USAC Spain: Alicante

USAC Spain: Alicante

Study abroad at the University of Alicante in Spain! Coursework concentrates on Spanish, European and Women's/Gender Studies, as well as many options to help students improve their Spanish language skills.

Alicante is a beautiful Spanish city located right on the Mediterranean. Its consistent temperatures and sandy beaches make it a prime destination for students interested in relaxing outdoors and on the coast.

• Study at one of the most beautiful campuses in Spain with gorgeous landscaping, modern architecture, and a modern sports center, indoor swimming pool, and other facilities
  • Immerse yourself in Spanish culture with volunteering opportunities, internships, direct enrollment at the university, workshops, conversation partner program, and excursions
  • Enjoy sunny weather and lovely beaches by the Mediterranean Sea with many opportunities for outdoor activities like hiking, rowing, sailing, and windsurfing
  • Join in local celebrations, open air markets, and the lively atmosphere of the Mediterranean lifestyle
Europe » Spain » Alicante
Europe » Spain
Cultural Studies
European Studies
Food Science and Nutrition
Sociology
Women's Studies
Visa Requirement

We have some pictures on our website here: http://usac.unr.edu/study-abroad-programs/spain/alicante/photo-gallery. For specific location information you can email us at [email protected] Thank you! -Sara
Most classes through USAC are in the morning but if you take classes directly through University of Alicante, they really vary. I had a class from 4-8pm for a week but my USAC classes all ended roughly around 2pm =)
The most common housing options in Alicante are in shared apartments with U.S., International and/or local students, or living with a host family. I believe the short winter program is the only one that has dorm options. Otherwise it isn't common to have dorms in Spain. Most locals live at home. They all have pros and cons depending on what you are looking to gain from the experience. Living with...

Jessica

Study Abroad in Spain!

Spain was the most beautiful place to live for 6 months. Alicante is wonderful because it has everything you would ever want. If you want to party all night long, there are clubs for that. If you want to have a nice day at the beach and relax, you can do that. If you want to take a tour and see the culture they have that too! The program also plans a lot of trips to outside cities like Granada and trips to other beaches. It was like a have a whole new family with my peers from school, my advisers, and my host family that I lived with.

Kendall
University of Idaho

USAC Alicante is amazing!

I very much enjoyed my time in Alicante through the USAC program. I was able to see, do, and learn so many things that I don't believe I would have anywhere else. My experience studying abroad through this program enabled me to challenge myself and have the time of my life, all at once. I was able to meet so many great people from across the world and made lifelong friendships that have made it possible to go on even more adventures since. The local program staff is also very kind and supportive. Academically, I was able to advance my Spanish skills more during my six months abroad than in the five years of Spanish classes I had taken previously. I also sparked an interest in the field of international education and I am considering pursuing a career path related to helping other students get an amazing study abroad experience. Alicante is full of fun activities from hiking to the two castles within the city, lounging on the beach, and going to local soccer games. The city also has amazing transportation including buses, trams, train systems, and an international airport. It is very easy to navigate the city and travel outside of it. One of my favorite experiences during my time abroad was being able to travel to Morocco for a field study and I know that the trip, being facilitated by USAC staff, was much more meaningful than if I would have gone on my own. Studying abroad with the USAC Alicante program was the best experience of my life and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to study abroad.

Audrey

Best decision I ever made

I relied heavily on reviews when making my study abroad decision, so I felt compelled to leave one myself. I spent the Spring 2017 semester in Alicante and as my review title suggests, it was the best decision I ever made.
Alicante is the perfect city to study abroad in, in my opinion. I wasn't looking for a larger city like Madrid or Barcelona because I wanted a more authentic experience with less foreigners and that's what I found in Alicante. Fewer people speak English, so you use and practice your Spanish much more (but you can definitely get by without being fluent- all my Track I friends were fine). Alicante is not a tiny city by any means though: amazing nightlife, busy airport with plenty of nonstop flights to major European cities (London, Dublin, Paris, etc.) and lots of people. It is an incredibly beautiful city and is within an hour of most destinations on the Costa Blanca (the region Alicante is in) like Calpe, Altea, Benidorm, etc. I would really recommend visiting as many of these sites as possible; they are all so breathtakingly beautiful.
The host families and landlords have been with the program for years so they truly are the best of the best. I am still in contact with my host family now that I am home. I really enjoyed my experience in a host family and would highly recommend it, but a lot of my friends also really loved their apartment experience so it all boils down to personal choice.
Coursework was not bad at all in my opinion. Most professors understand that you are abroad and try not to bog you down with work. I still feel like I learned a lot and grew in my Spanish abilities. The professors are also so sweet and care about their students. After turning in all my final exams, all my professors hugged us goodbye and wished us well. Track III and IV do not have Friday classes which was ideal for weekend travel.
The support from the staff was unbelievable. They are not just staff members, but your family for the semester. They will accompany you to the on-campus doctor, helped drive people to their internships, organize weekly activities like soccer, basketball, hiking, etc., and then bigger excursions to explore the Alicante region. They have free printing in the USAC office, so I would go in there to print something out and ended up hanging out with Luis, Sylvain, and Veronica for 30+ minutes just chatting.
I absolutely loved my semester in Alicante and would recommend anyone to do the USAC Alicante program!

The only regret I have is not being able to year-long!

Christian
Novato, CA

Semester in Alicante

Before my semester in Alicante I had never been to Europe. Never really traveled that much. Now I can't get enough of it and want to move to Europe after graduation. Alicante is a very safe city to walk in at all hours of the day or night, has a good metro and bus system and an excellent, bustling nightlife. City is very cheap to live in, beautiful beaches and weather, and the best mediterranean food has to offer. The on site program director and assistants helped us with everything we needed, including booking activities that we suggested or wanted to do. They actively suggested things for us to do and suggested places to eat, sometimes took us places to eat. The university has a beautiful campus that reminds you of those at home. The program sets you up with language partners that help you practice your spanish and you help them with english. This helps you meet locals. Excellent program that I would definitely do again.

Sarah
St. Louis
Clemson University

The Best Semester of My Life

After my first week in Alicante, it truly felt like home. Everything about the city was perfect. It was easy to navigate, all the restaurants were good, the people were friendly, and it was by the beach! I made some of my beach friends studying abroad that I couldn't imagine life without them. A huge part of why my experience was so positive was due to USAC. Everyone agreed that our program had the best housing locations, teachers, and advisors! They were always there with advice and for help.

Brooke
Thousand Oaks, California
University of South Carolina

USAC- Alicante, Spain is the #1 Place to be

My time spent in Alicante, Spain with the USAC program provider was the greatest 6 months of my life. I had no problems with safety or the apartment that I was living in. The staff were amazing at making you feel comfortable in this unknown place. They were willing to help with anything you needed (from wanting to get more involved in the Spanish culture to needing to go to the doctor). I highly recommend this amazingly beautiful beach town and USAC as your program provider.

Jake
Pleasanton

Life in Alicante

Alicante is an excellent city to experience what Spain has to offer: warm and friendly people, great cafes and tapas bars, the Mediterranean Sea, a vibrant nightlife, a beautiful language, and many more aspects about the Spanish culture. USAC is a great platform to get more involved in the community. Luis and his staff provide great support and constantly emailing students, inviting them to different events/asking them if they want to do certain things in the community. The instruction from Lourdes was very informative and engaging. She came with fun exercises to do every day. The public transportation was great as well. The bus and the tram connected the city to everywhere you could possibly need to go. The only negative aspect about the city , was the limited flight options because of the small airport.

More flexibility with course scheduling.

Savannah

An all encompassing experience

When I first arrived in Alicante, it was in a state of anxiety. The woman with whom I was going to live was suddenly uncertain that she could take me in, as her mother had been taken to the hospital, with the worst seemingly inevitable. The USAC staff was so supportive during this terribly uncertain time, making sure I was kept in the loop and constantly working to resolve this issue. Everything worked out for my housing situation and was able to have a wonderful host mother. Yet the USAC staff never abated in their dedication to making my experience, and all the other participant's experiences the best they could be. They made themselves available and worked hard to ensure that field trips and outings were offering the greatest potential for enjoyment to the students.The area of Alicante begs for enjoyment and provides it, with fun downtown areas, beautiful local beaches, hiking, and so much more. I loved Alicante because of what it gave me, which was a real love for Spain.

Michael

Life Changing

This program is designed with the students in mind. The program advisors are there every step of the way for the students with the full intention of providing a better experience for them. The city is located right on the Med and is just a short tram ride away from the school. The local people are extremely nice and patient, especially when trying to practice your Spanish. The city provides great public transportation including a bus to and from the airport. All housing locations are centered around the city center and no more than a 10 minute walk to the beach.

Obviously no program is perfect, but flawless is not out of the question. It is tough to comment on change that I would like to see within this program. Nothing stands out to me in regards to something that needs a change or improvement, therefore, I would like to decline to comment on how this program could be improved.

Jamie
San Luis Obispo
California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo

What you can expect

The housing is in the city center, which give you access to lots of restaurants and clubs. It is also walking distance to the beach and the gorgeous Castillo de Santa Barbara. If you live in an apartment you will have your own room and 2-4 roommates. My apartment has plenty of space and views of the city.

To get to the University, you will take a tram or bus for about 25 minutes. Classes are not stressful but they will help you majorly improve your Spanish. You will be taking classes with other USAC students, but have the chance to interact with Spaniard through Intercambios- conversation partners who go to the university. Take advantage of any Spaniards you meet, as this will be a great way to practice conversation and learn about culture.
The Spanish in Alicante is fairly neutral, Valenciano, a dialect of Catalan is also used in the community. It is easy to reach Madrid by high speed train and the airport is a 30 minute bus ride away. It's a great city to be in if you wish to travel around Europe. All of the staff and professors are fantastic- truly supportive and caring. I had such a fantastic time and want to return already!

Nicki
Portland, Oregon
Portland State University

Amazing people, amazing place

Couldn't get enough of Spain and my program! The leaders were amazing and supportive the whole way through. They organized activities outside of our class schedules that really helped me understand the country a little bit more and were just a wealth of knowledge! Also, my host mother went above and beyond to make sure that I experienced her homeland to the best of ability. We would sit down for a homemade lunch every day and talk politics, current events, or just about life... and then siesta. That is what made this experience so extraordinary, the people :) Loved USAC Alicante!

More classes and interaction with actual students from the university!

Mary
Torino, Italy
University of Nevada Reno

Best decision of my life

If I could give USAC Alicante a score of 1,000 on the scale of 1-10, I would. Aside from Alicante's beauty in itself the USAC program made my stay nothing short of amazing.... It was hands down the best year of my life and it wouldn't be that way without the help of the USAC staff; from the housing they provided, to the organized field trips (which were awesome) to the all-around constant support and just being my parents-away-from-parents they truly made Alicante feel like a second home to me. I HIGHLY recommend this program to anyone interested!!!! Thank you USAC Alicante for the best year of my life!

I think this program is perfect!!!

Johanna

Life Changing Experience

Studying abroad with USAC changed my perspective on life and my future goals. I met so many amazing new friends, learned the Spanish language, and explored within Spain and throughout Europe. I truly learned more about who I wanted to be and got out of my comfort zone. The staff and professors are amazing people who love what they do and make the experience unforgettable. I would highly recommend USAC and Alicante!

Janelle
Fort Collins, Colorado
Colorado State University

Awesome program and city

I can't recommend this program enough. The city is beautiful and has a great beach and a lot of fun things to do. The program directors truly care about their students and not only set up fun excursions to different cities but also help you make friends with Spaniards (through an intercambio program), set up paid positions tutoring English at local schools and with families, and are quick to respond if you need any help. My housing accommodations were perfect, I could not have asked for a better location or nicer apartment. Teaching English at two local schools was such a cool experience and I would highly recommend that. The nightlife in Alicante is great, almost every club is free to get into (something I did not find in other Spanish cities) and people party all night. I took a sailing class and it was a blast, one of the best things I did while abroad. Other classes were very easy. There is an international airport in Alicante with relatively cheap flights to other cities in Europe, along with a bus and train station. I found it very easy to travel but also nice to stay and enjoy Alicante. The program is small and you will get to know almost everyone. I can't say enough good things about USAC or Alicante, I would HIGHLY recommend this program.

The attendance policy for some classes is very strict which can make traveling a bit more difficult. Classes should be Monday-Thursday for everyone (Track 1 and 2 students had class on Fridays but 3 and 4 did not).

Jayna
Washington, DC

Amazing Experience

I had the time of my life studying abroad in Alicante, Spain through USAC. The city was the perfect size for me. There was plenty to do there without traveling, but it was also very well-connected and easy to get to other places. The beach is beautiful, the neighborhoods are safe and the people are friendly. Universidad de Alicante was a 25 minute tram ride away, and I really liked all of my professors. It's easy to make Spanish friends if you sign up for the Intercambio program, which gets you in touch with Spanish students who want to improve their English. It's a great way to meet locals, improve your Spanish and help someone with their English all at the same time. The USAC staff was incredibly helpful. They sorted everything out when I lost the keys to my apartment at 5 am on a Sunday and even helped me get tickets to a Real Madrid game. I can't recommend this program enough.

Anonymous
Manhattan, Kansas
Kansas State University

10/10 Would DEFINITELY Recommend

One of my favorite things about my time in Alicante was that the USAC staff provides you with so many opportunities and fun adventures like tutoring kids in English or the hiking, running, or film clubs. They also take the time to find ways to show you areas around Alicante itself, and they make a day trip out of it filled with hiking at a beautiful spot. Then they surprised us with a huge picnic at the top, and took us to the beach afterward for the rest of the day. It was especially awesome because you KNEW that the staff cares about their students and really wanted us to get the best out of our experience in Spain.

Jordan
Flagstaff, AZ
Northern Arizona University

Fantastic Experience Would Do It Again!!!

This program was the best!!! The excursions the program planned were fantastic, the people were fantastic and extremely helpful, and the area was beautiful! I am so happy to have chosen to go on a study abroad with this program, I cannot say enough good things about this program!! The only thing is that I wish I could have spent more than just a summer session with this program.

In the Madrid field study the breakfast that was provided was not that great and could have been better because that was the only meal that was provided.

Brynn

Fall 2014 in Alicante

Before studying abroad, I had never left the United States. Going to Europe absolutely changed my life. I made many new friends, went on adventures every single day, and was faced with small challenges in my everyday life. I was immersed in an entirely new culture and I experienced things that some people will never experience in a lifetime. I would definitely recommend this program to anyone who is considering studying abroad.

There should be more opportunities to mingle with the locals as the Americans tend to stick together.

Michelle
Portland, Oregon. United States
Portland State University

Polar opposite habits, incredible lifestyle

At first, I had issues with the customer service in Spain - it is downright awful. The people in Spain tend to be more straightforward and cold, but then you realize you don't have to do things like leave a tip ever and it is more apparent why. They are very proud people which for me was an issue being the descendant of indigenous people who were oppressed and killed by the Spanish. You will see no recognition of that genocide caused by Spain but that is more pertinent to Latin American people for those who care about those matters. They WILL think your spanish is funny if you are a native speaker from another country, but for the most part I saw much more respect for other races than I do in the US. They are not as modern in Spain like in the US but very sustainable nonetheless. Their transportation system is incredible. There is a tram that goes everywhere and a bus. You can also walk almost everywhere- it is amazing. The city is one of the safest cities I have EVER been in. My roommates and I go out to parties, come back home late, and never felt in danger. It is a very laid-back, liberal city, and despite some rude people- the lifestyle they have makes you never want to leave! I traveled a good amount on weekends to other countries and truly grew attached to Alicante. I honestly feel like it is my second home. I would always miss it, even on weekends. I love how close the beach is, the clubs overlook the water, there are always great deals so it is also very cheap!!! I was very undecided between studying in Madrid, San Sebastian, or Alicante and I am so glad I chose Alicante. If you are into very big cities, then Alicante is not for you. It does not have a big city feel in my opinion, but it has everything you need. Big shopping malls, nice clubs (although not crazy ones like Barcelona obviously), a really clean beach, a beautiful view of a castle, great restaurants, and an amazing lifestyle. I learned to go party every single night and still went to school the next day. People don't drink the way Americans do, drinking is purely social. I thought it would be crazy and at times it was, but for the most part I think Spanish people just know that going out and being outside is crucial for happiness and being social! There is never an excess of drinking or being crazy. I really love it. There is no better place to be as a young person than Alicante! Also, the advisers at USAC will go OUT of their way to help you. They are truly amazing. Luis especially. The classes offered at USAC were challenging but fun, and you will learn much more than Spanish. The professors were so well rounded and always talked about current events, and so much more than the topics in class which were equally educational. Europeans are just so much more well rounded than Americans. They were also very supportive of our weekend travels and always had good advice. I will always carry this time period as the best time of my life. I hope to return very soon!

I would have wanted to be able to pay rent online like we do in the US. This was actually a big cause of stress for me. Our landlord was constantly wanting to set up times to meet and one of us would not show up or be late and she would become extremely upset. This is very old fashioned and we should not have been treated like children. There should be a drop box to leave rent or something. Also, I wish the program would have done icebreakers or introductions or something so we could all get to know each other better.

Kendall
Birmingham, Alabama

USAC ALICANTE

I just finished my semester abroad in Alicante using the USAC study abroad program. This program is supportive of you from day one when you decide you want to do study abroad. Your advisors in Nevada are fantastic and go the extra mile to make sure you are ready and prepared for going to study across seas. Once you get to Alicante or wherever you are going the support continues on. In Alicante, the staff there are very nice people, and want you to succeed and have a great time. I had a fantastic professor named Lordes. She really cares about her students and has a passion about them learning Spanish. If you are ever struggling she is more than happy to spend time with you outside of class to help you improve. The program offers so many fun field trips and events so you can get to know other USAC students. The housing I was provided was perfect for me. I asked to not live with USACs students. I wanted that arrangement so that I could have both friends from USAC and friends from other places in the world. I lived with 2 British , 1 Malaysian, 1 Polish, and 1 Spanish roommate(s). This opened me up to new cultures and amazing new friendships. I was living with Erasmus students. Having Erasmus roommates allowed me to make friends from all over Europe and learn about different cultures and ideas. I recommend you bond with USAC students, but also make time for making friends with locals and people who are not American. I strongly recommend doing the Intercambio program. This allowed me to be paired up with a Spanish local that wants to learns English just as much as I want to learn Spanish. We helped each other improve in our language skills. My intercambio became a good friend of mine. Lastly, I know many of you will want to explore the other surrounding countries which is great, however do take time to get to know the beautiful city of Alicante or wherever you go, and also explore many cities of your host country as well. My time in Madrid was so magical. Toledo is also a very interesting city to see. If you are studying in Spain during the fall semester you may want to visit Zaragoza in October and observe and participate in the Fiesta del Pillar. I was lucky to have a Spanish friend from Zaragoza who took me to her home in Zaragoza and introduce to me this annual week long party and celebration there. Enjoy your time abroad and savor each moment. The time goes fast because the experience is amazing.

The only thing I did not like was that most of our work we did was not from our textbooks. It came from many copies of paper. We are asked to buy many textbooks that we barley used and that costed me a lot of euros that I could have used on other things. Either the program should be using the textbooks more or the textbooks should not be used at all.

Jenn
Boston, ma
University of Massachusetts- Boston

Perfect way to spend my summer

I studied abroad with USAC in Alicante last summer. I was 26 wih a Masters and was my first time studying abroad and first time spending an extended amount of time in a foreign country. I was going with the goal of taking a graduate level course and learning a bit of Spanish along the way. The USAC program helped me achieve these goals and so much more. My professor for Spanish Gender Studies (Pilar) was one of the best professors I've ever had. She cares so deeply about the subject, her students, and education in general. She helped me tailor my research paper to be relevant to the course, my interests, and my job, and she was an invaluable resource throughout the project. I decided to audit an intermediate Spanish course as well, and had a wonderful professor (Paloma) who understood that I was a beginner and challenged me to learn as much as possible in our short four week course. I did spend a lot of time Monday through Fridays on campus at UA , but I don't think that got in my way of spending time with my apartment mates , going out for tapas, salsa dancing, shopping, to bars , museums, and playa posiguet. I had an intercambio who I still keep in touch with, and went on a few awesome excursions led by the incredible director, Luis. In the short 4 weeks of this summer program, I made long term friends, learned about The history and role of women in Spain, aprendí un poquito de la lengua, explored parts of Spain I never would have seen on my own, lived in downtown Alicante, and had an overall amazing time.

I loved the Alicante program and would certainly go back. This summer I was interested in traveling to Central America and ISAC didn't have enough graduate level options in that area, so I went with another program.

Sydney
Reno,NV

January in Spain

I LOVED living in Alicante. Even though it was winter, it never went below 60 and was sunny everyday. Friends and I traveled to Barcelona one weekend as well. The Resident Director was so friendly and helpful!

I wish I was there for longer!

Holly
Alicante, Spain

USAC Alicante Experience

There is a local market where you can buy fresh groceries and the sellers are so kind and happy to help teach spanish. I lived a 5 minute walk from the beach and in the center of downtown. Everything is centrally located and I could easily see the entire city in a day. You can take the metro to school with a pass. Living here is really cheap compared to many parts of Europe. In USAC, the staff is great and will help at anytime with anything. They set me up with housing, roommates, and a job. When my boyfriend hurt himself riding his bike they took him to the ER with no questions asked. Everyone was so welcoming and I don't regret a single day.

Make classes closer in time during the day so you can have free afternoons..

Bridget
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
University of Iowa

Summer Session in Alicante

My session was short; classes were small and teachers did not follow the syllabi but instead changed lesson plans to focus on our weaknesses. I learned more in 5 weeks there than in any of my classes back in the US.

The host family I was placed with absorbed me into their family right away. I felt extremely welcomed, included, and loved. I was terrified to move to another country and live with strangers but my house mom was more accepting and helpful than I could have dreamt of.

The program offered multiple weekend field trips to nearby cities in a very short time frame. This program was well rounded; I feel like they were able to share every aspect of Spanish life with us in every way imaginable (through trips, food, class structure, housing, etc).

My experience in Alicante changed something in me; I have realized how much I do not know about other cultures and how much more I want to learn. Because of this program, I have returned to Spain and am working as a language assistant in Palma de Mallorca. I had to find a way to come back and I am not sure I ever want to go home!

Zak
University of Mount Union

Best International Experience

My time studying abroad was everything I had wished for, a good host family, great classes, amazing program directors, and good people. My best tip would be to live with a host family in your city and have an open mind - especially with meeting the locals.

Amanda
Rohnert Park, California
Sonoma State University

Life Changing!

Everyday riding the bus to school, to becoming a spanish college student, to being an independent women in this new city of Alicante. This experience USAC provided me with was a never ending learning and life changing experience. I not only grew as a person, but was a ble to fully embrace another culture with the means USAC thoughtfully provided me with. The was endless possibilities, opportunities, and experiences that were handed to me and was really able to take it all in mentally, physically, emotionally. I am still liberated off this life changing opportunity I am so grateful to have had. Being a college student with little means to be able to travel overseas, USAC made it happen. The Staff, the USAC Community, the entire organization made one my life long dreams come true. If it wasn't for their constant support, kind advise, and willingness to work with your financial situations, I wouldn't be on here to express my gratitude. So thank you USAC, I 100% support all that you do. Thank You.

I know there is an orientation meeting in the beginning when we first arrive in the new country but maybe a check in meeting with your students half way through their voyage.

Erica
Sacramento, California
California State University- Chico

San Sebastián

The experience I had in this city and the study abroad program was unreal. Any fears, doubts or nerves went out the window when I arrived in San Sebastián with all my new friends and the USAC advisors. They made it clear that they would be there to help with anything we needed and they were not lying. After a month or so there I got extremely sick and I had an advisor take me to the doctors and translate my symptoms and medicine I needed. In San Sebastián it was easy to get to school by foot but also by bike and usac made it easy by giving us bike rental places to go get them. All of the students housing there was also amazing. I lived in an apartment with 3 other girls and we lived right in the art of old town. Everything about my experience was incredible. From the travel the travel and weekend trip to immersing myself in the Spanish cultures. I highly recommend studying abroad and using usac as your program.

Off the top of my head honestly there isn't much I can really think of they could improve. They were very informative, helpful and were always there for us.

Emily
Stamford, Connecticut
Wesleyan University

Most incredible experience of my life

I do not have enough amazing things to say about USAC or about Alicante. The on-site staff (Luis, Sylvain and Veronica) are incredible and are always in the office available to help with anything you could possibly need, such as travel or restaurant recommendations. All of the USAC professors are great- they're very clear, extremely fun to be in class with, incredibly nice and overall great teachers. What I am most grateful for is that I decided to live with a host family. I knew from personal experience with different program providers in other parts of Spain that host family situations could be risky, however USAC did an exceptional job choosing the families and everyone who decided to live with a family loved the experience. I only had a host mother in my family and she treated me like family and was an amazing cook. For anyone considering studying abroad, I believe that living with a family is truly the only way to become fully immersed in the culture and the best way to learn the language. I also really enjoyed being set up with an intercambio (a local student language partner) as it was a great way to meet/hang out with locals and practice my Spanish. The excursions USAC took us on were a lot of fun (and we were always fed really well!) and Alicante is an amazing city. It is small enough so that everything is relatively close (and walkable) but it still has everything I could want in a city (good shopping, fun night life, great restaurants, beaches, etc.). It is also very close by tram to many cute cities nearby that are beautiful and fun to explore so there is never a shortage of things to do. Overall, this summer I met a lot of great people, improved my Spanish drastically and experienced a lot of personal growth. I cannot wait to have the opportunity to return to Alicante and I highly recommend USAC and Alicante to anyone interested in studying abroad (which I believe everyone should do).

I believe some of my courses could have been a little more rigorous and I would've liked to have more time to explore the cities we visited during our excursions.

Gina
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Old Dominion University

BEST TIME OF MY LIFE

I knew going abroad for the first time alone would be a challenge. I knew it would be a challenge for me, but with the people of USAC to guide me- I was never alone. The staff was always cheerful and willing to help. They made the students a priority and I felt so valued. I took a sailing class in which our sailing teacher (Esperanza) gave us her full attention and helped my boat practice spanish every session. Sailing in the Mediterranean was a highlight of my trip that I will never forget. The excursions were well thought out and planned and left me stress free. I enjoyed every minute. At times- homework was avoided because there were so many fun things to do (especially during hogueras), so I would have preferred more classwork and less homework. I wish I had a heads up on what to wear before leaving the states. Every one dresses well... every day. I wound up buying a bunch of new clothes and leaving half of my suitcase behind. Prepare to spend lots of money on lots of cool new things you'll want to try. Be open, be active , be freeeeee! Spain is a wonderful country and I was so lucky to be there. I am looking into moving to Alicante to teach English after I graduate :)
I highly highly highly recommend studying with USAC and studying abroad in general! But for Spain, you couldn't find a better group than Veronika, Luis and Sylvain.

Less homework. Possibly an overnight or weekend stay in Valencia! I felt that there was so much to see there and we only had a day trip.

Serena
San Luis Obispo
California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo

Alicante es de Puta Madre!

From the second you land in the airport and step foot in Alicante, you get this reassuring feeling that yes, self, you have chosen the correct place to immerse yourself in a different culture and make amazing memories in. Alicante's natural beauty of playa and castillo made it perfect to go wander the city and get lost in. It's a city but has a small town feel, which made it a great home away from home. The program and university staff are super accommodating, helpful, and genuinely excited to meet and help their students. The nature, city life, and el barrio make it a super fun place for students explore. The staff also takes students to near by towns and beaches for cultural exposure and group bonding. The memories made will last with me forever and were some of the best anyone could ever wish to have in a lifetime. Alicante will always hold a special place in my heart as a place in which my mind and soul grew tremendously.

I'd suggest a mandatory questionnaire be filled out by each student asking about his/her living habits and lifestyle, that way the program can do its best to assure similar/compatible roommates.

USAC is a non-profit consortium of U.S. universities that collaborates to offer affordable, academic and authentic study abroad programs. There are abundant opportunities to immerse in the culture, history, and academics of other countries providing an unforgettable experience. Each program is designed to help you