Costa Rica explore pressing environmental issues such as climate change, biodiversity conservation, and sustainability. Students learn through outdoor lectures, hands-on field exercises, and activities in cloud forests, farms, and national parks.
Students live on a tropical farm waking to the sounds of birds while enjoying fresh local coffee before heading into the rainforests and mountainous landscapes of Costa Rica to learn. Despite the country’s small land size, it is home to 5% of Earth’s species and is known worldwide for its sustainable conservation strategies.
Click on Visit Site above to learn more about studying abroad in Costa Rica with SFS!
- Earn academic credit: 18 credits for semester programs and 4-8 credits for summer programs. Conduct a 4-credit research project during the semester program.
- Explore the many different ecosystems found in Costa Rica – from rainforests and cloud forests to national parks and coastal ecosystems.
- Go behind the scenes at a local coffee and chocolate farms, fishing villages, and agroforestry projects to learn how Costa Ricans have successfully combined agriculture and conservation.
- Study fascinating topics like tropical ecology, sustainable land management, climate change in tropical ecosystems, agroforestry and conservation, tourism impacts, food systems, and more!
- ¿Hablas español? While these aren’t language programs, you’ll have plenty of opportunities to speak Spanish and, if you’re new to the language, you’ll learn the basics.
Spend a semester studying sustainability in Costa Rica, home to rainforests, volcanoes, rushing waterfalls, and a laid-back culture that reflects the national motto: “Pura Vida.” Immerse yourself in the country’s many national parks, farms, and tropical ecosystems full of incredible biodiversity. Design and conduct a field research project.
5 classes | 18 credits | One life-changing study abroad experience.
Using coffee and chocolate as case studies, explore the relationships between food systems, ecology, conservation, and sustainability. Learn how different agricultural techniques have the potential to restore biodiversity and combat climate change. Harvest cacao by hand, learn about organic coffee production, and experience the laid-back culture of Costa Rica.
1 class | 4 credits | One life-changing study abroad experience.
The School for Field Studies Scholarships
SFS works closely with your home school to help you fund your SFS program. Many applicants receive aid through their home institutions or other outside sources, so check with your financial aid office to see what aid may apply to an SFS program.