USAC Spain: Alicante

Study abroad at the University of Alicante in Spain! Coursework concentrates on Spanish, European and Women's/Gender Studies, as well as many options to help students improve their Spanish language skills.

Alicante is a beautiful Spanish city located right on the Mediterranean. Its consistent temperatures and sandy beaches make it a prime destination for students interested in relaxing outdoors and on the coast.

• Study at one of the most beautiful campuses in Spain with gorgeous landscaping, modern architecture, and a modern sports center, indoor swimming pool, and other facilities
  • Immerse yourself in Spanish culture with volunteering opportunities, internships, direct enrollment at the university, workshops, conversation partner program, and excursions
  • Enjoy sunny weather and lovely beaches by the Mediterranean Sea with many opportunities for outdoor activities like hiking, rowing, sailing, and windsurfing
  • Join in local celebrations, open air markets, and the lively atmosphere of the Mediterranean lifestyle

Hi Allison, Most track 1 students can expect to be in class 5 days a week, but it will depend on where you are studying abroad. You will get your class schedule during orientation. If you have further questions about courses you can always email our enrollment team at [email protected] . Thank you!
We have some pictures on our website here: http://usac.unr.edu/study-abroad-programs/spain/alicante/photo-gallery. For specific location information you can email us at [email protected] Thank you! -Sara
Most classes through USAC are in the morning but if you take classes directly through University of Alicante, they really vary. I had a class from 4-8pm for a week but my USAC classes all ended roughly around 2pm =)
The most common housing options in Alicante are in shared apartments with U.S., International and/or local students, or living with a host family. I believe the short winter program is the only one that has dorm options. Otherwise it isn't common to have dorms in Spain. Most locals live at home. They all have pros and cons depending on what you are looking to gain from the experience. Living with...

Jack

The Best Decision I Made in College

Making the opportunity to study abroad with USAC may have been the all time best decision I made during my college career. Alicante is a wonderful city, from the scenery to the rich culture there was never a dull moment during my time there. The locals are friendly when you take the time to learn about their culture and go out of your way to learn the language and speak with them. There were so many places near by to explore along the Mediterranean Sea and living like a Spaniard could not have been a cooler experience. The USAC staff were wonderful and always there to help, they would never judge your circumstance and no problem was big enough for them to help you through. I learned so much about the language and culture in my four months living there you would have thought I had studied for years back home! I also met people in my program that are now some of my closest friends, we all shared the desire to get out of our comfort zone and immerse ourselves in Spanish culture together. My only regret is I wish I had the opportunity to study over there for a full year. I would recommend anyone thinking about studying abroad to do it, there's a great deal of opportunity for financial help to do so if you research. And I fully recommend looking into Alicante because at the end of my experience I feel as though it will always be a home away from home for me!

More opportunities to meet local students at the University in order to help USAC students integrate into the local culture. More opportunities to join local groups for language and extracurricular learning to also help immerse.
Dante

USAC Alicante, Spain

The greatest experience of my life. Universidad de Alicante had great professors, my apartment was perfectly located near the beach, I made some of the greatest friends of my life, all while indulging in Spanish culture. I will remember this experience for the rest of my life. I loved all the field trips that we went on, the courses I took were very interesting, and USAC was always there to help me with whatever I needed.

It was perfect the way it was.
Levi

Learning Spanish, and

Such an amazing way to learn Spanish, and to experience a new culture. I went into the program knowing little to no Spanish, and left being able to hold pretty reasonable conversations with almost anyone I met. Having class in Spanish every single day and living with only spanish-speaking roommates was the key to learning so much so quickly. I have to say, that the dialect spoken around Alicante (Valencian) was much harder to understand, though. When I visited places in Spain that spoke Castillian spanish, I found I could speak and understand much more. I think that if I had studied in Madrid, for example, where they speak a little more clearly, I would have been able to learn even more Spanish than I did in Alicante.

Touring in smaller groups would give us a more genuine experience when visiting places outside of Alicante as a group. When you show up in a tour bus with 50 people, you're already off on a bad foot with being able to interact genuinely with locals. Smaller groups of 10-15 would be better.
Heidi

Awesome experience

I went to Alicante in Fall 2016. I met amazing new friends from all over the U.S. and even some who happen to go to Cal Poly, my home university. I lived with a host family, mainly just a host mom whose daughters, aged mid 30's, came to visit every Sunday. I also had an American living with me in my host family as well. I became great friends with my American roommate. We both loved our host mom and her daughters. We learned a great deal of Spanish because our host family spoke zero English. We took the tram or bus to school everyday. I really liked that because it made me feel more a part of the community there. I also signed up for a program where I gave private lessons to Spanish girls wanting to learn English. The girls were ages 7 and 11. I adored them and they loved me too. I was able to explore all parts of the city while I was there and Alicante really gained a special part in my heart after this experience. I am glad to feel connected to another part of the world now. Coming back to the states, I feel like I really learned so much by living in Spain, but I didn't realize it until I came back and noticed all the changes. Overall, I think everyone in the states needs to study abroad because I can't think of one negative thing about it.

The only thing that could be improved about this program is a real, and better estimate of the money you will be spending. I spent a lot more than expected.
Caroline

Go to Alicante!

I loved my semester in Alicante. I would recommend living with a host family. It really helped me improve my Spanish and get to know the city. If you want to live with a host family but you're nervous, just go for it! You'll learn so much The staff at USAC were superb and they also made my trip great. They were always very helpful when we had questions. They also brought us on amazing field trips to Granada and to Morocco. The trip to Morocco was my favorite trip from my entire semester abroad. Alicante itself was a beautiful seaside city that I would recommend to any traveler!

N/a
Tanner

A Great Experience in Alicante!

My time in Alicante with USAC was one of the best study abroad experiences I've ever taken part in. I lived in the provided apartment housing opposed to living with a host family, and while that may have resulted in a more cultural experience, my apartment was very large, clean, updated, and it had laundry and a dishwasher in unit, along with a balcony! The guided tours were so much fun and informative, the transportation was extremely reliable and we never veered from the schedule we were provided, which was appreciated. My Spanish class was so informative, and it's important to note that it was done in such a short amount of time, and Maria was one of my favorite instructors I've ever had, even in America. A truly great experience - - I would recommend it to anyone.

I don't really have any suggestions -- I was never disappointed.
Jessica

Study Abroad in Spain!

Spain was the most beautiful place to live for 6 months. Alicante is wonderful because it has everything you would ever want. If you want to party all night long, there are clubs for that. If you want to have a nice day at the beach and relax, you can do that. If you want to take a tour and see the culture they have that too! The program also plans a lot of trips to outside cities like Granada and trips to other beaches. It was like a have a whole new family with my peers from school, my advisers, and my host family that I lived with.

Kendall

USAC Alicante is amazing!

I very much enjoyed my time in Alicante through the USAC program. I was able to see, do, and learn so many things that I don't believe I would have anywhere else. My experience studying abroad through this program enabled me to challenge myself and have the time of my life, all at once. I was able to meet so many great people from across the world and made lifelong friendships that have made it possible to go on even more adventures since. The local program staff is also very kind and supportive. Academically, I was able to advance my Spanish skills more during my six months abroad than in the five years of Spanish classes I had taken previously. I also sparked an interest in the field of international education and I am considering pursuing a career path related to helping other students get an amazing study abroad experience. Alicante is full of fun activities from hiking to the two castles within the city, lounging on the beach, and going to local soccer games. The city also has amazing transportation including buses, trams, train systems, and an international airport. It is very easy to navigate the city and travel outside of it. One of my favorite experiences during my time abroad was being able to travel to Morocco for a field study and I know that the trip, being facilitated by USAC staff, was much more meaningful than if I would have gone on my own. Studying abroad with the USAC Alicante program was the best experience of my life and I highly recommend it to anyone wanting to study abroad.

Audrey

Best decision I ever made

I relied heavily on reviews when making my study abroad decision, so I felt compelled to leave one myself. I spent the Spring 2017 semester in Alicante and as my review title suggests, it was the best decision I ever made.
Alicante is the perfect city to study abroad in, in my opinion. I wasn't looking for a larger city like Madrid or Barcelona because I wanted a more authentic experience with less foreigners and that's what I found in Alicante. Fewer people speak English, so you use and practice your Spanish much more (but you can definitely get by without being fluent- all my Track I friends were fine). Alicante is not a tiny city by any means though: amazing nightlife, busy airport with plenty of nonstop flights to major European cities (London, Dublin, Paris, etc.) and lots of people. It is an incredibly beautiful city and is within an hour of most destinations on the Costa Blanca (the region Alicante is in) like Calpe, Altea, Benidorm, etc. I would really recommend visiting as many of these sites as possible; they are all so breathtakingly beautiful.
The host families and landlords have been with the program for years so they truly are the best of the best. I am still in contact with my host family now that I am home. I really enjoyed my experience in a host family and would highly recommend it, but a lot of my friends also really loved their apartment experience so it all boils down to personal choice.
Coursework was not bad at all in my opinion. Most professors understand that you are abroad and try not to bog you down with work. I still feel like I learned a lot and grew in my Spanish abilities. The professors are also so sweet and care about their students. After turning in all my final exams, all my professors hugged us goodbye and wished us well. Track III and IV do not have Friday classes which was ideal for weekend travel.
The support from the staff was unbelievable. They are not just staff members, but your family for the semester. They will accompany you to the on-campus doctor, helped drive people to their internships, organize weekly activities like soccer, basketball, hiking, etc., and then bigger excursions to explore the Alicante region. They have free printing in the USAC office, so I would go in there to print something out and ended up hanging out with Luis, Sylvain, and Veronica for 30+ minutes just chatting.
I absolutely loved my semester in Alicante and would recommend anyone to do the USAC Alicante program!

The only regret I have is not being able to year-long!
Christian

Semester in Alicante

Before my semester in Alicante I had never been to Europe. Never really traveled that much. Now I can't get enough of it and want to move to Europe after graduation. Alicante is a very safe city to walk in at all hours of the day or night, has a good metro and bus system and an excellent, bustling nightlife. City is very cheap to live in, beautiful beaches and weather, and the best mediterranean food has to offer. The on site program director and assistants helped us with everything we needed, including booking activities that we suggested or wanted to do. They actively suggested things for us to do and suggested places to eat, sometimes took us places to eat. The university has a beautiful campus that reminds you of those at home. The program sets you up with language partners that help you practice your spanish and you help them with english. This helps you meet locals. Excellent program that I would definitely do again.

Sarah

The Best Semester of My Life

After my first week in Alicante, it truly felt like home. Everything about the city was perfect. It was easy to navigate, all the restaurants were good, the people were friendly, and it was by the beach! I made some of my beach friends studying abroad that I couldn't imagine life without them. A huge part of why my experience was so positive was due to USAC. Everyone agreed that our program had the best housing locations, teachers, and advisors! They were always there with advice and for help.

Brooke

USAC- Alicante, Spain is the #1 Place to be

My time spent in Alicante, Spain with the USAC program provider was the greatest 6 months of my life. I had no problems with safety or the apartment that I was living in. The staff were amazing at making you feel comfortable in this unknown place. They were willing to help with anything you needed (from wanting to get more involved in the Spanish culture to needing to go to the doctor). I highly recommend this amazingly beautiful beach town and USAC as your program provider.

Jake

Life in Alicante

Alicante is an excellent city to experience what Spain has to offer: warm and friendly people, great cafes and tapas bars, the Mediterranean Sea, a vibrant nightlife, a beautiful language, and many more aspects about the Spanish culture. USAC is a great platform to get more involved in the community. Luis and his staff provide great support and constantly emailing students, inviting them to different events/asking them if they want to do certain things in the community. The instruction from Lourdes was very informative and engaging. She came with fun exercises to do every day. The public transportation was great as well. The bus and the tram connected the city to everywhere you could possibly need to go. The only negative aspect about the city , was the limited flight options because of the small airport.

More flexibility with course scheduling.
Savannah

An all encompassing experience

When I first arrived in Alicante, it was in a state of anxiety. The woman with whom I was going to live was suddenly uncertain that she could take me in, as her mother had been taken to the hospital, with the worst seemingly inevitable. The USAC staff was so supportive during this terribly uncertain time, making sure I was kept in the loop and constantly working to resolve this issue. Everything worked out for my housing situation and was able to have a wonderful host mother. Yet the USAC staff never abated in their dedication to making my experience, and all the other participant's experiences the best they could be. They made themselves available and worked hard to ensure that field trips and outings were offering the greatest potential for enjoyment to the students.The area of Alicante begs for enjoyment and provides it, with fun downtown areas, beautiful local beaches, hiking, and so much more. I loved Alicante because of what it gave me, which was a real love for Spain.

Michael

Life Changing

This program is designed with the students in mind. The program advisors are there every step of the way for the students with the full intention of providing a better experience for them. The city is located right on the Med and is just a short tram ride away from the school. The local people are extremely nice and patient, especially when trying to practice your Spanish. The city provides great public transportation including a bus to and from the airport. All housing locations are centered around the city center and no more than a 10 minute walk to the beach.

Obviously no program is perfect, but flawless is not out of the question. It is tough to comment on change that I would like to see within this program. Nothing stands out to me in regards to something that needs a change or improvement, therefore, I would like to decline to comment on how this program could be improved.