International Field Program (IFP) Summer 2021

Since its inception in 2002, hundreds of students have participated in our signature International Field Program (IFP) in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and Europe. The IFP is a platform for emerging practitioners and researchers to gain experience in the field within an academic environment. The IFP's extended field stays are unique among international affairs programs in the United States. In the course of nine weeks, students work and conduct research with community-based organizations, NGOs, international organizations, and governmental agencies. The topics range from community development, policy advocacy, citizen journalism, and post-conflict state-building to urban planning and long-term monitoring and evaluation.

For more information & to apply, visit newschool.edu/ifp.

• Local Partnerships
  • Independent Research
  • Unique Locations
  • Faculty Support
  • Cultural Experiences

Paul

Great experience

While I was unsure of my final research until 31 days abroad, I was able to situate myself in Buenos Aires with the help of Lena Simet and Michael Cohen of The New School. This was a life-changing experience and I would recommend Argentine travel to anyone interested in media, culture, or economics.

Argentina has many economic issues. However, The New School provided wonderful access to Villa 20 and Villa 31 while I was abroad. I would never have had such access to government officials if I were working under any other school. If someone is leaning toward economic studies, Buenos Aires would be a great place to visit and research. Further, those interested in public policy and international negotiations would benefit from this experience.

Much thanks to Fernando Bercovich for guiding us through the ends and outs of the country. He was the kindest mentor while we had to adjust to a completely different atmosphere in comparison to New York City.

Contacts with local NGOs could be more secure. For the most part, finding or operating an internship was on the responsibility of the individual.