USAC Cuba: La Habana

The La Habana program offers an unparalleled opportunity to visit this enchanting island and legendary city to learn about its culture and society. It will also provide a unique occasion for understanding firsthand the multiple layers of history that make Cuba significant in North America and in Latin America.

The courses and your experiences outside the classroom will focus on the history and society of Cuba, with particular attention focused on exploring the impact of slavery and Cuba’s African roots on its culture and religions, as well as the present-day political and economic factors Cuba faces in its future. This is your opportunity to examine not only the history of former Spanish colonies, but also the twentieth-century, during which Cuba played a significant geopolitical role.

• Explore this fascinating Caribbean nation with complex, interesting politics and history
  • Study from the ground level the impact of African, Spanish, and American influences on Cuban culture and society
  • Enjoy the stunning natural beauty of this tropical island—its beaches and bays, lush vegetation, mountains, plains, and robust agricultural areas
  • Join field trips to significant nearby areas in Cuba

Kara

USAC Cuba 2016

It's the people as much as the location that make the experience! I used USAC for two separate trips. Cuba was unique- with a political component that is significant in current events. The history incorporated into every day life is also unique. This program is incredibly affordable and a memorable experience. I recommend staying with a host family (although they can't technically call the accommodations such). If you're picky about food, this isn't for you. Otherwise, I enjoyed the inexpensive cuisine. Try the pizza!

air conditioning
Diana

Cuba forever in my Corazon

This was my first time studying abroad and I couldn't have chosen a better program, than the program USAC offerd for La Habana, Cuba. The Director and everyone, including professors, touring guides, locals, couldn't have been sweeter. This experience was life changing. Even though we didn't have all the resources available to us so easily, it became such a humbling experience and made you appreciate everything you have back at home. The professors were super knowledgeable and tried to make the educational portion very interesting and fun. There is simply so much to see and to learn. The optional week offered is a MUST. You see so many cool places and learn about all the different regions and history. I dream every day to go back. #CubaLibre

I loved everything about the program!
Karyssa

Loved this experience

I had the time of my life on this trip. Havana is beautiful, and there's a lot of fun things to do and see. USAC does a great job organizing fun and educational experiences, and they find relatively great housing for students. They also offer a week-long tour of the island, which is incredible and critical to the experience considering most of the country is not like Havana. There's a lot to learn about the history and culture of Cuba, and the trip will dispel many misconceptions Americans have about US-Cuban relations. The classes are really what you make of them: my experience was that the Cuban professors USAC partners with are very kind and knowledgeable, but there's a lot they won't talk about unless you ask. Havana is very safe, but because of the economic situation there be prepared to be bothered for money. Also be prepared to go without some privileges: water pressure, air conditioning, free toilet paper, use of your debit/credit card, etc. Overall an unbelievable, unique, and eye-opening experience, especially because these may be historic times for US-Cuban relations. Just about everyone on my trip wanted to go back soon.

Max

Cuba

Great program with great people, but after a while the lack of resources (A/C, water pressure, drinking water, etc.) in Cuba can get a little old. We had a week long tour of the island, which was the best part, and I can't recommend doing that enough. Havana felt safe, but the constant haranguing from taxis and people trying to sell things could get annoying. There is tons to explore within walking distance of the accommodations, so you're never bored. One thing that I wish I had listened to: bring hot sauce! There is nothing spicy there.

Megan

La Habana

Studying in Cuba was one of the most eye-opening and different experiences I've ever had. Because of our political relations with Cuba, there are so many misconceptions as well as curiosities surrounding Cuba and its people. Getting the opportunity to go to a place where American citizens cannot freely go was exciting and a once in a lifetime experience. USAC did a wonderful job of engaging us with the people of Havana, as well as showing us outside of the city. Having studied in this program makes me want to go back to Cuba on a daily basis, there is still so much to experience!