Italy: Torino - International Business, Politics, Italian Studies

USAC is working in collaboration with the highly regarded School of Business Administration at the University of Torino to provide an exciting and unique opportunity to study abroad in the Italian town of Torino. Torino is not a tourist town, and English is not spoken very often, making this an ideal program for those looking for a true Italian experience. Students will find that studies in International Business, Art/Architecture, and Italian language will be top notch.

• Live in a large cosmopolitan center that celebrates its ancient history as well as its modern lifestyle, rated one of the top ten most beautiful cities in Italy by the Michelin Guide
  • Take part in interactive classes with students from around the world and learn real-life skills for international careers in internships in business, marketing, architecture, communications, and many other areas
  • Join unique business visits, guest lectures, and overnight trips to enhance class work and cultural knowledge such as to Brussels EU Headquarters
  • Take advantage of the perfect location in the center of Europe and between the mountains and sea—with fast trains and low cost airlines making travel easy and convenient
  • Practice Italian with natives, away from tourist areas, in one of Italy’s greenest cities

2018-19 App. Cycle Summer I (5 weeks): Open Summer II (5 weeks): Open Summer I & II (10 wks.): Open Fall/Yearlong: Open Spring: Open
When choosing between a home stay and an apartment with other students, you should think about your personal habits, likes, and goals. A home stay is a fabulous option for students wanting to practice and better their language skills. It is also an amazing opportunity to build a connection with a family across the world. I have never heard of a student having a bad experience! The advantages of...

Aiyana

Travel as Much as You Can

Torino was fine, but it did not keep my interest for the full-year that I was living there fore. Therefore, I did not stay in my host country that often. I traveled to other countries as much as I possibly could and would recommend the same to anyone who is placed in a good travel hub within continental Europe. Italy is wonderful, but there are so many other lively cultures just around the corner that are waiting to be explored! And if you do it right, traveling throughout Europe can be very inexpensive. If you plan ahead and are organized, traveling to and around other counties will become second nature.

More activities on site for the students would have made the situation much better. Also, I had a class of over 80 students and that was TOO much. Smaller acceptance rate to each location in order for better bonds, and not cliques, to be established.
Jacqueline

USAC Torino Experience

I studied abroad in Torino, Italy and the experience was unforgettable. I had the chance to travel around Europe when I was not in class and participate in traveling with the program to explore other parts of Italy. When I had issues with anything, I was able to talk to the program coordinators to get the issues resolved from not having the correct wifi password to finding a pharmacy. Although the wifi at school didn't always work, I never needed it for my class. I took the culinary course and the modern architecture course. The culinary course was not difficult, but you are expected to put in effort just like any other college course. The modern architecture course was insightful and was a great chance to learn about Torino's history and culture.

N/A
Grace

An Experience of a Lifetime

Studying abroad changed my life. I know that everyone says that, but thats because it's true! USAC not only allowed me to travel everywhere my heart desired by placing me in the perfect location of Turin, but they also provided me with a fantastic education. Everyone always told me that when you studied abroad, the education was kind of a joke. I expected it to be easy, and just going through the motions. I'm not saying that it was the most strenuous program, but I can say that it changed my way of thinking, and almost every professor was extremely intelligent, and taught me something I never knew. Studying abroad is fantastic, everyone knows that. However, this specific program goes above the rest by providing you with opportunity, education, and experiences.

Better support by the administrators
Emma

Best experience of my life!

Torino is one of the best cities in Italy to study abroad in. Though it's one of the largest cities, it remains authentically Italian. Not many people speak English, which at first was difficult. However, it forced us all to truly immerse in the culture, learn the language, and become more independent people. It also helped that the people of Torino are extremely welcoming, kind, and helpful. They won't make you feel bad for pronouncing everything incorrectly!

Also, for travel it is a prime location. Being in northern Italy, you're in a central location for traveling. France is just a short train ride away, and you can get to any other country with a cheap train, bus, or flight. I was able to travel to so many different countries over the weekends. My only regret was not staying in Torino more!

Overall, if I could go back, I would do this same program all over again. I had amazing experiences, made lifelong friends, and have such a strong appreciation for Italian culture.

I wouldn't change a thing!
My photo
Nancy

Torino is fantastic!

I loved studying here! I was in Torino for a 5-week summer program. Everywhere I went I was seeing something that was amazing and beautiful. Everyone was so supportive: local residents, workers, teachers, other travelers, the students, and the USAC staff. I learned a great deal in my classes but probably more from learning about Italy and Italian culture norms and history from touring, visiting sites, attending events, and getting involved with others in the city. I was able to tour a great deal and never stopped being in awe. Torino is one of my favorite cities in Italy.

I don't really have any recommendations, it was fantastic!
Bridget

The highlight of my college career

I studied abroad in Torino, Italy in Fall 2016. At first, I thought this would just be a unique experience and something cool to do. Little did I know, Torino and its people have stolen my heart and I consider Torino my second home.

I learned so much during this program thanks to the immense support form Torino USAC staff. They organized many educational and cultural activities throughout the semester including visiting vineyards, learning the history of wine, and tasting many Italian wines. We also had the chance to tour FIAT plants and the Maserati plant located in Torino. We also took a day trip to the Alba truffle fair where we were able to taste world famous foods and be completely immersed in the Italian culture. Looking back, I am so grateful for all of these experiences and the opportunities the Torino program gave me.

Studying abroad was not always easy. The process prior to departure and during the semester consisted of a lot of detailed paperwork and tasks to complete. We had a lot of paperwork and payments to make and things to purchase once in Italy. USAC staff did an incredible job assisting me with all of this by providing a detailed checklist prior to departure and responding instantly to any questions I had via email. The first few days in Italy, many of us had high emotions adapting to a new environment and would get frustrated or upset. Torino USAC staff were kind and patient with us and helped us with anything we needed. They did the best they could to accommodate us with our different issues.

I felt completely comfortable and safe in Torino. The people are all incredibly nice and I loved going downtown and exploring the city with minimal tourists. If I had a choice I wouldn't change a thing! The USAC Torino program was absolutely amazing and I loved it. Thanks to USAC I now have a second home and family to go back to.

Maybe you can advertise or offer a class with the Italian students. I would have loved to meet more of them and be more immersed with Italian students our age.
Madison

Sexually Assaulted Outside School

I was having a difficult time because I was told most people in Torino spoke English and that really was not the case. However, I thought I could get through it until I was followed by a man who kept exposing himself to me. He attacked me on a bridge right outside school and I had to spend time with the Italian police who are very disorganized. I did everything I could after that to get away from Torino.

No, I don't recommend this program
Quinn

Fastest year of my life

It has been 4 years since I studied abroad in Torino. When deciding to go to Torino I had no idea the effect it would have had on my life. The city of Torino is magical and completely gorgeous. It gives you a full immersion into Italian life. I lived there for a year and was always finding things to do and reasons why I loved the city. Plus, the friends I made and were able to experience it all with will last a lifetime. It couldn't of all happened without the support of the USAC Torino staff. They really made it feel like a new home, and I really felt like they could answer any question I had. The program also offers conversation tutoring with Italian students if you want to improve your language skills. One of my favorite parts about Torino is the location. It is an hour by train from the Alps making it easy to go snowboarding during the winter. Getting around Europe was also easily accessible. I would recommend spending the majority of your time in Torino though, and to really take the city. The 9 months I spent in Europe were invaluable and I cherish all of the memories.

I wish there were more events with Italian students though.
Olivia

Tiamo Toriono ( I love you Torino)

Torino is a hidden gem!! There is so much to do and see in the city you will never want to leave. There are plenty of museums to check out, as well as beautiful out door activities. USAC staff did an amazing job of making sure I had a great experince. They were very helpful in helping me with my housing and when I got sick and had to go to the doctor.

Torino is also the perfect location to travel. There is an airport a bus rided away, two train stations and a metro so you never have to worry about getting around.

USAC has different field trips you can take which I recommend!! There are a few day trips as well as two overnight trips.

If your thinking about Italy think Torino!!!

I would make sure students have more resources for connecting with their professor
Noah

Bellissimo!

Studying in the USAC Torino Program you get the full Italian culture immersion. It was one of the best experiences of my life. The courses were interesting and the staff were super helpful. I wish I could go back. The apartment I stayed in was super nice as well. I love Torino!

If I had to change one thing it would be to have more opportunities with local Italians.
Javier

Unforgettable Study Abroad experience

I transferred to Cal Poly and I hadn't given studying abroad much thought. I decided to do it Senior year and I am glad I did! Torino is an exciting and authentic Italian city rich in history, culture and fun. Torino has open markets all through out the city which makes it easy to buy fresh groceries. There is a large selections of museums and an inexpensive unlimited museum pass available for the entire semester. The USAC staff is very helpful and nice. They truly make themselves available and are willing to enrich the experience.
I loved that we took classes with the Erasmus students enabling us to interact with students from all over Europe. It is an amazing experience that is almost indescribable. The campus is not as nice as an American one but that doesn't take away from the experience. Torino is a big city and like any other big city in any other country, one must be cautious and aware of our surroundings since crime does exist. Again, that is normal and should be expected.
Traveling was easy and relatively inexpensive. Europe offers much to see and do. I felt 5 months was not enough to see it all and I definitely look forward to returning.
USAC and 3rd parties offer scholarships so take advantage of that and start early. USAC also offers cool internships. I personally interned at an elementary school and I absolutely loved it. The children and staff were very welcoming and made my experience even greater.
Bottom line, do not overthink it! Go! Study abroad, meet new people, travel, learn a new language, and grow personally. You will meet some of the greatest people and make long lasting friends. Enjoy!

I would like for more trips to be included in our tuition cost. I would also like for more campus resources to be available to the students.
Kate

Viterbo Study Abroad!!

This program was fantastic! USAC Viterbo gave students the unique opportunity to become immersed in small town Italian culture by offering housing throughout the medieval walled city, enrolling students in small classes instructed by Italian professors, and by touring landmark cities along the Italian coast in a field studies course. I was excited to find this program, because the Lazio region of Italy is spectacular, and it is where I have dreamed to live for a long period of time. Unlike many other programs I looked into that were very expensive, this program was very reasonable! I was able to earn 10 units that directly transferred to my university, and I was able to pick up some Italian while living in a place where individuals are willing to help one pick up their mother tongue.
This location is wonderful because you can easily make it Rome (only an hour away!) Venice, Florence, Sicily, the Amalfi Coast and many more beautiful Italian cities and regions. If you are even considering this program, I am telling you.. just sign up!!! You will make memories that will last a lifetime.

Amanda

Viterbo Italy, My Favorite Place in the World.

Studying in Viterbo Italy truly changed my life. I am grateful everyday that I chose USAC and chose Viterbo over a larger city. It was perfect. I could easily walk everywhere without needing to take transit. Got to know people in town personally go to great community events and really be a part of true Italian culture (complete with pausa pranzo, which is like a siesta). We were close enough to Rome to make traveling easy but not so close that we were crowded. In Viterbo I lived in one of the biggest and best apartments I've ever lived in me and my roommates all became best friends and I am so grateful for that. The classes I chose to take were painfully easy (but who is complaining) but there were some more challenging classes offered. If you go to Viterbo you will need to really pay attention in Italian class as most people over 30 do not speak English. I went knowing no Italian and I did fine. Somethings I wish I would have known before hand are Viterbo is a city and a province so all the pictures on the internet may not be of the city but of the surrounding area. The hotsprings are amazing and you should learn where they are week 1 and go every week. And you cannot drink the water in Viterbo. It has Arsenic and it cant be purified or boiled out so you have to haul bottled water from the store. All in all Viterbo was a magical city that I will forever hold in my heart. The sights, the smells, the people. The USAC staff in this location are also true heros the amount of times that Simone saved our bacon is endless and he really doesnt get the credit he deserves. He personally picked us up at a train station at midnight on his birthday and drove us 30 minutes home when we got stranded. The rest of the staff is also awesome. I would give anything to be back in Viterbo right now!

While I loved this program we did not have as much access to campus resources as I thought we would. Things like computers and printing there was one of each for us to use in the USAC office and before weekends there would be lines waiting to print Ryanair tickets. I also thought a gym would be included like it is in America but it cost extra. Many people in my program found other creative ways to workout.
Bethany

Fabulous time in Torino Italy.

From the fresh made pizza to the locals in my neighborhood spouting off Italian at me, everything about my trip to Torino Italy is such a found memory for me. There will be things that will surprise and shock you as well as bring you out of your comfort zone. The staff in the USAC Torino program were so helpful at helping you feel at home, and I really felt like they could answer any question I had. I made amazing friends from around the U.S. and form friendships with the locals in Torino. Torino has provides a great community for young people with a large university and great night life. I loved that Torino was not a tourist destination- I believe I learned Italian so much quicker because of this. The six months I spent in Europe were invaluable and I cherish all of the memories.

Shelbi

il mio cuore è a torino

I don't even know where to begin. Ever since I started college, I was determined to study abroad in Italy. As the days neared my departure, the nerves began to settle in. I wish I could have told myself when I felt unsteady about this upcoming experience, that it was about to be the best six months of my life.
Torino was absolutely amazing and USAC could not have made me feel more at home. I lived in an apartment in midtown with three American girls who to do this day are still some of my best friends. Our apartment was quaint, beautiful, and the best part- quite affordable. We even had the cutest landlord, an elderly Italian man, who barely spoke any English. On Easter, he bought us a cake and delivered it up to our apartment to ensure we had a great day.
The Italians were the most unique, interesting, lively people I have ever had the pleasure to meet. They have this wonderful quality about themselves, where they truly live. They indulge in all things to make a "docle vita": great vino, great food, great conversations, great work schedules.. great everything.
One of my favorite things about where I lived in Torino, was Parco Valentino. Parco Valentino was about a five minute walk from my apartment and it is the largest park in Torino. It is full of people reading, playing soccer, sunbathing, drinking wine, and just enjoying each others company. It is also where many clubs are located as the weather warms up.
Among the many great things in Torino is the weather. You are right in the mountains, so walking to class you can see the infamous Alps. In the winter you get some snow and some rain. And in the summer, you get a purely perfect heat. Regardless of the weather, you never need an excuse to eat gelato!
The school you attend for USAC is called SAA. It has great classes with even better teachers. Each of my teachers were personable and fascinating. You also attend a school full of other Italian students so you have many opportunities to become friends with the locals. The staff are also some of the best people I have ever met and will do anything to make sure you get the experience of a lifetime.
Studying abroad gives you the opportunity to travel and see the world. You can hope on a Ryanair flight for a cheap price and be anywhere in Europe. I spent about half of my semester traveling through Europe and the other half hanging out and experiencing Torino. It was a perfect balance.
You may be thinking that this life I described sounds too good to be true, but I promise you it is not. Take the chance. Hop on a plane and you will realize the second you get there, that this will be the best six months of your life. The cultures you'll experience, the relationships you will make, the food you will indulge in- nothing can compare to a blissful life in Italia. It is completely worth every penny. And trust me, the moment it comes to be taking your steps on a plane back home, you will want to run the other way. It is my second home, and it could be your, too!

If I had to change one thing, I would have more gatherings for the students. Some of the best experiences I had were on the USAC trips. We had two USAC trips- one to Venice during Carnivale and one to Ivrea during the Orange Festival. Both were an absolute blast and I wish we could have had more.