Spain: Alicante - Spanish Language, Linguistics, European, and Gender Studies

The view from El Castillo
The view from El Castillo
La Explanada: The main shopping/eating strip in Alicante
La Explanada: The main shopping/eating strip in Alicante
El Castillo de Santa Barbara.
Study Abroad in Alicante, Spain, with USAC
Study Abroad in Alicante, Spain, with USAC

Study abroad at the University of Alicante in Spain! Coursework concentrates on Spanish, European and Women's/Gender Studies, as well as many options to help students improve their Spanish language skills.

Alicante is a beautiful Spanish city located right on the Mediterranean. Its consistent temperatures and sandy beaches make it a prime destination for students interested in relaxing outdoors and on the coast.

• Study at one of the most beautiful campuses in Spain with gorgeous landscaping, modern architecture, and a modern sports center, indoor swimming pool, and other facilities
  • Immerse yourself in Spanish culture with volunteering opportunities, internships, direct enrollment at the university, workshops, conversation partner program, and excursions
  • Enjoy sunny weather and lovely beaches by the Mediterranean Sea with many opportunities for outdoor activities like hiking, rowing, sailing, and windsurfing
  • Join in local celebrations, open air markets, and the lively atmosphere of the Mediterranean lifestyle

USAC Scholarships
USAC Scholarships and Financial Aid

USAC awards over $2 million in scholarships and discounts each year to assist students with their study abroad expenses.

$500 - $1,000

Apply for Spring/January Study Abroad by November 1

Choose your experience! Spend at spring or January term taking courses, interning, volunteering, and enhancing your resume with a study abroad in one of 53 program locations across the world.

Hi Allison, Most track 1 students can expect to be in class 5 days a week, but it will depend on where you are studying abroad. You will get your class schedule during orientation. If you have further questions about courses you can always email our enrollment team at [email protected] . Thank you!
We have some pictures on our website here: http://usac.unr.edu/study-abroad-programs/spain/alicante/photo-gallery. For specific location information you can email us at [email protected] Thank you! -Sara
Most classes through USAC are in the morning but if you take classes directly through University of Alicante, they really vary. I had a class from 4-8pm for a week but my USAC classes all ended roughly around 2pm =)

Liridian

Alacant

I was unsure about the whole studying abroad experience, however when I came across Alicante, Spain I was sold. I saw that this city offered a service-learning experience in which students get the opportunity to volunteer with a local non-profit organization.
This was the one reason I chose this location. I didn't know what was in store but I was in for a surprise. It was definitely more than I expected!
The university is great and only a tram ride away! The onsite staff is amazing and it shows that they care for the students and enjoy their job. I also participated in the teaching assistant program and in tutoring which was a great way to learn more about the beautiful country of Spain! Aside from that Alicante is such a small and beautiful city that has a home feel. Definitely recommend studying here!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing I saw was the view of Alicante from the Castillo of Santa Barbara!
Allyson

Best semester

I had the most memorable, fun, and unique semester here in Alicante! I am so happy that I got the chance to study and explore this beautiful Mediterranean city. The USAC Alicante staff are so welcoming and caring to the students. Choose Alicante, Spain!! I am so grateful that I had the opportunity and support to study abroad in Alicante, Spain. I fell in love with the language, people, classes, city, beach, public transportation, local cuisine, and traveling. This experience had been so much more meaningful to me that I had anticipated. In my time abroad I’ve seen so many European historical sites, gained incredible memories, and discovered different perspectives through my classes and friends. I had done some traveling with my family before, but actually living in a different country and assimilating to the culture and ways of doing things has definitely had a greater effect on me. To immerse myself more in the culture I started tutoring kids in english twice a week. I also have an intercambio, that I meet up with to talk in spanish and in english. I had gotten a lot more confident and enthusiastic about speaking spanish since I have been here. I have noticed my progression of becoming more independent since being abroad. Through traveling and having to be on top of things with boarding passes, packing, metro systems, hostels, and safety, I feel like I have come a long way and gained a lot of knowledge! Some of my ideas about what are important and worth stressing about have also shifted for the better I believe. During my time abroad I met so many open minded, special individuals that I couldn’t imagine life without. My semester in Alicante flew by faster than any other. If I could give one piece of advice to a prospective study abroad student, it would be to be present in where you are in the world and enjoy every moment of it! Living and studying in a different country is such an extraordinary journey that is unique for everyone.

Go into it with an open mind and excitement for new and unique experiences! Eat local Spanish cuisine, chat up the spaniards, enjoy the beach, hike the castle, get used to public transportation, indulge in gelato, and hop on planes and trains to visit other Spanish cities or other EU countries on the weekends!
Erika

I'd Do it All Again

As someone who has experienced the ups and downs and in bet-weens of study abroad, I am here to tell you to do it. Go abroad. Go overseas. See another part of the world and experience another culture.Before I went abroad, I was really nervous. I had a lot of anxiety about everything from finances to finding all my classes. I knew that it was going to be a challenge but I also knew that I would regret it for the rest of my life if I didn’t go abroad. So I talked with my advisers and applied for scholarships and read like 50 different blog posts on packing for going abroad; I was also terrified that I would forget something and be hopeless. But I said my goodbyes and boarded my plane and I can honestly say that it was one of the best decisions I have ever made.
I felt like I was in a dream. A really cold dream because it was January in Spain but nevertheless a wonderful dream. Spain had so much to teach me about Spanish culture and the language but also about myself. I had deemed myself fairly independent going away to college in another state but being in a foreign country where they spoke another language was a different kind of independence all together. And I found my pace and got into a rhythm and before I knew it I was living in Spain, taking public transit to school, studying and exploring my beautiful host country and Spain as whole. Was I lonely sometimes, yes. This experience but a lot of things into perspective for me. I was able to experience and learn about multiple different cultures, each with their own similarities and differences on what the value the most and how they structure their lives.
While abroad, I traveled from city to city trying new foods and variations depending on the region. I learned different dialects and heard languages being spoken that I’d never heard before.I explored with new friends and even traveled by myself to different countries, safely and with situational awareness of course. Through study abroad and my specific program I was able to take Spanish and Latin dance classes as well as a sailing class where I learned to sail on the Mediterranean Sea. I was also able to travel to Morocco for a week with my study abroad program. There are so many unique and inspiring adventures that await abroad. I never knew there were so many things that I could do and get academic credit for while I was abroad. If you’re a prospective student reading this, I as you this. Where will your next adventure take you?

Jack

The Best Decision I Made in College

Making the opportunity to study abroad with USAC may have been the all time best decision I made during my college career. Alicante is a wonderful city, from the scenery to the rich culture there was never a dull moment during my time there. The locals are friendly when you take the time to learn about their culture and go out of your way to learn the language and speak with them. There were so many places near by to explore along the Mediterranean Sea and living like a Spaniard could not have been a cooler experience. The USAC staff were wonderful and always there to help, they would never judge your circumstance and no problem was big enough for them to help you through. I learned so much about the language and culture in my four months living there you would have thought I had studied for years back home! I also met people in my program that are now some of my closest friends, we all shared the desire to get out of our comfort zone and immerse ourselves in Spanish culture together. My only regret is I wish I had the opportunity to study over there for a full year. I would recommend anyone thinking about studying abroad to do it, there's a great deal of opportunity for financial help to do so if you research. And I fully recommend looking into Alicante because at the end of my experience I feel as though it will always be a home away from home for me!

More opportunities to meet local students at the University in order to help USAC students integrate into the local culture. More opportunities to join local groups for language and extracurricular learning to also help immerse.
Dante

USAC Alicante, Spain

The greatest experience of my life. Universidad de Alicante had great professors, my apartment was perfectly located near the beach, I made some of the greatest friends of my life, all while indulging in Spanish culture. I will remember this experience for the rest of my life. I loved all the field trips that we went on, the courses I took were very interesting, and USAC was always there to help me with whatever I needed.

It was perfect the way it was.
Levi

Learning Spanish, and

Such an amazing way to learn Spanish, and to experience a new culture. I went into the program knowing little to no Spanish, and left being able to hold pretty reasonable conversations with almost anyone I met. Having class in Spanish every single day and living with only spanish-speaking roommates was the key to learning so much so quickly. I have to say, that the dialect spoken around Alicante (Valencian) was much harder to understand, though. When I visited places in Spain that spoke Castillian spanish, I found I could speak and understand much more. I think that if I had studied in Madrid, for example, where they speak a little more clearly, I would have been able to learn even more Spanish than I did in Alicante.

Touring in smaller groups would give us a more genuine experience when visiting places outside of Alicante as a group. When you show up in a tour bus with 50 people, you're already off on a bad foot with being able to interact genuinely with locals. Smaller groups of 10-15 would be better.
Heidi

Awesome experience

I went to Alicante in Fall 2016. I met amazing new friends from all over the U.S. and even some who happen to go to Cal Poly, my home university. I lived with a host family, mainly just a host mom whose daughters, aged mid 30's, came to visit every Sunday. I also had an American living with me in my host family as well. I became great friends with my American roommate. We both loved our host mom and her daughters. We learned a great deal of Spanish because our host family spoke zero English. We took the tram or bus to school everyday. I really liked that because it made me feel more a part of the community there. I also signed up for a program where I gave private lessons to Spanish girls wanting to learn English. The girls were ages 7 and 11. I adored them and they loved me too. I was able to explore all parts of the city while I was there and Alicante really gained a special part in my heart after this experience. I am glad to feel connected to another part of the world now. Coming back to the states, I feel like I really learned so much by living in Spain, but I didn't realize it until I came back and noticed all the changes. Overall, I think everyone in the states needs to study abroad because I can't think of one negative thing about it.

The only thing that could be improved about this program is a real, and better estimate of the money you will be spending. I spent a lot more than expected.
Caroline

Go to Alicante!

I loved my semester in Alicante. I would recommend living with a host family. It really helped me improve my Spanish and get to know the city. If you want to live with a host family but you're nervous, just go for it! You'll learn so much The staff at USAC were superb and they also made my trip great. They were always very helpful when we had questions. They also brought us on amazing field trips to Granada and to Morocco. The trip to Morocco was my favorite trip from my entire semester abroad. Alicante itself was a beautiful seaside city that I would recommend to any traveler!

N/a
Tanner

A Great Experience in Alicante!

My time in Alicante with USAC was one of the best study abroad experiences I've ever taken part in. I lived in the provided apartment housing opposed to living with a host family, and while that may have resulted in a more cultural experience, my apartment was very large, clean, updated, and it had laundry and a dishwasher in unit, along with a balcony! The guided tours were so much fun and informative, the transportation was extremely reliable and we never veered from the schedule we were provided, which was appreciated. My Spanish class was so informative, and it's important to note that it was done in such a short amount of time, and Maria was one of my favorite instructors I've ever had, even in America. A truly great experience - - I would recommend it to anyone.

I don't really have any suggestions -- I was never disappointed.
Jessica

Study Abroad in Spain!

Spain was the most beautiful place to live for 6 months. Alicante is wonderful because it has everything you would ever want. If you want to party all night long, there are clubs for that. If you want to have a nice day at the beach and relax, you can do that. If you want to take a tour and see the culture they have that too! The program also plans a lot of trips to outside cities like Granada and trips to other beaches. It was like a have a whole new family with my peers from school, my advisers, and my host family that I lived with.

Kendall

USAC Alicante is amazing!

I very much enjoyed my time in Alicante through the USAC program. I was able to see, do, and learn so many things that I don't believe I would have anywhere else. My experience studying abroad through this program enabled me to challenge myself and have the time of my life, all at once. I was able to meet so many great people from across the world and made lifelong friendships that have made it possible to go on even more adventures since. The local program staff is also very kind and supportive. Academically, I was able to advance my Spanish skills more during my six months abroad than in the five years of Spanish classes I had taken previously. I also sparked an interest in the field of international education and I am considering pursuing a career path related to helping other students get an amazing study abroad experience. Alicante is full of fun activities from hiking to the two castles within the city, lounging on the beach, and going to local soccer games. The city also has amazing transportation including buses, trams, train systems, and an international airport. It is very easy to navigate the city and travel outside of it. One of my favorite experiences during my time abroad was being able to travel to Morocco for a field study and I know that the trip, being facilitated by USAC staff, was much more meaningful than if I would have gone on my own. Studying abroad with the USAC Alicante program was the best experience of my life and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to study abroad.

Audrey

Best decision I ever made

I relied heavily on reviews when making my study abroad decision, so I felt compelled to leave one myself. I spent the Spring 2017 semester in Alicante and as my review title suggests, it was the best decision I ever made.
Alicante is the perfect city to study abroad in, in my opinion. I wasn't looking for a larger city like Madrid or Barcelona because I wanted a more authentic experience with less foreigners and that's what I found in Alicante. Fewer people speak English, so you use and practice your Spanish much more (but you can definitely get by without being fluent- all my Track I friends were fine). Alicante is not a tiny city by any means though: amazing nightlife, busy airport with plenty of nonstop flights to major European cities (London, Dublin, Paris, etc.) and lots of people. It is an incredibly beautiful city and is within an hour of most destinations on the Costa Blanca (the region Alicante is in) like Calpe, Altea, Benidorm, etc. I would really recommend visiting as many of these sites as possible; they are all so breathtakingly beautiful.
The host families and landlords have been with the program for years so they truly are the best of the best. I am still in contact with my host family now that I am home. I really enjoyed my experience in a host family and would highly recommend it, but a lot of my friends also really loved their apartment experience so it all boils down to personal choice.
Coursework was not bad at all in my opinion. Most professors understand that you are abroad and try not to bog you down with work. I still feel like I learned a lot and grew in my Spanish abilities. The professors are also so sweet and care about their students. After turning in all my final exams, all my professors hugged us goodbye and wished us well. Track III and IV do not have Friday classes which was ideal for weekend travel.
The support from the staff was unbelievable. They are not just staff members, but your family for the semester. They will accompany you to the on-campus doctor, helped drive people to their internships, organize weekly activities like soccer, basketball, hiking, etc., and then bigger excursions to explore the Alicante region. They have free printing in the USAC office, so I would go in there to print something out and ended up hanging out with Luis, Sylvain, and Veronica for 30+ minutes just chatting.
I absolutely loved my semester in Alicante and would recommend anyone to do the USAC Alicante program!

The only regret I have is not being able to year-long!
Christian

Semester in Alicante

Before my semester in Alicante I had never been to Europe. Never really traveled that much. Now I can't get enough of it and want to move to Europe after graduation. Alicante is a very safe city to walk in at all hours of the day or night, has a good metro and bus system and an excellent, bustling nightlife. City is very cheap to live in, beautiful beaches and weather, and the best mediterranean food has to offer. The on site program director and assistants helped us with everything we needed, including booking activities that we suggested or wanted to do. They actively suggested things for us to do and suggested places to eat, sometimes took us places to eat. The university has a beautiful campus that reminds you of those at home. The program sets you up with language partners that help you practice your spanish and you help them with english. This helps you meet locals. Excellent program that I would definitely do again.

Sarah

The Best Semester of My Life

After my first week in Alicante, it truly felt like home. Everything about the city was perfect. It was easy to navigate, all the restaurants were good, the people were friendly, and it was by the beach! I made some of my beach friends studying abroad that I couldn't imagine life without them. A huge part of why my experience was so positive was due to USAC. Everyone agreed that our program had the best housing locations, teachers, and advisors! They were always there with advice and for help.

Brooke

USAC- Alicante, Spain is the #1 Place to be

My time spent in Alicante, Spain with the USAC program provider was the greatest 6 months of my life. I had no problems with safety or the apartment that I was living in. The staff were amazing at making you feel comfortable in this unknown place. They were willing to help with anything you needed (from wanting to get more involved in the Spanish culture to needing to go to the doctor). I highly recommend this amazingly beautiful beach town and USAC as your program provider.

Alumni Interviews